Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    redsox8redsox8 Member Posts: 2
    Where are you dj5? Where did you get the financing from?
  • Options
    corykovac1corykovac1 Member Posts: 2
    I have negotiated a price of $37,495 for a 2001 honda odyssey ex (includes all fees and taxes). Did anyone get a better price?
  • Options
    karolinakarolina Member Posts: 1
    Ordered SS Ody EX for 26840 (incl. delivery) from Morristown Honda (Tennessee). Only one willing to sell at MSRP in Knoxville area. dj5 negotiated a great deal - where are you??
  • Options
    corykovac1corykovac1 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    dj5dj5 Member Posts: 42
    For those interested in my loan rate of 6.82% for 60 months. I got that rate through www.eloan.com.
    Received the paperwork today and it is through Bank of America.

I live in Atlanta Georgia and contacted every dealer in GA, NC, SC, TN, KY, and MS. I had a couple of dealers in Kentucky that offered to sell below MSRP with no additional dealer add ons.
  • Options
    milliedmillied Member Posts: 1
    Hello. New here and you all sound knowledgable so I thought I'd ask. Our Honda repairman is selling his own '00 Ody EX, with 14K miles on it for payoff. I believe the price will be $23500. How does that sound? He has taken great care of it in the year he has driven it, but is now buying himself a new Acura SUV. Any comments or advice appreciated.
  • Options
    kutekute Member Posts: 5
    I am in Atlanta area as well. The best deal found for a SS EX was 26,500. Which dealer are you dealing with? I would love to get the deal that you got! You can write to me at bkute@hotmail.com
  • Options
    mfridaymfriday Member Posts: 4
    After doing considerable interned research I finally test drove a 2001 Odyssey LX. While I was very pleased with the overall package, I had the distinct impression that the transmission slipped while I was accelerating up a small overpass. The salesman claimed to not have noticed the problem. The friend with me, however, also noticed the transmission slip. I previously bought a Monte Carol with transmission problems so may be overly sensitive to this situation.

Has anyone else noticed possible transmission problems with their new 2001 Honda Odyssey LX? Obviously I did not purchase this particular car. It was sold to another customer within a few hours of my test drive!
  • Options
    fast93serfast93ser Member Posts: 11
    I put a $500 deposit down on a GG '01 EX Friday and picked up my van today (Saturday). One day wait for delivery and $26140. I'm a happy boy. :)

David McDavid Honda ... talk to Marcus Norton about the internet special. Tell him Jim Fancher sent you.

Jim
  • Options
    savannahstevesavannahsteve Member Posts: 1
    When I checked the 2 savannah honda dealers in nov. neither had any ody on the lot. Both would sell at msrp with 2-3 mo wait.
  • Options
    bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    i have one on order from O'Donnell Honda in Elicott City, near columbia, MD. they are selling at MSRP and the salesman, Jerry somerville, is willing to throw a few things in that he can get installed by himself, such as cargo mat, mud flaps and wheel locks. cost of those pieces is about $300 so i don't feel as bad, but i must admit to feeling screwed by the dealership. i have never bought a car for more than invoice and i probably will not buy another Honda again because of this situation. i believe the salesman to be very nice, but i am turned off by the way the dealerships are taking advantage of all the buyers in the market. anyway, i will get off of my soap box.
  • Options
    ming10ming10 Member Posts: 1
    i'm looking to buy a new Odyssey EX. I see that there is typically a 2-3 month wait for one of these vans. Can anyone tell me if there are any dealers in the Philadelphia, PA area that might have one available on their lot? From what I've read on this site, MSRP, or slightly below, is a good price for an Odyssey. Any asistance is greatly appreciated!!!
  • Options
    meconnellmeconnell Member Posts: 1
    I recently picked up my Honda Odyssey EX-with NV for 28,100 or a little under MSRP. The dealer was Roebuck Honda in Birmingham Alabama. It was worth the saving to drive to Alabama from Atlanta to stop the gouging (law of supply and demand) that was going on in the Atlanta market. I also got the Honda care 7yr/100,000 for cost. Ask for Michael Bur tram.
  • Options
    bcablebcable Member Posts: 1
    Ready to start looking for an Odyssey to handle our new family addition. Live in NC - any good dealers in NC or surrounding states? dj5 and meconnell's deal looks pretty good. Let me know.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    So, if the 'evil' dealers are turning you off because of the supply and demand situation...you can always go to your local Dodge dealer and get a Caravan.

MSRP with some free goodies is a very good deal, as most people here will attest.
  • Options
    wjmbiowjmbio Member Posts: 2
    We have been on a local (mid Maryland) dealer's wait list since July for an EX OD. Although we did not plan to purchase an Odyssey until January, I did not get a satisfactory response about a January delivery date. We tried a few other local dealers, but we had the same response, 2 to 4 month wait or MSRP +$1,000.

While visiting relatives in Ohio, I called Roush Honda and bought a Dark Green EX ODY at MSRP + 20% off the options. The sales person offered the Honda Care Warranty at $895. Thanks to the Odyssey forums here at Edmunds I feel I was able to make a good deal. I knew specifically which options I wanted and the sales person threw in the mudguards for free. No haggling! We were even tickled about being able to actually test drive an ODY.

So here's the only potential catch. According to the dealership, the build date will be the first week in January 2001 (no later than January 7), and delivery will be no later than third week in January. Overall, it was a good experience. Despite purchasing it 400 miles from home, we got the van we wanted, in the color we wanted (yea!), within the time frame we wanted. I just hope the deal goes through as expected.
  • Options
    murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    Hi Everyone,

I know I am bit late into this discussions. Could someone help me find a Odyssey EX (AS)
    with Navigation System in Richmond, VA area. I
    don't mind travelling here and there to get a good
    deal. Is it possible to find a dealer to sell
    below MSRP. Any dealer references in NC and DC.

Thank you guys in Advance.
  • Options
    murmalmurmal Member Posts: 25
    Hi just read 'a Odyssey EX (AS)' as
    'a Odyssey EX (SS)'.
  • Options
    pepe11pepe11 Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know of any Honda dealers offering good deals on Ody EX in the northern NJ area. I feel MSRP or somewhat below would be reasonable so long as there are no dealer-required add-ons.

thanks,
    Pete
  • Options
    elinvaelinva Member Posts: 7
    I just got a GG EX in Cleveland. (It was a cheap flight from BWI airport) Will be glad to give you details if you want. eloos@erols.com.
  • Options
    sam7068sam7068 Member Posts: 28
    Bryann, I had a similar experience with Honda dealers. My neighbor let me test drive his Nissan Quest and that opened my eyes. You are right never pay over invoice ( I didn't even pay over invoice for hard to find C320).Anyhow, you get lot more van for the price. I researched for 6 months and talked to both Odyssey and Quest owners and both are very loyal owners and all are happy with their purchase. However Nissan owners seemed to be happier. So it simply came down to price and service. I saved over 4K for similar equiped Nissan 2001 GXE(compared to Honda LX). Engine is smaller but adequate, Quality is better based on the problems specified at Edmunds. There should be a board comparing these two VANs so buyers can really compare the features.
  • Options
    sostermannsostermann Member Posts: 1
    Sorry..spell checker mangled last post......
    Sam, poor safety rating of Nissan Quest led me to the Ody (2001 LX GG). MSRP, no add ons.
    Check it out at link:
    http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm
  • Options
    i006129i006129 Member Posts: 71
    (Sorry, the new spell check mangled my message)
    I took delivery of a MB 2001 EX with Navi on Christmas Eve. Paid $223 below MSRP. plus a $198 doc fee. Also added Leather for $1495 and Honda Care 7/100,000/0 warranty for $895. I did everything via e-mail and telephone. Only time I met the sales guy was when I picked up the car. Great experience. He even gave me the same value for my trade that he quoted over the phone. I Bought it from Curt Ming at Phillip Hushes Honda in At hens.

The vehicle does not pull to the right, no clunking when backing up, no rattle in the door.
    However, the gas gauge is way off. The low Gas light comes on with about 7 gallons left in the 20 gallon tank. It's a little frustrating as we now are using the tripometer to tell us when to refill(about every 300 miles). I'll have it looked at when we take it in for the first service.
    I've gone through two tanks of gas and am averaging in the 17-18 mpg range with mostly city driving. (I wonder if the folks that are reporting 13-14 mpg are really just having gas gauge issues?).
    Finally, I was against getting a mini-van but my wife is driving so she got to make the decision. I'm a convert. The vehicle drives great and has plenty of power. I've already carried a bunch of stuff from Home Depot with the third seat down. The kids like it and the Navigation system is a fun gadget that has saved me once already.
  • Options
    nealhnealh Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    new to this board. I live in Ma. looking to buy above asap. all dealers i have called said not negotiating on sticker. can anyone recommend someone up my way who will negotiate. i hate to spend full price.
    reply to nealhalpern@hotmail.com

thank you for helping
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I will weigh in on the side that finds the Quest/Villager extraordinarily ugly with their lopped off tail look (I suppose if you had your dog's tail bobbed...?). The Odyssey, OTOH, has a sleek and aggressive appearance that sets it apart from the now-bland egg shape of the next-best-in-appearance DC minivans. That being said, I will freely admit that I liked the DC minivans best in appearance a couple years ago. Maybe we all just tend to take the be-happy trail and usually end up liking best whatever we choose. Even if that's so, it certainly will lead to better mental health (unless you tend to want to argue with others about it, that is!). Don't worry. Drive happy! ;-)
  • Options
    Timmothy, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder...majority of people think minivans are disgusting and just plain ugly. However each one has its ugly side (Honda's is inside). However the point I had brought up was that no matter how you look it, saving $4875 over less equiped LX (Bay Area california prices)is a beauty no matter what. Thats cash in your pocket to invest or whatever you please. Also as a consumer no one should be treated like the way Honda dealers are treating buyers. Lets admit it..they are rude and have a take it or leave it attitude. Even Mercedes dealers are not like that. I posted this message to inform others of choices out there. The overall value package is good and you don't get Jacked around by dealers who charge $500-$1000 over MSRP!! also you are not limited by choice of colors that dealers tries to shove down your throat.
  • Options
    vanshopper5vanshopper5 Member Posts: 10
    We finally put our names on the list for the Odyssey LX -- approx. a 5 month wait (which is fine). Winter will be over by then. The kids are thrilled that the decision has finally been made.
    (The kids know more about minivans than the salespeople.)

Question is: is it worth it to upgrade to the EX? We intend to add a security system and a CD player. The EX comes with both plus the other nice features--but the power sliding doors are something we don't want. So far we are staying with the LX decision. The power doors seem to be a feature that could have problems. Also, is it true that if someone other than the dealer installs the alarm system and/or cd player it would void the warranty? (I know that when the time comes to add these items the dealership will tell us that.)

Timothydavis, do you have your Odyssey and which one is it? I've been following the forums for a while and don't remember when you got yours.

Thanks.
    thanks
  • Options
    timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    Your memory is fine because we haven't bought one yet. We fully intend to do so, but missed out on the now-defunct $315 over invoice Mark Roberts Motors deal, bought an F-150 in the meantime and now need to consider budget limits very, very carefully before taking on the Odyssey too. Still, as my now 7-month-pregnant wife keeps assuring me, we will be buying her the Odyssey! We are going to get the EX for the additional features including the power doors. We'll also probably seek out one of the under-$1,000 deals on the Honda Care Warranty though, to forestall the maintenance worries on the doors.

Good luck with your purchase. I'm sure you'll enjoy the van.
  • Options
    good luck finding a dealer willing to negotiate off of msrp. I have feelers out with at least 20 dealers and found one in cleveland that would go $500 off of msrp. it will cost me almost that much to get there and I am getting sticker plus a few add nos for free. anyway, good luck again.
  • Options
    honda101honda101 Member Posts: 4
    The reason all of you like the odyssey is because its the best van out there! and here on Long Island we sell LX's for msrp, EX's for $1000 over msrp and EX's Navis for msrp. we dont have a waiting list but we never have any in stock. by the time honda speed production with the new plant, the msrp will be 1000 over current msrp. stop complaining about us and enjoy your vehicles! and to all of you "that never pay over invoice" thats bull, because you might get the car at invoice while the dealer is holding dealer cash that the public doesn't know about. face it, the dealer will make a profit, otherwise it won't sell a car. plus, most of you don't trust any dealer because you never built a relationship with a specific salesperson, the best price is not always the best deal!
  • Options
    Well..I guess our honda rep proved my case by showing his arrogant attitude!!!...This was my experience at Anderson Honda(Palo Alto,ca) all the way to Northern and Southern Ca. "Either you pay the price over MSRP...or get off the lot. At least some dealers treat you like that after the purchase not right off the bat!!..My suggestion is for those die hard Odyssey fans is to wait till October and buy the same van below the invoice.
  • Options
    bigmoneymikebigmoneymike Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I'm new at buying a car and being put on a waiting list, so I thought I ask the veterans out there before I drive down to the dealers to get on the wait list.

When I go to the dealer and put my deposit down, do I negotiate the final price of the van BEFORE the deposit or when the car arrives? I'm a bit confused (and scared that I might get ripped off even more) since this whole process is new.

I appreciate any comments and/or guidelines as to how this works. Also, from the threads, it sounds like that I can buy an LX in So Cal for the MSRP with a relatively short wait list. I hope this is still true.

Thanks in advance,

bigmoneymike@juno.com
  • Options
    do you feel better trying to belittle people that spend hard earned money? was that the point of your post? if not, well, that is the message that you relayed to people like me. thanks for nothing. anyway, if I were to pay "so called invoice price", it would be less than MSRP. that is the point. I want to pay the minimum amount for the car. personally, I think you should tone down your insults to us "that never pay over invoice."
  • Options
    qman13qman13 Member Posts: 6
    Lose a customer today? Maybe it is your attitude. Hope your attitude puts food on the table when the economy slows.
  • Options
    jimiyejimiye Member Posts: 8
    Honda 101, are you kidding or what? Honda increase
    MSRP by 1000? you must typo decrease to increase,
    Right? With such bad economy, and new plant increasing production by 100% tll October, I can only assume decreasing MSRP by 1000 is reasonable, maybe 2000.
  • Options
    Back in Oct 00,I called Anderson Honda(palo alto, ca) and secured a price for a green honda LX for Msrp and when they called me in to get my van suddendly the color changed to silver and price went up by $1000. Floor manager told me that the salesman had a wrong numbers and he was new. To which I said B.S. and walkout after week of talking with them and arranging the financing and other stuff. I placed my deposit with Auto West honda (Fremont, CA) at the end of Nov. and after 3 weeks they told me the van is here, when I went for the test drive, it too was pulling to the right, I complain about that he said come back and we have it ready for you next day, I went back and they told me van was sold already to another customer on the waiting list. The second week of December I walked over to my local Nissan dealer and purchased my Quest. This was my best experience with the dealer, I was treated like a king, I paid 21K out the door for my GXE and saved 5K over the LX. They also gave me two free tank of gas!!Also last night my salesman called me to see how my van is doing and if I had any questions. Thats what I call service!! My price was $2500 below their invoice. Now I am happy camper!! It really a nice van despite the reviews . I really think everyone should boycott the Honda's for 6 month and have them beg customers to come back!!
  • Options
    kutekute Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

We finally took delivery of Ody '01 EX SS on Tuesady from Heritage Honda in Rome GA. I put $500 deposit on 12/8 and got the delivery on 1/2/01. I paid 26,500 which included destination and mud guards. Doc fees $ 189. No other add ons. The entire purchase experience was professional! The Van is wonderful!! All other dealers in the area were asking at least $500 over MSRP and bunch of add ons. You can contact Rosemary at Heritage and tell her that Balkrishna Kute referred you. Good Luck! We are thouroughly enjoying our Van!! We got it in the color we wanted, Silver!!

The check list that was posted here a while ago was quite useful! Thanks to every on this forum who shared very useful information on the Ody purchase.
  • Options
    medrovermedrover Member Posts: 2
    Last month I stopped at Performance Honda in Cincinnati, There ware 6 odys on the lot. In midwest you can easily find a ody deal selling below MSRP. Just from December, I asked for $1000 below MSRP, one dealer said OK, another said would offer same deal. When I asked for $1500 below MSRP, I have to wait. Fine, I'll wait.

Yes dealer needs to make money to live, but this attitude will hurt Honda image. I will test drive the Nissan Quest. Heard it has Pathfinder powertrain which has been tested for more than 5 years on the market.

BTW, last month 9391 ody sold, compare to 11,752 sold in 12/1999. That's why you can see Odys on dealer's lot.
  • Options
    The dealers are trying to extend this "shortage" as long as possible. They are getting 10-15% per Odyssey without any effort on their part. #586 is on track but, these will be on the lots before fall. Look at how much wait time has diminished since the plant went to 24hr production. I was told by a friend at another company's dealership they are already having orders cancelled from the economy slow down. Don't know if that will carry over to Odysseys but, I will wait until Fed rate cut at end of month. The expected drop in interest rates will save far more than a few hundred under msrp. 101's gouging days will end sooner then he wants.
  • Options
    patientpatient Member Posts: 2
    I wanted to thank all of you who have contributed the last 4-6 months. I have read what was said and was able to save $$. When I first went to the dealers in Port land, OR the price was $4,000 over MSRP. I was startled to say the least. I contacted a dealer in Gladstone and told them that I would only pay MSRP. They called me one month later and said that they had one available. I showed them the statements about Honda Care at $895 and they reluctantly matched that price (they wanted several hundred more). They quoted me leather at $1895. I declined and took delivery of the Odyssey. Later I went to www.classicsofttrim.com and found them in the Port land area. They did the leather for $1499. Looks beautiful. I ordered accessories from on-line shops and saved almost 50% from the dealer prices. Overall this site educated me enough to save hundreds of dollars. Thanks!! The sales person was not helpful at Gladstone Honda. He would have gladly taken everything at the marked up price.
  • Options
    grplavloffgrplavloff Member Posts: 138
    "by the time honda speed production with the new plant, the msrp will be 1000 over current msrp." That makes sense: most of the profit should go to those who designed it and actually built it; that's where the value comes from.
  • Options
    "Look at how much wait time has diminished since the plant went to 24hr production." I would be concerned about buying a vehicle produced in a hurry-up-get-as-many-out-the-door-as-fast-as-possible pressure cookers. The Odyssey is already quite below the average Honda in reliability.
  • Options
    east489east489 Member Posts: 8
    I am re-posting this msg-by error I placed this in the other Odyssey msg group
    We are considering the Honda Odyssey.
    Can anyone share prices they paid in the State of Michigan .
    What dealers would be the best ones to call?
    Everyone seems to speak highly of the Odyssey - anyone having buyers remorse and why?
    Does the OD come with Daytime Running Lights? With Toyota its an option!
    Any Comments on the ABS,EBD,TCS for the Michigan weather conditions?
    To cut cost we are considering the LX verse EX, power sliding doors just don't turn me on.
    However; I am wondering if they are easy to open over a period of time for the wife to handle with no problems.
    Only thing that bothers me about the OD is I wish it had a more ground clearance...Anyone
    notice this. I have not seen any commets on this issue. Perhaps its just me. I have a long
    drive way up north with many ruts until it smoothed over in the spring. So maybe its not a real concern.
    Is the 2nd seat really easy to take out. I have to haul some stuff up north every
    other weekend for a remodeling work on our place, etc ..Tools and odd ball building
    supplies...... Take up light furn when I do not feeling like loading the trailer... etc.
    All help would be appreciated. If I have missed anything else, please just add it in -
    on things to be watchful of- or helpful hints.
    Thanks
  • Options
    mitchelledmitchelled Member Posts: 4
    Just bought one for MSRP ($28840)

Its supply and demand....once the new plant comes online, the dealers will have to start negotiating on them. Until then, they can get what customers are willing to pay for them.

I just wouldnt pay over MSRP! Some dealers are not taking orders and are selling them to the highest bidder when they come in...good for them...but they wont get my business. I'm not in that much of a hurry to buy one!
  • Options
    Unless, you are buying a Rolls, Porche, or other high end, quality at any cost car. All cars are produce on an assembly line with an eye on maxium profits. Do the workers on the extra shifts equate to unskilled people? Do the assembly robots get tired toward the end of the day?
  • Options
    hobie1981hobie1981 Member Posts: 23
    med: Would you mind listing the dealers you got -1000, and -1500 off MSRP. I'm looking for an 01 EX. Can afford to wait a few months.Best I've found so far..is -750 off..yup..in OHIO.

Patient: Did your price for classic soft trim include the seat heaters???
  • Options
    honda101honda101 Member Posts: 4
    I guess i need to opologize, i didn't mean to offend anyone. I treat all my costumers the same wether they're buying a civic or an oddysey. I love my costumers! so I'm sorry. the only thing I was trying to convey is that you are paying market price, and all of you are paying about the same price, so how can you say you're being ripped off? I thought everyone didn't like the haggling and so forth? Just enjoy your vans.

honda increased msrp by $500 from 2000 to 2001, next year it will be the same increase.

Some of our customers offered us $2500 over sticker if they can get one immidiatly!

I would love to help anyone if they have questions regarding these vehicles
  • Options
    patientpatient Member Posts: 2
    The leather seats did not include the seat heaters, though if I remember right they were around $350 to $400.
  • Options
    "Do the workers on the extra shifts equate to unskilled people? Do the assembly robots get tired toward the end of the day? "

That's quiter clever: you talk about machines getting tired, but not people. SO: did Honda go out and hire an entire third shift's worth of assembly line stiffs, and bring them up to the same level of skill & experience overnight ? Or is it the case that you've got a lot of people working double shifts day in and day out, night in and night out ? Oh, and push those robots long enough without time for decent maintenance, and they'll get out of wack just like the rest of us... Cheers !
  • Options
    I surrender. Call off the dogs. qman13