Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hogan773hogan773 Posts: 255
    Not knowing all the specifics, that seems like a good strategy. I would go to the "higher" (by 250) dealer first, tell them you have a quote from another dealer for $250 cheaper, but tell them that the trade in value matters too of course - its a total package. Get an idea of what your trade in is worth by looking at Edmunds, also KBB.com. Unlikely they will offer you those numbers, especially not the first time, but at least you'll have some frame of reference. Be careful not to outright tell the first dealer when you sit down that you're checking with him FIRST - just tell them that you're weighing a couple different options and you of course need to understand what they're willing to pay on the trade to make a decision. Just be a little vague.

See if they can come down $250 on the car price first, then see what they offer for trade. No matter what they offer, look disappointed (you probably won't have to act, as you probably will get a truly disappointing number at first!). Assuming the Edmunds or KBB numbers are higher, tell them you were thinking you'd get at least that much, and why is their offer lower? They'll tell you that Edmunds and KBB don't reflect true wholesale values, blah blah blah. Whatever.

Ask them to clarify whether this is in fact their best offer on both metrics, and then tell them that you need to go visit another dealer to see what they will offer in trade, but you'll make a decision after that. Be polite and courteous. They'll probably let you walk, but they might try to do a "wait a minute - I tell ya what - if I can improve our offer, would you be willing to buy right now? DO NOT COMMIT but also DO NOT SAY NO - say something to put the ball back in their court like "I thought you just told me that this was your best offer? Now I'm confused. I guess I'm happy to hear what is your best offer......" Now they have to react - they might say I'll knock another $300 off (or add another $500 to the trade or whatever) if you buy right now.......

think about it for a minute, thank them, then say "you know, I appreciate your gesture but this trade in is potentially a big part of the package, and I'd really be foolish not to at least get a second quote. I'll get back in touch with you though" Then walk out and go to Dealer #2. Dealer 1 would have to be a [non-permissible content removed] not to honor that Hail Mary lower price even if you come back later........

At Dealer #2, you can either play out the above, or if you're getting tired and think you have a good deal, you can just make sure that Dealer 2 beats whatever you had at Dealer 1 and buy the car........but make sure you push for a higher trade in than they offer initally, usually they offer at least 500-1000 lower than they'd be willing to pay.

Also don't seem desperate or "in a rush" like you've driven an hour and therefore you need to get this done today at any cost.....

good luck and let us know how it goes.....
  • nobonobo Posts: 305
    Good luck on your dream of getting a new 2010 EXL with RES and NAV for 30K. Please let us know how you make out.
  • rangersacerangersace Posts: 34
    I doubt if you brought 10 vans for cash you'd get an EXL w/Res AND Nav for $30K. Outside chance you'd get an EXL w/RES for $30K but good luck with your search.
  • I got the following price for a 2010 EX-L:

$29,070 plus tax, tags and dealer fee

The price includes the following accessories:

all weather floor mats
    mud guards
    cargo tray

I think it's a great price. We will pick it up this weekend. :)
  • aps123aps123 Posts: 20
    That seems to be a great price. Can you post from where you purchased. I'm still looking and the best price I got is 29,271 + accessories...
    If you are close to OH, give the internet folks at Castrucci Honda, Miamisburg OH an email. ;)
    Thanks but I'm in Pittsburgh and its a 4+ hour drive..:-(
    Wouldn't hurt to get a quote from them. If you don't want to make the drive, you could always use their price as a bargaining tool. Just saying.
    edited May 2010
    You are right.. Just emailed them...although I must say I seem to have reached a ceiling in the Pittsburgh area with 29,271. The inventory also seems to be shrinking. hope I have not waited too long :)
  • exlseekerexlseeker Posts: 10
    How much dealer fee?
    Are you getting special financing 1.9 or 2.9 with this pricing? if yes then go ahead and get the car.
    are you getting this pricing with special financing 1.9 or 2.9? what is dealer fee and how much dealer is charging for accessories?
    edited May 2010
    I'm getting my own financing from BOA at 3 %

This is the best offer I have so far
    $29,271 (includes destination fee )
    $2,048,97 (sales tax)
    $168.50 plate fees

Splash guards-$111.60
    All-season mats-$165.83
    Wheel locks-$78.41

OTD - 31,844
  • kristine70kristine70 Posts: 9
    I went to both dealers.

Dealer #1: Cheaper original OTD price by $100. Offered the towing package for $1286 installed and $900 on my trade-in (a 11 year old Saturn with 140,000 miles and in obvious need of new tires, also has lost its ABS functionality, leaks oil, and really needs new wheels).

Dealer #2: $100 higher OTD price. Offered the towing package for $1021 installed and moved up from $1000 to $1200 on the trade-in.

Dealer #1 told me that if I drove the car away after having it appraised, the deal would be off, as the car would have more miles when it came back. Now, he didn't have the color I want in stock, so I'm not really sure what his plan was - a hotel out back, maybe?

Since Dealer #2 now had the best price by $300+, we went with them. Overall, I'm happy with my pricing and the trade. He hopes to let me know tonight about when I'll have the vehicle.

Thanks for all the help here.
  • joefar75joefar75 Posts: 46
    27238 for a new EXL is a great PRICE!!
    would you share the dealership?
    j o e f a r 75 @ y a h o o .c o m

just leave out the spaces.
    I tried with a local dealer at 28600 w/ destination, and they wouldnt move from $29500. I would have pulled the trigger at 28600.
  • joefar75joefar75 Posts: 46
    27238 for a new EXL is a great PRICE!!
    would you share the dealership?
    j o e f a r 75 @ y a h o o .c o m

just leave out the spaces.
    I tried with a local dealer at 28600 w/ destination, and they wouldnt move from $29500. I would have pulled the trigger at 28600.
  • kristine70kristine70 Posts: 9
    Do you realize the message you resonded to is from April 12, 2004? That's more than 6 years ago! I'm doubting the price is still accurate :).
  • Dealer fee = $400

Kinda high, but we like the convenience. We don't need to drive 1-2 hrs away.

No special financing. We did not ask since we're paying in cash. We're done with borrowing. We're completely debt-free including our house. :)
  • Will you drive to east TN? :)

Don't wait too long since you may end up with a color you don't like. We thought about waiting longer, but we didn't want to take a chance on the color. As I checked around a few days ago, there's only 1 available Polished Metal in our area. This is why we're going to buy now and stop waiting. Waiting may mean ending up with a color I don't really like or driving faaaar to get what I want.

Good luck!
    thanks for response.. looks like i got screwed in financing.. paying 5.29% with honda financing.. need to transfer to some bank..
    thanks for reply.. looks little higher pricing.. just don;t pay for accessories..