Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• toycashtoycash Posts: 139
    No, that is a photoshopped picture of the current RAV4.
  • 307web307web Posts: 1,033
    No, that is PhotoShop. Look at how fake the headlights look.
  • Thanks for the advice...found out all I needed was a new fuel filter...now it runs perfect. Thank goodness it wasn't anything more!
  • I have the same problem. My dealer says I just didn't change the oil often enough. The car is only 3 years old with low mileage. I spoke with one mechanic I trust and he told me the Camry had a problem with sludge build up. Possibly we are seeing that the Rav4 does also. I was also given only one option - to pay for the repairs to the tune of $4,500 to rebuild the motor. I too had no idea there was a problem until the oil and check engine light came on at the same time. I brought the vehicle into the dealer the same afternoon.
  • petlpetl Posts: 610
    What is the mileage? and How often have you changed the oil? If the vehicle is only 3 years old, should it not be covered under warranty? More information is required before you can relate this a sludge problem.
  • rblelandrbleland Posts: 312
    There are no known problems w sludge on RAV engines to my knowledge. The alleged problems were on V6s in the older Camrys (and others). Clearly, negligence in oil/filter changes would contribute to possible sludge problems. AFAIK Toyota has fixed this "problem". What is your mileage on it, what year is it, and how often DID you change the oil (and can you prove it?). These are important questions. My guess is it is not a sludge issue at all.
  • kwivokwivo Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2001 RAV4. I am about to hit the 5 year 100k miles point. I have 2 noise problems.

1 is a chirping noise coming from under the dash when I am on even a slightly bumpy road. Toyota dealership said it is a busted spot weld under the dash and it will cost hundreds to get at it and try to fix (only covered in first 3 years). Can anyone offer any advice on this problem?

The other noise is an intermittent static-like crackling noise. Toyota dealership fixed this problem for a while in the first 3 years by moving a cable that was too close to my battery terminals. The noise is back and they were unable to stop it this time. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help,

Kwivo
  • 2002 Rav4 here with ~45k miles ... I've got the sludge :( ... Change the oil ever 3-6k but I can't find all the receipts. Still looking.

No more Toyota's for me. I have a brand new Prius also but am trading that in next week just because of the Rav4 issue. All cars have issues, but Toyota not fixing this one is enough for me.

quote of aprox. $9k to fix it by the way.

:sick:
  • hey there. i'm looking for a 2005 awd Rav4, with L package, mud flaps, roof rack, automatic, not sure what color yet. I live in Louisville, KY but have some strong ties down in Orlando FL. A couple of days ago, I got a quote from 'a friend' that works at a dealership in Orlando FL. Her pricing was as follows...MSRP $23,980...will sell to me for $22,000---which is $108 over their invoice of $21,891, then minus the $500 rebate.....out the door pricing, tax tags etc.....$22,400. I'm new to this, so i need help. I would like to pay at invoice or under if possible...i want to pay no more than $21,000 out the door. Am i just dreaming, or is this possible for me to achieve. I was looking at the Hyundai Tucson's, but i've seen a lot of negative feedback on them, and now i definitely want to go with the Toyota Rav4---I just need to find that deal.

thanks!
  • yanno35yanno35 Posts: 1
    hi, th etrue invoice is roughly 19,883, dealers will give it to you at about 200.00 over that...22,000 is way to high...go to edmunds or blue book.com, and they will tell you the truth.. my suggestion is to purchase a 4 cyl due to th eskyrocket gas prices...Gas prices according to the news is expected to rise to 3.00 a gallon by 2006...rediculious!!!

hoped that helped..john
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    $9k to fixed a sludged engine? That's absurd! It is also absurd that you are having to deal with this in 3-yr. old vehicle with only 45k miles. If you had one of the models covered under the sludge policy (Camry, Sienna, Highlander, Avalon, Celica, and a couple of Lexus models), supposedly you would only need to show proof of one oil change per year to get the engine fixed for free.
  • kraftkraft Posts: 29
    Scotti, you were way off being so quick to take the opportunity to flaunt sludge. Consider what you responded to. A $9K price to repair something that costs $5K tops for a factory new short block out the door installed, not just a fixer upper? Then trade in a brand new Prius, taking a big depreciation hit, to prove a point? The story is absurd, and I think your reaction could qualify too. :sick:
    ???????

That is what I said-- it is absurd to try to charge someone $9k to fix a sludged engine.

Couldn't you get a brand new engine for less than that?
    deadindallas - one more thing, you may want to read cindyc's post (starting around #1738 here in the Rav4 discussion). She was able to get the dealership to cover her repair after initially being denied.
  • Hello all,
    My wife and I got a new RAV4 2005 FWD, only 1 month old, with 1250 miles on it. Right now we're getting ONLY 20.3 mpg at city. I've check it four times and this is an average. Is this OK for this car? Should we go and visit the "doctor" to check if something is wrong with our RAV4?
    Thanks a lot to all,
    K.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    If I'm not mistaken the RAV4 is rated at 24 mpg in the city by EPA. I think their figures generally are a little on the high side. Also, it does take a vehicle some time to "break in." You should see your mileage gradually improve. Of course, it also depends on your own specific driving circumstances.

tidester, host
  • Thank you tidester. How long do you think would it take to "break in" (by the way, what do you mean with this?)?
    And, what are the specific driving circumstances? I can tell you, we're located in Houston area, not much of hills around here. I don't know if this is kind of the circumstances you're talking about. Would you please explain us this?
    Thank you,
    K.
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    I don't have have direct experience with the RAV-4 but generally break in can range from about 5,000 to 10,000 miles for various vehicles.

Factors affecting your mileage include the amount of stop and go driving you do and how rapidly you accelerate. Being in Houston the terrain is not an issue affecting your mileage.

tidester, host
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    Sounds about right. I have 2004 4 cyl Highlander(same engine/tranny) and average 19 mpg all city. I believe that mine is about 500 lb heavier and is rated 22 mpg city.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I was close to buying a RAV when I stumbled into the Honda showroom. While the CR-V doesn't look quite as "cool" as the RAV, I must admit the salesman did a good job of convincing me to reconsider. One thing that he said was that CR-V outsold RAV four to one. Is that REALLY true? I need to buy what's right for ME, regardless if four times as many buy something else. Nevertheless, the huge difference DOES make me wonder (if CR-V is the better vehicle).