Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Meet the Members

Comments

• it was supposed to read...

dealer in MN 2000 w/17,250

an o.k. deal
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Welcome onboard!

I too like my trooper cause it reminds me of my old '83 Dodge Ramcharger SUV! It also had nice steel bumpers :( I put on a pushbar and it helped stop scuffs when I had to shoehorn into a parking spot in manhattan last night!

-mike

http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

I sat in almost every SUV at the show. I'm proud to say that there was only 2 or 3 trucks that were as or more comfy in the front and 2nd row of seats as the Trooper.

Toyota Land Cruiser
    Toyota Sequoia
    Suburban/Yukon XL
    Excursion

My favorite was the Land Cruiser, but at $57K, it's almost 2x the price of my Trooper! I can't wait for 2003 when the Isuzu Built V8 3-row of seats Trooper comes out!

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    There is no way I'd take that deal with half warranty on the power train. Something is wrong there. I'd look for some other troopers. Where are you anyways?
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Howdy to another (potential) Minnesota Trooper owner!

You didn't mention which model Trooper you were looking at. I think you can get a new mid-line Trooper (which one is that now, LS??) for under $25K, so how much is a longer warranty and 17K less miles worth to you?
    Should be in the $26-$27K area before TTL.

-mike
    You should be able to get a '00 trooper S with under 17,000-18,000 miles right around $20,500 or less with full warranty remaining. Probably not a lot of new 2000s left, but its worth looking into. Might be able to get one at $21k or less. I thought I saw new ones under 21k but that was a couple months ago.
    Is NON-TRANSFERRABLE on the 10/120K portion except to family members. So beware of buying a used 2000,2001.

-mike
    Is that the case on dealer sold vehicles (eg corporate vehicles sold by Isuzu). Is this something new for the 2000/2001 120k/10 yr warranty? For the '99 vehicle I bought the 60k/5yr warranty was fully backed by the dealer. My mistake if this is the case for the 2000s. Maybe 60k/5yr at $19.5k would be an ok deal on a 2000 with 18,000 miles, but I'd wonder about a rental. On the other hand, some rentals could be better cared for by an agency than by some private owners.
    I saw a bunch of troopers at Hertz, when I went to Big Sky, MT the other week. They all looked like they were well kept, and they were in great shape. I actually tried out a Subaru outback. I was disappointed by the lack of power up the mountains. It also wouldn't downshift to 2nd so I could wind it out up the mountain, until I slowed it way down. (I read where they've just come out with a V6 for it.) Three people in the outback + gear. I also really felt cramped in there after being in my trooper, but it was worth messing around with it in the snow.
    They have H4s and H6s :)

The 10/120K warranty is only transferrable to family members on the Isuzus for 2000-2001. I believe the 3/50K is transferrable though. If you buy a seperate warranty they are usually transferrable or if it's a factory extended it should be transferrable. I'm planning on getting my bumper to bumper extended to 100K

-mike
    I read about a new 6 in the outback in the Saturday paper the other weekend--didn't recall what kind but I thought V6 might have been wrong. What is an H6--is that the same as a straight 6? (i.e. what I had in a ' 63 FORD Falcon--my 1st car--used; I'm not that old).
    H6 is the designation for a horizontally opposed engine. (180 degree V engine) These engines are perfectly balanced due to the 180 degree angle between cylinders. Others who use H engines include:

VW Beetle (original ones)
    Corvair
    Ferrari Testarossa
    Porsche 911

I have an H6 in my '88 subaru XT6, they are quite torquey.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    The 6 cyl. Subaru Outback is nice I'm sure, but I saw it on C&D TV and it stickers for over $32K!!! Thats more than the sticker on my Trooper!
    Sticker isn't telling the whole story. They are selling for aroune $29K

They are expensive, but the VDC does have full traction control, a Mcintosh stereo, leather. You are mostly paying for the VDC-Traction control system.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    My understanding was that a 2000 or newer Trooper that is sold to a non-family member still provides 5 years / 60,000 miles coverage to the new owner. Yes, it sucks to lose the 10 year / 120k mile powertrain warranty, but 5/60 is still better than most. Plus you will be very unlikely to ever need the warranty anyway.

My guess on Isuzu corporate vehicles sold to private owners is that you'd get the full 10/120 warranty. I bought a 1998 Trooper that was an Isuzu corporate vehicle, and a few weeks later I received materials from Isuzu thanking me for my purchase of a NEW Trooper. So to them, it was new. Of course, it had door dings etc. even though the selling, out-of-state dealer assured me the truck was "immaculate," but that's another story.
  • raydahsraydahs Posts: 449
    Hello fellow Isuzu owners, I have a White 99’ Trooper S W/Performance package. I bought it
    On Memorial Day 99’, I’ve got 43k miles on it 10k is traveling to Oregon from San Diego. I’ve
    Logged all my mileage, its averaging 17.0-mpg. (80% hwy - 20% city). For now the only
    Modifications I’ve made are; re-tinted all the windows, the stock stuff is for looks only and I just added a set of 16x8 alloys. (Just for your info the stock rims are a +38mm offset, the ones I put on are a –9mm offset which brings the wheel flush with the fender flare). I left the stock tires on it because I still have at least 15k left on the stock Bridgestone’s…amazing, plus I wanted to see how much room I had left to put a bigger tire on it when its time to get new ones. I’m leaning towards the BFG-AT 245/75’s after reading what troopin has to say about their performance.

This So.Cal Trooper travels to Oregon often, I don’t read the snow/icy terrain well at all. They
    use ground up cinders (adobe red) on the roads where I travel, which changes the color of the pavement, sometimes I think I’m on pavement w/cinders only to find out later that I’m one ice w/cinders ground into it! That’s one of the main reasons I picked the Trooper (TOD a.k.a. FWD for dummies). I almost bought a Subie Forester (fun little car w/a 5-speed), but after doing research on insurance cost, it was a almost break-even situation. Although I would have received @ 7 mpg more, the insurance cost $350 more a year plus I can tow 3000 lb. More.

The deciding factor was when I opened the hood and saw the engine layout. I’m a Electro-Mechanical designer, and all day I try to figure out how to package things so it can be manufactured efficiently and so other people can work on it without saying “who’s the idiot who designed this, what were they thinking”. Well to me, everything is laid out in a logical manner. Most maintenance can be done in your garage if you have the ability and desire to do so. It’s nice to know I can reach all 6 plugs without pulling a hamstring and busting up your fingers trying to find plug #6 as with the X-TERRA (now that’s a poor packaging job, especially the wiring). Anyway, I’m not posting this to slam other manufacturers or people who buy their vehicles, but if
    you plan on keeping your rig for a long time (I’m going to run mine into the ground) it’s a good one. Keep in mind, if gas goes up to $3.00/gal. all SUV owners are going to have $30,000 paperweights. Why pay more, go for the best deal available?

I’ve been following this board for a while now, Mr. Paisan (a.k.a. JOE ISUZU) you’ve done a great job getting this board together, keep up the good work, you do keep us informed as do all the rest
    of you…thanks!
    Thanks for the compliment! Now if I only had Joe Isuzu's money... Speaking of which he is back in the advertising rotation.

What did you do with your old rims... I may be looking for a pair...

-mike
    He Mike:

I sold them to my boss who has a 94'Trooper
    5-speed for $350.00, plus he gave me his steel
    stokers to use as snow wheels. They'll come in handy if I ever make it to the Pacific N.. to live, for now they just take up space in the garage. If I get sick of looking at them I'll let you know.
    The previous post should have read:
    Hey mike:

I sold them to my boss who has a 94' Trooper
    5-speed for $350.00, plus he gave me his steel
    stockers to use as snow wheels. they'll come in
    handy if I ever make it to the Pacific N.W. to
    live. for now they just take up room in the garage. If i get tired of looking at them I'll let
    you know.

Guess I don't know how to use spell checker!
    I did some updating of my webpage...

http://www.iace.com/isuzu/

-mike

Sasquatch asked over in the Trooper v. Durango what the difference between the Trooper S, LS and Limited were so I figured I'd put it here since it's useful stuff...

LS adds:
    Upgraded Seats (more lumbar support, arm rests, power driver and pass seats)
    Side Door, rear side, and rear in-glass tinted windows (20%)
    Rear side mounted in-glass Antenna
    6-disc changer
    Automatic Trans std.
    Moonroof Available
    Different Rims
    Power retractable mirrors
    Heated seats
    Fog Lights
    Mono-tone Paint

Ltd adds:
    Moonroof std.
    Altimeter, barometer, outside temp, compass cluster
    Different rims
    2 tone paint

-mike
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Would any Isuzu owners like to have your own chat? Let me know and I'll see about getting one set up for you.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

could be interesting
    M,T,TH are good for me. Maybe we can have it right after or before the Subaru chats on thurs.

-mike
  • I just bought a 2000 4WD S model w/hood protector, 6CD changer for 19,300 plus trade of '89 Camry (184K miles) and '92 Trooper (135k miles, most basic version). The S is a big step forward from the '92 and we love it!
    Welcome to the club. Sounds like an all-right deal. I don't know that I would have traded in both vehicles (is that how I read it?), but it beats taking one to the junkyard.
    Welcome on board! We have a ton of fun here. Feel free to ask questions and let us know how things progress. You can check out my Isuzu page at:

http://www.iace.com/isuzu

and my personal Trooper page at:

http://www.iace.com/isuzu/trooper

-mike

• Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    Great! I'll contact Dana to get the ball rolling.

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Thanks for the comments. After debating with myself for a while I decided the Trooper was the way to go. I ended up with a 2000 S w/17,000m aut. 4wd + ski rack package for 13,900$ with trade in of 95 Windstar LX w/100,000m. That van had to go. It turns out the Trooper was not a rental after all but privately owned or leased. It may not have been the smartest thing to do, but I bought the extended bumper to bumper warranty to 100,000m. After dealing with the Windstar an increase in my monthly payment by 25$ didn't seem so bad. Oh well.

There sure seems to be a definite "Trooper club" out there. On my way home another Trooper owner gave me a big thumbs up as he drove by. I smiled the rest of the way home thinking I really did make a good choice!