Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    You might want to rename your album and give it a short-name. Go to the album (or a photo in it) and up near the description in an edit link. Click that. You want to change the field from

http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/Albums/ISUZU TROOPER FORUM

to something like http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/Albums/isuzutrooper -No spaces.
  • atfdmikeatfdmike Posts: 414
    Thanks Sylvia, I changed the album name per your suggestion. I did not know that there was a limit to the number of characters for the link.
    Will previous photo links still take a user to the right place?
    Thanks again.
    Answered my own question....nope. So here are new addresses for the most recent posts. Feel free to let me know if you need an older link reestablished.

Links regarding alternator/blower motor/restart relay

http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/Albums/trooper/94starterwire2.gif/page/photo.ht- ml#pic

http://www.carspace.com/atfdmike/Albums/trooper/94starterwire1.gif/page/photo.ht- ml#pic
  • hi, i need help desperately. i am borrowing my moms car, the 93 trooper dohc....
    i was driving last night, when the engine sputtered and died. i let it sit for the night, then checked it out this morning. when you turn the key, the starter kicks in, but the engine wouldnt start. i replaced the fuel filter, since it was an easy cheap thing that needed done anyways.
    after replacing the filter, i tried starting the car. i cranked it several times, for about ten to twenty seconds, to try and make sure the gas lines were full.
    it was trying to start, but then, i turned the ignition off, removed the key, and heard a weird noise....
    it sounded like a vacuum at a car wash. the only way i could get it off was to disconnect the battery. the sound is coming from the front, bottom drivers side of the engine, and i need to know what to do.....
  • I have a 2000 Isuzu Trooper with the 3.5L V6. When I first press down the gas pedal I get some hesitation but if i hold down the gas pedal it smoothes out after a second...it only does this with the initial acceleration like from a dead stop not if i push the pedal down while driving. I have completely removed and cleaned the EGR valve, MAF sensor, and changed plugs and air filter. Also I keep hearing a rattling sound when the engine is cold and i first accelerate but it also goes away after i get some speed up. I crawled under while it was running and checked the exhaust with a glove and didnt seem to find any exhaust leaks, although that is where it sounds like it is coming from.....Can anyone give some suggestions?
  • bahmedbahmed Posts: 66
    You may want to check the Intake Manifold Gasket Leak, a whistling sound comes at cold start if there is any leak, after the engine warms up the leak closes and the sound goes away, this has been observed by many Isuzu users, checking the Fuel filter, using a Fuel Injector cleaner, may help as well.
  • As far as replacing the Intake Gasket....This is my 2nd Trooper first was a 91 but havent had the 2000 very long, is replacing the gasket something that should be done by a professional or can it be done by myself?....I have some mechanic experience but not a whole lot. How should I go about checking the gasket to see if that is it?
  • bahmedbahmed Posts: 66
    Forgot to mention in my previous reply, if you had a Timing Belt change recently, then that is the first suspect, incorrect Timing Belt installation or timing belt jumped and everything is out of timing, a sluggish accelaration from stop to go is primary indication.
    I have heard a leaky Intake Manifold Gasket change is a medium to complex difficulty job, I would reccommend a professional to work on it once it is confirmed. Hope this helps. Check the Transmission Oil level and condition as well.
    A word of caution. Cranking the engine for a long period will damage the starter. Personally, cranking more than 20 seconds is a long time. You should wait several minutes before cranking again if you crank that long more than once or twice. In your case, the fuel pump is electric and only runs for two seconds when you first turn on the key. After that, unless the engine builds up oil pressure the fuel pump stays off until you release the key and turn it to off then back to ignition again. Try this several times before cranking, as you may have gotten some air in the lines when changing the filter.
    As to your noise, I can't think of what might be making a noise that does not stop without unhooking the battery. That does not sound like a vacuum leak. Are you sure about the location of the noise? the anti lock brake unit if equipped will cycle periodically but not constantly. When you reconnect the battery, does the noise start up, or only when you try to start the trupr? The fuel pump does make some noise, but should not be running constantly unless the trupr is running. The pump is mounted in the fuel tank in the rear of the vehicle. Hear anything back there? Good idea to have someone listen when you turn the key to on to make sure it is kicking on and off properly. Let us know.
  • atfdmike,

Thanks for your input. It was the alternator. I took it out and took a jumper to the main connection and was getting 12 volts across the body and the L plug. I took it to an alternator shop they checked one out of the box to compare. That's not suppose to happen. And explains why my battery was being drained. New alternator fixed the whole thing!
  • :blush: Just purchased a 94 trooper at a steal "almost free" I love it. I got the tranny rebuilt but I don't know where to start with any other maintenance since no service record were left in the suv.It has 190000 and a recent oil change sticker. Only problems I noticed = driver and rear locks won't open with key and leaky power steering. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • I have a 87 Trooper II, 2.3L Gas. 269,000 miles.
    My instrument panel (oil, temp, and gas gauge)doesn't read anything. "E" on gas when the tank is full, no temp reading and no oil pressure. The panel is getting electricity and the gauges check out ok. Truck runs fine for it's age and miles.
    Where can I get a decent manual that goes into detail? Is there an online source? Anyone got any ideas?
    Thanks for your help.

John
    Hi, the best advice I have seen if you don't want to search this and similar forums is ebay, where manuals can be had fairly cheaply. Some ebay sites also offer the repair and parts list for your vehicle (often a copied series of pages). Online, the most complete I have seen is Alldata.com, but they are a subscription service. Alldata has the electrical diagrams and manuals for any vehicle sold in the United States. Good luck
    Hi, Congrats on the 94 Trooper. I have the same year myself and have really enjoyed it. I was in the same position as you when I bought it, but I changed all the fluids, went to Mobil 1 in the engine and Amsoil Trans fluid for the auto trans. I also changed the front and rear differentials to synthetic Mobil 1 Light Truck Fluid, and the Power Steering fluid changed to regular Dexron II trans fluid per factor spec. The Transfer case uses regular 30 W motor oil. One thing you don't mention is the condition of the timing belt. Our year belt was meant to be changed every 60,000 miles. The engine, SOHC or DOHC, to the best of my knowledge, is an "interference" engine, which means if the timing belt breaks, catastrophic damage to the engine could result. On a used vehicle with no history you will have to decide when or how far you want to risk driving it without knowing the condition of the belt.
    My PS is leaky but not so bad that I want to change it yet. As for the door locks, do you mean that the key won't open the door at all, or that when you use the key the drivers door will unlock but not the rest of the power lock doors in the Trupr. The rear door is also keyed and has power locks, does it work? Perhaps this forum can supply more help once we know the particulars of the problem. Good Luck.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,012
    Online, the most complete I have seen is Alldata.com, but they are a subscription service

Some public libraries (Seattle for instance) subscribe to Alldata, so check with your local reference librarian too.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• atfdmike,
    Thanks. I'm tracking down each sensor, now. Temp gauge is up and working. Now to find the gas and oil sensors.l
    Thanks for the Alldata intel.
  • ;) Thanks for the great advice. To clear up the door lock issue - i mean that the key won't turn the lock on the drivers side or the rear door. When i use the key & turn the passenger side lock all locks open but the passenger side rear and the rear door. The drivers side rear is stuck in child lock mode but- no big- my daughter sits there. I don't know how to judge the condition of the timing belt. The engine doesn't tick though. i looked inside of the window and there is a recent oil change reminder that hasn't expired yet.
    I would try using a light lubricant or specialty lock lubricant available at the hardware or auto parts store to try and loosen the lock mechanism (tumblers?) first. After lubricating, gently work the key back and forth to see if it frees up. It is not uncommon for the rear door to freeze due to dirt, etc; that circulate back there.
    If lubricant and patience does not work, then the inner door panel can be removed to see if there is something else physically keeping the lock from turning, such as a rod, frozen latch lever, or frozen power door lock module.

The timing belt is very important. There is no easy way to check it short of removing the timing belt covers to look at it. If you decide to do that, you may as well plan on changing the belt and any other parts that may look worn, as removing the cover is a lot of work. I guess you will have to use your best judgement on what will work for you. IS there a dealer ID anywhere on the trupr that you might call to find a service history using the VIN, or a former owner to contact? Good luck.
  • rxtrxt Posts: 1
    My accelerator pedal's cover keeps falling off
    any ideas where i can get a replacement
  • my fuel indicator never goes above 1/2 or below 1/4. Is this very costly to fix?

Thanks for the help.