Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• ajseaglesajseagles Member Posts: 13
    edited April 2010
    I am not sure how much the incentives changed from March to April. However, there is still definitely a manufacturer-to-dealer incentive.

My zag.com quote was $30,191 last month and is now $30,122... for what it's worth.
  • vaodyvaody Member Posts: 2
    Does your Zag quote include the dest charge?

I am receiving a quote of 30,710 for EXL w/res for the price of the car + 710. Taxes, taxes etc are about 1,000 extra.

Is this a deal?
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    How comie in the United States of America the Honda buidling colours are BLUE and in Canada they are RED?

ps: could not find a geneal forum in the Honda discussions
  • paysensmompaysensmom Member Posts: 8
    Would it be fair to say that one could get the touring model for 6,000 under MSRP? Seems like that is what I have seen on her for the deals people are getting. Although, not on the touring model.
  • blin1blin1 Member Posts: 1
    could you tell me a breakdown of 29800 price and tax? I am trying to get the sale price for my starting point.

Congrats look like you had a fantastic deal. BYW, do you know can you drive the new car for highway right way? I used to hear you need to drive mixed speed for the benefit of new car

Thanks
  • lyndapyrlyndapyr Member Posts: 10
    The price of $ 29,800.00 was for the EXL, splash guards, wheel locks, cargo tray and all other cost except the tax. I will have to pay the tax in a few weeks directly to the revenue department. It should run around $ 1600.00.
    Thanks
  • sricansrican Member Posts: 12
    We are looking to buy Honda Odyssey EX and we have gotten quotes from several dealers around the area. The dealers around where we live quote higher price, but offer the alternate service offer. Is it worth buying it from dealers outisde the area since they are a few hundred bucks lower or is the free service offer worth the difference.

Note its only the oil change for the first 2 years (not the major service).

SR.
  • nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Depends on how many miles you drive per year. If you drive 12K per year, you might be looking at 3 or 4 oil changes. Say ~$100 to 125.00. What are dealers further from you quoting?
  • deepressmandeepressman Member Posts: 1
    I got a deal on the EX (no extras) for 26448 plus taxes and dmv. This was by playing two dealerships against each other. The only catch was I had to settle for an in stock color, which was no big deal for me. It was Yonkers Honda vs Honda of New Rochelle (NY, westchester county).
  • piscomattpiscomatt Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2010 Odyssey EX in Northern Virginia (I live in Maryland). Here is what I paid:

$24,959 base price
    $710 freight
    $385 processing fee
    $1864 Tax, Tags, Title

OTD price was $27,918
    (included wheel locks and mud flaps which I didn't care about having, but was not charged for them)
  • jimbob1jimbob1 Member Posts: 70
    edited April 2010
    Would it be fair to say that one could get the touring model for 6,000 under MSRP? Seems like that is what I have seen on her for the deals people are getting. Although, not on the touring model.

I have seen almost nothing about purchases of the Touring trim level on this forum, or the other large Odyssey forum not sponsored by Edmunds.

That said, even with the $1250 dealer incentive, I'm not sure you will get $6000 below MSRP. It's worth a shot to negotiate there, but I wouldn't feel confidant of that price point. From the TMV on this site, it appears you'd be doing well to get $4500 off MSRP.

Any other Touring buyers out there?
  • vickymj23vickymj23 Member Posts: 1
    This forum has been a lot of help and hopefully my information will benefit others. We purchased a Honda Odyssey EX-L with RES (Slate Green Metallic + Olive) yesterday at DCH Academy Honda in Old Bridge, NJ. The price was about $29800 + Dest (710) + Misc (Doc, Transfer etc) (330). Traded my Acura MDX 2008 for the same price. Had to do some negotiation on the trade-in-price. I got the 29.8K price from the internet department and they refused to go any lower than that.
    Overall the experience at the dealer was very good. Picking up the vehicle on Monday. Good luck to others.
  • autowriteautowrite Member Posts: 226
    You want front mud flaps, for sure, or the bottom of your doors will rust out over time. Mine came standard, in Ontario, Canada. I have had no rust ion my 2002 n 247,000 kms; except for a very small 4" strip near the inside channel of the right-side mirror.
  • icristi58icristi58 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased 2010 touring end of february, 36687.60 cash, which includes the rebate and destination charge, no financing:
    negociated price 36687.60
    Documentary fee 250
    Tax 7.75% 2826.66
    license plates 88
    total otd 39888.26 with dealer installing complimentary splash-guards.
    I live in the midwest and had to order the color combination we want. I think I could have negotiated few hundred dollars less. Hope this helps.
  • onlytponlytp Member Posts: 3
    Finally - Bought EXL on the road price of $30,550.
    Base price - 28,300 + Sales Tax and DMV fees. No extras.
  • ladera_rancherladera_rancher Member Posts: 3
    Can I get the dealer name and the sales person you got this deal from?
  • snowdaddyosnowdaddyo Member Posts: 53
    http://www.usmoneytalk.com/finance/honda-sales-up-for-march-by-22-on-incentives-- 904/

Doesn't look like Honda will be turning up the incentives any time soon.
  • dagdogdagdog Member Posts: 1
    The invoice on 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L is $31,271. The Dealer has a Holdback of roughly $650 + dealer cash of $1250, for your sake, lets round it up to $2,000. So, $28,300 + $2,000 = $30,300 which is still a thousand dollars negative for the dealership; $31,271 - $30,300 = $971. Which dealership did you buy from and how much did they overcharge you for warrenty and other garbage in the finance department?
  • lasvegasrphlasvegasrph Member Posts: 102
    According to what I have read here on Edmunds and seen from various dealers, the INVOICE on a 2010 Odyssey EXL = $30,970 (see build & price area under NEW cars here on Edmunds)

So, if you take $30,970 - $1250(dealer cash) -$600(hold back)= $29,120
    ***This would actually be a LOSING deal, if you think about it. That would be $4995 off MSRP of $34115

I have NOT seen any offers near this price. Most dealers are willing to go to $29,800 or so.

If you can get one for UNDER $29,800 you are doing very, very well.
    which dealership? Just post the name of the dealer only, unless you want to give out more info. Did you use the internet dept?
  • gollsgolls Member Posts: 21
    Are you sure about the on the road price? If the base price is $28300, then price after tax in bay area should be $28300*1.0925 = $30918 (assuming 9.25% tax, although it is 9.75% at several places). OTD price will be higher due to DMV and doc fees. Total should have come to around $31250. Either the base price is even lower (unlikely!) or the OTD price should be higher than 30500.
    Not a Bay area purchase, but here is what we got in Ohio.

My wife finally got a new van. Purchased 03-31-2010. She got the Odyssey EX-L in Polished Metal Metallic with Grey Leather.

$34115.00 Retail
    $28510.40 Sale Price
    $ 294.50 DOC and title fees
    $ 1869.42 Ohio 6.5% Sales Tax (no trade in or dealer financing)
    $30674.32 Out the Door.

No extra accessories or options on the van. Dealer had to drive ~250 miles one way to trade for the color she wanted. No extra charges for locating or getting the van. Dealer did not try to sell us any accessories, or even an extended warranty.

Transaction began by contacting several Honda internet sites. Went with the lowest price. Did not try to negotiate the price any lower.

Very satisfied with the purchase. Best part is the selling dealer is less than two miles from where my wife works. Will be very handy for service.

Dealer only had one van left yesterday when we picked up her new purchase. This time last year they had about 25 to 30 on the lot.

Dealt with the internet department of Castrucci Honda, Miamisburg, Ohio.

Waited several months for the new Sienna to make its appearance. Were really disappointed in several aspects of the 2011 Sienna. It does have some appealing features, but the Odyssey won out
    We finally purchased 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (No RES/NAV), Polished Metal Metallic for $30,500 Out of the Door price (includes Destination, Tax, Tags, Processing fees). The OTD includes dealer accessories like Splash guard, wheels locks etc.

We were looking to buy EX, but fell in love with EX-L. We asked for internet quotes from dealers around the DC area and went with the dealer that gave the lowest price range.

Although we had our own financing, the dealer financing was much more attractive (this is not the the 1.9% or 2.9% that Honda provides). We took the cash back but went with dealer financing through a different bank.
  • sri1sri1 Member Posts: 23
    It would help everyone if you could breakup OTD price and dealerinfo.
  • ehgieboyehgieboy Member Posts: 3
    Finally got one, after looking on and off since last year. I've been reading this forum and thanks for everyone who posted here, It's been helpful. Got ours last week on 3/31. Purchased a 2010 silver with grey int. for $ 32,250 plus fees. OTD price $35921.29. took the $1250 rebate and got mine finance at 3.9% with my credit union. Another dealer had my first color choice which is the polished metallic but wanted 32250 + 710 (dest. charge) = $32,960 and wouldn't budge. I guess this color is very popular and I tried diff. dealers but don't have this color plus I tried telling them the price, they can't even match that price. Overall very happy with the van and the experience with the dealer.
    Odyssey EX-L with Splash Guards

Vehicle Price - 27700
    Destination - 710
    MD Tax 6%
    Processing 100
    Tags, Title etc 274

Total was 30500 out the door.

I checked other dealerships in the area and they were not even close.
  • onlytponlytp Member Posts: 3
    I did not buy any addition's / no coverage - just EX-L model. This is how the deal went

Dealers have MSRP / invoice / NET price. The net price was apprx 800-1000$ below invoice. Also they have a 1250 rebate if you do not take the financing. In addition I was able to shave off a discount of 750$. Final price was 28300. Taxes + DMV fees etc is close to 11.5% or so. OTD price is $31500. The salesguy had committed to 28K (dont know if that was by mistake), but the manager came back and apologized and said they could not do the deal at 28K. They would break even at 28300 and since he had committed me the price he would give me that price.

Dealer is autowest fremont - talked to lamaine
  • vaodyvaody Member Posts: 2
    What dealer did you get this from?
    We bought ours at Hersons Honda in Rockville, MD.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    I am amazed! I thought I got a good price ($30,555) on the EX-L I just bought.

Here is how truecar.com breaks it down:

Sticker: $34,115
    Average price paid (in my area - Oklahoma): $31,542
    Invoice: $31,304
    True cost (what the dealer pays): $29,386

Good price: $31,726
    Great price: $30,922

Now, there are no incentives in our area, and perhaps there are in yours. Also, I think I got stuck with a nebulous $149 "processing fee" for their paperwork. I would have fought them on it, but my husband thought I was being a pill. ;)

Now this is without TT&L, which I still have to pay. My hat is off to you. You got the van for less than what the dealer paid. Sweet.
    We also looked at TrueCar.com but it was significantly higher. I dont think it takes into account the incentive for 1250 and dealer holdback of 500 (since these may be recent, and truecar might average over time).
  • hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    If you read the thread you'll see that many were getting "money losing deals" from the dealers.......including me. So acting like its impossible or improbable is misleading.

I personally think there are some other benefits the dealer gets, like periodic volume-based bonuses, or better position re: getting new models from Honda, etc are somehow compensating these dealers....I find it hard to believe that they routinely "lose money" willingly on deals.....but that said, YES many of us have been getting prices that would indicate a dealer is losing money at least on the invoice and holdback numbers that are available to us.....
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Member Posts: 144
    Are those incentives nationwide? Truecar and USAA buying service say there are no incentives on the Odyssey in my area. Here I thought I was such a smart car buyer.

Now I feel like such a schlemiel! :cry:
  • ksultimateksultimate Member Posts: 9
    I am in the process of purchasing a CPO Honda Odyssey 2009 EX-L model. The dealer is asking for $29,795 for 21,787 miles car. It is clean according to CarFax. The car is located in NJ. I am asking $27,000. The dealer states that will be far below what they paid. Anyone have any suggestions. The condition of the car is good. :)
  • jfn1000jfn1000 Member Posts: 40
    You should be able to purchase a brand new EXL with zero miles and full warranty for just slightly more than the 27k you are offering for the CPO model and less than the dealers asking price for the CPO model. The 1st 27000 miles are the best in my mind, and I would want at least 4,000 discount from what I might need to pay for a new equivalent model
  • ksultimateksultimate Member Posts: 9
    Appeciate the feedback. I am planning to put a lot of miles in the next few years. That is the main reason I am looking into a CPO model. So what you are saying is even $27,000 is high. Also there is another car 2008 EX-L model with Nav and Res and this dealer in NY is asking 28,991. It has 15K miles.
  • eluneelune Member Posts: 2
    This looks like a great offer. What I can get at this moment (Houston) is
    $29,450
    + $339 Trunk Tray, Mud guard, wheel lock
    + $1862 (6.25%) Tax
    + $352 Doc Fee
    = 32,006
    Dealer will do the tint on side and front window for free. do you guys think I shall continue to negotiate?

Thanks,
  • mdx_fan1mdx_fan1 Member Posts: 11
    It still looks higher than a new EXL , seems like from the internet dept , a new 2010 EXL can be had from 28-29K + TTL

To purchase a CPO with 15-20K miles , the deal looks good only if it knocks down 6-7K off of the new price
  • hopeshopes Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2010
    Hello everyone!

This is my first post but I've been reading and learning for months. I really appreciate everyone sharing their advice and experience.

My husband and I are looking at a 2010 Odyssey EX-L with RES and NAVI and with using the "Hogan System" got a dealer down to $33,000 (before TTL of course)and no other dealer says they can beat that. Is this still too high? According to Edmunds...Invoice for this model is $33,695 which makes me wonder if there is still some wiggle room. We will be trading in another vehicle and the Sales Manager has said he can almost certainly say he could get us slightly above KBB on the trade. Of course we have said that we are not certain if we will be trading it in, we own it outright and might just keep it.

Any advice on how to move forward from this point and still get a great price would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    edited April 2010
    What you have is a proposed deal. The trade in blurrs everything. Go to the dealer and see what is what in WRITING. Check previous posts for pricing --- overstock.com shows you got 500 below their best price. If you get a big discount -- don't expect KBB for your trade. The price is decent.
  • geckomangeckoman Member Posts: 9
    Purchased an EX-L with RES today.

MSRP 35,005
    Sale Price 30,210
    Destination 710
    Doc 214
    Tax 1868 (6% Mi)
    Plate 47

Total OTD = 33,049.04

any good?
    The MSRP on this Odyssey EXL is: $34,115

The INVOICE on this Odyssey EXL is: $30,970

Dealer Cash is: $1,250........so $29,720 is COST

If you got it for $27,700.........this would be the BEST deal I have EVER seen. This would be $6,415 OFF MSRP and $2,000 BELOW COST after dealer cash!!!! How can that be possible?
  • ehgieboyehgieboy Member Posts: 3
    I agree with jayrider, Before I purchased mine I did the autobrag where you put your price and they send it to diff. dealers within your zip code. One dealer accepted my offer of $ 32,250 but not including destination charge. I used that qoute and told this other dealer about that price including dest. charge. She called me back and told me she could match it. I also think that it was that last quarter and end of the month deal thats why she gave it to me with that price. I called around and the closest price was around $33,000.
  • massyankeemassyankee Member Posts: 9
    The dealers obviously earn money by other means from Honda corporate than just the holdback everyone now knows about. I wouldn't believe the 'dealer' cost any more than MSRP...it's just a number to help frame their argument for what you should pay and make you feel better about getting a 'deal'. What we don't know exactly is the overall incentives to move inventory by a certain date, etc. HOWEVER, on a board such as this one can more easily see regional and national trends...and prices are definitely trending to $2-3k below dealer invoice.

I purchased my new EX-L on 3/26 for $27,900...and that was the price they gave me via email with no negotiation. (plus $710 destination and $299 document fee along with MA state tax).
  • massyankeemassyankee Member Posts: 9
    Agreed...the prices on used ones didn't seem to be coming down to match the most recent incentive pricing, which is understandable. We went with a new EXL as we figured we'd be driving it for the next 7-8 years, so for a few grand more we got something with 25k fewer miles and 3 years newer (and in the color we wanted, etc. etc.).
  • satishmsatishm Member Posts: 23
    edited April 2010
    yep: MSRP: 41,465 and got cap cost of $35,980 today with no cap cost reduction on a 2010 Touring (has RES and NAV). = $5485 below MSRP. Close.
  • kate41kate41 Member Posts: 3
    Ok - please don't laugh at this one. Traveling on Easter Sunday in my 2003 Honda Odyssey (120,000 miles on it), transmission goes out, car is dead, and it will cost 4500 to fix. So, start looking into purchasing 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L with Rear Entertainment & Navigation System in West Virginia. Here are the figures, and it includes the trade in on my 2003 Honda - what do y'all think, how bad of a deal is this since it includes my trade in?
    Base Price: 31,500 (reflects deduction for trade in)
    document fee 125
    tag fee 5
    title fee 5
    lien fee 10
    CVR fee 38.50
    taxes (6%) 1584.95
    "security device" 49
    OTD with new 2010 Odyssey (and without the 2003 Odyssey) 33,322.45
    Interest rate is 2.9 for 60 months; 1.9 for 36 months
    I know this can't be great from reading some of these entries, but I am in a bit of a bind with my nearly worthless trade in sitting down in another state at the moment. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks
  • micarshoppermicarshopper Member Posts: 1
    Seems decent to me based on quotes I've been getting in MI over the past month. Where did you purchase?
    I think the MSRP on the EX-L is 33400 (you may have counted the destination in yours to make it to 34200).

Also, the invoice price is not the dealer invoice. If the invoice is around 2K lower than MSRP, the dealer invoice is lower than the invoice price of the vehicle by roughly another 2k. WIth the incentive and holdback accounting for 1750, you will get:

33400 - 1250 - 500 - 2000 (invoice) - 2000 (dealer invice) you get it in the 27650 range.

When we bought it, the dealer had 11 EX-L in stock. Sometimes, those contribute to their desire to get it sold as well.

Sri.
    edited April 2010
    You need to add $710 destination charge to the $27,700 ($28, 410)

Our EX-L van in OH on 3-31-10 was purchased for $28,510 + TTL. Deals were out there in March, don't know about April yet.