Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    Great feedback. Thanks!
    AGREED! More balance under braking too. My current and last car, both fwd, have had four snows on. Bought 'em mounted on steel wheels so I can change them myself in spring and fall and know it was done right. i.e. use a bloody torque wrench!
  • I need to get a torque wrench. Can you recommend an exact make and model?

Thanks
  • I hear the Rav4 is getting a face lift, has it already happened or coming?
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    Model year 2006 is new body style, I'm told.
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    The dashboard noise discussed in previous posts is back though not quite as bad as before, but still there nonetheless. It can definitely be heard over some paved roads, moderately bumpy, etc. Two (2) fixes have been applied by the dealership :

1.) Cowl fix kit (did not help at all as applied).

2.) Dash rattle fix kit per Toyota (noise started

about two (2) weeks after being in shop

overnight for fix).

I was contacted by the dealer customer satisfaction dept. about the fix, and I received a

follow-up call from the Service Advisor because of it. They want us to bring the vehicle back in the shop again. Good-sign, but very inconvenient, d/t wife's work schedule. Will try again and report back. My wife is about ready to trade d/t the dash-rattle. Sounds goofey, but she's pretty TO'd. Otherwise she loves the vehicle. For free it's worth a try again.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Ours fixed perfectly now for close to 4 years. Some dealerships are terrible. Maybe try another one?
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Posts: 247
    There are some drawings shown on the Autoweek forum. Look nice to me. Hope drawing are corret and do not have the spare wheel in back..
  • Has anybody driven a rav where the timing belt has broken while driving? We have a 96 rav with 57000 miles. The manual says to check the belt at 60000 miles, a mechanic wants to sell me a new one for 500 dollars. I'm trying to decide if this ia really necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    a mechanic wants to sell me a new one for 500 dollars.

$500? Does that inlcude a new water pump, pulleys and other belts?

tidester, host
  • No, that only includes the installation of a new timing belt. The tensioner, water pump and anything else would be extra.
  • gpoltgpolt Posts: 113
    Don't know if this is the appropriate forum, but for those interested in the '06, there are several web cites showing drawings of the newly styled model, and what appears to be reliable source states that a V6 RAV4 will appear a few months later (perhaps December or January).
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    If it was me, and I was planning to keep the RAV for a while, I'd get the belt replaced around 60k miles (which I read is the mfr recommendation).

I'd also shop for prices at the most convenient Toyota dealerships, and get the water pump changed out at the same time.

With only 57k miles on it, your RAV might have a lot of life left.

If I thought I might sell the RAV in a year or two, I'd probably take my chances not replacing the belt. Judging by the mileage on it, maybe you don't stray too far from home.

Have you had the '96 RAV since new?

Any problems?

Good luck.
  • Yes, Wehave had the rav since it was new. No real problems. It's been back to the dealer one time. The cover over the torque converter got bent in the snow and the teeth on the flywheel started hitting it. That's about it.
    Sounds like you've got a keeper.

So you have had the '96 since new.

Just imagine all the car payments you aren't making these days.

-ss4
  • ronstoyronstoy Posts: 55
    I would be interested in some info on the 2006 RAV4, I am starting the search for a small SUV, in the CRV, RAV4, Hyundai Santa FE or Tuscon.

I like the Highlander too, but I rub my head on the roof of the car.....Same with the Lexus RX330.
    I have an old Snap-On that must be 25 years old. If I needed to replace it I'd go with a no name cheapo. Had to borrow one of these a couple times and I was able to get the wheels off no problem in the spring.
    I've seen some '06 RAV4 info, but it is on another site with a message board, and therefore I can't direct you to it, according to Edmunds' rules.

But it is nothing definitive, just spy photos and speculation, so you're not missing much.

-ss4
  • cindyccindyc Posts: 7
    having a problem with our 2002 toyota rav4, oil changed last in oct 2004. driving home on jan 23rd, the oil light came on then pulling off the road, every indicator light went on then the car stalled out. had the car towed to a mechanic that said the oil was like mud, then had the car towed to a dealer where it sits today, and they can't tell us what is wrong with it. looking online we see this is a common problem with certain toyotas from 1997-2002 that toyota recognized, we are wondering if anyone out there knows anything about it???
    Actually, the sludge problem occurs if you do not change oil often enough. Certain Toyota engines MAY have been more prone to developing sludge, but only if the oil changes were not often enough. I have talked to two Toyota mechanics (at a very large dealership) that say they have never seen even one single sludge case that was legit. They said it was always a case of owner neglect, and people on this website have said the same thing.

I am not saying that this is your fault, but just clarifying what you saw about the 1997-2002.

How many miles on the car, how many miles between oil changes, how long (months) between oil changes, has filter always been changed, who did the oil changes???
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    The RAV motor is not included with the sludge problem. Are you the original owner of the RAV? How many miles are on it? Was the oil changed on a regular basis? The answer to these questions should help determine what the problem is. The RAV has a pretty reliable engine. However, anything is possible.
  • pilot130pilot130 Posts: 319
    Truth be told, there are a number of reasons why your Rav4 engine oil could have become "like mud".(BTW,That engine wasn't one of the ones which was alledged to have problems.)

As Mcdawgg says, lack of, or extended oil changes

are by far the most common reasons for sludge development.

And yes, there has been considerable discussion about sludge in the past.

In spite of what some insisted, it eventually turned out there was far more hype than substance to the controversy.

When the dust finally settled, it also became clear that Mcdawgg's assessment and experience is as close to the truth as it gets.

In your case it's difficult to provide any kind of helpful information without more information from you AND your dealer.

When an assessment by your dealer is made on what the cause (or causes) might be, it would be interesting to hear what was determined.
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    Cindyc, Can you describe the "mud"? Is it the color of a chocolate milkshake (such as when water or coolant mixes with oil) or more dark brown, almost black and tarry looking?

The others are right in that the Toyota engine sludge campaign was limited to certain models and years and does not include the Rav-4. If you maintained your engine according to Toyota specifications and developed sludge, then you could have recourse through the new car drive train warranty, if still in effect. Toyota has placed inserts in some vehicles stating specifically that the warranty will not cover sludge. If that is the case, and again, if you maintained your car according to Toyota's specifications, then the next step would be lawsuit or arbitration.
  • cindyccindyc Posts: 7
    We did get the oil changed on a regular basis, and this family has been going to the same mechanic for over 20 years. the car had about 45,000 miles on it. Most of the miles were put on it in the first year, but the last year and a half, we didn't drive it as much. we have 4 oil change receipts for 2004, the last one was in october, and I had a baby on october 20, so we really haven't driven a lot at all since then. By what little the dealership is saying, we are guessing the car needs a new engine. we don't know what we are going to do, it seems unacceptable that a car we bought new and had oil changes regularly in would die like this.
  • pilot130pilot130 Posts: 319
    For what it's worth Scoti1, I think it's a bit premature to speculate at any length about what little is known so far.

As I understand it, the first mechanic said oil was like "mud", which can mean many things.

The car "stalled out", which can also mean a bunch of possibilities.

Now the vehicle is at the dealer being diagnosed, and the owner apparently hasn't yet received any info as to cause, effect, or repair cost.

Speculating about the color of the "mud", or dispensing advice about sludge at this juncture, might raise unwarranted concerns.

I would like more info, especially what the dealer has to say, before raising any flags. I have some ideas about what might be involved with this problem, but without more details it might unduly confuse things.

These people are (justifiably) worried, and I think it's unwise to create additional concerns at this point.
    By the way, this would still be under warranty - 5 years/60,000 miles. So you should have nothing to worry about, as long as the proper maintenance was done. But we are all curious...
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    mcdawgg, I would hope it wouldn't be an issue, except for that nasty notice Toyota places in the owners manuals about not covering sludge under warranty. If it isn't sludge, and the engine has been maintained properly, then yes, the warranty should take care of it. My recommendation is to take it to the dealer, cindyc, with all of your backup maintenance information in hand.

Also, cindyc, I am still interested in the appearance and consistency of the mud if you have that information.
  • Unfortunately the car is over an hour away from us. We were driving home from my mothers when it broke down, and even though we have AAAplus, they would only tow it 10 miles because of all the snow we had. The mechanic we had it towed to first couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, so we towed it to the dealer where it has sat for over a week. we faxed all the oil change receipts to them, but they are saying they are useless because the mechanic we take it to didn't write the mileage or vin# on the receipt. My husbands family has been going to this mechanic for over 20 years, so I don't think he did anything shady like not really changing the oil. our warranty is for 75,000 miles 72 months, we are under both. We have a newborn baby, and my Honda was stolen less than 2 weeks before the Rav broke down. We are both working and taking care of a newborn with 1 rental car and can't really get down there until we have some info to go on. Toyota has said they will call us every day, but don't. We end up calling them, they say they will call us back, but don't. No matter what happens, we are getting rid of that car when we get it back. I just pray they do the right thing.
  • so, surprise, toyota never called us back, so we called them again only to find out that toyota will not cover it, and the car needs a new engine. it will only cost $8,000 for a new one, and $6,000 for a used one, seems reasonable for a $20,000 car. it makes me feel sick...tell me, other than regular oil changes, what other maintenence should we have had done on a car with 45,000 miles that if we didn't have it done, it would destroy the engine?
  • 719b719b Posts: 216
    doesn't toyota have a 60,000 mile drive train warranty? seems if you have the receipts for all your oil changes, they have to cover it