Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Galant Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• When I start the car, it idles rough and shakes and tries to stall. If I press the accelerator pedal and hold for a few seconds then let off, it idles good for 10 seconds or so and then goes back into a rough idle. Any thoughts?
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Fuel pump or filter (or something else in the fuel delivery system) would be my guess. The lights dimming is just a result of draining the battery while trying to start it.
  • fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    Bad gas or an idle control sensor failing would be my first guesses.

Bad gas is easy to diagnose: Run a couple of tanks of Premium from a Top Tier brand (http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html) to see if the idle smoothes out.

Other thoughts: Dirty air/fuel filters or spark plugs past their prime.

Does it every actually stall?

You might also try taking to a shop that'll read the engine codes for cheap or free; it's possible the engine's computer is logging a fault condition.
  • Has not stalled. I turned the idle up a tad and that helps momentarily. I rev up the engine for a moment and it smoothes out the idle but, within 30 seconds, drops back down to a rough idle...
2»