Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• oagrdroagrdr Posts: 2
    What anafe fails to recognize is that the MSRP of comparably equipped GM, Toyota, and Chrysler minivans is, on average, 29-31K, and invoice is 26-28K, the same as the MSRP of the Odyysey EX.

So you can pay "invoice" on a Toyota or GM, etc., and still be paying the same as MSRP on an Odyssey.

Noone pays more for an Odyssey than they do for a comparably equipped van from another carmaker, invoice or not. It amazes me how some people can't figure that out.

For me, driving what is now generally recognized as the best minivan in the world makes the price less relevant, but knowing I didn't pay more than anyone who bought a GM or Toyota at "invoice" makes it even nicer!
  • jph4jph4 Posts: 2
    I PUT DOWN A DEPOSIT FOR A 2001 ODYSSEY LAST FRIDAY AND RECEIVED IT THURSDAY. I PAID 26,006 FOR THE LX PLUS KEYLESS ENTRY AND MOONROOF. THIS PRICE DOES NOT INCLUDE DEALER HANDLING. THE MOONROOF IS WONDERFUL. IT SEEMS TO BE VERY HIGH QUALITY ALTHOUGH IT HAS BEEN SNOWING SINCE I PICKED IT UP!! I LOVE MY NEW HONDA!! GLAD I DIDN'T GO WITH THE TOYOTA.
  • In post #194 above, anafe wrote the following:

"I never said that my SUV or minivan were domestic
    products but you have obviously assumed as much. I
    can tell you right now that they are not."

However, on the same day, in post #86 in the "Odyssey vs. Dodge Caravan" forum, anafe wrote the following:

"I've owned a 96 Grand Caravan ES with the 3.8
    liter engine since October 95. I purchased it with
    the trailer towing package. I've used it to pull
    two boats and a tent camper all weighing in excess
    of 2700 lbs. I've never had any problems with it
    and still own it. It's been an awesome product with a lot of versatility. One other thing I like about Chrysler is that they are the innovators in thismarket. Honda and everyone else just does a good job of copying what they have developed."

Since more than one individual cannot have the same username, in my opinion, anafe is a liar and a fraud.

Am I wrong? Any comments?
  • anafeanafe Posts: 5
    Did you ever hear of multiple people sharing or using the same work computer. I don't have to justify anything to you or anyone else. You might want to rethink any issues before you make accusations about fraud or someone being a liar. You just make yourself look like a fool.
  • dyer4dyer4 Posts: 1
    We just had a pleasant dealer experience at Hansel Honda in Petaluma CA. Our salesman was Tim Scriven -- nice, honest, not pushy at all. They delivered our Honda weeks before we expected and Tim stayed in contact with us throughout the whole process. He even came in on his day off when we came to pick up the vehicle. They were also the only dealer in the Bay Area who allowed us to test drive a model.
  • chip28chip28 Posts: 11
    OUCH! That has to hurt! Sorry kipple23, but I was impressed by your investigation.
    anafe: Please do all of us a favor and tell us what brand of autos you do in fact own. Obviously, you have an issue with Honda (particularly the Odyssey).
    Maybe your time would be better spent on a consumer watchdog site as the whole "ripped off Ody owners" is getting old.
    However, this is a free country, so speak your peace in whatever site you wish.--Happy Ody buyer!
  • Just bought our new Ody for 300 under MSRP at Courtesy Honda in Memphis. I'm fairly sure if I was willing to wait a year, I could get a bigger discount, but fact is, if you are happy with the deal you got, than you got a "good" deal. There will always be somebody somewhere that pays less for it than you or I did, and I will be "dad-gummed" if I'm gonna get so wrapped-up in the numbers that I forget the that the whole point is to get a good, reliable vehicle, at a manageable price. It is sorta like when I lived overseas and would go bargaining at the market. As sure as I came back with a handful of goodies, I would find someone who paid half what I did for twice as much! I learned to stop checking around, and be happy with my deal. If you believe you got a good deal, than you got a good deal. Maybe naive, but it sure makes life more enjoyable!
  • Thanks for the tip on the 2001 SS EX-NAVI at Metro Honda. I'm flying down from Northern California on Sunday to pick it up.
  • ustinyustiny Posts: 6
    I just ordered an Odyssey EX at MSRP and zero dealer prep. Total price is 26840. I looked at the Toyota Sienna, Dodge Grand Caravan, Nissan Quest, Mazda MPV, and Ford Windstar. Now personally I had a tough time battling myself to pay list price. It is something I had never done before and I was totally against in principal. I also have a buddy who owns 2 Toyota dealers where Icould pick up a Sienna for $300 over cost. But after looking at all these vehicles I tryed to pick out what served my needs best. The Sienna and MPV were lacking on interior room, especially the cargo area with all seats in the proper position. You could not fit more than 4-5 people in these vans with cargo. The Dodge and Ford had more room, however I really do not like to buy domestic because of the slaughter you suffer on resale value. So we narrowed it down the Toyota and the Honda. Although I could get a great deal on the Toyota, the bottom line price I paid to equip it like the Honda would have still come out near $28,000. I would of had to go with the LE and add a ton of options or go for the XLE. So after careful consideration I justified paying list price by assuming the following. I said to myself if I put all of these minivans mentioned above together and equipped them all identical and knew I had to pay $28,640 for any one of them without knowing the invoice or list price which one would I buy. The answer was clearly the Odyssey. So Anafe get over your hang up about paying MSRP.

On another note I own a 1998 Honda CRV-EX. When I bought that vehicle these babies were also going for MSRP. I was able to get mine at $1000 off MSRP and paid $20,500. The vehicle is 30 months old and has 48000 miles on it. I just sold it for $16,000. So I did not get slaughtered on resale value as you stated earlier Anafe. Even if I would have paid MSRP at $21,500 like most folks did, a $5,500 depriciation for 30 months and 48,000 miles is pretty damn good in my book. So put that in your pipe and smoke it.
  • It is a violation of Edmunds User agreement for different individuals to post under the same user name. Each user must have their own identity. Perhaps you and your "work group" (yeah-right!) should re-read that part of the agreement.

Nice try.
  • Glad to hear you got it. Now, if you come across a White EX, please let me know
  • gil14gil14 Posts: 3
    I thought I'd be ordering a 2001 LX at MSRP at Pace Honda/BMW, New Rochelle, NY, this morning, but when I called last night I was told they are now getting 500 over MSRP for 2001's, with no mandatory options, and no games with a waiting list of 3-4 months. So am back to searching for a deal at MSRP (or less). Those Ohio and Indiana prices I've read about sound great, but that's a bit further than I'd like to travel. Can anyone recommend a dealer in the NY/Connecticut area?
  • On the Honda board you complain about Hondas and say you don't own a domestic minivan, while on the Caravan board, you complain about Hondas and say that you own a '96 Caravan.

Then, when challenged about your contradiction, you imply that there are mulitple users sharing a your computer and logging onto Edmunds and posting under the same name - "anafe".

Does anyone else believe this guy?
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    Come on guys, play nice! All of this is not helping any current, new or potential owners and that is the purpose of this topic.

Anafe, if you feel that the Odyssey is not worth the money, then simply don't buy one. I think that everyone here is clear about your feelings by now, okay?

According to the Townhall user agreement, you agreed to use one consistent login identification name within Town Hall because it is important to the Town Hall community that you maintain a consistent identity.

If you are unclear as the specifics of this agreement, please click here to review it again.

Thanks all!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • I didn't mean to come across as 'nasty', but this guy was such an obvious fraud, it brought out the "Joe Friday" in me. I promise no more Dragnet on this board!

If it would only quit raining, I wouldn't spend so much time on the dang internet...but then I probably never would have caught this type of nonsense!
  • MSRP is merely a SUGGESTED price from Honda. This means that the dealerships can sell cars any way they want. Unfortunately, with Odyssey being so popular, dealers see a chance to make more $$$ than ever. Yes, I'm still kicking myself for paying a few hundred bucks more than I should have. But, c'est la vie. It could have been a lot worse.

Before you add on any of the accessories, be sure to call the parts department and ask them how much each piece is. That is when I found out my dealership was not being honest about the price. How can you have two different prices for the same piece of equipment within the same dealership???
  • alingaling Posts: 598
    Thanks Sara! As Karen said, it's pleasant when
    everyone behaves, plays fair, and stays on the topic in question. I hope that everyone else will co-operate. This topic has been very informative so far (after all, we're on the 7th iteration!), despite the little bumps on the "road".

Forget the rain, send some snow over my way please :-)

Best of luck!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference

P.S. Karen, the scribbled posts above were mine.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,032
    ...Drew.

KarenS
    Vans host

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    want snow, move to Mich. upper pen. They got 10 to 18 inches last night.
  • kelsenkelsen Posts: 10
    I picked up my car for MSRP ($26880) in Montgomery, AL. The tax is 2.9%; I know that varies from state to state, and I think it's fairly low here. I also bought (with no choice in the matter) the $89 pinstriping and the $259 'weatherproofing', or whatever they refer to this pack as. I consider it a good value for the price, and essentially agree with those who point out that the ultimate cost compares very well with that of the products selling for "$500 over dealer invoice". That said, I don't think that the dealer has earned or deserves to make $3700 profit for their part in the transaction. Like most of you, I gather, the salesman didn't have to make the sale to me. C'est la vie, however, and I'm pleased with my vehicle. I guess I'll call it Space...;^)

Dave Kelsen.
  • I went to Valley Honda in Naperville, IL. back in June and there was a 2+ month wait for an Odyssey but we didn't want to order and wait and didn't need it right away. Long story short - we needed one since our 130K Plymouth Voyager was biting the dust very recently. It is a new dealership so Honda gives them "Extra" Odysseys occasionally. I called on Thursday found they got in an extra EX and I picked it up Friday night. Did I get every extra option there was even though I didn't really want them? You betcha - but I haven't found an option I don't like. I would not have got the NAV option myself but now that I have had it for 2 days I wouldn't be without it! It is unbeleivable the amount of info in the database - even little local restaurants, rivers, parks, even railroad tracks. Did I pay alot more than I wanted to? Sure, but I got a great Van without waiting as I didn't have the time to wait. Do I feel like I got taken to the cleaners? Not really. I would not have ordered all the extras but I bet I will enjoy them and over time the money is not as critical as getting a great van.
  • rictomrictom Posts: 76
    Considering my dealer sticker on the lx was 257xx, which I'll agree is ridiculously high over msrp and I ended up buying the 2000 for 23400 (msrp I believe) + $78 license including keyless remote and cargo net I'm satisfied. I could have bought a 2001 lx for 24700 including keyless remote and cargo net + $78 license but the differences between the 2000/2001 weren't worth $1300 to me. Hope that helps someone.
  • A week or so ago, we were waiting for delivery of our long awaited van. This one was a 01 SS Ex. The dealer's driver had driven it more than 250 miles just to total it practically at our door step!. Well they worked with Honda to get an emergency replacement vehicle. This time they will get our preferred color - GG.

Since then the bank my husband works for was purchased and now job security is an issue. He asked me to cancel the van, which I did. Then my incredibly reliable 91 Honda Civic broke down. This was enough to convince him that we really did need a new vehicle! Whew! I was sweating that one. So, it looks like I get my new van sometime next week!
  • Well they say it comes in 3's...
    you had your 3, now it is going to
    be nothing but good luck... you'll get
    your (1) "brand new van" (2)"in your color",
    your (3)"husband will get a promotion and more loot"
  • I put down the $500 deposit for my 2001 EX, GG, last night. I have to wait for 3 to 4 months. Now I am looking in to extended warranty, rust proofing and interior protection packages. Can any one tell me how much they paid for the extended warranty, and from whom they bought it? On rust proofing did you get it at Ziebart, or Honda. Which is better?

Thank you.
  • tsjewantsjewan Posts: 13
    I admit I have no personal experience with "post-factory" rust proofing, either from Ziebart or anyone else. However, I've always read in Consumer Reports as well as Edmunds and other car Web sites and magazines, "Don't get the rust proofing" (or at least don't pay for it, getting it thrown in free might be o.k.). Sometime in the past I'd heard that imperfectly applied rust proofing can actually cause a car to rust FASTER, because of trapped moisture or something-- not sure if this is a real possibility. I do know someone with a friend who owns a rust proofing business, and the guy I know says his friend laughs about all the fine print in the contract that makes it VERY difficult to ever collect on one of the rust proofing warranties. For one thing, you generally have to come in during some small window of time once per year to get them to check everything out-- miss that checkup and the warranty is voided. I live in an area (MN) with heavy winter road salt usage, and recent-model cars don't seem to have nearly the rust problems that cars from 20 years ago experienced. Just my opinion, but I'd save my money on the rust proofing.

MSRP issue: I won't comment directly on the seemingly-departed "anafe" and his MSRP-phobia, since he's been officially reprimanded already. But here's my take on it: I've recently been shopping the Twin Cities seriously for Siennas and Odysseys. I've read lots of Internet material, bought Consumer Union's customized price report on the Sienna, have 2 friends who have recently bought both vehicles ( that is, one bought Sienna last month, and one bought Ody last year), etc. After coming close to equalizing equipment on Sienna vs. Odyssey LX, the price is darn-near identical, AFTER I cut what looks to be my best-possible "deal" on the Sienna in this market-- $350 over invoice. When I say "equalizing equipment" I mean adding traction control (not even available yet according to local Toyota dealers, but $440 invoice when it becomes avail.)to Sienna LE trim line (middle of their 3 trim lines). Sienna LE comes with single-CD and keyless entry; but Ody LX comes with body-color bumpers and the magic seat. I'd give the edge there to Honda. The dull-gray bumper covers on Sienna LE look chintzy to me in a car stickered at over $26K; whereas I can add a great CD later for pretty cheap, and I can also add keyless remote for $160 if I want to tackle the job myself (looks fairly involved though). 3rd seats in Sienna come out easily and you can remove only one unlike Ody-- but like most people, I'll still prefer "magic" seat. Bottom line including destination comes to $24,340 for Ody LX and almost to the dollar the same for Sienna LE. Given that, I'll take Honda for slightly better crash ratings and all seating positions having headrests and 3-point seatbelts, the EBD enhancement to ABS, the nice "well" for grocery bags with 3rd seat up, and between-front-seats retractable table. While making the decision, we purposely ignored considerable extra space in Ody, because my wife and I decided Sienna would be "big enough" for our family-- yet I'll say that AFTER deciding on Ody, with equal price and gas mileage, "I'll take the extra space".

Anyway, we'd have paid MORE for Windstar, Silloutte, or new 2001 Grand Caravan in similar trim line to Ody (as someone noted, it takes a scientific study to figure out what trim line makes sense with Dodge-- a plot IMO to confuse and thus screw buyers)-- after cutting our "best deal" on any of those. Given this, paying MSRP for Honda becomes a non-complaint, and I say that while admitting that when I first looked at Ody, I was put off by the prospect of MSRP. If Honda chooses to price their vehicle so as to let their dealers make MORE money while Honda Corp. makes LESS, what difference does it really make to me? Either that or Honda's factories and such are just so much better and more efficient that they can put out a better product for less money. Again, no diff. to me. Buy Windstar, Dodge GC, or Sillouette instead and have the dealer make little but Ford, DC, or GM make a ton-- how is that better? In some ways, one could argue, "it's nice to keep more of the cash in the local community".

I don't know if it's the "best minivan" out there, that depends on how much you value some of the plushness and bells-and-whistles features of some other vans vs. Ody's space, technological innovation, expected reliability, and resale value. AND--sorry "anafe"- Ody's moderate price for what you get, even at MSRP, compared to other vans. I feel the Ody is "fair stickered", basically, kind of like Saturns.

An LX in our first color choice (mesa beige) is supposed to arrive for us in late Oct/early Nov. for $24,340 with no dealer add-ons. I'm kind of holding a "believe it when I see it" attitude; but if it happens, it was fairly easy for us-- only visited 2 area Honda dealers after first pricing out Sienna. First one puts a MINIMUM of $900 (plus tax) of dealer fat on ALL LX's they get in, but they seemed like the best bet since they could guarantee December production which others I called would not/could not. Then I called a leasing service through my employer, he contacted a dealer I hadn't talked to yet, who called back 2 hours later to say he would have the no-options beige LX for regular sticker. (We are buying, not leasing; but this lease outfit performs a "finder" service for employees where I work.) I made a deposit (refundable) right away. We go out for a test drive in an EX this week, I'm sure I'll like the ride and handling but that way I can compare the one we're getting to at least one other Ody before accepting delivery, instead of having "our's" be the first one I've ever driven.

Sorry for length of this post-- felt I had to get some opinions out, since I've been reading here for so long! Thanks to all other posters for their experiences and advice, all of which has helped me in various ways.
  • rictomrictom Posts: 76
    I enjoyed your post. You phrased the argument between Sienna and Odyssey very well. For me it was also either the Sienna or Ody, and all things being more or less equal between them, the magic seat is what did it for me. I knew I'd have that seat in the hidden position more than not and I don't care how easy it is to remove a third seat, you still have to remove it and store it somewhere.
    I also agree the reliability of either the Toyota or Siena make it a better choice than all the bells and whistles on the others. I personally will look to see how many posts there will be on the DC new power tailgate....
  • Boy, I sure hope you are right about all good luck from here. A promo would be great, but it would probably also mean a move to Minnesota which we have staved off several times. If we do have to move, at least our Ex will have traction control for those snowy roads!!
  • Don't know what state you're in, but here in Calif. you sign something, they better had given you a copy... tis the law!
  • I think you answer your own question in your post. If it quacks like a duck, it probably is a duck....if it seems like you're being taken for a ride, you probably are...

I would have been loathe to provide them a deposit without written documentation as to its refundability. As if they weren't in the driver's seat enough, being the holders of the anointed Odyssey's, now they have 1,000 of your hard-earned dollars!

A little less emotion and a lot more common sense would probably help anyone who is looking for an Odyssey....just my .02