Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• bett1ebett1e Posts: 16
    I will go to to the dealership before church tomorrow and post what the options are. The salesman didn't know ABS was included and then made it seem like a big deal. I would appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • I find Edmunds.com TMV and carsdirect.com pricing helpful when I buy cars. I like to pay a few hundred over dealer cost. Of course for hot cars you pay more. I go to the dealer's lot on Sunday and try to find the car I want. The last two times I found an Echo and a Rav4 that we wanted at a dealer close enough to home. I noted the options and all sticker costs. Went home and priced them out using above two web sites. Went back on Monday. Told the salesperson what car I wanted, he gave me his lowest price, I told him what I wanted to pay, and about 60 seconds later we agreed on a price. I said I wanted to pay the average of Edmunds TMV and carsdirect. He came within $150. No nonsence deal from a no nonsence dealer.
  • tcpip1tcpip1 Posts: 121
    I have found that the best way to shop a RAV4 is to visit one or two (or more if time permits) dealers.

Write down all the options on the window sticker of the car you like.

Write down both MSRP and invoice prices for each option, and compute the total price of the car, MSRP and invoice. This will give you an idea of how close the paid price is close to the invoice price.

I have found that you can buy a 2004 RAV4 for close to invoice at this time of year (lower than the TMV price) in central NJ area; dealers average around 10 in stock.
  • I bought my RAV4 on the day after Thanksgiving. It's a basic model, titainum color, with roof rack, cargo cover, floor mats, and mud guard. Come with dash board rattle for free. I paid $20,000 + tax and title fee. It may be a couple hundred dollar higher than average. It's below MSRP anyway. The first 2 tank of gas was around 23 MPG.
  • We bought a 2002 RAV4 (wife) a year ago and did not get the free dash rattle. So I was happy when I bought my 2004 and did get the free dash rattle. Thought they would have ended that free promotion already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    all the options. I couldn't find the invoice amount on a couple of them. I have contacted another dealer to see if he can get me a lower price. The Blue Spectra sport seems like it may be a top seller but I don't want to get taken by a dealer misrepresenting the price paid if they didn't actually pay that price.
    There are two DIOs that I know of that are not listed on this site:

CF Carpet Floor Mats/Cargo Mat $112/$184 MSRP
    GN Cargo Net $34/$49
  • Edmunds does not list all options on the TMV page. carsdirect.com lists most or all of them.

Best thing to do using Edmunds/carsdirect.com,IMVHO, is to compute MSRP and dealer invoice on the exact car you want.
  • Auto trans 973
    Roof rack 176
    5 piece carpet set 112
    Mudguards 48 cargo net 34
  • So far I've gone to 38. How high can I go without breaking the speakers?
    I think I have most of the dealer costs now. There is one option that I don't want and that is ToyotoGuard which is listed at $699.00 but I may have to stuck it up and just deal with it.
    Is that the extended warranty?

I have not seen this one listed on the window stickers here.

If you don't want it, just tell them to delete it; you can always buy one from the dealers who can accommodate you.
  • Everything is negotiable. If that's an extended warranty, just say you don't want it period. Same with window etching. On my last three cars they had window etching pre-printed on the sales order. I just said no and they were fine with that - even though one car had the etching already. If Toyotaguard is paint sealer and undercoasting, etc, say you won't pay for it as you don't need it.

If they persist that you must buy it, go to another dealer. No, run to another dealer. In the last few years I've bought or helped people buy many cars. Some dealers are great, some are terrible. When you find a good one, remember them.
    and rental car program; it may be okay or not. All Alabama Toyota dealers add that. I will do the invoice without that and see if I can get them to come down. If not, I'll just go somewhere else. Thanks.
    A car buying site lists the cargo net as a standard feature. Is that right?

How about carpet floor mats? Does the "L" upgrade include the carpet floor mats?

Insiders, please help.
  • I'm not sure about your state. In Chicago, both the cargo net and carpet floor mats are not standard feature. My RAV4 come with the following options:
      Roof rack, remote entry, day time driving light, floor mats, cargo cover, and mud guard.
      I bought the bug defector and visors from pepboy for $100.
    Thanks for sharing the info.

I think a few car pricing sites that I visited do not have the most up-to-date info about the 2004 RAV4 options.

One site listed the cargo net as a standard feature; another site includes the carpet floor mats in the "L" package.
  • AWD RAV 4 "L" or Subaru Forester XS. Anyone else come down to that choice? Any advice?
  • I've just paid $20,500 for 4WD RAV4 including: 50 state Emissions, Roof Rack, Front & Rear Mudgurds, Rear Privacy Glass, Carpet Floor Mats. Did I overpay?
    According to this site, an auto 4WD Titanium Metallic one with your options but without the carpet floor mats (there is no carpet floor mats option on this site) has a TMV of $20,596 in my area.

The 2004 RAV4 is a well built car from Japan.

Enjoy the car!