Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• If you have a good mechanic have them replace it and save some money.
  • I just wanted to say "thank you" to those of you who read my complaint and voiced your views, but the fact remains that if Toyota wants to pride themselves on product longevity and quaility, they need to take care of their customes. If not, I'm sure the nissan,and honda dealers will be more than happy to accept my business.
  • Forget the dealer, it is only a 30 minuts job (may be less). I had my Celica's replaced for only $130.00 (part + On-site labor). Your RAV4 should be under $200.00. Save another $280.00 for your next tire replacement.
  • Anyone else tried the 3M clear tape on the windshield fix?
  • I am looking to buy a small SUV, and looking at the Rav4 and CRV...what kind of mileage does the RAv4 get? How are the Toyota dealerships service wise? Interested in a 2004 auto perhaps "L"...are AWD available in CA? Will be test driving this weekend...but dont want to wait 3 or more months to special order...thanks, Bee
  • QualityQuality Posts: 17
    Just picked up the new unit yesterday. Actually, I was quite impressed with the way the new Rav 4 looked when I set my eyes on it. The pictures that they print out with the specs and prices don't tell you what the vehicles look like in real life. It has grey bumpers which works very well with the grey or flint body The fake hood scoop is a nice touch too. Anybody else have a 5 speed? Very easy to drive on flat, but hills take time to get used to Feels like a very well built, quality vehicle.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    beebee13 - I went thru the same process about 2 months ago and got the RAV4. Being in Canada, the trim levels are different but I got the "C" package which is just about everything except moonroof and leather. It depends on your needs - if you need lots of space for people and gear, don't mind the reactive AWD (not true AWD) and the looks of the CRV, it's a good car. Gas mileage will be about the same RAV to CRV. I prefer the RAV over the CRV for styling, fun to drive, true AWD (better than CRV's system) and Toyota reliablility/resale. Depends what you need; both are better than many other choices in same catagory (small SUVs - although they are really just tall wagons as neither are useful off-road).
  • beebee13beebee13 Posts: 38
    Thanks for the input!! no off roading,just driving dogs and teenagers around! I like the looks of the RAV 4 (always have!)...of course so does my teen...says the CRV is too square-off like the Element...anyway, will be test driving myself since it will be my car (my husband test drove RAV before)...thanks again, Bee
  • mickeymickey Posts: 3
    I bought a 2004 RAV4 over a CR-V EX because

1. RAV4 has more standard safety features (4-disc ABS, EBD brakes, VSC+traction control, tire pressure monitoring, audio controls on steerling wheel, and side air bags option)
    2. RAV4 is made in Japan
    3. RAV4 looks better
    4. RAV4 is quieter and has a smoother ride
    5. RAV4's supply is better, so that I could buy one at invoice.
    The RAV is about 250 lbs lighter with same hp/torque so likely is faster; RAV feels better to drive (subjective call) and RAV has superior AWD system. And agreed, the RAV does look a lot better - I think the CRV is very bland/boring.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I've been helping out a friend who is moving.
    In about one minute, I removed both the back seats from my '01 RAV, and have hauled a love seat (60"long) and a few of those you-assemble boxed furniture pieces from Lowes, Target, etc.

I really like the "sedan delivery" aspect of the RAV. Pretty good utility for an econo-mobile.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    A journalist is hoping to interview consumers who recently bought pre-owned crossover vehicles (such as the Acura MDX, Audi quattro, Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, Subaru Baja, Toyota RAV4, Volvo XC70, etc). Why did you go for a cross-over? Which one? How does it suit your tastes, lifestyle and budget?
    Please respond to newswiz@earthlink.net and/or jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, March 5 with your name, daytime contact information and some information about your vehicle.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• It is my understanding that both the FWD & AWD 04' RAV4 models come with the Traction/Stability control feature. According to a local dealer this somewhat eliminates the need to go AWD except in extreme weather situations. This would save about $1,500 plus insurance would be about $160 cheaper plus gas mileage goes up plus I believe it would be quicker since the FWD model is a little over 200 lbs lighter. any input by those with either model would be appreciated.
    ..that's your choice to make. Here in Canada, we get only the AWD version and no Traction/Stability feature. Interestingly, the RAV4 is sold just about everywhere in the world, but often with different engines, drive systems, etc. For example, I believe that only the US, Canada and Australia get the 2.4L engine for 2004. Other countries still have 2.0L engines. I wouldn't buy it with the 2.0L.
  • I'm still undecided between a Rav4, a CR-V and an Escape. When I first started doing my research the CR-V was on the top of my list. Now I'm leaning more toward the Rav4 or the Escape.

I agree with many in this forum, the CR-V is a bit bland looking when compared to a Rav4 or an Escape. And the standard flat black skirting on the CR-V is not very appealing. Unless you buy the high-end model with the matching paint. Until I saw some CR-V's up close, I thought they looked pretty nice.

Well, after checking with various dealers in my area (Chicago far North burbs) the Ford dealers really want my business, I might be able to get a good deal on an Escape. I test drove an 04 Escape XLT and it has the best ride and power IMO.

Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated. BTW - I haven't ruled out the CR-V, because we all know it is the cheapest to operate and maintain, but looks and features appeal to me.
    ..on CRV and RAV4 should be very close; not sure why people think the CRV is cheaper to run/maint. Fuel mileage is virtually identical and regular maintenance should be close. Both use regular gas. Why is the CRV thought to be cheaper to run??
  • gogiboygogiboy Posts: 732
    I can only write from my own perspective, but I have also been comparing the relative costs of owning a CRV to a RAV4. If you check the maintenance schedules listed on Edmunds.com for both vehicles, most of the major scheduled sessions (15K, 30K, 60K and 90K) cost more for the Rav than the CRV. I don't know where this info comes from. I also know that when comparing equal amounts of insurance coverage 4WD, 5-speed models that the RAV is a tad over $600/year vs. $540/yr. for the RAV (Allstate/Midwest/Good Driver). My insurance agent's explanation is that Toyota is more expensive to repair than Honda and that Honda is more than Ford. Nothing about lack of rear bumper costs, more accident claims with one model over another or any other rationale. Having said all of the above we are still leaning toward a FWD RAV4.
  • gogiboy,

Interesting... the CR-V just isn't very appealing anymore IMO. The insurance cost for one year isn't that much more, say for a Rav4. $60 is not much for an entire year.

I liked the looks of the Rav4 inside and out. And the salesman new alot about the car, in fact had owns one. He wasn't just blowing smoke either. He took me out an showed me his. He has a 2004 Rav4 EX AWD.

Anyway, I guess what I need to do is list the pros and cons, then make an educated decision. But right now, whoever gives me the best deal on a Rav4 or an Escape would seal it for me.

I like the roominess, the quiet ride and the power of the Escape.

The Rav4 is fun to drive, gets excellent mileage and has a fair amount of space.
    The RAV4 also has a much better reliability record than the Escape and your resale value s/be better. I hear that the Ford engine in the Escape is a little noisy also.
  • dwbehrensdwbehrens Posts: 15
    I get 26 mpg with my RAV, it goes great in the snow and wet weather, and I also love the easy way the back seats remove to make it a little cargo van, and fold down to stay out of the way. It has been totally reliable for 34000 miles.

My only complaints:

The rear door opens the 'wrong' way for people who drive on the right hand side of the road. It is difficult to load something from a sidewalk into the rear area.

Getting to the battery is a little difficult.

I don't like the original tires (bridgestone). Whe they wear out, I will get good quality Michelins.