Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• huszjhuszj Posts: 1
    I have owned my 99 RAV 4 for over a year and have been very pleased. However, recently there have been electrical problems with windows, and now there is a green light that comes up on the dash the reads "ECT PWR" Unfortunately my owners manual was stolen when my car was broken into earlier this year. I have asked around and taken it to a repair shop, no one seems to know what ECT PWR stands for. I am a single woman and don't want to be taken advantage of if I take my car to be fixed not having any idea what my be wrong. Any ideas?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    there is a button somewhere near the shifter that allows you to change the transaxle shift pattern. Often labelled "ECT".
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    I THINK that it refers to "Electronically Controlled Throttle" and the "power" setting which means the tranny will hold the gear longer (ie higher rpm) to get quicker acceleration. I could be wrong. I don't think anything is broken, it's just running in the "power" mode so your fuel economy might be down very slightly. I always run a vehicle in the "power" mode if I have the choice, as I like to move out more rapidly -- :>)
  • hraohrao Posts: 78
    I was told that NHTSA Crash test rating for RAV is only 4 Stars ? can any one confirm this ?
  • rav4urav4u Posts: 21
    It might be the one tested without side airbags. Without side airbags it was given a poor rating in a side crash test.
  • I sent my 98 RAV4 along with my son 400 miles away to College four years ago. Yesterday, he called me with what is the very first problem he/we have ever had with this vehicle. It seems that he can raise and lower the driver's window but that all of the other windows are stuck in the down position. Any ideas or is it just mechanic/dealership time?
  • Try checking the fuses. Jim
  • Ok, son tried taking out, examining for usefulness, and replacing all fuses under the hood as well as all of the fuses underneath the dashboard. All negative. Also tried disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it just to see what would happen--nothing.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    Is the power window safety lock on?
  • I thank you, my college son thanks you & his RAV 4 thanks you. He never uses that feature and I had forgot about it being there at all.
    You're welcome. It was just a guess. Happy to hear it was nothing serious.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Believe me, you're not the only one who has ever done that! :)

tidester, host
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    The "ECT PWR" light in the instrument cluster is telling you that you have the ECT button on the dash pushed in and that puts the transmission (the T in ECT) into "power" mode. Push the button (just above the radio) again and it will go back into "normal" mode and the light will go out. Like rbleland said above, going into "power" mode provides slightly better acceleration with a small fuel economy penalty.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,850
    RAV4 Going Big in 2006 (Inside Line)

Talk about it in the 2006 Toyota Rav4 discussion.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• deadea Posts: 1
    Hmm, I am at the point of possibly buying a new 2005 RAV4, at hopefully an end of year deal. Now I learn that the 2005 model is about to become extinct with the introduction of this newer, revised model that will appear soon in the show rooms. This causes me to question my judgement and perhaps to take a wait and see attitude. Frequently revised models come with many improvements over the last generation.

Any advice for me? I liked the 2005 FWD, manual, S model 2005, especially the pep and mileage.

Should I go ahead as planned or delay my decision or wait?
  • rav4urav4u Posts: 21
    New models might come with improvements, but they also might come with new glitches that haven't been ironed out yet. I would not buy a vehicle in its first year run. I read on one forum that when the redesigned Sienna van came out, it had 4 recalls according to the Toyota service manager that reported that info.
  • How do you remove the brake caliper pins?
    New Toyota RAV4 Bigger Than Tiny Predecessors (Inside Line)

Check out the 2006 Toyota Rav4 discussion for other rumors.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Hi,

Tried to use the rocker style (Auto) window switch today and the window did not move - the switch feels loose - all other windows work so the lock window feature is not on - anyone had this problem and what was the fix?
    This is on drivers side front window - the one used the most.

Lee
    Sounds like it might be broken. Are you the only driver? Someone may have inadvertently or accidentally forced the switch past its limits. The switch may have to be replaced.
  • I'm looking for a new vehicle. I'm looking into possibly getting a RAV4. I have read over a lot of posts, but it would take a great deal of time to read them all. Of the ones I have read over I havne't found any regarding the RAV's towing capacities. I may someday want to pull behind a small camper into the mountains. Does anyone have any experience with this, or does the Toyota have any towing capabilities at all?
    Try the Search This Discussion box while waiting for responses. You can narrow the posts down to just towing threads that way.

Steve, Host

• biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    The RAV4 is listed at 1500lbs for towing - good for a light trailer.
  • Yeah, 1,500 lbs is the rated tow limit.

Don't know if the 4-cyl RAV4 would be much good for towing in mountain country.
    Kinda doubt it, unless the camper is light.

The rumored 2006 6-cyl RAV4 might be worth checking out, once it comes out.

Good luck.

-ss4
  • Which motor oil and filter is good for a 98 Rav4?
    I've got the following on the list:
    OEM Toyota Oil, Mobil1, Castrol, Amsoil, Pennzoil.
  • Great! Thanks for your help!
  • dmuttdmutt Posts: 48
    Welllll,

It looks like Toyota is not going to mess around with some wimpy V-6. The new engine is a 3.5 liter, producing 268 horse power. See their web site.
  • Does anyone know for certain if the following technology will be in the new Rav4?

1) Navigation System
    2) Bluetooth
    3) Push button start

I saw a picture of the interior (a different picture from that on the Toyota website) which had these features all visible.
    Thanks for your help!
  • I bought the 'extra' warranty coverage....wondering if that was a d.u.m.b. idea.....i got nervous when the sales person is talking to me about all of the things that can go wrong, but now i am wondering who else might own a 1999, and if anyone has experienced any particular issues with that year......??....I can perhaps cancel this off the toyota...thanks in advance
  • bthbth Posts: 2
    2002 Rav 4 with almost 28,000 miles -- told today by non-Toyota dealer that I need 4 new tires before winter. Currently have Toyo Radials: Proxes TPT -- Have had all work done to this point by Toyota dealership. Has anyone else experienced unusual tire wear like this. Thanks.