Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• Mike,
    I am just north of Atlanta. Bought the truck at Carmax and think I did O.K.- $19,995 - looked right on Edmunds.com anyway. Already have the other site bookmarked and I lurk daily on Trail Talk.
  • catmanducatmandu Posts: 53
    Im also looking for a bug guard for our 01 S. Would appreciate any info on your research .
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    I can't believe I didn't think of trying that! What a good idea. I'll check it out. Main thought is, where to hook it to the vehicle? I'll see if I can figure something out.
  • I'd be interested in alternate bug shields to the Isuzu brand for my '99 Trooper. The bugs get enormous down here and it's a constant pain to keep them from eating thru front hood paint. From all I've seen and heard, the Isuzu bug shield is thin, flimsy, and noisy although it looks pretty good.
  • Mike,
    I am just north of Atlanta. Bought the truck at Carmax and think I did O.K.- $19,995 - looked right on Edmunds.com anyway. Already have the other site bookmarked and I lurk daily on Trail Talk.
  • cd1000cd1000 Posts: 16
    I just bought a Lund hood shield for my 2001 for $42 plus shipping from truckaddons.com It is the screw on variety and is called the x-terminator. A couple of other places advertised similar prices but had none in stock. I bought my hidden hitch from them with no problems. Part # is 78080 Chris
  • radman6radman6 Posts: 81
    When my factory bug deflector broke I replaced it with a Lund Interecptor. It looks good and seems to work fine. It stands off the hood a couple inches so you can wash / wax behind it. It comes with a lifetime warranty against breakage. Lund also has another model up from the one I got for a little more money. If you use the search words Lund Interceptor in your search page you'll get lots of hits. I got mine from Central 4 Wheel Drive for under $60.00. I think J.C. Whitney has them too.
  • randers3randers3 Posts: 19
    I will second the Lund Interceptor as a great bug guard. Had the OEM Isuzu deflector, which cause me so much aggravation, I just pitch it in the junk. The Lund stands out from the hood and does a nice job of deflecting wind and bugs over the windshield. Got mine at Carparts.com for $49.95.
    Mounts in existing holes for the OEM unit. Took 3 minutes to install.
  • ctnewtonctnewton Posts: 9
    Getting to the front horns is pretty straightforward. I took the front grille off.
    There is a row of clever plastic fsteners along the top, and one in the middle. There are also two phillips screws.
    Use a screwdriver to pop the tabs of the plastic fasteners so that they align with the slot. You'll know what I mean when you see it. Once you pop all the fasteners and remove the two screws, the grille comes right off.

One horn is clearly visible, while the other is tucked to the right side.

Reassembly requires you to pull the 'shanks' of the fasteners out from the car, and install them on the grille. Then just push the grille back into place and install the two screws.

Removing the grille provides excellent access to install a transmission oil cooler. I'll be doing this soon and will report.

Pete
    www.suvtech.com/isuzu_trooper.htm
    www.suvtech.com/discus
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/trooper/horn-nudge.html for pics of the horns I installed in addition to the stock horns. I wired the hot lead of the relay to the horn relay under the hood and so now both sets are used when you hit the horn button. I should have a writeup soon for this.

-mike

• I bought a Bug guard on Monday and installed it in about 15 mins. Monday night. I bought it at the local parts store (Advanced Auto Parts) for 29.99. I think they screwed up on the price because everywhere else I looked the Bug Deflector II was 39.99 or more.
  • I have also been reading everybody's posts for the last few months... thanks for the info. I have a 1999 Trooper I OD that I bought new in Atlanta. last summer in August. I guess Isuzu had a few 1999's in their inventory somewhere. It only had 40 miles on it! So far I have installed the following:
    - Alpine 6 ad changer: kept factory head unit to avoid theft, still sounds pretty good (see next)
    - Pol speakers front and rear: ordered from Crutch field, no problems & easy to swap out with Crutch field's wiring harness
    - I&N drop-in air filter: definitely worth it. In economy mode, my trooper has a lot more pep
    - INSTALLED TODAY: Draw Tie Class III hitch

Future Projects: window tinting, bug shield, brush bar with Hell's, leather seat covers(not sure yet)

I've put 16000 miles on since I got the truck in Aug'00. Runs great!
  • ilitilit Posts: 71
    Something for you guys who want to increase Trooper power by re-tuning the computer chip: http://www.hypertech-inc.com/
  • hypertech is located here in Memphis but I don't believe they offer chips for Isuzu's. Their market is the big 3. Let me know if you know otherwise. I think "jetperformance" does make chiips for Isuzu's at around $350 but I haven't heard anything about them.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    I want to add an in dash CD changer. I don't want to have to replace the OEM head unit? Anyone have any ideas? I am open to buying thr factory unit, but it is expensive from Isuzu. I am looking to get better than the OEM, but anyway.
    Wait for someone on here to sell their OEM CD changer? I'm sure it won't be long before someone on here upgrades and wants to sell you their old one.

-mike
  • I wanted to do the same but heard of occasional problems with CD's skipping. Here's what I did instead...installed an Alpine 6 CD changer(very slim profile) vertically in the glove box, where it is out of sight and I can lock it. Cost for unit was only $250. Alpine is known for high quality and this unit was highly recommended by dealer. Not had a single problem with and I don't worry as much about theft.HTH
    People still steal radios? Here in NYC they just take the whole car! :0

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    The factory DELCO head unit with cassette was no loss to me. I don't use cassette. The Alpine has a great look in the trooper--looks like factory, although its not a CD changer that I have. The spot for the factory CD changer works great for CDs in cover slips. The Alpine face comes off and has a storage box, if you are in a questionable area in terms of theft.
  • crunchycrunchy Posts: 26
    I just got a replacement for my defective original CD changer, and would be willing to sell it. It's brand new from the factory and has never been installed in my truck (or tested, for that matter). I've also got the factory head unit if anyone's interested. I don't know how much these things cost from Isuzu, but I'll give you a good deal.

Sue
  • Sue I am interested. How much do you want for it? Send me an e-mail. chapla.t@mellon.com
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Posts: 70
    I just spoke with a U-Haul dealer in Houston about installing a Class III hitch for my 2001 Rodeo with the spare tire mounted underneath. They are having a special - $119.95 installed. I think that is a very good price! I believe that their supplier is Hidden Hitch.
  • centralcentral Posts: 51
    Now that you have had it on a while, do you have any further feedback? For example, does it tend to rattle at the receiver? Does the width still seem correct or do you wish you had a slightly wider unit? What about the mounting height? Looking at the pictures it almost seems like it is slightly too low so it keeps cars from going low into the bumper rather than stopping other SUVS from going high into the spare. Then again pictures can be somewhat deceiving.
    It's mostly to stop cars from hitting the tire/bumper. The top of the bar is parralell with the step notch of the rear bumper so you can stand on it and bridge the gap. No rattling at all in the reciever. I believ GPM order a 60" wide bar that sticks out a little further than mine. Mine is only 54" wide. If an excursion wants to push your tire, there is just about nothing that's gonna stop him.

I can't complain though for $129 it's a good value. If I were ordering again I'd go with the 60" one probably. Other than that, it's great. Took it to the car wash and the paint is better than the paint on my car!

:)

-mike
    Matt is making up the 60" at 11" from the pin hole to the outside of the bar this week--that should be ~7 inches from the back of the bumper to the outside of the bar. I have the hidden hitch on my trooper. The bar should provide great protection. I'll let you know how it does.
  • centralcentral Posts: 51
    At one point I believe you asked if the WAG unit would work with a hitch. As
    we are now the proud owners of a second Trooper, with a previously installed a
    hitch, I now have your answer. No, at least the hitch on our 2nd Trooper uses
    the same mounting points as the WAG on our first Trooper.

Also, for what it is worth, did you give any thought to having your revised guard
    "wrap" around the sides for maybe 1' or so? This side area always seems to
    collect parking lot dents on our cars.

In addition, my other wild idea is to have a custom adapter so that the guard
    could be raised when off roading. As it is the guard would seem likely to hang up
    on many a drop off. Granted the guard could be removed off road but then the
    advantage of having a rear guard would be lost . The adapter would have a male
    piece on the bottom to plug into the hitch. The top would be a standard female
    hitch receiver with the height set to just below the spare. When you want to go
    off roading you would unplug the guard. You would then plug in the adapter. Next
    you would just plug the bumper guard into the newer, higher location.
    Good to know on the waag. I also thought about wrap arounds. A guy clipped my corner in a parking lot but came from behind. I'm pretty sure at 60 " and 7 inches out the bar would have got him and made him turn away.

Matt at independent 4x will also do a custom bumper guard somehow mounted to the truck--he told me. I'm not sure how--or whether he just figures he would weld it on. I like hitch guard idea though.

The adapter (basically a receiver extension elbowed up) would work fine. I'm sure matt can put that together no problem.

Anyone want to mount lights on it?--they could plug right in at the harness.
    Yeah my and matt's original idea is that you would not use it when off-roading, since anything coming out of the hitch receiver is going to hang you up. I though about mounting extra lights on it and plugging into the wiring of the hitch harness too. Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Cool thing about matt is that he makes up each bar individually, so the custom things you guys want he can easily adapt for you. WAAG claims that it doesn't interfere with hitchs but who knows. Matt was also telling me about the bolt-on rear bar, he basically said he would engineer it to bolt into the spots where the hitch would have bolted to.

-mike
    Yes, at 7 inches out it could hit at a sharp approach angle but would also protect the tail pipe and the mud flaps from dragging. I was thinking that it could be used as a jacking point offroad. Of course protecting against backing into a tree on a tight forest trail is a big plus. Having the elbow would improve the angle.
  • cd1000cd1000 Posts: 16
    Does anyone know the distance between the factory drilled holes. I am installing a surco safari rack and just put it together. I have not peeled back the rubber strip yet(tomorrow) and was wondering if anyone knew the distance between the holes. Thanks--
This discussion has been closed.