Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Compact Pickup Comparison: Frontier, Ranger, Tacoma, S10, Dakota, B-Series, & Hombre

Comments

• sc0rpi0sc0rpi0 Posts: 897
    tbunder likes to say things he can't back up.
    He turned down a request to offroad proposed to him by one of iowa Taco owners.
    Ranger may outwheel Taco offroad. And it needs better tires to do that (while Taco stock BFGs do the job fine). I've been going offroad 2-3 times a month on hte weekends since December, I've seen 2 Rangers during that time. One I helped pull out of mud, and another actually offroaded.
    As for Billy Ford: It's a commercial, it's not supposed to make sense. Media is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and so statements like "mint condition, 120,000 miles" are what Ford really wants you to hear and register in your head. Everything else is just used to tie those words together.
  • It's not supposed to be gospel, or anything.

How many 20, 30, 40, or 50 year old vehicles do you see out there with a Toyota badge on them? Some Fords just don't die. I know that threatens Toyota's higher quality for a higher dollar mantra, but there are a great many Ford trucks that take the abuse and keep on running. Notice, I didn't say all Fords, but there are many that can still be found working the trails, farm, or highways. Even a friends truck that I occasionally use for towing on the weekend is 8 years older than I am.

I'd rather listen to Bill Ford, than Tomoya Toriumi.
  • tbundertbunder Posts: 580
    a little bit of our convo a week or so ago.

446 of 483 hehe........ by tbunder Mar 31, 2002 (09:36 pm)
    the ranger is cheap? lol
    the tacoma interior looks like a book out of the '80's arcades. cheap straight dash, cheap flimsy doors, small rear window, no quad cab option on ext. cabs, where's the indash cd changer? crappy seats, etc.
    the ranger interior is classy and first rate in my book. nothing compares to the features one can get. not to mention it comes with real towhooks, not a little hook under the bumper. LOL
    and they call the tacoma a truck? with its pencil sized driveshafts? hilarious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    #447 of 483 Interior by sc0rpi0 Apr 01, 2002 (08:29 am)
    This arguement about quality of interior is completely opinion-based.
    "I think Ranger interior is cheap."
    "No way! Tacoma interior is cheap."

For all it's worth, Tacoma interior is nice and functional (except the clock). No flashy dash work, nothing. Nice, simple and functional design. tbunder, do you want the interior of a truck to look like you are sitting in an F-18 or something? Would you like a DVD player to go with that too?
    No 4-door extended cab? True. Does Ranger offer a full doublecab version? I didn't think so.
    Lay off the tow hooks, will you? It's a stupid point.**NO COMMENT HERE, LOL** "Oh, I have this extra bolt, and you don't! Haha, my truck rules!" **well, it would've that day now huh?**
    Taco hook does the job, and if you are a "real offroader", you'll not be sticking with stock version of the truck anyway **so you're saying you're not a REAL off-roader?**. A couple of month ago one of the trucks in our party rolled.....we didn't use towhooks to turn it over and pull it out of the hole. We used winches instead. And real steel bumpers (not the ones Ranger and Tacoma have). Your real tow hooks would have been useless there, no matter how many you had. *duh, towhooks are for pulling out, not over.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#449 of 483 nah....... by tbunder Apr 01, 2002 (10:35 am)
    scorpio- you are wrong. the ford towhooks are bolted directly to the frame and are extremely thick. they would not have been useless. they would have come in very handy. it's obvious you are leery of your one now **ESPECIALLY NOW EH?** and very jealous you don't have real ones. who wouldn't? its just common sense. shoot, even the liberty im looking at has two real ones sticking out from the bumper from the frame.

i love it when you say "lay off the towhooks will you? its a stupid point."

and then you say this:

#466 of 483 Alright, I'd like to take back some of the tow hook stuff by sc0rpi0 Apr 07, 2002 (02:32 pm)
    that I've said.
    Today I could have used 1 more tow hook on the front, **NAHHHHHH** when I got hung up on a hill and damn nearly rolled over (all the way down).
    But I got winched up by 2 Tacos **OF COURSE** (one on the hook, one on the frame to straighten me up, then both hooked up to the tow hook), and the hook took the abuse of pulling a 3,500 hunk of metal up a hill.
    So now I'm gonna go and buy myself another towhook. **HMMMMMMMMMMM**
    **BUT ISN'T THAT STUPID?**

you say that i like to say stuff, and then not back it up (like what, id like to hear- let's hear it scorp, back up your little statement). YOU'RE the one who said two hooks didn't make any difference (just cuz your cheap toy doesn't come with two, hardly even one for that matter and then actually went wheeling for once and found out just how functional two may be) after i had already said that two should be the standard, as they are on every 4x4 'cept for the cheap tacoma. so i think you need to practice what you preach, and speak from experience next time you make a comment without knowing what you're talking about. why should i have to back up what i say, when i have people like you who will eventually see the light and do it for me? you make me laugh scorpman.

aaah, and i was gonna lay off edmunds. but you just couldn't go w/o mentioning my name with me not even posting could you?
  • tgravo2tgravo2 Posts: 70
    Just because toyota doesnt have a commercial saying they have old trucks in good condition doesnt mean that there are none.

I believe in the 99 or 2000 Tacoma brochure they had a guy in there with a 1984 single cab toyota with 1,000,000 miles on it. Id say thats pretty good. I have never seen a Ford with over 300,000 miles on it.

Tbunder - now you are saying the Tacoma is cheap, you just finished saying how they were overpriced :)

Ranger's have a second tow hook so more trucks can be used to pull them out of places they can't go. That should stir up some thoughts :)
    exactly. right on. cheaply built, and overpriced. :o)
    I was in the 4Runner message board and someone posted this link saying they talked to someone from Toyota and they said the 4Runner's new V6 will be a 3.8L with at least 250hp!!! Wouldn't that be great for the Tacoma. I'm sure it would get the same engine. That would kill the other truck competitors in the power category and then tbunder would know that the Tacoma has much more hp than the Ranger.

Here is the link, read the first post.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=010199

actually, i wouldn't really care cuz i don't own a ranger anymore. but actions speak louder than words. also, the ranger is going to be totally redone in a year or two as well. and it is also rumored to get a new V8. so we'll have to wait and see. hopefully, the new toyota engine will finally get a timing chain, and not another cheap timing belt design.
    Those comments are extremely stupid. Did you feel good about yourself inserting neat little "NAHHHHHHH", "HMMMMMMMM" in my posts?
    I -->COULD<-- have used 2 tow hooks, but I got winched out on 1.
    Yes, it took 2 Tacomas to winch me up. Wow....Tacoma must suck, it takes 2 to winch it up a muddy 45-50 deg. slope full of ruts. I guess The King Offroad, Jeep Wrangler, sucks even worse, because it took -->4<-- trucks to winch him out. 3 Tacos and a Dodge, 1 Taco and Dodge were acting as anchors.
    It seems you are under your own dillusion that my truck got stuck because it did not have second tow hook, and you keep basing your " **well, it would've that day now huh?**" on that. I guess I can't help it if you can't/won't understand what seems to be plain English.
    Tow hooks did NOT make a difference when I got hung up. The only place they would have made a difference was when truck was straightened out and pulled up. The original setup of 1 winch on the tow hook and 1 on the frame was NOT due to lack of tow hooks: it was to stabilize the truck, which was sitting at about 60-70 deg angle to the slope of the hill (aka almost perpendicular).
    And once again: despite your claims that I would have 1. damaged the bumper 2. bent the hook or frame, nothing like that happened. I guess I was just lucky, because I was bound to have bumper ripped off, since puny little towhook is hidden so far under it.
    4Runner will get the new setup first in 2003. Tacoma is due to get it in 2004 (3.7L V6, possibly 4.7L Tundra engine). As for beating Ranger: Lets put it this way: 3.4L ruled since 1995.5 until 2001, when Ford finally put out an engine thats not a joke (waiting for tbunder to start talking about how old 4.0L had more torque. While you are at it, don't forget to mention all the problems it had) that could finally compete with 3.4L. I've read that 3.7L would be 230-240hp/trq, not 250, but thats for the 4Runner, and its' exaust is tuned (currently, at least) for a little lower performance. So new Taco could very well have even more power. But, rumor is that Tacoma will get redesigned and move into midsize category. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    WIll someone explain to me in detail why they have a problem with the placement of the Tacoma's clock. I'm a little under six feet tall and the clock is in a perfect position for me. I never have any problem seeing it at all. Are the guys complaing here only four or five feet tall or what?
    I'm 5'9" and have to tilt my head to see it. It could also depend on the tilt of the steering wheel. Many factors, but seems like passenger is the one mostly benefitting from the clock.
    I had never really thought about the clock in a bad placement, Im 6' and I could see it well, I guess it depends how reclined you sit in your seat and how low or high you tilt your steering wheel, I also had a cd player that I put in myself that displayed the time so I guess I never paid much attention to it
    LOL, made ya mad eh? i never said the reason you got stuck was cuz you didn't have two towhooks. i just reiterated what i originally said, that two towhooks were better than one. and then reiterated what you said, that having two was stupid and to knock it off about the two towhooks.

and then you totally change your mind about it. just admit you were wrong and i was right. two are better than one little hook under the frame. i dont care what you drive, if you dont have the means to pull it out, its useless. ie. you only having one little hook, and now saying you're gonna buy another one. as you say, its plain english. i posted everything you said. its right there. all you have to do is read it. if you didn't think you needed another towhooks, you wouldn't have come on here and said "i take back the towhook stuff." you evidently have a problem admitting you're wrong.
  • plutoniousplutonious Posts: 799
    "and then you totally change your mind about it."

Kind of like when you bragged nonstop when you thought your Ranger had a locker, found out it didn't, then said lockers were worthless just because the Tacoma TRD has them?

Have you changed your mind on your (bogus) claims that Rangers outweigh Tacomas by 600lbs? I would think that extra weight would really hinder the Ranger's "jumping" performance you kept bragging about here at Edmunds. OOOPS, that's right, according to your E-BAY advertisement you never "abused" your truck.

Come on, keep up the posts, this is fun!!!
    Key word is could. I didn't need 2 hooks. But guys told me to get another one upfront and hook/hitch in the rear, so if I get into a situation like that again, it's a little easier and instead of dragging my truck up they can winch it down.
    So, just to reiterate: Yes, I could have used 2 hooks. No, I didn't NEED 2 hooks. I got out with 1.
    You make it sound like the tow hook I got is totally useless. Somehow it's not the case, because I can see my truck from the office window, and it definitely does not look like it rolled down the hill. I'm gonna get another hook because older ttora guys told me to after I got pulled out (more like while I was getting pulled out), not because of you.
    I have to admit I do like the way all Ford trucks have the tow hooks set up, I like seeing them when you look at the front of the truck, especially the chrome ones on the FX4, but there is nothing wrong with the Tacoma one. You make it sound like the Ranger is better just because it has two tow hooks. I dont hear any complaints from Tacoma owners about thier single tow hook.

The only thing I don't like about the position of the Ford's tow hooks is I have seen some Ford trucks with body lifts and after the lift is put on, the tow hooks are now below the bumper and it just looks stupid, I guess the Tacoma's hidden one can be an advantage.
    tbunder does not believe in lifts: for him being a real offroader is to "take a stock truck far and beyong". Which is probably why he does not consider jumping a truck an abuse.
    So Ford towhooks are also for a showoff? I'm wondering, though, what point is having a chrome hook, because chrome is just coating. It'd get scraped off pretty fast.
  • If you want to keep bringing up old arguments against tbunder, aren't you forgetting that you thought your part time locker was ALSO a limited slip differential when not fully locked?

"The Tacoma's rear locker can be be engaged at will by the driver only when needed, then turned off. The rest of the time it's good old LSD, so you get the best of both worlds. I assure you, there's no hopping and tire chirping going around corners in my truck; the locker is turned off. I understand and can appreciate your point, however, on trucks with full-time lockers.

Tblunder, you've proven to be TOO UNKNOWLEDGEABLE to have an intelligent conversation with. You can't even tell what tire sizes you have, the difference between lockers and LSDs, what swaybars do, ETC. "

Let's not forget the design flaw on the Ranger where the door unlocks when open the door from the inside.

tgravo--->I guess the main thing about the clock is that for most people it is in a place not too easily seen by the driver. Also that you pay 80 bucks for something that should be part of the radio to begin with.

"I believe in the 99 or 2000 Tacoma brochure they had a guy in there with a 1984 single cab toyota with 1,000,000 miles on it. Id say thats pretty good. I have never seen a Ford with over 300,000 miles on it."

So it's OK to brag about that in a brochure, but you can't brag about Ford trucks in commercials?
  • eagle63eagle63 Posts: 599
    I think it's interesting that the 2 biggest complaints here against the Tacoma are the lack of two towhooks, and an ill-placed clock. Sounds like an endorsement to me!
    first and foremost, thanks stang. i find it amusing that pluto can't muster any kind of intelligent conversation on here other than bringing up old stuff. and i do mean old. yeah, i made a mistake. lots of people call lsd's lockers. look at jeep brochures or gm brochures. they call there lsd's traction-lok axles. whatever. he is just causing trouble and it totally backs up what i've thought about him all along, but i won't get back into that. if i were a toyota guy on here, i wouldn't like pluto coming on here just to cause trouble and deliberately picking fights. it was nice when he was in hibernation, wherever he was.

but what you said, DITTO pluto. and i'll add get a life to it as well. and im still wondering if pluto ever got that special lsd/locker rearend in his tacoma? LOL

tgravo- scorpio is right. i do not believe in lifts. i like the stock look. maybe some slightly larger tires like i had on my ranger, maybe some aftermarket shocks, a skidplate or too, a smittybilt bumper thumper like i had on my ZR2. but no lifts please. a crank on the torsion bars (if you have them, ford's and gm's are the only ones left i believe besides dodge i think) to lift the front a little is okay, but it has to be done carefully so each side will ride as high as the other. i like to make it down the beaten path with a relatively stock vehicle. im the same with cars and motorcycles too. all stock as far as one can see. now adding a trd s/c would be ok with me. just stealthy so to speak. i dont think there is nothing wrong with that. look at the new jeep rubicon due out this summer- this has been hailed as the most radical factory built 4x4-EVER. and it doesn't need a huge lift. ill concede that the toyota locker is nice, but my lsd did just fine. a locker can be added very easily as well if you want.

scorp- ill drop this little rant we got going. but its good to know that you're getting another towhook. i'd hate to see your pretty tacoma roll down a hill. plus, you may need two if one breaks off and you don't notice or something.

oh, one more thing about the FX4. the "chrome" towhooks, aren't really chrome. they're stainless steel polished. and they aren't the same design as a regular ranger 4x4. they're open on the top, like the jeeps.
    I have seen the Ford commercial but they do not say anything about a truck having over 300k miles
    Im just saying it was in the brochure of a guy having 1 million miles on his toyota. A guy I knew had 259k miles on his 93 ranger, that was the most I have ever seen on a ranger. I believe Fords can last long, I just think they are the 2ND most reliable truck behind the Tacoma, In full size, I prefer the F-150 over the Tundra, but I am more of a compact truck person.
    How long did it take you to find those quotes/posts, anyway? Bored, are we?

I'll admit, I wasn't aware my truck had an open diff when the locker wasn't on. Do I care? No. I've learned in the process that when the Ranger's LSD's cluth plates wear out it'll perform exactly like an open diff but still won't have a locker. Winning off-road combination, huh? The more I learn, the more I realize how great the Tacoma is, and how inferior the Ranger is...

As far as mistakes go...well, we all know who said "Rangers have lockers," "Rangers outweigh Tacomas by 600lbs," "Rangers have 2" bigger pumpkins," "Rangers have their beds welded to the frames," "I jump my Ranger," "My Ranger's never been abused," ETC. Are you going to be consistent and call your fellow Ford fan to the carpet? NAH!

Furthermore, I seem to remember a debate you and I had regarding shock absorbers and their placement. You were quite confused and frustrated. I'd like to post your remarks here but for some reason you deleted them...
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 6,072
    It is time to STOP this inane personal nonsense.

If you have a problem with another user, do NOT take your shots at them on Town Hall. If you feel the need to do that, do it in email or somewhere else.

If you can't restrain yourselves, you're putting your access to Town Hall at risk. That's not a threat, just a fact. This nonsense takes up too much time for everyone concerned.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Need some roadside assistance? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

pluto won't die. he just directs the blame on someone else. he never makes mistakes. but others, oh the nonsense. now i know why i have no interest in visiting mexico. lmao

pluto, do you actually know how to even change your oil? i bet you take it to jiffy lube.

oh but wait, you're the man. ROFLMAO
  • Took about 5 minutes of searching to find that one Pluto. That's about all it was worth too. I found a few other interesting hypocritical statements, but you don't see me posting that list everytime I get bored or to throw off the conversation.

I just find it interesting that you claim others were too unknowledgable, when you didn't even do the homework on your own statements.

People make mistakes. Shame on them if they make the same mistakes over and over. Otherwise let the old mistakes go, or you'll be the one deserving the shame.

I've also got your shock absorber argument right here... (you can guess where) :) No victors in that one, so why keep fighting it? It's just done differently. Next, are you gonna bring up the Ranger door locks again?

Sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.
  • allknowingallknowing Posts: 866
    Maybe you guys missed post #504.
    we didn't miss it. we're just trying to explain to others that the reason there was a post #504, is because of pluto's neverending quest to stir trouble and live in the past. he's the one on here who totally out of the blue starts crap. period.
    If the Ranger's better than the Tacoma, why don't you guys simply post comparo results where the Ranger was rated higher? We've posted links where the Tacoma outperformed the Ranger.

All your little opinions don't mean squat without some real-world evidence to back them up.
    http://cartalk.cars.com/Tools/survey-results-rc-top-bot.pl

Compare maintenance costs between the Ranger and Tacoma. Ranger cost about 6 times as much to maintain!

Your turn. I want to see some links showing the Ranger is better...

• I was wondering if anybody knew how much a 2002 Tacoma extra cab v6 with manual and color keyed pachage with trd should cost. My local dealer here in Alaska told me That I couldn't even get a base v6 manual for under $23000. I think he trying to take advantage of me, am I correct??
    Two months ago a salesman at the same dealer said he could get me a limited for around $25000.

Please give me some feedback.
This discussion has been closed.