Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• newboynewboy Posts: 2
    I thank you for your input. I did e-mail Toyota several weeks ago and explain the problem and asked if there had been any TSBs on the RAV similar to mine. The company forwarded my inquiry to my dealer and said the dealer would call. That was three weeks ago and I have yet to hear from the dealer. To be fair, I am gone a lot and when I am home I am often on-line (dial-up) so the dealer may have tried to phone. The dealer does, however, have my e-mail address, so they could have gotten me if they had tried that medium.
    I, too, am flummoxed about the cause of the roar. I can see that a bad bearing would cause this particular pattern of wear on the tire and the roar, but how would an axle problem cause this pattern, or roar, for that matter? I think your suggestion that I take it in to the CS people for one more try to fix it is a good one. I dread doing so because, in the scheme of things, it is a minor problem and I can understand the lack of enthusiasm the techs/mechanics have for addressing it. Still, it bothers me a lot and I will never drive a RAV again if it isn't fixed. Again, thanks for your comments. I really enjoy and appreciate the commentary on this forum. Good people and good talk.
  • wsommarivawsommariva Posts: 157
    I would not consider that a minor problem. The axle quess is only a guess. I think try the dealer again and speak with the service manager. Good luck. BTW, the only thing I went to the dealer for was the no charge dash rattle I have. They worked on it for two days and didn't fix the problem totally. Someday I hope to buy a rattle free car. This is also a minor thing for most people, but it drives me crazy, so I know how you feel.
  • bobportsbobports Posts: 3
    Hey,
       I have a 96 rav4,2wd, 4door. The cat plus the enrire exhaust system fell off. Any suggestions where to locate a cheaper catalytic converter? I can replace the other stuff myself. The dealer says about $1,000.00 to replace. Anything cheaper out there or any suggestions???????????????????? bobports
  • Is there anything I can tell from the VIN number. Like if this was a RAV4 build early 2004 or later 2004. I have not taken delivery yet and I'm worried about the windshield/cowl rattle. Thanks
    I believe you should be able to find a much cheaper cat based on my bad VW cat experience. Try the internet and auto parts stores.

I have a 2004 with the no charge dash rattle and it drives me nuts. I don't think they changed the manufacturing process for this so it won't matter when it was made. If you ordered it just hope it doesn't rattle. If it does the dealer should be able to fix it. If you buy a car from the lot, take it for a good test drive before you buy it.
  • rdsymmesrdsymmes Posts: 5
    Anybody know if Toyota has any plans (yeah, I know they'd have to be down-the-road at this point) for a RAV4 Hybrid? We just bought a 2004 fully loaded for $24,300, and it's a neat little car. But it would be even neater if it had the hybrid engine and gas mileage. Then it would fit EVERY one of our criteria. I think Toyota would get a better return in the market on a RAV hybrid than a Highlander... Any scuttlebutt out there?
  • refereeguyrefereeguy Posts: 20
    What to do?

Buy a '04 now or wait until mid to late fall for an '05?

'05's will probably have a price increase.

Has anyone heard of any changes or updates for '05 models?

The longer I wait the more my '97 Explorer with 105,000 miles will depreciate.

I have done a bit of research, I would prefer a manual transmission with 4WD but they are very hard to find. My local dealer told me for the whole midwest region in Junes allotment there were 550 with auto trans and only 11 with manuals.

For those of you that have the 5 spd how do they drive? Are you glad you have the manual?
    If you plan to hold the RAV 4 for a long time - 5+ years, I would buy a 2004. Seems you can get a good deal. In NJ they offer 0% for three years.

We have a 2004 and it's very good. FWD, auto.
  • We just got our 2004 RAV4 and I noticed the two fans up front just like the 88 Toyota we had. But the RAV4 seems to get much hotter under the hood. Is this normal? Thanks.
    For what it's worth: After driving home last night I placed my hand on my hood (2004 RAV4). It was cool. I would guess the temperature was around 70 F.
  • I just pick up step tube @ dealer today and install it by myself, It took about 2 hours to install and it is very easy, just follow the instruction book
    How much did it cost. Can you briefly describe the install?

Thanks
  • I get step tube for $383.81 @ dealer ( discount 20 % off original price @ $479.76)It came with 4 mounting brackets , front and back, The front bracket is bolt in body rocker hole already threaded and support by bracket bar supporter mount to frame hole with cartridge bolt, Just remove the 3/4 " cap , The back bracket is mount 2 bolts. 3/4 " bolt to frame and 3/8 " bolt to body rocker, Then install a front and back gasket for the tube step and mount it together
    Thank you. My dealer wanted over $600 to install. I'll do it myself and save some $$.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    You guys are getting the gears - I had chrome step bars put on my new '04 RAV in January for $456 Canadian bars and labor total. $600 US to install is nuts. BTW, I am in Canada, the flag keeps coming up US - don't know why?
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    You need to set your preferences to show the desired flag. Click on the "Preferences" link near the top of the left column on this page to access.

tidester, host
  • 2004 RAV4 - Page 117 of the manual explains the reset procedure including having to drive for an hour after the procedure to enable the system. Is this really as big a pain as it seems?
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    No, just reset the dash switch and go. Don't worry about it. It sets itself as you drive. I have never had any problem w it and it's bone simple IMO.
  • justinjustin Posts: 1,918
    i was looking at 04 Rav4's this weekend. on the L package you get the leather wheel with audio controls. are the audio controls lit up at night?

thanks.