Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camry 2011 transmission problem

knguyen00knguyen00 Posts: 1
2011 Camry 3 weeks of usage with approximately 600 mileage. When the car is parked and when I start to drive it again, once the first gear disengages there's a slight clicking noise to it. Also, when I change the gear from park to reverse or drive, it's really rough and really noisy. The gear change is not smooth at all. Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem.

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Just take it back to the dealership, let them worry about what the problem is. That's the advantage of a warranty on a new vehicle.
    Just take it back to the dealership, let them worry about what the problem is. That's the advantage of a warranty on a new vehicle.
  • I noticed that when I was testing out the Camry at the dealership this weekend. Very stiff and noisy. Weird.
  • mfjmfj Posts: 2
    edited June 2010
    Yes, I have had very similar issues with my 2011 Camry (less than 900 miles). In addition, the transmission sounds very "tinny" and high pitched at ~ 3,000rpm and at 30 mph - especially accelerating from a stop and going up inclines. Also, the brake pedal seems to "bind" slightly at the beginning of the braking stroke at low speeds. I did not notice this when I test drove the Camry and the findings seem to be getting more pronounced during the last few weeks. I am bringing it to the dealership this week.
  • My car has the same problem too. When I took it to the Dealer, the car was already warm up, they tested drive with me, didn't hear anything. It usually happens after your car parked for couple hours, it cools down, and then it starts making noise after reverse and accelerate it.

mfi, I wonder what the dealer tell you when you bring your car to them.
  • galinagalina Posts: 3
    I have 2 weeks old Toyota Camry LE 2011 with automatic trasmission. When in drive on the incline it rolls back the way a manual trasmission car would, but there is no hand brake to stop it. It rolled back 10+ yeard (while in drive) on a low incline, as well on a steap one. It does not do it every time. It rolls back 50% of time.
    I left it at a Dealership Service for a day and they told me that there was nothing they could have done about it. They gave me another LE 2011 for the day as rental and it behaved the same way. I wonder if anybody else noticed the problem? I do not want an automatic trasmission car with the added roll back feature.
    edited July 2010
    The Camry behaves on a hill as every other automatic transmission vehicle I've driven before and own.....so not sure what you are comparing it against.

Did you try putting your left foot on the brake, and then slowly release it as you begin to accelerate with your right foot?

If you let the vehicle roll back 30 feet before stopping it, you need to enroll in remedial drivers ed.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "..no hand brake..."

???

Foot operated parking or e-brake...??
    I've been driving for 20+ years, many cars: automatic and manual, but I've never had a automatic transmission car "in drive", that rolls back as fast and as far (does not stop till it gets to a flat surface). Manual transmission cars that I'd driven had a hand brake where a stick was, easy to operate.
    My previous Toyota Camry 2006 rolled back a little and then stopped, but the 2011 model seems to be unpredictable on the hill. I was looking for a boring predictable car with no thrills of driving a manual transmission car.
    Due to the fact that modern automatics spend a lot of travel time in "lock-up" mode the torque converter has less need to provide a hard/solid coupling as in yesteryear. Lower weight, less complexity, lower heat loss, improved FE.

A lot like dis-engaging a clutch these days.

Which is also why many modern cars now also come equipped with "hill-assist", automatically hold the brakes "on" after they're used to stop until the gas pedal is again depressed.
    Then there should be some predictability: it does not roll back, it rolls back a little, or it rolls back all the way to the bottom of the hill. This one is unpredictable on the same hills: it does all three depending on I have no idea what. So, when I think about driving in the traffic on the highway uphill in a snowstorm... Should I press and release the other brake below the wheel in order not to roll back? I am afraid it is too much thrill for me. So, the loud noise when the gear shifts does not look like a problem at the moment, even if my car has it.
    edited July 2010
    Which is also why many modern cars now also come equipped with "hill-assist", automatically hold the brakes "on" after they're used to stop until the gas pedal is again depressed.

Other than some 4 wheel drive off road vehicles, what are some of the new cars that have this feature? Haven't been broad range competitive new car shopping in a year or two. With all of the sensors and brake control already in place, shouldn't take a whole lot more than some software program the computer for this functionality. Didn't realize that it may be broadly deployed and available.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    Use your left foot on the MAIN Brake Pedal. When stopped on a hill press the main brake pedal with your left foot to keep the car from rolling back. Very simple procedure. Use this method until Toyota comes up with a fix. I always left foot brake on hills in heavy traffic--stop and go-- with an automatic transmission,
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi folks,i just returned from my local toyota dealership after haveing test driven a 2011 toyota camry base model with auto trans.i wanted to see for myself if all of the tranny issues were correct before i purchased this car.sure enough,the car i test drove also did the same things.the tranny lurches,very annoying harsh shifting in city traffic and very often as well.i couldn't believe that this was the mighty camry that i was test driveing.salesmen sitting beside me during the test drive said that all camry's are like this and that there isn't a fault.needless to say,i found the transmission very annoying and my test drive was over in a matter of 5 minutes before i went back to the dealership..toyota's are just not the same when they were built in japan like the camry's of the 1980's or early ninety's..i will shift my attention towards the new 2011 hyundai sonata which i was told has a very smooth shifting automatic transmission....
    With the ongoing need for improving FE and the advent of lockup clutches and 6 speeds automatic transmission shift patterns have changed dramatically throughout the industry.
  • zaken1zaken1 Posts: 556
    It is certainly OK to shift your attention to other vehicles; but I would caution you about deciding to buy a vehicle PRIMARILY because you like the way the automatic transmission shifts. The transmission shift quality is a tiny fraction of all the potential issues in new cars. And Hyundai, despite all the PR hype about the advancements in their newest models, has a long history of quality problems and short life expectancy. If the new models live up to their claims and don't turn out to have other new problems after five years of real world service, then I might reconsider this issue; but I've observed this same cycle with over-hyped new models too many times in the past to take it seriously. A much more tried and tested route would be to buy a Toyota with a manual transmission; since the rest of the car is largely bulletproof; and it is the automatic transmissions which have been the source of most of their major problems.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    i would urge anybody in the market for a 2011 toyota camry to take the car for a lengthy test drive and see if the transmission will work for you..on my recent test drive of a 2011 camry base with auto all of the complaints about the rough shifting tranny were evident on my test drive.between 25-35 mph the tranny keeps hunting for the right gear with jerking and abrupt shifting which i felt was rather annoying.i decided i didn't want to get stuck with a car like this and decided not to go with the camry.thank god for test drives....will drive the new 2011 huyndai sonata tomorow which from what i hear from others has a very smooth shifting automatic transmission..
    A FWD with a stick shift can be fraught with issues.

ONLY VW seems to have addressed the problem, automatically up-revving the engine to prevent loss of directional control should the driver downshift to a level that inadvertently results in too much compression braking for current road conditions.
    Keeping a FWD vehicle, or even a F/awd vehicle, equipped with a 6 (9) speed gearbox in the "right" gear for all throttle, coastdown, engine braking, circumstances is NOT an easily overcome issue.
  • tinantinan Posts: 2
    My car makes the first noise (sound like popping) as I start the engine and reach 10 mph. About 1 minute later, it makes the second noise (same sound). I took it to dealer, the manager said every 2011 Camry has that noisy because of ABS system. He said nothing is wrong with the transmission or engine; therefore, they did not fix at all. Does any one have the same dealer's answer like me? Unwelcome noises from brand new car are my good morning message every day. Could you suggest what I need to do? Thanks.
  • Yes, my car makes noises when I start accelerating about 10 mph. I took it to the dealer, they told me the same thing, which I didn't believe it. The ABS system is from the front of the car, but the noise is from the back.
  • tinantinan Posts: 2
    I called Toyota headquarter in Cali 1-800-331-4331 this morning. The representative said it is the first time to hear this problem. And he did not have a test drive 2011 Camry yet, so he doesn't know 2011 Camry noise problem. Do you believe it that Toyota Company totally has not known 2011 Camry noise problem while dealers said every car? That means car buyers have not reported the problem to company. I guess if every buyers report to company, they will recall to fix it. Will you try sunshine43? Thanks.
    edited August 2010
    There is an ABS self test that the ABS system goes thru when first starting. It's up in the front right corner, with a bunch of metal tubes coming out of it. You should find it written up in the owners manual as perfectly normal. It will become much less noticeable after a couple months. I don't know when I stopped hearing it on our '07, but it didn't take too long.

I walked beside it with the hood open and my hand on the ABS pump, to find and determine what the problem was when I first heard it.

It is a perfectly normal situation.
  • n26w81n26w81 Posts: 4
    Got a 2011 Camry LE 4cyl AT with about 1500 miles and 4 months of driving (don't laugh).
    After the car is started after being parked for several hours, there's a single pronounced "clunk" from under the car when I make the first turn out of the driveway, in either forwards and reverse. The direction of the turn doesn't matter either. But it occurs only on the first turn after starting the car. Sometimes, the clunk seems to come from the back, sometimes from the front. Any others have this issue or is there already a TSB?

The rattle occurs when I change lanes and hit one of those little reflectors in the pavement. It definitely comes from the wheel area. It has the same sound as loose brake calipers. I recently read in another forum that one 2011 owner found his rattles were because of loose bolts in the suspension. Anyone have this same issue?
  • I have a 2011 SE and is having the same noises. Have you figured out what this is yet?
    Check to see that the 'clunk', isn't the ABS doing it's self test.
  • i owned a few toyota camry's from the 1990's and never experienced the "clunks" and "rattles" and other misc noises that people on this forum are haveing..they just don't make em like they used to when the camry's were built exclusivly in japan.
  • My car had exactly the same problem that you described. Please call Toyota California 1800-331-4331 to report. I called them and told them about it, they were very appreciated, and the more people report, the better taking action they will.
    I don't buy it is ABS self checking and I own 4 Toyota cars in my family, they were all running good except Camry 2011.
  • no wonder why toyota is slashing the prices on these cars.they are pure garbage and i feel sorry for any camry owner's.haveing a 2011 toyota camry with these issues is untolerable.my friends wife bought a 2010 camry last summer and most recently traded it in for a 2011 hyundai sonata.his camry had issues from day 1..tranny issues regarding harsh shifts,jerking shifts,were becomeing very annoying to him as well as the strange noises comeing from up front.dealer service advisor was useless.the difference between the camry and the new sonata is night and day.the new sonata is like when toyota was in their prime and the 2011 camry is like when hyundai was just starting out in 1986...that's where these 2 auto makers are at right now.........