Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    The Tranny in these vehicles is a venerable GM auto-matic Trans. They've been using em since at least the mid to late 80's. Here is a link to the GM page for our trannys.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/transmissions/index.htm

I don't know of any widespread problems with the tranny's.

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    Mike, The window sticker for my 1999 Trooper says that the
    Transmission was made in France. Do you think the French
    versions are GM too?
    Yep, if you look on that page, ALL the 4L30 transmissions are made in Strasbourg, France for GM. It's the same transmission that is in the Holden Commodore, Caddy Catera, and the BMW Z3 Roadster. GM has a reputation for one of the strongest AT out there.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I've heard several knowledgeable mechanical folks on the ITOG board substantiate Mike's claims that the GM 4L-30 transmission is very durable, reliable, and long-lasting. I'm not expecting to have any problems with mine, and I plan to put 200k miles or more on my truck. I'm at 39,000 miles right now.
  • nyxxnyxx Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I have a question. In October I bought a used 95 Isuzu Rodeo from a dealer. It was love at first sight. I'd been looking for 8 months to find an SUV with a stick shift and no airbag. I own an 85 Honda Accord that has 140,000 miles on it and it still has a nice, tight, shift pattern. The Isuzu was really lazy in comparison. Sometimes I'd find myself in 5th gear instead of 3rd, or trying to grind my way into 2nd instead of 4th....Needless to say, I didn't like that. A couple of weeks ago, the Isuzu got totaled by a red-light runner. Now, I am looking for an SUV again.....I had been told by the dealer that the loose shift pattern in the Isuzu is normal.... Is it, or was the mechanic too busy to fix it? I would like to get an Isuzu again, but don't want to deal with that horrible traveling gearshift again.
    I think that what is happening is that the snow is somehow getting into or around the TOD actuator and then freezing up causing the "error 27, moisture error" That would explain how you could drive through water and not have this problem. Only when it gets frozen does it seem to cause this problem.

-mike
  • Make sure you don't have your AC on recirculate. That would cause the warm moist air inside the truck to stay in, making the defrost less effective. Also, make sure the AC is ON. The AC, even when hot, dries the air out, helping reduce moisture.

I've found my windows fogging up, and sure enough the recirc is on. Let me know if this helps.

Andy
    How close are the Honda passport and the Isuzu rodeo? Will the same problems show up on both of them? Do they share the same engine, tranny, etc. or just the frame and body?
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    My defroster seems to leave a patch of ice right in my line of sight. This is unrelated to recirc/fresh setting, it just doesn't seem to get the heat to that area of the windshield. I believe a minor adjustment in the defroster vent airflow direction might cure the problem...I am tempted to stick some cardboard or plastic sheeting into the vents to try and redirect the flow, but haven't tried it yet.
    The only thing that honda does on a passport is put the Honda Logos. Everything else is 100% identical to their sister Rodeo.

-mike
    As Mike (paisan) said, the Rodeo and Passport are the same. Different trim levels (Rodeo has LS, LSE, etc. while Passport uses EX, etc.) and I think slightly different option packages but that's about it.

The Rodeo and Passport are built by Isuzu in the USA, and I don't mean to badmouth the Rodeo but its reliability/quality does not seem to be very high. The Trooper seems to have outstanding reliability/build quality, but it's made at a different plant (in Japan) than the Rodeo/Passport. It seems strange that Honda would be willing to risk its reputation for quality vehicles by badging a Rodeo as a Passport, but Honda has had some downturns in the quality of its own vehicles in the last few years anyway (e.g. Odyssey).

And paisan, I know your Rodeo was rock solid but I'm just speaking in general ;)
    I think the pre-98s were far more reliable (maybe it was cause they had about 10 years to perfect it?) The 98s were bad, the 99s a little better, and so far I've heard good things about 00 and 01. Don't forget the Trooper has been almost the same design since '92.

The passport also gets less warranty, no roof rack, and a higher price.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I have heard that the Rodeo is pretty much the same as the Chevy S-10? If so it gives some insight as to why the Rodeo has been problematic in some cases.
    The rodeo is in no way related to an S10. The HOMBRE was a re-badge s-10. The new S-10 will actually be a re-badge isuzu pickup in 2003 IIRC.

-mike
  • I have a 2000 Rodeo with a 5-speed, and it compares favorably (smooth and relatively short throws) to other vehicles I have such as a 325i and Honda CR-V. One of the reasons I chose the Rodeo is that it's one of the few SUV's available with a V-6 and 5-speed. Go test drive one, and see what you think.
    Paisan is right. The Passport generally costs more and has a shorter warranty than the Rodeo. Honda I believe is 3 years / 36k miles bumper-to-bumper with no further powertrain coverage. Before the new 10 yr/120k mile warranty, Isuzu offered 3 yrs / 50k miles bumper-to-bumper and 5 yr/60k mile powertrain.
  • I asked a Honda salesman about the difference between the two and was told that there's nothing different (except of course the logos). The difference lies on the assembly dates, Rodeos on mondays and fridays, Passports on the middles of the week. Hope that helps.

By the way, I bougth a Passport.
    Those of you with our Honda/Acura partners, we still accept you guys as our own so don't feel slighted! :)

-mike
    Thanks for the info. Do you know anything on the older models? I cannot afford a new rodeo right now but we need another vehicle and I prefer a manual.
  • Greetings - I am looking at buying a 96 Trooper S (auto, 4x4), with 51k miles. I have bad car juju and so am tempted to get an extended warranty. My credit union will sell be 3yrs/36k miles for $875. Any opinions on the value here. Thanks a bunch.
  • Well, I'm taking my Trooper in today for it's first oil change at 5400 mi. Wanted to get in by 5000 but the weather prevented it and besides, I'm one of those guys who don't think that a few extra miles on an oil change is a big deal.

Unfortunately, because of weather, they don't have the "recall kit" in stock and can't do my fuel line mod. I'll have to bring it back next week.

I don't understand why if this is such a big deal why Isuzu doesn't oversupply the dealers with kits so this won't be a problem. I know this will cost them a bit more money but it's their fault we have to get this done anyway.

Next week I'll leave it with them and get the recall work done as well as have them check the intermittent horn operation, the front wheel alignment (steering wheel is a little crooked)and the rear tailgate adjustment.
    Especially since there are so few Troopers out there, it wouldn't seem unrealistic for Isuzu to stock each dealer with a few kits to make sure customers don't make multiple trips for an important safety issue.
    I've heard from a few Big 3 employees that, years ago, the middle of the week (i.e. Wednesday) was a WAY more preferable time to have your vehicle assembled than the beginning or end of the week. I don't know if this still holds true and, if so, which plants and brands it applies to, but it seems logical: line workers are just getting the cobwebs out of their heads on Monday, and by Friday they are not paying close attention because they're ready to leave for the weekend. But during the middle of the week they are generally doing their best work. I've still heard plenty of scary stories about how poor a job is done when vehicles are being assembled, regardless of day. Things like person x has a goal/requirement of putting part y on the vehicle 75% of the time, etc.
  • Carol,

I'd stay away from a 98 Rodeo (as referenced by paisan in post #43). They seem to have more than their share of problems. My suggestion is to try and find a '97 with a 5-speed, or an even older 4-Runner with a 5-speed. I recently drove a 1994 4-Runner with over 100k miles, and it felt solid; the owner reported no problems with it either. Just my .02. Good luck!!
  • I am going through an oil consumption test with our dealer. They say that using (burning?) up to 1 quart per 1000 miles is acceptable. Does this seem correct to you all? I have had many cars and never burned oil like this. I would appreciate your advice.
    I have a similar problem. I started to do an oil test with my first dealer, but after numerous problems with the dealer's service dept, started going to a different dealer. I have to check my oil today, cause I drove about 700 miles since I went to synthetic and I think it's down almost a quart already. But I didn't check it on flat ground so I'm not gonna hammer the vehicle yet. If it is in fact down a quart already I'm going back to the dealer where I had the oil change last thurs and scream bloody murder cause synthetic is like $5/quart or more.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Most manufacturers, including Isuzu, say up to 1 quart per 1,000 miles is "acceptable" consumption. Personally, that kind of consumption would annoy me.

My Trooper doesn't burn hardly any oil in 5,000 miles, maybe 1/4 quart, using Mobil 1 5W30. I guess you just have to chalk it up to manufacturing variances.
  • Today I took my Trooper in for its first oil change. I know that's a relatively minor service, but I did get a good feeling overall from Superior Cadillac/Isuzu/Pontiac/Daewoo (what a mouthfull..LOL!)

Got me right in a little after 8 when I got there and out a little over a half-hour later. Very courteous service people as well!

I'm taking it back next week when they will (hopefully) have the parts for the recall. At that time, I will also have the off-center steering wheel and the intermittent horn operation checked.

BTW, I thought I had a rattle from the rear doors but they checked out OK. The service tech pointed out that on really rough roads the rear wiper sometimes vibrates against the back glass and he's probably right. He said that they don't have a "rest" for the wiper as some cars do because the wiper arm is so close to the spare tire case. Both of these points make sense to me and it happens so seldom that I can live with it just fine.

-Dave
    Today I looked at a 95 toyota SR5, 5-speed, 4WD, 4-runner, $15,000 private sale. It is beautiful. The guy was very meticulous in taking care of it, he's added about $2,000 worth of mods to it...stuff like air-lifter shocks, towing package, rosewood trim on the dash, etc. I really liked the way it handled and looked. My husband has heard that they have a lousy saftey record in car crashes, but I have heard otherwise. Do you know anything about that? I thought all SUV's were one of the safer vehicles in crashes.
    I think suvs in general are safer because they have a full frame, and are heavier. However, they are likely to take on more damage and have more costly repairs. I know the Trooper got hammered for it's 5mph crash repairs. But someone on this board I forget who, had a t-bone accident @ 40mph with a caddy and came out un-scathed. So it depends if you are looking at real world v. controlled lab tests.

-mike