Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• swampfox28swampfox28 Posts: 17
    Thanks also for this info; I'd forgotten to see if it's included or not.

It's likely one of those things that's not worth paying for (right?), but would be nice to have included if it can be "thrown in"...
  • Thank you all so much for the wonderful information and collaboration on the forum. We just bought our Odyssey and I wanted to summarize my experience.

You should reference http://www.negotiationdynamics.com/Newcar.asp or another similar site for general negotiation guidance. It really helps if you've never been through this before or if you need to brush up.

I specifically followed these strategies:
    -Get as many quotes as you can from your metro area and another metro area
    -Get quotes on several trims. I found price differences that meant the dealer incentive was more than $2500. You can use this to calculate a lower acceptable price.
    -Use the timing to your advantage (May ended perfectly to use end of month as sense of urgency for the dealer)
    -Search for inventory on the trim/color that you want. Don't disclose colors until the last moment with as few dealers as possible. If the dealer doesn't have it, they'll have to get it from another dealer. If you've told the others that you want it they'll hold it thus making it harder for your dealer to get it.
    -Put all costs on the same basis. You'll thank yourself for doing this in a spreadsheet since it will come down to hundreds of dollars in the end. That's a whole payment if you leave this money on the table! They'll try to convince you to since this is a big in relation to their holdback.
    -Present multiple options to the dealer which you would accept, that is they are equivalent. In negotiations this is called MESO (Multiple Equivalent Simultaneous Options). I varied price, trim, closing time frame, and accessories. The idea here is to see what factors means most to the other party. Also add some dog scenarios that are marginally in your favor - you never know if someone will bite.

Ok, so here's what it all boiled down to:

Msg 21448 in this thread gives calc details.

Invoice (minus) Holdback = X
    EX-L RES & NAV- $34,238.79 - $739.10 = X

34238.69-739.10-2500 = 30999.69

Best quote was 29,736 which gives a difference of 1263.69. This includes dest charges.

This meant that Touring trim should be adjusted as well.

TOURING R&N-
    $37,446.70 -$810.10 -$2500 - $1263.69 = $32,872.91

I used these numbers to negotiate and ended up really close. I got some accessories at cost.

I hope this helps out others.
  • lyaolyao Posts: 71
    hi Sarah,

Forgot to mention besides those OTD prices and free options added to the EXL RN, I actually got free lifetime oil changes and 15% off lifetime scheduled maintenance at that particular dealership in MD.

Thanks! :)
  • kayfabe75kayfabe75 Posts: 10
    greetings everyone.

i need help fast. working on ex-l financing with the dealer/finance guy and he claims he can only lower my apr if i buy the extended warranty. i have spotty credit but i have a co-signer which helped a good deal. Can they do this or do they have to offer me that lower APR with or without the extended warranty? thanks.
  • techfutechfu Posts: 6
    lyao,

thats really sounds like a trick to me. I dont have any direct honda experience, but low finance rate should have nothing to do with buying an extended warranty. Yeah, it will surely have a relation with credit score, but you have taken care of it by having a co-signer.

good luck, and post your experience,
    --T
    thanks, will do. before warranty I am looking at 28200 + TTL.
  • dreamgirldreamgirl Posts: 2
    We bought our Odyssey EXL on April 30, for $27K + tax in Boston area. That was the best deal then.

Good luck!
  • tradepartradepar Posts: 4
    I just bought EXL with RES and NAVI for OTD price of 33196 in NJ.
    I did not buy the floor mats from the dealer. Any suggestions on getting better price/quality elsewhere?

Thanks
    Thanks for all the responses...I just got the call back from the dealer (from a director) saying the best they can offer is

$27k + 2 free oil changes

this includes
    -2500 dealer cash
    -dealer hold back

they want to close it today because the end of month is today....what do you guys think...is this the best Im going to get or is it worth waiting.

thanks,
    --T
  • woz2000woz2000 Posts: 2
    If you click on the incentives and rebates on Edmunds, you'll see the $2500 cash to dealer ends 7/6... not sure the dealers are 'lying' or Edmunds is wrong.
    Wow.

Lifetime free oil changes?

That sounds SWEET!
    so, i asked honda financing about the lower rate with the warranty and they said it is at the discretion of the dealer. more confused than ever now.
    Hi kayfabe75,

I don't think you wanna buy the extended warranty from the dealership unless they price match the online pricing $1235 for 8 years/$0 deductible/120K miles.

You'd already solved the problem by having a co-signer. Unless your co-signer isn't good enough for the credit score. So, don't listen to them.

Thanks!
    Do you have the price quotes for OTD on B&W?
    If so, my advise is: try another dealership instead.
    This dealership is B.S.

Don't be confused! Just don't deal with this dealership! Walk away.
    yes, aside from the obvious fact that the dealership wants more money on the deal, i am having a hard time wondering why the warranty would have anything at all to do with the apr which was probably marked up by the dealer anyway.
    The final price Im getting is $26.5k (incl. destination charges) + TTL.

Based on the comparison shopping and various dealer quotes I got this morning, everyone kind of is stuck on $27k, so I feel getting it at $26.5k is a good deal (if not a bargain:)) on this car. Ofcourse Im going to push to get some more options like wheel locks, mud guards.

What do you guys think...hope Im not misstepping
    --T
    Does everyone think the extended warranty is a good idea?

I mean, yes extra protection is great, but it's a lot of money and there ARE things that aren't covered by it.

Not to mention, you still have to pay for scheduled maintence, etc, right?

So what were your reasons to get (or not get) the extended warranty on your Ody (if you bought it new)?

THANKS! :)
  • petepumapetepuma Posts: 5
    Yes, very good question. TMV has the EX-L at about $29.5k in my area. Is the TMV not taking into consideration the $2.5k factory to dealer incentive?

I am also very confused, I was thinking a bit under $29k was a good price for the EX-L.
    i kind of think it's ultimately useless but i've now heard of 5 to 6 honda and toyota dealers who would only furnish the lower rate if you one was to buy the warranty. my friend has an 830 FICO and the dealer only provided the 1.5 point lower rate when he purchased the extended warranty. i suppose to be absurdist it makes sense if you're financing for 60+ months given that if you don;t have to come up with 1, 2 or 3k for a repair, you're less likely to default on your loan. just playing devil's advocate.
    with ttl + fees and warranty i am coming out to 31675.