Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,794
    Sounds like a good message to recharge the Honda CR-V vs.Toyota RAV4 discussion with. Anyone cross shopping these two models, please check it out.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• dannykadannyka Posts: 115
    Well, the stats I found are as follows:

RAV4 March sales: 6,233, YTD: 15,660
    CR-V March sales: 13,639 YTD: 34,991

These are from Toyota's North American Sales and American Honda Sales reports for March 2005.

Not quite 4x, more like 2x, but definitely more.

--Dan
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    The CRV is a good choice, not a better choice. The main reason why the CRV sells more is that it is larger than the RAV. The RAV on the other hand is better handling and has a slightly more functionnal interior. The CRV is also more mainstreem in design. The RAV is on the radical side. One more thing, the CRV's 4WD system is on demand (front wheel drive until slippage is detected). The RAV's 4 wheels are always engaged. You hit right on... buy what's right for you.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    IF you need the room, Honda might be better. Or Toyota Highlander (my choice). Got me laughing about the Honda salesman - you should go back just to prove him wrong about the sales figures and make him look like a jackass. Ford sells more Escapes/Tributes/Mariners than CRV or Rav, but that does not mean it is all around better. Depends on your needs or wants. New larger Rav should be out later this year.
  • nikworthnikworth Posts: 1
    I am purchasing a used 2003 RAV4. It doesn't have a roof rack at the moment, but I plan on getting one soon. Are there pros/cons to the traditional black or silver (JAC) roof racks sold by Toyota. Is the load capacity on these the same. Do both of these racks use Yakima and/or Thule accessories? Or would I be better off going with a Yakima or Thule rack system? Thanks.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I'd love to know any available details on the 2006 RAV. What changes will it have? Will a hybrid be available?
  • bolawsbolaws Posts: 1
    $500.00???????? what a ripe off.
    i just installed a timing belt on a 1998 rav4 2.0 for $100 bucks. It took about 4 hours and everything is ez to get to.
  • chas0215chas0215 Posts: 40
    If everything was so easy to get to, then why did it take 4 hours?
  • toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    The 2006 will be a totally new design and will offer a V6 option.
  • daniel6daniel6 Posts: 1
    To get RAV4 was very smart from you. Toyota cars are today so far the best car on the road all over, even some (like MercedesBenz and Jaguar) are more expencive. What is the best: materials used to make, design, they have the best engineering, reliability, and durability.
    I am design manager in the company that design, manufacture, test and supplies with many parts (like pumps, transmissions,....) GM, Ford, and Chrisler, and overviewing MercedesBenz, VW, and BMW design, and sometimes get Toyota and Honda on the desk. So it is how i know about cars quality. NEVER TURN ENGINE ON AND THE SAME MOMENT PRESS GAS PEDAL, for it can damage journal bearings in the engine. You have better then you can imagine and now care for that baby.
    I have RAV4 also 2004 L, and it is my first Toyota. I had pt cruiser before i got a job in automotive industry here in Toronto.
    I also got new radio Alpine CDA-9835 and two speakers Alpine CDR-136. I have them for a while but still not instaled. My RAV4 was on starage for winter time. I would like to install that sound makers myself but would not like to damage anithing. If you have some picts how to remove Toyota radio and how to remove front door cover i will appriciate.
    Tires are important at high speed (140 km/h) and over. I got 235R16 tires with the car (and aluminum rims) and right away replaced tires with Michelin 236R16 Hydroedge. When i drive i more care that someone do not hit my car then how tires perform. 235 i think just looks nicer and that is all. We all like to have nice car so if you can get 235R16.
  • I saw this discussion and had my own question about replacing the timing belt in my 99 RAV. I was quoted $675 to replace the timing belt and the water pump and was wondering if that was a fair price or should I look elsewhere. I have 90K miles and I guess the timing belt is flapping around in there and it needs to be done soon, but I wondered if I should take the time shopping for a better deal or just getter done!

Thanks!
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide estimates that your 90,000 mile service should cost around $460, not including the water pump. Rates in your zip code may be higher than mine.

I'd say your mechanic may be a tad high unless you are getting your plugs and fluids changed with that price. But I haven't priced water pumps in a long time.

Use the link above to run your own numbers. Anyone have this service done lately?

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I agree with Steve.

Also, if your timing belt needs replacing I wouldn't wait too long to have it taken care of. If you can afford a little time you might go ahead and check around on pricing in your area (follow Steve's link for a quick look!). If the price you were quoted was fair it will still be fair in a day or two! :)

tidester, host
  • mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    Two quick questions

1)Anyone know of what, if any changes will be made to the 2006 RAV4?

2)When do the 2006 become available?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    The 2006 will be a totally new design and will offer a V6 option. It sounds like it will be bigger. Expect it to be available early fall.
    Didn't I just say that? ;)
  • ronstoyronstoy Posts: 55
    Of the 2006 RAV4?
  • mam262mam262 Posts: 37
    Yes..any pictures or specific information such as size, features would be greatly appreciated!
    There aren't any yet.
  • milom1milom1 Posts: 2
    I am a 2004 Rav4 owner. I posted recently about how uncomfortable it is for a driver who are 6'4" like me.
    Besides that, I had recently two incidents of unintended acceleration, 1 going forward from parked and, 1 in reverse. This one with damage to the left back bumper when I hit a pole holding the end of a fence in my drive way. Thanks heaven no one was in back of the car, because the acceleration was great.
    I have driven the car for over a year and, I had no incident of this sort.
    Looking over the internet in this forum I found out that NHTSA had closed a probe
    regarding incidents like mine in others Toyotas cars ( Camry, Lexus etc.) 30 in total with a pedestrian injured. The probe centered around the cars' electronic throttle control and found nothing wrong in the ones they investigated. It said sudden surges are sometimes caused by drivers who are unfamiliar with their new vehicles. I have driven this car for over a year when these incidents happened!.
    I took it to the dealer and they told me that after placing it in forward and reverse "nothing" happened. They did not check the "part" that controls the acceleration of the car, whatever the name is.
    So here I am with an almost new car that I am paying for and frightened to drive it to the point of never parking it in between cars. The feeling is awful. I have lost all confidence. I am a retired person and the least I need is this mess.
    Thanks for reading this.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    There is no apparent problem with this issue. If memory serves me right, these incidents were attributed to driver error (having one foot on the brake and the other on the accelerator was one possibility). I would also suggest you let the vehicle warm up a few seconds before driving off (at first start-up). Hopefully you can have your acceleration problem resolved.
  • spanky5spanky5 Posts: 1
    I just bought a brand spank'n new 2005 Toyota RAV4. Titanium Metallic with L package (AY, FE, RL, GY, HD, KE, SR, RF, DR, UP, MA, CF). Sent out 8 emails to dealers and got responses from 4. Only 3 with prices. Received a price from Schaumburg Toyota in Illinois for $23,000 which is $300 below invoice. MSRP is $26,200. Out the door $25,000 including tax and fees. They tried to steal my Chevy Blazer but I decided to try to sell it on my own. I've been keeping my eye on the RAV4 since 2001. If you are thinking about buying one, just test drive one.
    It is so quick compared to my 190HP V6 Blazer that I find myself flying when the light changes green. I have to take my foot off the gas a little. I love the way the gauges glow orange at night. It looks like they are on fire. The steering wheel is small like a racing wheel. It corners like a cat. Saying it's fun to drive is an understatement. Love the small details like the RAV4 embroidered in the floor mats. I love the style. I don't know what next years will look like and I don't care. All I know is I like this one. Don't want an option for a V6. One of the reasons I bought this is because of the 4 banger with good MPG. With how quick and fast it is I can't imagine someone wanting more. And I have read that the engine is noisy. WRONG. It's smooth and quiet. Love the seats. Feels like you are sitting in a cockpit of an airplane. Maybe not that good but you get the idea. There is quality throughout. Maybe I should be writing this on a review board but I have been reading the stuff here and decided to finally write something. To all of those deciding if they should buy one, take what you read with a grain of salt and take a test drive. You won't be disappointed. Also the size is fine for 90% of the people out there. Some of these SUV's out now should be classified as busses. Here's to many happy years with my RAV4. O what a feel'n.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Posts: 350
    But apparantly they are pretty quick. If you look in this month's "Truck Trends" magazine, you will see that it (4WD 5-sp) went to 60 in 7.9 seconds (I think that's what it was, don't have a hard copy in front of me). I tell you that really surprised me!

My 2000 RAV4 is certainly much slower than that! What a difference that 2.4-liter makes!
  • janninejannine Posts: 1
    With only 2,000 miles on my new Rav and 2 months old the alloy rims, tack welds are all rusting out. This is a poor design from toyota. Are they going to reognize the probles? Every Rav I see with the stel alloy rims are all doing the same thing. Also they were not properly sealed off right, at the factory. The only way to fix it would be to upgrade them to the alluminun. I have had the car professionally detailed 3 times. The detailer has been doing cars fro 28 years. He said he never seen this in a brand new vehicle. I met with toyota Rep. He said that you have to keep them clean. HA! Thats a joke. I am in arbitration now to have the rims upgraded at no cost to me. Look at your rims. They are all doing it.
  • newrav4newrav4 Posts: 1
    #1: How to program a new remote to this auto?? The auto was a demo, and I only got 1 remote with it. I already bought a new remote but I need to program it.
    #2: I plan every year to let the auto sit unused for 6 months (when we go to our winter home).
    My problem is that if I leave the battery connected, the current draw from on-board electronics (clock, computer, etc.) will drain the battery and then damage it. If I disconnect the battery that long will this cause the auto's computer to need reprogramming? Also will the remote key recognition be lost? In the past I have used a float charger, but now I do not have access to 120V AC to power the float charger. I really don't want to damage the RAV4, or need reprogramming every year. I already have a 1999 RAV4L 4WD at my winter home, and I've disconnected the battery for 6 months. I'm less worried with the 1999 (I hope) than the 2005 because the newer the car, the more involved the computer software.
    Thanks for any and all advice!!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    That has happened to me twice, first time was during a test drive of a new Mazda Miata. When I got back to the dealer I checked and found that the dealers special "protect the carpet" floormat was laying on top of the gas pedal but behind the brake pedal. Every time I stepped on the brake hard the carpet protector pushed the gas pedal down.

I'm getting old.

Vacationing in HI early this year the condo rental came with a minivan. Just one time it surged forward as I braked to a stop.

A few days later as I was vacuuming the car I noticed that the floor mat was, ahhh, you already guessed.
    Er, you were vacationing in Hawaii and felt the urge to vacuum out the rental minivan?

Hey, you can borrow my minivan anytime you come to Boise. :-)

That would explain the phenomenon for those times when people insist they did step on the brake, and explains why many OEM floor mats have a hook gizmo built in to keep them from sliding around.

Steve, Host

• suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    "Er, you were vacationing in Hawaii and felt the urge to vacuum out the rental minivan?"
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    on the condo included the minivan and the requirement that both be clean on departure.
    Thanks Willard; I really should rent my house out for a week and toss the minivan into the deal!

Steve, Host