Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I went looking for Mobil 1 on the internet, but did not find anyone who offered it. There are some super-premium brands you can get over the internet, like Amzoil, Red Line, Purple something-or-other...
    Turned out to be the intake manifold gasket, of all things. So, they got it done in a more reasonable 2 1/2 days instead of 2 weeks like they said it might be...I suppose I should be grateful, but I feel that they only did what they SHOULD have done in the first place.

I will say that they were good about calling me each day to update me on the repair status...
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I get scared when a dealer can't find a problem or says "well we tried this, but we're not sure if that's what the problem was"

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I had forgotten about those super-premium brands. I think the main three are Amsoil, Royal Purple, and Red Line. I'm not interested in spending $5-7 per quart on oil, though!
  • I have a 94 Trooper-S that just got out of the shop for a leaky (oil) head gasket. 2 months after the Head Gaskets where replaced another oil leak and this time it is due to a melted valve cover gasket. The exhast system is very hot and that appears to be what melted the gasket. The mechanic (Spradly-Barr Isuzu Ft. Collins CO) said the Catalytic Converter is blocked but I took to my muffler shop and they said its not blocked (no charge for the back pressure check). It's running fine and the emissions look good but the glowing Catylitic converter and leaky valve cover are a big problem. Any ideas?
  • cwmosercwmoser Posts: 227
    A little maintenance reminder - Rotate those tires. SUV tires are very suspectable to forming a pattern that will cause a loud road noise if they are not routinely rotated. My two front ones did when I waited until 12,000 miles to rotate them. Then when I rotated the 2 front tires to the back, the noise was assentuated I guess because of the open cargo area. It's a lot better now at 18,000 miles and time for me to rotate them again.
    That usually means your car is clogged up and needs to be replaced. Just what I've heard from people over the past 20 years that Cats have been installed.

-mike
  • gls2gls2 Posts: 10
    I have a '98 rodeo ls 4 wheel drive loaded!
    I bought it in Sept of '97. I have had it in the shop at least 20 times. All but one of the recalls have applied. In the ceiling (drivers side, by the moon roof) rattles so loud. It's been in the shop 7 times. Also have a thud when you take-off from a stop that it feels like someone just tapped you from behind (if someone did I wouldn't know it) it's been in the shop 10 times.
    After a year and a half of taking it in to be fixed, the local dealer close to my home stopped servicing Isuzu's, thank god! I had to take it to a dealer about 45 minutes from my house, they fixed a problem with the rattle in the roof, they said the problem was that the tires had been way over inflated(by the dealer!) since then, no major problems. Until now, I leave my windows down at night while it's in the garage, and in the morning when I go to roll them up,they sometimes make a thudding sound. Is this normal for a 3 year old truck?
    can also mean that the engine is running rich and the excess fuel is being burned in the converter. How is your mileage?
  • Thanks for the advice sdc2 and Paisan. I was relaying info given from the mechanic to my wife with one mistake. It was the exhaust manifold that was glowing, not the Cat. This sounds like a rich fuel problem. The mileage has dropped but I thought this was due to the Colorado oxygenated fuel mixture shift that occurs in Nov/Dec. I am also worried that there may be a coolent blockage due to the head gasket replacement. Yikes, I don't trust the mechanic!
  • edm85edm85 Posts: 5
    Is there anything the dealer can do to reduce the wind noise. It is so loud driving on the expressway that I cannot listen to the radio.
    It doesn't seem to be coming from one area and I don't think it is from a window or door leak.
    Anyone out there having the same problem?

Ed
  • deimosdeimos Posts: 57
    Well we have an '99 S equiped with some accessories that came with the LS model, as part of the Canadian Ltd package: running boards, brush guard, hood bug deflector( I presume that the tail garnishes don't make too much noise)...

If you add the factory roof rack and the 4 windows "rain and wind deflectors" you can imagine that we get some noise...:)

But never so loud as not to be able to listen to the radio(unless the windows are opened) even at 140 km/h.... As a matter of fact, I'd say that 4WD Hi (at 80-90 km/h) makes much more noise then all of the above(again as long as the windows are closed)...
    Could it be door seals? Also try moving around the cross bars on the roof. Could be tires?

Not sure what else it could be.

-mike
  • I have a 97 Rodeo, and I occasionally get wind noise from the driver's side door. The weird thing is that it is occassional, and its never the same situations. Sometimes its hot, sometimes cold, sometimes wet, sometimes not. It drives me nuts!
    I had a '97 Rodeo and if it wasn't a lease, I would have definitely gone out and bought exrta door sealing material. My doors on that all made a lot of wind noise as soon as you hit 65mph. It was increased by cross winds. Just go to a Pep Boys or similar and buy some door sealing material and add it over the stock stuff with silicone or epoxy and it should clear up your problems.

-mike
  • The glowing exhaust manifold was due to a coolant blockage probably. The mechanic cleared it and it seems to be staying cool (not glowing). I just hope there was no permanent engine damage. Thanks.
    Steve good to hear it wasn't anything serious. Keep us posted!

-mike
  • Mike, did you ever get your second recall done. They finally got the part(s) for mine but I haven't had the time to take it in. They're still telling me it will take four hours! That seems excessive. If you've had your mod done, how long did it take. Anyone else? Time for dealer to do second recall mod? I don't really mind it taking awhile, it's just that I have a couple of other things (steering wheel not straight, intermittent horn operation) that I want them to get to and don't want to wind up leaving my truck overnight.
  • gls2gls2 Posts: 10
    I also had some wind noise. The dealer told me that if I adjusted my roof rack bar that would take care of it.
    Does TOD work in reverse? How about the limited-slip diff?