Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    As promised, here is the kit # that the dealer used to fix the complete dash rattle : 08231-00801, Noise Kit.

So far so good on my wife's '03 RAV4 with the kit.

It's been over a week now and seems to be working.

The RAV4 has so far been good otherwise,; sorry to hear that some of you have had mechanical problems. You normally don't think of a vehicle

assemble in Japan as having that many problems, but it does happen. I've got an '01 Ford Escape

and don't have the rattles that the RAV had. But

I've had other issues with my Escape too, but it's been a good vehicle so far for me.
  • rav4urav4u Posts: 21
    I'm beginning to believe that is doesn't matter as much where a vehicle is built as it did in the past. With widespread outsourcing and globalization, parts and other preassembled units can come from just about anywhere. It's pretty much the luck of the draw as to what you will get. This vehicle has more initial problems than my two last Chevy vans put together, yet my brother has an older RAV that has had no problems at all. I do believe that this dashboard problem is a lack of refinement by Toyota. It should have been addressed at the factory level long ago, not just passed off at the dealer level with a kit.
  • cbmortoncbmorton Posts: 252
    Two years ago I was very close to getting into a new '03 RAV4, but I soured on it after reading owner comments about the dash rattle. It was bad enough that the problem continued into the '02 model year, but when '03 owners posted that their RAV4s still had the rattle, it was a turnoff. Who wants to buy a vehicle knowing that it most likely has an annoying problem right off the showroom floor? A co-worker let me take his '02 for a test drive at the time and sure enough, his had the rattle. I believe he ultimately did get it fixed after at least two trips to the dealer.

Only a month or so ago I did finally get a RAV4 as a second car, but it's a used 2000 4WD. Still surprisingly tight after almost 50k miles. Hope the '01+ ones age equally well.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    '01 Rav (very early production), 45,000 miles, had cowl (dash) rattle, completely fixed 3+ years ago, brakes were squeaky at 5,000 miles, Toyota issued a TSB and replaced them with quiet pads for free. The brakes were functioning perfectly, but were noisy. Note that consumer reports for the '01 lists everything perfect except brakes (see above) and body integrity (cowl rattle). Both these two minor problems (noises, not safety or driveability problems) were completely fixed with the TSB under warranty, and it continues to be a perfect vehicle.
  • yooper53yooper53 Posts: 286
    I've narrowed my choices to the Rav4 and CR5.

I'd appreciate knowing what kind of real world Highway mileage you're all getting.

Thanks in advance.

-Dennis
  • My daughter drives a 2004 RAV-4 AWD. Can traction be improved by buying better snow tires? (She misses her '99 Mountaineer which was great in the snow, but had terrible mpg.) I searched the site and didn't find anything posted. Does this mean that everyone's happy with their traction?

Ned - Massachusetts
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    Dennis,

My '01 RAV4 with the 2.0L engin, auto trans, AWD, has gotten 24.6 overall since 1,300 miles (now at 59,000). This is suburbs/highway, say 60/40, in a state with winter gas (penalty 2+ mpg, I've found). I have a light foot.

All day on the interstate, I top 28 mpg.

It was e.p.a. rated 22/27, I think. I'm satisfied.

The new 2.4L RAVs are e.p.a. rated about the same, I think, even with the bigger engine. Getting more efficient, I guess.

Good luck.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Posts: 1,110
    I'm satisfied with my '01 RAV's traction, currently with Yokohoma Geolanders, and previously with OEM Bridgestone Dueller 687 H/Ts. But I don't see a lot of snow, just occasional 2-6 inches.

Sure, better tires will give better snow performance, if you're willing to pay for it.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    If you live where there is a lot of snow, buying 4 snow tires makes a lot of sense in terms of increased traction and safety. Amortized over 4 or 5 winters, the cost is not that bad. Just be sure to take them off before you're running on dry pavement a lot.
  • My wife has a 2002 FWD. We just bought four Bridgestone Blizzaks winter tires. She still stays home when it snows. I read, I think in Consumer Reports that a AWD should be sufficient in snow. A friend of mine is a ER doctor. He has a AWD AND four snow tires since he has to go to work no matter the weather.

The four blizzaks INCLUDING the wheels cost about $600. I think worth it. Bought them from Tirerack.com, which I recommend.
    Great feedback. Thanks!
    AGREED! More balance under braking too. My current and last car, both fwd, have had four snows on. Bought 'em mounted on steel wheels so I can change them myself in spring and fall and know it was done right. i.e. use a bloody torque wrench!
  • I need to get a torque wrench. Can you recommend an exact make and model?

Thanks
  • I hear the Rav4 is getting a face lift, has it already happened or coming?
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    Model year 2006 is new body style, I'm told.
  • escapenutescapenut Posts: 117
    The dashboard noise discussed in previous posts is back though not quite as bad as before, but still there nonetheless. It can definitely be heard over some paved roads, moderately bumpy, etc. Two (2) fixes have been applied by the dealership :

1.) Cowl fix kit (did not help at all as applied).

2.) Dash rattle fix kit per Toyota (noise started

about two (2) weeks after being in shop

overnight for fix).

I was contacted by the dealer customer satisfaction dept. about the fix, and I received a

follow-up call from the Service Advisor because of it. They want us to bring the vehicle back in the shop again. Good-sign, but very inconvenient, d/t wife's work schedule. Will try again and report back. My wife is about ready to trade d/t the dash-rattle. Sounds goofey, but she's pretty TO'd. Otherwise she loves the vehicle. For free it's worth a try again.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Ours fixed perfectly now for close to 4 years. Some dealerships are terrible. Maybe try another one?
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Posts: 247
    There are some drawings shown on the Autoweek forum. Look nice to me. Hope drawing are corret and do not have the spare wheel in back..
  • Has anybody driven a rav where the timing belt has broken while driving? We have a 96 rav with 57000 miles. The manual says to check the belt at 60000 miles, a mechanic wants to sell me a new one for 500 dollars. I'm trying to decide if this ia really necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    a mechanic wants to sell me a new one for 500 dollars.

$500? Does that inlcude a new water pump, pulleys and other belts?

tidester, host