Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• Do you want me to e-mail them to you? I have low res and high res pics. The high res pics are quite large.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    If you don't mind. :)

-mike
  • Can you hook a winch up to that bumper Paisan?
    Yeah the ECB Big-Tube Bar bumper can be setup with a winch slot and mounting bracket. I don't plan on a winch anytime soon, but figure I'll buy the winch version so that when I do get it I will be all set for it. I'm debating now though Silver Ripple or Black Ripple, not sure which would look better. The Black will contrast, but I'd like the silver if it matches with my paint.

-mike
  • I've never understood the craze for these things. The other day I saw a Rodeo with a bull bar on it. The poor Rodeo had nailed something. The top of the bull bar had bent back into the front grille/hood/passenger fender. The damage was pretty bad (while only cosmetic). I could only think that if they hadn't had the bull bar on there that there would be no damage from whatever they nailed.
    Die, what you saw was not a bull bar, most likely. Most likely it was a cheesy US built wannabe bar. You know the ones that are on 90% of the SUVs out there. A true bull bar from ARB, ECB, TJM and a few US makers (Darlington Off-road, Indpenedent4x) will take out things like 6-8" trees w/o even wincing. Also usually a Bull bar is mounted 3-6" from the front end of the vehicle to allow for some shock and re-bound w/o damaging the vehicle. The ARB one that my buddy has on his montero took down a tree when he skidded down a hill in Uwharrie last year no damage to his truck or the bar, probably saved the truck.

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    paison,

How do you want to do this transaction? What Where When is Paragon? If I go will I have to keep one of the CBs to participate?

I kind of agree that CBs still can be useful. I used mounted mobile CB to get rescued years ago on the Olympic penisula in WA when I accidentally parked in waste deep snow with my 1984 Trooper on a back country two track that is barely even a road in summer. The guy in a Jeep CJ and winch that came to help was far enough away that it was a 20 minute drive on the main roads to get to the head of the trail I was on. I was intending to park so I could go fishing in a nice hole on the river (Snohomish River or something like that). The spot I parked on/in was about level with the snow on the trail at the top of the snow, but actually it was a drop off. The 1984 Trooper weighed in around 3000# so it floated on top of the snow so I could still open the door to step out. That's when I discovered it was waste deep. I was eye level to the door handle. Meanwhile I had left the Trooper in gear idling with all four wheels turning so I had to get right back in. That's when the CB came in handy.

We have not used the CBs in a while. I still have to run this deal past my wife. We have been in a clean out the stuff we don't use mode lately. Rarely does she complain about this kind of thing, but she wanted the CBs for when we travel in two cars. Now we have also the FRS radios which are easier ( no cables and no squelch to set so I can hand them to the small kids) to use.

boxtrooper.
    I thought you lived in Pitt and were coming to Paragon on April 6th? If not then drop me an e-mail mike@iace.com and we'll figure out how to complete the transaction.

-mike
  • Paisan i am the person from Pittsburgh who is thinking about going to Paragon. I am still a big question mark right now. Hopefully I will have my mind made up by the weekend.
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    I have an observation on ride quality. I just finally got the front end ride height to where I wanted it, and I was suprised how much the ride improved after the last, relatively minor adjustment via the torsion bars.

With too much rake (front lower than back), my Troop was riding kind of like an unloaded pickup - nose heavy and more of a hobby horse ride. Now, with the front/rear nearly level (just a slight rake), the truck feels happier, more balanced, and the ride has smoothed out noticeably.
  • zutrooperzutrooper Posts: 66
    Do you remember the model# for your rancho 9000s (rear)? I'm about to place an order for my 01 w/ OME. Also, is hotrodoffroad.com still the cheapest? Thanks, Mark P
    IIRC on my webpage in the FAQ section there are the part #s I used for ordering my Rancho 9000s.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

Mike: Thanks, FAQ specs 9215 for rear. Do you know if this is correct for a 2" lift? Mark
  • I do not think the OME springs change the amount of travel. They may lift the rear end up, but the overall travel of the rear suspension should not be affected, so the regularly specified shocks, 9215, should still be the right ones.
    With a lift and improper shocks your downward travel will be limited, but in the case of the OME 2" lift, the 9215 work fine. I've off-roaded mine plenty of times since my lift and shocks and it works out nicely.

-mike
  • just lifting up a vehicle with a different spring does not change the amount of wheel travel though. Shocks don't care what direction they are traveling in, only the speed at which they are traveling and their limits, and since the limits haven't changed, you'll be alright.
    On the rear of the trooper the downward travel WILL be limited by the shocks. The top of the shock mounts to the frame, the bottom to the axle, there is a max amount of distance that the shock can expand, so if you put more than a 2" lift you would need longer shocks because when the axle is in the down-most position it will be further away from the frame than it would be with the stock springs.

-mike
    Thanks for info. If the 9215s work for Mike, I'm sure they'll be fine for my setup. Its not too often that I have tire hanging in the air due to shocks, but I want to get best fit possible. Mark P
    I must respectively disagree with Mike on this one. I would use the same shocks as with standard springs, because the TOTAL wheel travel (up+down) does not change, just the resting (equilibrium) point within the travel due to taller springs. You essentially are just trading downtravel for uptravel, without changing the total travel. And since the shocks are the limiting feature for downtravel, putting longer shocks on puts you in risk of rupturing a brake line if the axle droops too far.

Now if you have a body lift put on, that is a different story. Then, you would definitely need longer shocks to compensate because the upper shock mount will move with the body lift.
  • You change the equilibrium point with new springs, but you are trading upward travel for downward travel, or vise versa. If you move your mounting locations, like a body lift, or new A-arms (not on the rear of a Trooper, just suspension in general), then you will probably have to get new shocks with different amounts of travel.
    I didn't realize that the upper mount was on the body, thought it was on the frame. My point was that for a 2" suspension lift, the stock sized shocks are fine. Anything beyond that and you'd want to have bigger shocks.

-mike
    Mike, you are probably right about the body lift not affecting the upper shock mount. My bad!
  • kpdiikpdii Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Trooper S last weekend and have a couple of questions.

I went to Best Buy and had them install a Rockford Fosgate CD/MP3 player in the truck. Once installed, I got awful radio reception. The installer said this was due to the dual diversity antennas in the rear side glass. He said that we could play with it and get a little better reception, but not as good as stock. I made them take it out and I got a full refund. What has been your experiences with after market stereos.

Also, I have been looking at many of the accessory sites I have seen for Troopers for things like trailer hitches, seat covers, and interior kits. I haven't found a site yet that says it carries parts for my 2002 but they list parts for Troopers through 2001. I didn't think that there was any difference between the 2001 and 2002 Troopers, am I wrong? I need to order a trailer hitch pretty soon so you help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Patton
    Welcome to the few, the proud the trooper owners. Anything 98-2002 will fit 2002. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com especially the vendor section. For a hitch, go for hidden hitch I have one on mine and it's great.

No aftermarket stereo so can't help you out there.

-mike

• I've placed a Kenwood 519 (I think) into my '95 Trooper. I don't have the dual/in-glass antenna though. It could very easily be a problem if each antenna recieves a signal that is slightly different/out-of-phase from the other, you need to interpret it. Perhaps if one of the antennas were to be disconnected, an after-market stereo wouldn't be so bad...but that's just a guess.

Also, I'm not sure how good rockford fosgate is at tuning in radio stations in the first place.
  • I just put a Hidden Hitch class III hitch on my 2000 S model. I bought it from JC Whitney.com for $99 plus another $25 for the Light Adapter. It took me 15 minutes to put it on and another 2 minutes to connect the light adapter. Shipping was $19. I couldn't even come close to these prices in teh local stores.
    "due to the dual diversity antennas" How good is stock radio reception with the dual diversity antennas? It could be that all you need to adapt to a single antenna input is a impedance matched signal combiner. It could also be that the Isuzu radio uses a special noise cancellation circuit with two antenna inputs to get great reception. I am an electrical engineer and the idea of a well designed dual antenna system sounds great to me.
  • I spoke with a mechanical engineering buddy of mine that's into audio today about the dual antennas. He mentioned rabbit ears with TVs (nowadays I think it is more of a loop at Crack Shack). Now I know, as did he, that certain head units get better reception than others do and he claims that Pioneer is usually top of the line in this area. Could an off-the-shelf head unit take the dual inputs, out of phase or whatnot, and get a good signal out of it, or is the best bet to unhook one of the antennas?

So...are you going to design a system for the in-glass Troopers? :-)
    I have the single mast antenna on my 1995 Trooper-S so no dual antennae to play with. Although, I might someday upgrade the mast to something like the one at

http://www.ccrane.com/auto_antennas.asp.

Also check out http://www.ccrane.com/news/whatsinthenews4.8.02.htm
    My (limited) understanding of the diversity antenna system is that a computer chip constantly compares the signals from the two antennas and selects the strongest signal for that given moment. Chances are the Pioneer was not set up to use that system.

Sounds like boxtrooper might have some ideas to make those antennas work with an aftermarket unit. That would be nice because I don't plan on replacing my unit with a factory one if it craps out after I'm out of warranty...
This discussion has been closed.