Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bjk2001bjk2001 Posts: 358
    Honda don't like their dealership selling Canada Honda to US customer. I am just amazed you have a local American Honda Dealer is selling Canada Odyssey in US. Wondering what will happen if Honda knew about this particular dealership. I guess your local dealer will not get Honda's President Award LOL.

bjk
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,941
    My last visit was in the first week of October, 1999. Few tourists but still fine for camping. Only the Shaw was crowded but luckily got two plays in (as we did recently).

Lots of guys got Nissan Pathfinders until a few months ago when Nissan USA stopped honouring the warranty on Canadian purchased cars. Honda USA has had this policy for a long time, as far as I know, and they supposedly (as Bjk2001 notes) "punish" Canadian dealers who sell new cars to American dealers for resale with aftermarket warranties.

I understand that this is also a common practice in the European Union but may change with their new economic rules there. And there's been talk of using NAFTA to allow easier cross-border car sales here.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• geh86geh86 Posts: 11
    mart7,

You lack tact and are an insult to Honda's previously, indisputably sound reputation. My local Honda dealer has respect for his customers.... Too bad you don't. What goes around comes around, and you will get bit some day!
  • mart7mart7 Posts: 5
    It wasn't about showing tact geh86, do not attack my person I wouldn't deal with a customer using these words. I didn't post on this board trying to sell you a car either my reason for posting like this was to show exactly what goes on, why does everybody who claims to have gotten such a good deal also say they waited for their van. Respect for customers is one thing letting you know exactly the mindset of a dealer who can get a vehicle off his lot over sticker while Mr.MSRP is working him below MSRP is another. You won't find a nicer person than me my friend. This is a consumers board I just gave you very valuable insight maybe you should respect that. And I am not a Honda dealer but I do sell cars.
  • geh86geh86 Posts: 11
    Unfortunately, at the same time you just reinforced the notion of the two-faced and/or hypocritical nature that tends to run among many sales persons and that is why so few are trusted today. Enough said...let's move on.
  • pdoalamopdoalamo Posts: 11
    I am about to purchase the 2002 Odyssey EXL.
    Anyone could advise me how much we could negotiate to get the van? I am in Dallas, TX.

Thanks a lot.
  • mart7mart7 Posts: 5
    The only hypocrites are consumers, the biggest liars are consumers, a consumer won't pay suggested retail price for certain cars and we have no problem letting them deal on those cars yet when it comes to a premium vehicle we cannot charge true market value. No consumer ever willingly says you know what Mr.Sales guy here is an extra 1000 go and feed your family, but they lovingly take as much as they can out of his pocket whenever possible. This was about the Odyssey the availability of it and the premium pricing. Would you rather earn 20 or 100 geh86? We are not talking lemon here we are talking Honda Odyssey best mini van on the market, top tier resale value, and a wealth of reliability, this is not door to door sales where you are not sure if you ever see sales man again. Almost every consumer wants a deal, why shouldn't every sales man want to make more money. Ask yourself does the person that asks for a Civic at true market value and brings his research in from Edmunds(and gets it by the way),do they also ask for the Odyssey at true market value and bring in research NOOO. They want similar savings. Who is the hypocrite in this case scenario my friend. Just another point of view.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,941
    Sounds like capitalism at work - the only quibble I have is that car sales people move from dealer to dealer pretty often and that makes it hard to develop a long term relationship with someone.

But this is a pricing topic; again I'll recommend one of the SmartShopper considerate dealer/shopper discussions where this talk is more on topic.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• jmurman42jmurman42 Posts: 675
    I received the pricing for the 2003 yesterday. It went up by 150 across the board.

Jerry
  • ohloneohlone Posts: 55
    I'm in sales to and understand the frustration that piles up over time.

But it works both ways - when dealers offer money on someone's trade in, it's usually an unbelievably low offer - insulting really.

fortunately I sell software - it sucks in this economy, but at least I don't have to compete against someone with the same product in the next county.
  • kruebbekruebbe Posts: 4
    I'm purchasing a 2003 Ody for the first time. I'm reading different things about pricing and am confused. Do dealers sell at MSRP? Can you get a Honda below MSRP? I've even read where some people have bought for more than the MSRP. Can someone please explain and/or help me in this dilema.

thanks
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,735
    ...the only way to find out is to speak with a few dealers. Ody's are going from appx $500 under to $2,000 over MSRP depending on where you live and what trim level you are looking for.

Good Luck.
  • hugozhugoz Posts: 82
    I just bought an '02 EX with leather and DVD-entertainment system in the DC/VA/MD metro area; paid exactly MSRP for it. I tried to get a discount, using the internet strategies suggested in a couple of posts here. I also figured that maybe with the '03 models on the way, there'd be some room to negotiate on an '02.

Wrong! I even gave Priceline.com a try by entering a bid on an '02 LX for $500 less than MSRP; I didn't get a single response.

But, the good news is that I found at least 3 or 4 dealers in the area with an '02 in stock for MSRP. So, I went to the dealer whose emails were most responsive to mine, and upon seeing the EX model with DVD (silver), I was instantly hooked. I agonized briefly whether to lease or buy, but decided to buy due to the high resale values. Also, I initially had thought I'd get an '03 LX, but am glad I decided not to wait, as well as to go for the added EX luxury/features. My family is crazy about the DVD system.

On the '03 versus '02 issue: my salesman swore that the '03 are exactly the same, and given the minimal depreciation factor, I figured, why wait?
  • Funny you should post Mr.Hugo, I was just going to say how pleased I was with the negotiation schemes presented at Edmunds. It was enjoyable to feel in control the entire time I was buying the car. I went Aug 31st to a south Jersey honda dealer, 2 hours before closing, and I got $200 off MSRP on a red EX and my wife got a free cargo floor cover (valued at $100 according to honda.com... why Edmunds doesn't put dealer installed options into it's write-ups is a mystery to me, especially if honda publishes them itself) The two questions I have are:

1) They got me with a $99 paper work fee... am I supposed to pay this, or did they find a way to fleece me for $99?

2) Did I do good getting it under MSRP? It's funny in this topic, there's not many recent postings listing what price people paid.
    Woellj: thanks for your reply; I like your "last day of the month," two hours before closing strategy. Yeah, based on my experience, I think you did great. Maybe I should have waited (bought mine on the 28th), but I doubt the result would have been any different for me. I got mine on a rainy Wednesday evening, with fewer customers around. Had I waited till Saturday, it would surely have been sold to someone else.

It seems your experience also highlights the regional difference -- guess there's higher demand in my area, so MSRP is the bottom line. I think the $99 processing fee you paid does sound like a rip. I only paid a $25 fee. By the way, I didn't mention in my earlier post that my salesman also let me have wheel locks and mud flaps for free. (I, too, noticed that Edmunds does not list the dealer added accessories that are on the Honda web site, which is too bad because it'd be nice to see the invoice price versus retail.)

By the way, what do you think of buying an '02 versus waiting for an '03? Was that even an issue with you?

A final note to self: in the future, go to a dealer who promises to do as much paperwork beforehand. It took me over two and half hours to get out the door -- including having to listen to sales pitches on buying an extended warranty and other dealer service deals. (No, I didn't go for the extended warranty.) The day after I bought my Ody, I got an email from another dealer promising a one-hour processing time.
  • rms41rms41 Posts: 80
    I guess price is a regional thing. My daughter has an order in for a 2003 LX and has paperwork that indicates she is getting it for MSRP -$500. This is a reputable dealer that I have purchased two vehicles from so I know they will stand by this. As far as differences between 2002 and 2003 go, there are a few minor things (other than colors). First, the driver's power window will have an express-up feature as well as the express-down (I have this feature on my Pilot and it's really handy when leaving a toll booth). Also, there is some new feature with the rear wiper and washer. But that's it. So they are basically the same.
    rms41: thanks for the reply. On your daughter's '03 order, are you sure the -$500 isn't just a deduction for the $500 order deposit? Just curious.
  • croy4croy4 Posts: 14
    I'm looking for an 02 or 03 EX anywhere in Southern Ca. I would like to pay MSRP. So far, two dealers I have contacted are 1,000 and 1,500 above MSRP. Can anyone recommend a good dealership in Southern California? Thanks.
  • rms41rms41 Posts: 80
    No, it's not the deposit (I know because I'm the one that actually made the deposit). When I bought my Pilot from them I met with one of the owners and asked if they could do anything for my daughter if she ordered an Odyssey. They said sure, MSRP -$500. I'm sure the fact that I got the Pilot (at MSRP) is what caused them to give her a break.
  • wardmwardm Posts: 23
    Hugoz. Where did you buy your ody? I've put down $500 on an 03 EX-L RES at Bill Page. Price will be (haven't tried negotiating yet) $31,059 but includes wheel locks, mud guards, storage tray and cargo mat.