Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chinese Auto Market

2»

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,936
    Ford and GM did well, but not the Japanese brands.

"A Chinese industry group says auto sales in September declined as customers avoided Japanese brands amid a dispute between Beijing and Tokyo over a group of uninhabited islands."

China auto sales fall as Japanese brands shunned (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"GM will likely see an immediate increase in sales as Japanese automakers face a tough sell due to the current political dispute between China and Japan," Namrita Chow, a Shanghai-based analyst at IHS Automotive, said in an email.

"GM and (Volkswagen AG) are the best placed to ramp up models in dealerships and push further promotions to win customers who are cash-ready but reluctant to buy Japanese."

China-Japan dispute could give Big 3 boost (Detroit News)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

"The dispute between Japan and China over island territory continued last month to benefit U.S. automakers.

Ford Motor Co. sales jumped 48 percent in October, and General Motors Co. sales increased 14 percent in China, the automakers said Monday.

Toyota's China sales in September and October were nearly sliced in half; Nissan Motor Co. sales dropped 41 percent last month."

U.S. automakers' sales up in China for October (Detroit News)

• is Ford having the quality problem in China with it's newly-produced cars, too?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• fintailfintail Posts: 33,496
    I don't think Ford has much of a presence there, compared to GM and VW
    edited November 2012
    "General Motors' sales in China rose 14.3% in October, and Ford reported a 48% increase even as the country's rate of economic growth slowed.

Ford is a much smaller player, but the 60,518 vehicles sold in October were up 48% from a year ago, and sales are up 14% through 10 months.

The Focus, which Ford now builds in Chongqing, is driving sales as the automaker expands its manufacturing and dealer base in China. Focus racked up a record 33,614 wholesale vehicles sold in October and more than 221,000 year-to-date.

"Together with our partners, we are delighted the Ford Focus has been the best-selling nameplate in China," said Dave Schoch, CEO of Ford China."

GM, Ford sales in China rise despite slowdown in economic growth (Detroit Free Press)

• hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    edited November 2012
    From the New York Times...

By MICHAEL WINES
    Published: November 16, 2012

"IN 1994, China’s Communist rulers decided that the gluttony of party officials with unfettered access to money and privilege was soiling their brand. Indeed, the rulers’ own penchant for black Mercedes stretch limousines sparked no small amount of comment in what was then mostly a nation of bicyclists.

So to set an example, they gave them up. And switched to being chauffeured about town in black Audis, the windows tinted a dusty gray..."
    And "big shot" there means cronyism, dependence on sweatshop labor/blood money, towing the political party line, and embezzlement. Maybe not an image Audi wants in the rest of the world.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,116
    The Mercedes 600 Pullman is the conveyance of any good dictator in a third world kleptocracy though the 1976 Lincoln Continental runs a close second.
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Posts: 4,167
    I agree with your first sentence. However, despicable people and bad images don't seem to tarnish the image of the cars they choose, historically. I can't think of one example to the contrary.
    Good point. If anything, evil sells.
    "Ford Motor Co. set a sales record in China for the third consecutive month in November and bolstering its effort was sales of its Focus compact car.

Ford China registered 67,505 sales in November, up 56 percent compared to the same month last year. Ford China sales are now up 18 percent through the first 11 months of 2012."

Ford sets sales record in China for third consecutive month (Detroit News)

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited December 2012
    Ford is set to prosper big-time in China, if they're not already. The Fiesta ought ta do well there, too, though I'm not certain Ford's Chinese counterpart in production, Changan, makes the Fiesta for Chinese consumption. Though I'd be shocked if they didn't. It should be an absolute natural for China, the Ford Fiesta.

They do.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

2»