Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camry 2011 transmission problem

Comments

• delbardelbar Posts: 32
    unreal - isn't it ? never had a minutes problems with any car I have ever owned, just this one
  • purupuru Posts: 11
    Yup, I hear you. I really don't know what to tell you, its a terrible feeling isn't it ?
    I am going to file a complaint with NHTSA pretty soon.

In last 3 years I have driven a lot of new cars, since I do a lot of consulting work in different states,I rent cars almost every week.
    I have never seen this kind of an issue with any of the cars...infact I rented a Camry SE 2011 couple of weeks back and it was fine, that is why i feel all the more bad.
    Its high time Toyota starts taking these complaints seriously..common guys be professional, take ownership of the issues and fix it.
    I agree and I have said from the get go that Toyota just needs to admit the issue, fix it and move on!!! Funny you should say the SE did not have the problem because during one of my many trips to the dealership one of the sale people suggested I trade my LE for the SE so I am thinking they all know of the issue but their hands are tied as well !! who the hell knows at this point
    anyway let me know when you file complaint I will follow suit.
    thanks
  • I own a 2010 Avalon and also share the 6-speed auto. transmission issue. It is the most annoying thing to live with. At low speeds, when foot is released from accelerator, car feels like it will stall immediately. I miss the old technology (smooth, coasting transmissions) so very much. Never once drove any car like this before. Like everyone else with Toyota's 6-speed automatics, we are unhappy owners stuck with this frustration. Almost feel trapped and scammed by purchasing such an automobile that is so annoying to drive. A recall is 100% needed on this issue.
  • rg1986rg1986 Posts: 1
    I have been having the same issue. I have a 2011 Camry SE, I have to tell you it's the most annoying thing to go through. I've taken the car to the service center, spoke with several managers and all I get is a "Are you sure ?" Or "Did you hit/run over something?" I've called corporate, you name it, I've done it. My car only has 2,000k and has been with me for 3 months now. As for what to do next ? I have no idea but I'll say this much I will not stay with the car.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    "...I will not stay with the car.."

Outside of switching to a manual transmission you're not very likely to find an improvement, not a modern day one anyway.

All new cars with automatics have and use the coastdown fuel cut technique to extend FE, which is what you are likely experiencing. Since FE is involved no recall can be of help. The technique actually goes back to ~'01, but with the old 3-4 speed transaxles wasn't nearly as noticeable (bothersome??) as with the newer 6(10) speed transaxles.
  • typesixtypesix Posts: 314
    I can tell you that it's just as noticeable with the 4 spd auto tranny on my 2004 Highlander which has the same 2.4 engine as the Camry, that along with the torque converter lockup in place till about 20-25 mph.
    Right after I bought our new '01 RX300 F/awd I definitely noticed the "awkward" coastdown fuel cut "lurches" but soon forgot about them and now have to take special notice to "feel" them.
    WWest,
    Can you please elaborate on the fuel cut technique to extend fuel efficiency ?

Here's what I experience with my new Camry.
    As soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal, I feel the car will stall. I experience a kind of resistance where the car will not move smoothly till I give it more gas. This happens may be 6 out of 10 times, which is all the more bothersome.

I have changed my driving style a little bit...I NEVER take foot off the gas pedal unless I have to apply breaks. Even when the car doesn't need gas, I still keep my feet on the accelerator without applying pressure.
    I don't know whether this is a right way of doing it, but it has helped me to overcome the stalling issue t some extent.

Is this how the "drive by wire" technology is suppose to function ?
    It used to be, with automatic transmissions, that when you lifted your foot from the gas pedal and the car was still in motion, "coastdown" mode, the engine was prevented from stalling via, primarily, feeding it just enough gas to keep it running well into the idle range. The early torque converter's often did not provide enough "back-torque", compression braking, to keep the engine turning fast enough not to stall out.

That has now changed with the advent of more "robust", heavier duty, torque converter lockup clutches. Nowadays the engine/transaxle controlling ECU can engage the lockup clutch, eliminating the torque converter "slippage", and then sequentually downshift the transaxle as roadspeed declines. That serves to keep the engine turning over at or above idle. So when fuel feed is restored the engine simply "restarts". Once roadspeed declines enough, too much, the lockup clutch is disengaged, fuel feed is restored, and in some instances the transaxle is even upshifted. That's most typically when you get that forward "lurch" seat of the pants feeling.

So yes, you now have more effective engine compression braking during coastdown periods. But for FWD vehicles not so much as to really threaten directional control loss due to tire slip/skid in most instances. For FWD and F/awd vehicles the coastdown fuel cut technique shift pattern, "downshift" pattern, becomes a bit more aggressive if the driver applies the brakes during the coastdown fuel cut technique period of use.

The driver's use of the brakes "implies" knowledge that the roadbed traction is sufficient to support the more aggressive engine braking downshift pattern.

With all these variables it's easy to see why one only notices the effect 6 out of ten times.

So go ahead and save gas by fully lifting the pressure on the gas pedal and trust that the computer will prevent the engine from fully stalling....it will.
    Thank you ! You seem to know a lot about the engineering of cars.
    From your previous posts, you have mentioned about "Auto Braking" during coast-down, what is that ?

I have also observed that with this Camry, I can clearly feel the gear changing and the car like pause a little bit, especially at low speed.
    I don't know whether it has anything to do with the new 6 speed auto transmission or is it just the cold weather.
    Is this very common pattern that people are observing/ complaining about ?
    Without looking backwards my guess would that "auto-braking" refers to the more aggressive coastdown fuel cut technique that activates once YOU use the brakes.

And yes, the "lurch" from downshifting is much more noticeable as you reach lower speeds. Shifting, up or down, is much more noticeable, slightly more discomforting, with the new 6(10) speed transmission than was the old 3-4 speed transaxles.
    it is not the cold weather - trust me - I live in florida and have this issue daily !!
    is there a car on the market that does not have these issues !!!!???
  • jl1688jl1688 Posts: 2
    I got a 2011 Camry SE V4 less then 2 weeks of usage with approximately 400 mileage. When the car is parked and when I start to drive it again, once the first gear disengages there's a slight clicking noise to it and it was better when the car warm up but still hear the clicking nois. I went back to the dealer "Roseville Toyota" the tech test drive it and he said that is standard on the Camry SE. he print out the info about it that last modify on 12-08-10 and they knew about it but I got my car 5 weeks later and the sales didn't let me know the noise and I went back to the sales team and they test other cars and only SE V4 has the noice and V6 didn't and they ask me to pick a diff car. I go for the V6 but they ask me to pay $4500 more because the care cost more, I agree to gv $2000 more and they are not able to it for me and I talk to the "General Sales Manager" and he kick me out of his office. if you want to buy a Toyota, buy it at other dealer, don't go to "Roseville Toyota". they don't tell you the truth about the car and they just want to make the sales.
  • Slight clicking noise that you're hearing is most likely ABS self test that's done automatically when you start driving your car after it was parked and it is perfectly normal.
  • jl1688jl1688 Posts: 2
    since you know a lot of info about the Camry transmission. now my car has about 600 miles and I think the clicking noise is getting louder. do you have any suggestion what can I do since dealer not to fix it for me?
  • I'm trying to tell you this is that most likely not a transmission noise and there is nothing to fix.
    http://www.toyotacomplaint.com/ is a website that may be helpful to us all

also, I have been shopping around for a different car, and am thinking of trading in this camry for a Ford Escape or a Honda CR-V
    anyone have any input as to these having the same issues with the tranny
    2012 Ford Escape is to have a completely new restyled body. Escape hybrid uses a CVT (PSD) so not likely to have tranny problems.

On the other hand ANY newer(***) automatic transmission is likely to have the same "problems" as the Camry.

A) ~2000, Abolition of the ATF line pressure accumulator and constant pressure relief valve/spring.

B) Adoption of the FE coastdown fuel cut technique.

C) More robust lockup cutch and 6(10) speed transmissions.
  • bj02176bj02176 Posts: 115
    You better hold off on that Escape, I just got rid of my 2010. The transmission seemed odd, it would slam back and forth violently trying to find the right gear when the gas pedal was floored.

It had a transmisiion recall, they said it was fixed, not!

Rear drum brakes made a clicking sound, electric steering squeeked in the summer time.

Noises from the front while braking on a right hand turn

Do a search on leaking and transmission problems.

Maybe I just had a lemon.