Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Meet the Members

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Welcome aboard. Hope the Rodeo treats you well as most of us here know it will. If you upgrade the shocks to gas shocks, you'll notice the ride and handling will be more like your probe, slightly...

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • Hi. This is my first post to the board, though I do post regularly over at the ITOG and VMAG Trooper boards. I have a 95 Trooper LS with just over 153K miles. I bought the truck used in 97 with 90K, and it has been stone-reliable ever since. Modifications include Michelin LTX M/S tires, Rancho 9000 shocks, polyurethane sway bar bushings, and a K&N conical air filter (replacing the stock air box). On the inside I have the factory 12-disc CD changer and upgraded the speakers to Polk EX 602s up front and 402s in the rear.

Regards, Marty
    95 Trooper LS
    I'm in NYC, we'll have to grab Chris Perosi sometime who is also from Northern NJ and do some Off-roading.

-mike
  • miksmimiksmi Silver Spring, MDPosts: 1,246
    Thought I'd swing over here and see how you're doing. I like the topic headings; nicely organized (and the Mods nomenclature is precise). Have fun in your Troopers everyone!

..Mike Smith . 00 Subaru Legacy GT wagon

..Mike

• Greg, we went to the Black Hills of South Dakota, encountered snow N of OK City, and on into Nebraska. Only snow was in the higher elevs. of the Hills... (My mom is at Ellsworth Air Force Base, just east of Rapid City.) About 20 hours straight thru, even with the snow delay, and 3 drivers. May do it again at Spring Break, we'll see (it IS a long drive.)

P.S. Sorry to hear about Arktrooper1 leaving...
    He's just annoyed at the software right now. Hopefully.

Hills in Nebraska? I thought the country was flat til you hit Colorado after PA. Then again I've only been as far west as Ann Arbor, MI!

I plan to remedy that this summer... NYC->SF->LA->Denver->Chicago->NYC!

-mike
  • Thanks for the comments and I will be back. Just tired at this point of what I consider to be two "lame" attempts to "improve" this board and (Edmunds') excuses. Enjoy the members and the conversation! Better go for now...don't want to be deleted...LOL!

-Dave
    So he'll stick it out. I blame the whole mess on Edmund's poor planning. What happened from what I gather, is that the old software was housed on a 3rd party site/location who owned the software and Edmunds knew that on X date their contract would be up and that the software would be going away. They miss estimated how long it would take to get a replacement or didn't want to pay for the proper replacement, etc. and so ended up with their current situation. As I posted in one of the other topics... "Poor Planning on Edmund's Part does NOT constitute an Emergency on our Part" Hopefully they'll get the bugs worked out soon though.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    In Pa let me know if you guys get together to go off-roading. I am interested if it isn't too far away...
  • Hi. I used to own a '90 Trooper, had it for 5 years, and traded it in for an Outback. Now with the family expanding, looking to get a bigger SUV. I would like your advice on the versatility of the Trooper as a good family SUV for a family of 2 adults and three kids (kids will be in booster seats and/or car seats).

Does the Trooper have a 3rd seat option now?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

~Kris
    Well it's an awsome value. There is no 3rd row available from Isuzu in the US. But http://www.littlepassengerseats.com/ does sell 3rd row seats for the Trooper. Very reasonably priced and factory material (supposedly). The Trooper has all the advantages of the AWD that the outback does, but has the huge moonroof, and tons of storage! The downside is the gas milage, but you can't have everything. :) There are some pics on my webpage of the Trooper and a 2000 OB also.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I tried this last week and my post vaporized, but I have made several posts successfully today, so here goes.

My name is Steve, aka BigSwede aka sdc2 on some other boards. I have a 99 Trooper Performance Package, black. I live in Minnsnowta (it is snowing heavily as I type this), so most of my 4WD experience has been in the snow.

Mods so far:

Replaced shocks with Old Man Emu shocks. Much firmer ride with reduced body roll and pitch, no bottoming out on RR track crossings and the like.

Trailer hitch by Hidden Hitch. It hides up behind the bumper, and was a very easy install, highly recommended.

3M ScotchCal protective film applied to leading edge of hood etc. Nearly invisible unless close up, and no added wind noise like a bug deflector!

Mods to come:

Old Man Emu rear coil springs. I have heard nothing but good things about these springs, relatively cheap, too! Anticipate better load capacity, towing, and better handling, plus about 1.5" of lift. They just arrived, but am waiting for "warmer" weather to install.

Bigger tires, probably 265/75R16 Pirelli Scorpions. I will have them on in time for Moab in May!

Replace/upgrade factory speakers.

ECB Nudge Bar ala paisan???

That's all for now ;-)

Steve
    I'm debating wether to get the OME or the Rancho 9000 shocks. I will definitely be doing the OME springs in the rear. How do you think the OME shocks compare to the Ranchos?

-mike
    I like the OME shocks very much, and they seem very heavily built. The ride is significantly firmer than stock, so you better want that. They are supposedly calibrated to work with the OME springs, but with the adjustability of the Ranchos I would think you could find a setting you like with those, too. I think either one would be a good choice.

BTW Mike, did you get my email re: nudge bars?
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    What are the original shocks? I believe they are Bilsteins? They feel a little soft, but they performed well off-road. I too am investigating upgrading shocks, I have also considered adding the same shocks that the Vehicross has, which I am not sure, but I think are Bilsteins with an external heat expansion chamber? I want to avoid any shock that needs manual adjustment.

So my questions are: What shocks are best (I guess we all have that one)? Can we fit shocks with external heat expansion chambers? If we add new shocks or add new rear springs, will we adversely effect the wheel travel? What about using a "more affordable" brand with the same features such as Napa which are also easily replaced.
    Stock are HYDROLIC Tokicos, outside the US they get GAS Tokicos. The shocks on the Trooper could be easily remedied by Isuzu although I'm not sure why (probably they think americans like that soft floaty feeling)

For non-adjustables, I'd go with Edelbrock IAS shocks or the OME ones. I've heard of people using the Monro Sensatrac also.

I like the adjustability, cause you can firm it up for highway use, and loosen it up for off-roading.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I'm not trying to be rude, but we should try to be topical. This sort of aftermarket equipment discussion is helpful, but people are more likely to read it if it's in the right forum. Just trying to be helpful...
    Hey, he started it! ;-)
  • knopfknopf Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I live in Central Wisconsin and I just left the Honda family and purchased a 2001 Rodeo LS V6 4wd SUV. I hope I don't regret it. I've read mixed reviews of this vehicle. We wanted something bigger than the Honda CRV we have. Hopefully we won't regret leaving the our Honda tradition of quality and reliability. What do you all think???
    Travis
  • Hi! My name is Dave and I live in the NW corner of Arkansas.

I own a 2000 Trooper S TOD/Auto that I bought on Sept. 19, 2000. I've got almost 5500 mi. on it and so far it's been great! This is my first 4WD vehicle and it definately won't be my last.

I had been a loyal Toyota owner for 26 years but had liked the Trooper since it's last major change in '92 and when I compared the Trooper to the 4 Runner (roominess, power, quality, drive system, reliability, price) I just had to give the Trooper a try.

It's been snowing and icing more than usual around here and the TOD has worked flawlessly. I realize that 4WD is not a ticket to invincibility on the snow and ice but it does give better traction and stability, no doubt! I was on a back road two weeks ago and came upon the Ark. National Guard in a HUMMER! helping stranded cars on a couple of steep hills. I just drove by and waved! In all fairness there was a JGC and a Ford SD350 that did the same.

I'm not an off-roader yet but when the weather gets a bit better there is a national park about 50 mi. south of here that supposedly has some great trails for light off-roading. Arkansas and Fiser Hummer have put toghther a nice map of off-road trails around the state and I hope to explore quite a few of them over time.

The board is apparantly fixed. Glad to be back!

-Dave
  • I live in Milwaukee, have a 2000 Rodeo V-6, 4wd, and also have a CR-V. I think you'll find the Rodeo quieter and more luxurious, obviously more powerful, and a little better in all this @#%&*% snow we've been having! The CR-V definetely rides better on bad roads, and is more manuverable. As far as reliability is concerned, I think the major components won't give you much trouble in the Rodeo, it may be little things that give you headaches. Also, the Rodeo seems more prone to rattles and squeaks than the CR-V.
    Good luck!

David
  • Hi everyone, my name is Phil.

I bought a 1999 Trooper in August 2000. It was driven by a regional isuzu rep and had 7800 miles. Since it had never been sold and the gave me the manufacturers certificate of origin, the vehicle was still considered *new*, which qualified if for some favorable financing I obtained privately.

It came with virtually every option offered. Performance pkg + leather + moonroof + woodtrim + hitch + multimeter.

$25,900

I'm considering new shocks. the truck blows around on the turnpike when its windy. other than that I'm very *happy*. the more I drive it, the more I like the truck.

Great looking too! I've got black which looks great in the monocromatic paint.

My kids love it too.
  • vivayovivayo Posts: 32
    Hi, everyone. Name's Charlie. I'm in Maryland, near Andrews AFB. After spending several months looking at SUVs I decided on a Trooper. It didn't hurt that SWMBO likes it, too. Thanks to Edmunds, I was well informed when I went to see the local dealer (Pohanka Oldsmobile-Isuzu, Marlow Heights, MD). We picked out a 2wd 2001 Trooper LS in Moonmist Grey. The only option I wanted was the side sport steps - she's just under 5', so the steps are not just for show. The salesman wrote up the order for invoice. They called a week later to say that they couldn't find what I wanted unless I would take it with a moonroof. I said okay, provided I got it at invoice too. A week later they called to say they had the vehicle and I could pick it up that evening. When I did, they showed me the invoice - $25,889 (LS) + $935 (moonroof) + $340 (steps). That fit with what Edmunds showed, but then they had added on $896 holdback, $299 advertising, and $200 floor charge. I explained to the salesman that holdback would be paid to them by Isuzu, not me. I also told him I wasn't paying any advertising fees because they didn't have to advertise to sell the vehicle. I'd asked them to order it. And I sure wasn't gonna pay a $200 floor charge for a vehicle that would be on their lot less than 12 hours. I told the salesman that I'd pay the invoice plus the $520 inland freight and nothing more (well, I'd pay the tax, tags, & registration;-). He hesitated a bit but said he'd talk to the sales mgr. He was back in less than 5 minutes and said "Okay, we've got a deal." Needless to say, I was prepared for a battle, but didn't even get an argument. I think it didn't hurt my case any that I happened to pick it up the same day that GM announced the end of the line for Oldsmobile, heh heh.
    I commute in a '94 S-10 and SWMBO drives a '93 Bonneville (with all of 22,700 miles on it) so the Trooper won't see too much action, but we'll be using it on weekends and trips. I'll be happy to get the first 500 miles on it so I can stay with the flow of traffic. Right now I'm pretty much restricted to the right lane and have to put up with people scowling and shaking the heads (and a few fists) as the zip past. The speed limit might be 55, but believe me, you don't want to drive that slow. Anything under 65 is gonna p*ss people off.
    Anyway, I probably won't have much to say on here but will lurk in the shadows and read what you all have to say.
    Regards,
    Charlie
    Oh yeah - in case some of you aren't familiar with it - SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed
  • Hello everyone,

My name is Chris Miller. Some of you might know me from Trooper part I where I *ignore* placed my greeting.
    Recently purchased 2 LS Troopers and am really enjoying the trucks. Bought one for myself then liked it so much mom and I bought one for dad for Christmas. After seeing what people say they paid,I am very happy with the price of both trucks. can turn you on to a dealer who will beat any price I have seen posted. live in Memphis n. and don't see to much bad weather so they are both 2wd. It has been fun to read everyones posts on this site.

When I first purchased the truck I soon realized it takes some homework to find after market accessories. I would appreciate any ones thoughts on a semi-retail(retail services,not retail prices)web site devoted to catalouging and selling trooper accessories.

Hope everyone has a happy new year,
    Chris
  • Hi,

I didn't know you had a CR-V. By the way, now that you had Monroe matic on your Rodeo, how is the ride on moderately rough road compares to the CR-V?

My experience with Monroe matic is that the harshness on bumps and dips is tamed and it has better rebound control. I also readjusted the tighness of the upper bushings, just enough to make them bulge SLIGHTLY on the sides (or if with OEM bushings, just enough that you can't rotate the washers by hand). Of course, you can fine tune the tightness. Too tight, and it will pick up all the small road bumps. Too loose, and it will have excessive suspension movement especially at high speed, and the bushing's life will also suffer.
  • I also followed the recomended tire pressure which is 26 PSI (16" wheel). Together with the new shocks, it made a whole lot of improvement in the ride comfort.
    That seems awfully low, I believe the tires should be in the 30s at least. If you do 26, you run the risk of the exploders fate. Lower pressure = mushier tires + more rubber on the road = softer ride + extra heat = tire failure + rollover!

Just my 2 cents.

-mike
  • You will find this surprising because other SUV's and cars are also recommending 26-28 PSI (as indicated at the door jamb). Also the Explorer's R&D engineers chose 26 PSI because it gave the best ride comfort and not too much dry road GRIP to cause it to tip over when cornering hard (shown in TV in one investigative report).

However, the tire supplier to Explorer doesn't have the safety belt clip that prevents the thread to fly off if it starts to separate plus it had horrible manufacturing quality standards.

If you just take a closer look at the manual, it states there that additional 2-5 PSI is recommended when driving at high speeds (>75 mph?) for an extended periods of time.
  • slowly leaking air (considered normal by some but this is more common on this specific tire). Most were unnoticed by the owners, driving around with severely underinflated tires, until it's too late.