Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I don't see how I could have been changing the AT fluid. I was able to drain only about 2 quarts of fluid, which is in line with the stated TOD fluid capacity. The AT fluid capacity is around 9 quarts and even though a typical drain won't get much more than half that, that would still be way more than 2 quarts.
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    maybe the '98 is somehow different in terms of the plugs or ??
    Yes, I guess that's possible. I need to take a look underneath my Trooper soon to remind myself what things looks like.
  • emiuraemiura Posts: 59
    Just completed 30K maintenance on my '99 Perf. Pkg Trooper. Only problem that the technician found was leak from transmission drain plug. According to him, this is a design problem with the washer, and he has seen this with other Troopers. He had put a Honda washer for a fix and recommended me to take it to Isuzu dealer for powertrain warranty repair. Isuzu would proabably put the original washer (poor design, according to him), but complaint/repair would be on the record if something major would happen to the powertrain later on. He works on Isuzu corporate team car, and he is very knowledgeable about Isuzu SUV's, especially performance mods.

Asked about Axiom vs. Trooper engine. He said besides the software, intake and exhaust area were modifed (increased?) to boost HP, but Isuzu is not disclosing details. I'm not very much into technical stuff, so that's all I understood.

If anyone is interested in his shop located in Fountain Valley, CA, his site address is:

www.isuzusuv.com

...Eiji...
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    Insurance for the trooper is reasonable considering it does really poor in the 5 mph crash tests. Our 4 crash total (front, back, corner, etc.) was over 11k in repairs. Each crash produced approx. $2800 in body damage. These trucks run great, last a long time, and are fun to drive; but God help us should we get tapped by almost anything. I hope none of us has to find out any time soon. Cheers.
    Vehicles have numbers assigned (called "symbols")for insurance premium rating. In addition to this number, "sports" or "high performance" rating may be added. This rating is model specific, i.e. LX can be more expensive than DX, 4WD is more than 2WD, 6 cylinder is more than 4 cylinder, etc. I'm guessing that Trooper's favorable insurance premium is due to the fact that Trooper was rated as one model for a while. (Even with Perf or LUX package, there was no class distinction so they were rated the same as base model.) But this means that this is all going to change! Another reason maybe is these vehicle rating agencies do not update the "symbol" unless there is a major model change. Trooper had not had one for a long time, therefore, it may have dragged old favorable "symbol" for a long time. If you are car shopping, I would suggest to call your agent for a quote if you are debating which vehicle to buy and it is down to insurance premium issues. Hope this helps.
  • serranoserrano Posts: 107
    I know that others on this forum have commented on the so-called "stainless steel exhaust" on the '99 Troopers that is not very stainless at all. I have such a system. Have others on this board had any luck in having the system replaced with a truly stainless system? Or am I wasting my breath in complaining to the dealer?

Tom
    Your wasting your breadth. There are multiple grades of stainless steel. Most of them show some rust after awhile. Good stainless steel has no magnetic properties.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I complained, to no avail. I believe the muffler itself is true stainless, but the tailpipe is not. Mine has slight rust on the tailpipe, but nothing damaging. I'm planning on hitting the tailpipe with black stove-grade (heat resistant) spray paint so that the rust doesn't show up.

-mike
    A big factor in insurance at least for the fire-theft portion is the # of stolen vehicles, and the market for used parts. Since they only sell 10-15K units of the Trooper a year, there are very few of these trucks on the road, and therefore are not a big target for spare parts like the Honda Accord, Toyota Camary, and a few years back the Oldsmobile Cutals supreme, Monte Carlo, and Buick Regal/Grand National. I'm sure the AWD and 4 wheel anti-lock + 4wheel disc brakes also help for collision. My insurance actually went down from my '97 Rodeo to my '00 Trooper.

-mike
    emiura, you're right that Trooper's one-model availability helped to keep the insurance premiums lower than they should have been. For at least a couple years, all Troopers were "S" models. The Performance Package and Luxury Package didn't have their own model or trim level designation according to Isuzu, and the insurance companies weren't smart enough to realize this. I got quotes from my agent on S models and also on the newer (2000 etc.) LS and Limited models, and there was a difference in the insurance premiums between these models. However, all 1998 Troopers were considered "S" models, so a stripped-down Trooper cost the same to insure as one with the Luxury Package.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Posts: 377
    I just made a couple hundred mile trip this weekend in my 97' Trooper and checked my mileage. Its the first long trip since getting my 50/50 dino and synthetic oil mix installed. The weather was excellent, dry about 65 degrees, no wet spots on the pavement. I drove about 68-70 mph for the most part. Just a couple stops along the way and very little in town traffic. The RPM meter showed about 2800-2900 most of the time. The mileage came out at 20.013 mpg. I was impressed!

I also recently tried my varied "grade" of fuel test. A tank of 91 octane to compare to the usual 87 octane I use. There was no improvement in mileage during this tank of fuel. Supports what you read about pouring money down the tank on higher octane fuel, unless of course, you're getting "pinging" with the lower octane.
    bsmart
    You guys that change your own oil, do you also grease joints or take it to service for that?
  • centralcentral Posts: 51
    On my 1999 Trooper I could only find 3 existing fitting locations, all on the driveshafts (I forget now whether it is 2 on the front and 1 on the rear shaft or the other way around). I also couldn't find any sites that had plugs awaiting the installation of zerks. When I first got the vehicle I posted on the ITOG and outdoorwire sites and got feedback that 3 fittings is the total to ever be greased.

Therefore to finally answer your question, I do also grease these fittings every 3rd oil change.
    central, thanks for the info.
    I don't do this myself yet, but probably need to start doing it. I've told the dealer to do it once or twice. Who knows whether they actually did...
    Sean, "Cooked" his engine when we were 4x4ing in the Pine barrens (see pics on http://isuzu-suvs.com)

Isuzu Japan it is rumored that they will be converting all thier plants in japan over to med duty and bus assembly. The 2003 Trooper *may* and I stress *may* be produced in IN where they make the rodeo and Axiom now.

-mike

There is a webpage with pictures of grease point locations. I don't do it myself, so I haven't confirmed it, so please use it as reference:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~uw7a-mrn/top/bighorn/fig6/fig805.htm

Translation for each pic:

1. On universal joint between rear differential and drive shaft.

2. Between rear shaft and transfer.

3. On universal joint between transfer and front shaft.

4. Between front shaft and differential.

...Eiji...

emiura, good info on the grease points. thanks.
  • hutch66hutch66 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1998 isuzu trooper, and all of a sudden I seem to be having trouble starting the engine. the problem usually happens after I've been driving for awhile. when I go back to start the engine it will just turn over for a few seconds before it fires up. is this a common problem. if anyone can help please post some suggestions.