Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• bsumardibsumardi Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy Ody EX-L preferable with NAV. I live in Atlanta and wondering if I can get invoice price and 0% deal altogether. Today I got offer EX-L from Curry drive out 28800 with 0% for 4 yr. Tax is 7%. Any advice whether this is a good deal? I am sorry - I am new to this and just come accross this board.
    Thanks in advance for any advice
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    i see there is no end to honda's foolishness and what they try to get away with.. that said, any dealer who runs that crap about paying m.s.r.p for a oddy and then you can get o finance is a crook dont ever due buiness with that dealer... if i was in your shoes i would post the name of the dealership and city who ran you that nonesense... most honda dealers are full of crap and need to be exposed.. there is no reason to ever step foot in any honda dealership unless your picking up your ride.. all the leg work should be done over the internet and phone it's quick, easy,and hassel free.. thats how we weed out the good dealer's from the full of hot air dealers....good luck

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• willbuysoonwillbuysoon Member Posts: 1
    Brian - $2000 below MSRP on EXL-RES at Mahwah Honda.
  • cdfwifecdfwife Member Posts: 37
    Can't seem to link to your email even though I am logged in, so please, can you email me with your experience? Looking at trading my Ody in for a Pilot. Ody was great, just looking for something that is not a van! At 95,000 miles, it is timw to retire te old gal.

What do you think it will cost to ship from Ohio to CA??

FYI, I am in SOCAL and Odysseys are now a dime a dozen, tons to be found, good time to buy.

Thanks!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    thanks for the heads up on mahwah honda.. i will try to squeeze them and see if they can earn my buiness...

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• lapvnlapvn Member Posts: 455
    I am glad to hear that some of you are getting deals now. I've contacted D&C Honda before, and also Mahwah Honda, and both treated me like I had three heads on my shoulder. Granted my deal was back in March, but it was for 1 deal of 3 Odyssey's. Sussex Honda wasn't bad, he was willing to deal, but just couldn't come close to what we wanted.

I would love to talk to those same salesrep who said that I was crazy for asking such a discount for an Ody, and that it would NEVER go below MSRP. hahahaha

CONGRATULAIONS to all new owners, you will love this car.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Good point on the 0%. It sounded like the local dealers' group was doing the 0% on their own and basically they were buying down the interest rate. As such, they couldn't do both that and invoice price without losing money on the deal.
  • dako_tiandako_tian Member Posts: 298
    Well, at
    http://www.hondacars.com/landing.asp?bhcp=1&BrowserDetected=T- rue
    and then clicking on "Current Offers" you will find some, but they are all on Civics and Accords.

FWIW
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Incentives are hard to keep track of and sometimes they are regional (meaning Edmunds wouldn't necessarily hear of them). I suppose a dealer could put a model on sale and call that an incentive on their web site too.

Please report back when you hear more.

Steve, Host
    Hmmm, cheap gas and 0% on Odysseys. N. Georgia may just be the place to be, and if you buy a new one there, you can fill it up with bargain carpet for the drive home too!

Steve, Host
  • rbell2rbell2 Member Posts: 180
    I live in Memphis, TN and am looking at buying an Ody out of state to get a better price (Carr's Honda in Chicago). The TN dealers are supplied Ody's from the Honda plant in Lincoln, AL. My understanding is that other Ody's are made in Ohio and Canada. Have any of you heard of varying quality issues related to the specific manufacturing locations for Ody's? The AL plant is the most recent so they are less experienced but may have better technology. Just curious if anyone had heard of problems specific to one manufacturing location versus another.
  • robsdad1robsdad1 Member Posts: 31
    rbell2
    Purchased our Ody from Carrs on 6/18/03. Mfg.in Alabama. Have 1500 miles on it and no problems of any kind.

fyi
  • antsinpantsantsinpants Member Posts: 4
    Just bought an EX-L w/RES. $500 over invoice. I probably could have done a little better if I pushed, but wasn't expecting them to accept that offer, so I took it. Seemed like a fair deal to me. they had about 20 odyssey's in stock. Plenty to go around in Southern Calif now. One Email, One Call and deal was done.
  • ruthy3ruthy3 Member Posts: 1
    We wanted to take time to thank you for all the great information listed on this site. We live in Western PA and just purchased our 2003 Odyssey EX-L from Honda East located in Cincinnati, OH. We saved over $1,500 from the BEST deal we were offered in Western PA area. We used information posted on this site to make our offer (which Honda East came very close to matching). I gave them my word that I would not post the price I paid on the internet, but if you live in Western PA, it is definitely worth contacting them via email. It seems as though the dealerships in Western PA can still afford to charge high prices due to supply & demand.
    BTW, They offered an option to ship the vehicle to our house on the back of a flatbed truck for $450.
  • vfernvfern Member Posts: 1
    Thanks to everyone for relating their experiences and wisdom on this board. We used the information to help decide which Odyssey model we wanted, what price we were willing to pay, and to decide whether or not to get an extended warranty.

My husband and I just bought an LX for $350 over invoice at Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance. I have to say though, that I doubt the invoice price is really what the dealers pay (besides their incentives, etc.) We sent about 18 e-mails to local dealers and charted the responses/prices. This dealer went the lowest via e-mail, and then we were able to get a better discount while visiting their no-pressure Internet department. All in all it was a fast, pleasant experience. I haven't seen much about LXs on this board, and the dealers claim there aren't many around, but this dealer had one in the color we wanted. We decided against the EX with the power sliding doors, etc. because the power features seem like break-downs waiting to happen.
    Hope this info helps somebody too.
  • mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    I just got a follow up call from a sales person at Gwinnett Place Honda. She tells me 0% has been extended through July 12th. Also, she says no movement off MSRP because, as an earlier post suggests, the dealers are buying down the interest rates. She said "so you're saving like $3,000 in interest". Thanks, I can do the math. What about the 7% sales tax on the difference between MSRP and a fair price (Invoice + 500 or less)? I suspect if I show up Saturday a.m. with checkbook in hand at one of these North Georgia dealers, I could get them to move 1 - 2k off MSRP and still get the 0%. Did anybody else actually buy in the area under the 0% offer?
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    mbeskind and jminor,

for what it's worth:
    while i can't remember ever hearing of a 0%APR offer where a customer wasn't forced to make some tradeoff between the financing "deal", and price of the vehicle; it would seem to me the details are important..

my suggestion, well this is what my wife and I did, we set up an excel spreadsheet with line items for each portion of the potential deal's details from a number of dealerships (one "deal" per column): quoted sales price, options(if any), fees, tax, total, and then downpayment, amount financed, interest rate, term/length in months, monthly payment, total etc.

I hope this is OK to mention: you can find a good example of this on the site carbuyingtips.com if you aren't familiar with Excel's PMT function for calculating the monthly payments and total interest paid.

if you don't have Excel, you can still use various on-line loan calculators for the payments/interest part of the exercise.

we looked for the best "out the door" price. what we found was some interesting variability with respect to fees amongst the various dealers contacted...

what's a car at invoice (or invoice+500, or whatever is your magic number) if the out-the-door price is high because the fees are high?

by the same token, what good is the 0%APR, if in the end, that interest "savings" is offset by a higher price of the vehicle, and your bottom-line final total spent to acquire the vehicle is potentially higher?

the nice thing about using a tool like Excel is you can compare all these scenarios side-by-side and see how one dealer's offer really stacks up against another's.

another benefit of this approach is you have a very solid mechanism to prep yourself to recognize any discrepancies in the buyers agreement before you sign, or in the financing you end up going with before you sign there.

the numbers should match. there should be no surprises.

regards.
    There's a "Low APR vs. Cash Back" calculator here too (link), but this stuff makes my head swim. If you drive them forever, you can just pay cash every 10 or 15 years (I can just hear the "put your money to work" comments now <g>).

Steve, Host
    steve you're funny! i think you like to stir the pot alot. ;)

jminor: we expended significant amount effort getting a number of dealers to explicitly detail all fees so we knew what the vehicle would really cost us.

the exercise was worth it.

we ended up purchasing an LX from a dealer that provided the numbers we asked for, on a vehicle they had, with fees that seemed reasonable.

you may have come up against this: "we can get it but it might have other stuff on it...we'll reveal what it cost us"...

so for the LX, you might want to visit www.handaccessories.com or www.hondaparts4you.com to get an estimate of the value of the "options" (to you) if say you went and got them yourself. specifically: roof rack, cargo tray, splash guards, keyless entry etc.

regards.
    Nah, I just like to stir the pot a little ;)

I've only purchased 4 cars since 1982, and haven't had a car payment since '83. I'm funny that way... maybe if I could do math I could figure out payments, ROI or leasing.

Steve, Host
    So you're doing all this research and you're going to wait. Nice.

And, I thought waiting till month & qtr end was controlled. Waiting perhaps for month & yr/model end might be more controlling. Very nice.

The keyless looks like a really fun project.

Steve, know of anyone who's installed the keyless option?

BTW - You don't need to know math (if you have Excel). ;)
    User777, I can find quite a few posts in the "main" Honda Odyssey and in the archived Honda Odyssey - Aftermarket accessories discussions about putting one in, but only one message off-hand where someone actually did it:

hoss02 "Honda Odyssey - Aftermarket accessories" Aug 10, 2002 5:25pm

I haven't seen Hoss around for awhile; I'd post the question again in the main discussion and see if you get any more info.

And you may want to ask in Honda Odyssey Club-Options & Aftermarket Accessories too, although the issue has rarely come up in there.

You know about the Discussion Search box that lets you find messages with "keyless" in them I guess.

About Excel, that's the reason I like MS and Bill Gates so much. I lost tons of work messing around with Lotus 1-2-3 back when you could quit the program and it wouldn't ask you if you wanted to save first.

Steve, Host
    Thanks for the advice on the interest rate vs. prices. We're a 2 CPA household so you can bet we've got Excel spreadsheets coming out our ears, but for those less, umm, geeky, those links are handy.
    Jminor - we're on the same page. Take a look at my postings on the Quest board following my test drive.
  • yoonparkyoonpark Member Posts: 4
    Hello, I'm new here and need some advice.
    I'm trying to deal EX with a dealer. His offer was drive-out price just over $26K including 5 year/100mile/50 warranty. I asked for 7 year warranty. But, he keep saying that it's about $1500. Is it a good deal? Do I really need extended warranty?
  • dave2003dave2003 Member Posts: 17
    Is it a good deal?

No. The 7 year, 100k mile Honda Care warranty, with a $0 deductible, can be had for as low as $900.

Do I really need extended warranty?

Only you can make that determination. Get as much information as you can, factor in your comfort level, and make your own decision.
    Sorry for the confusion!
    I wanted to ask whether the dealer's offer for the car including 5y/100k/50 warranty (final over $26K) was good or not.

And, can I purchase the warranty seperately somewhere else?
    "I wanted to ask whether the dealer's offer for the car including 5y/100k/50 warranty (final over $26K) was good or not."

Where do you live? How badly do you want/need a new Odyssey EX? How soon do you need a new van? What's the supply/demand situation like in your area? How many vans does the dealer have on the lot? How quickly does the dealer sell them when they come off the truck? Are there other dealers in your area that have inventory available? What's the exact "drive-out price" you're being offered? Is this on a plain EX with nothing else (no leather, Navi or RES, no dealer installed options) besides the extended warranty? What is the sales tax where you live? What other state mandated fees must you pay? All of these things, and more, will factor into whether the dealer's "drive-out price" is good or not.

"And, can I purchase the warranty seperately somewhere else? "

Yes. The Honda Care warranty can be purchased from any Honda dealer that will sell it to you; it doesn't have to be bought from the same dealer that sells you the van.
    Well... Too many factors... I think that I was too naive to start a deal, I guess.

I'm in FL. Sales tax is 6%.
    I don't know about supply/demand situation here. However, the dealer have a few Odyssey in the lot. Actually, there is only one Honda in the town where I live. The dealer who gave me the offer is more than 100 miles away. Among several different dealers, he is the only one who gave me that kind offer. The best offers of others was just $500 or $1000 under MRSP. The offer is for a plain EX. The exact drive-out price was $26480.

How badly do I want a new Ody? the sooner, the better.
  • havasu4mehavasu4me Member Posts: 15
    Hi ,I`m near Gainesville,FL. I bought my EX with cloth seats on June 14 after much internet shopping... emailed about 60 dealers from TX to Chicago to FL. Best deal I found in FL was about $2000 below msrp(which is $27,360, I believe.. one from Tampa, one Jax, & one Orlando area dealer).

Don`t know how far you`re willing to travel to get your van, but I`ll tell you what I did.

McDavid Honda in Houston actually gave me the best price at $500 below INVOICE :$24,663-500 =$24,163. But they didn`t have the havasu color I wanted. Found a Havasu blue in Cincinati.

After making arrangements with the dealer, finalizing the price details, including all fees, I got on Orbitz.com and booked a flight from Tampa to Dayton for $136. ,flew there and the dealed sent someone to the airport to pick me up.

Spent about 3-4 hours at the dealer ,as they had to prep the van after I picked out the one I wanted(this was at Honda east in Cincy). Drove back about 900 miles back to FL.

Total price with fees was:
    $24,663 (for van)
    $ 50 (doc. fee)
    $ 10 (temp. tag)
    $ 5 (title fee)

$24,728 (total)

So, depending on how much effort you want to put into it and how far you`re willing to go to pick up your van, you can save a wad o cash. FL prices are still up there like most parts of the country.

You could book a flight to Houston for about $200 and still get it for $24,163 plus dealer fees plus your plane ticket.This was a month ago. Might even do better now.

BTW, I paid sales tax 6% and title transfer/registration fees when I got back to FL.

Good luck.
    Based on the drive-out price of $26,480, the fact that you're in Florida with a 6% sales tax, and that the price includes a 5 year/100k mile/$50 deductible, I would say that you have a very good price. Assuming that you are paying invoice for the van (based on havasu4me's post above, a great deal in Florida), here is the breakdown of the deal:

24,663.00 invoice price of van (incl. dest.)
     1,479.78 6% sales tax on above amount
       337.22 amount remaining to cover extended
                  warranty, doc. fee, other dealer
                  charges and mandatory state fees
    ----------
    26,480.00 your out the door price

I'm making the assumption that the dealer collects the sales tax for the state at the time of sale. If this assumption is incorrect, than all bets are off. Good luck on your purchase!
  • hislanderhislander Member Posts: 67
    Just bought an EX-L in Houston for $25,500. Will pay standard TTL stuff with no other extra fee except doc fee for $50. No trade-in. Will pick up the van in Monday since they have to do a dealer trade ....probably get 3.9% finance with Honda finance too.
    hislander - Sounds like you got the kind of deal I am looking for. I too am looking for an Ody EX-L (beige). Can you e-mail me and give me the details on the purchase (dealership, salesman, etc.). I would appreciate it. You can get my e-mail information from profile.
    dave2003,
    Your assumption was right.
    He was gonna collect the sale tax later.

Thanks for your advice!
    I got my van at David McDavid. You don't have to deal with any specific salesman; just come in and offer them 25.5K and they will take it. Anyway, the other dealer Russell & Smith advertised for 25.55K EX-L in the paper and they are very straight, no gimmick, but I bought at MaDavid because I had been talking on and off w/ the salesman at McDavid and I wanted to give him the business. Anyway, 25.5K is the going rate in Houston. I also got the sandstone color and this color is rare compared with others, I found only two units EX-L sandstone at Gillman Honda when I visited three dealers on this Saturday. Good luck.
    We're probably on the wrong board for this one, but space in either the Odyssey or the Quest is plenty for anything I'd ever be hauling back from Home Depot, etc. Quest's 2nd row fold down (almost flat) much easier than Ody's removable seats. Pacifica is definately lame on usable space. Neat concept, but not too parctical.
    He's trying to buy the Atl Hawks and Thrashers from AOL Time Warner. Rumor is he's $80 million short on financing the deal. We'd all appreaciate if a few more of you would buy some vans from them so we can have a real owner for these teams!
    jminor,
    with you 100% on the LX. we couldn't really justify the other stuff either (even a CD player), but I did want roof rails...maybe reconsidering on the cargo tray of all things.

i was thinking the keyless looked like a wonderful project when the rest of the family were off doing something for a good chunk of time. i'll look at the instructions again. they seemed fairly straight-forward. wish the slider buttons on the remote could be "re-programmed" to do something novel. then, maybe I'd buy it and install it. ;)

it isn't that much of an inconvenience opening the doors with the keys that it even justifies the project, unless you like this stuff, but heck, yeah, if you're in there doing the radio, you've done the hard part haven't you?

interestingly, our insurance agent wanted to know if the option was on the car...hmmm, to read the posts of these EX owners that come outside to see their sliders open (voila) <snip> guess we wouldn't have to worry about that.

hang tight. go for the honda! ;)
    Couldn't tell from earlier post if that was $25,500 before or after destination charge. (Making it a great deal or an even greater deal, depending). Could you post the final drive out figures for us?
    Yes, destination is part of 25.5K.
    No, I have not receive it. They have to do a dealer trade and prep it up for me too. I guess I'll give them a call this pm.
    Break-down of the deal:
    Price: 25500.00
    Sales tax: 1593.75
    Inventory tax: 66.30
    Licence Fee: 59.80
    Title Fee: 33.00
    R&B Fee: 11.50 (I think Road and Bridge, part of registration fee)
    Deputy fee: 5.00 (notary? courrier?)
    Doc Fee: 50.00
    Inspection Fee: 21.75 (2 years)
    Drive out: 27341.1
    To get 3.9%, it requires 20% down with good credit (beacon score=???)
    And that's all. They tried to sneak in Etch fee for 399 but I crossed it out with their agreement.
  • palontspalonts Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an EX-L from a dealer in suburban Baltimore (O'Donnell Honda) for $589 over invoice.

I live in Maryland and emailed about 30 dealers in the MD/VA/PA area asking for their best offer. I received replies from about 1/2 of them. Most of the offers were in the $1500 over invoice range. O'Donnell's original offer was $800 over invoice. I was hoping to get closer to invoice so I tried a couple dealers in Ohio. I received a couple good offers there, the best being from Honda-East in Columbus of $189 over invoice. Armed with this offer (and ready to fly out to Columbus to buy it), I emailed the "local" dealers that I received offers from originally to see if they could come close to this OH offer. Initially, only O'Donnell's was willing to lower their offer (to $589 over invoice). Later, Herson's in Rockville, MD was willing to meet this price but I had already decided to accept O'Donnell's offer. O'Donnell's also threw in a $250 certificate good towards their parts/service department.

I dealt exclusively with the internet manager until I arrived at the showroom. There, I dealt with a salesman who was pleasant and easy to work with.

Feel free to email me if you'd like to know their names.

Thanks to all those that posted information before me. I found it very useful and hope my information can help someone get a good deal on an Odyssey. Happy shopping!
    I just sent my $500 refundable deposit to David McDavid Honda in Houston. Thank you hislander! I got within a few bucks ($160) of your price from last weekend. They are now advertising $3000 off MSRP on any Odyssey in stock, I did a little better than that. I got an EX-L Sagebrush (1 of 5 that color in stock, must not be too popular in Houston). Will pick up during a business trip in about 3 weeks, but it's ready today (I have the VIN number).

Here's the deal:
    $25,660.00 (Vehicle price, incl dest charge)
         67.24 Inventory tax
         21.75 Inspection fee
         50.00 Documentary fee
          5.00 Deputy fee
    $25,803.99 drive out

I'll take care of Sales Tax and Registration when I get back to GA. I'm doing 100% financing at 3.99 through PeopleFirst (see link from Edmunds), unless Honda comes up with something better before I get there.

Happy to provide the sales person's name to those who e-mail me, but as noted above, they are selling all in stock Ody's at $3k off per their web site. BTW, Atlanta folks - 1 way flight to HOU is $92. You can get there by 9:30, have DMD folks pick you up at Hobby Airport, do the paperwork, hit the road, stop for Cajun food in Bayou country, and, hopefully, be home by midnight, 800 miles later.

FYI in 2001 I paid MSRP less $300 for an EX. I'm now paying invoice less $350. What a difference a few years makes!
    Congradulations with your new van. I have not picked up my van, just yet because yesterday they failed to honor the 3.9% deal so I did not sign the paper even the van was ready (with 120 miles !!!! about 40 due to dealer trade. Not bad compared with your 800 miles drive home, right?). They called today and agreed to the 3.9% finance. Will come in tomorrow to look at the paper work before come back after work to close the deal. They tried to sneak in the etch fee at the last minute yesterday even on the original paper I crossed it out and initialed it too.....Anyway, congrats.....Does any one know the monthly calculation using Excel formula was correct? because my numbers using Excel formula don't seem to match with those from the dealer....Appreciate any comment.
    We have some buying/leasing calculators here, including this Basic Loan Calculator.

Steve, Host
  • sikhandasikhanda Member Posts: 4
    I too bought my EX-L-RES about a week ago from David McDavid, Houston. None of the local dealers in Austin were able to match their price, so I drove to Houston and got the van from them. I paid $500 below invoice plus TTL as agreed. No fuss and no hassle. I was impressed very much with the ease with which I bought this car.

Incidentally, when one of my friend who was shopping for a van and was tilting towards Sienna heard of the deal, he decided to come with me. He got the same deal. Both of us got a one way rental car to Houston in the evening and drove back to Austin in our 2 new Odysseys the same night.

If anybody needs the sales person's name, email me.
    That calculator matched with the number from Mr. Gate's formula in Excel. I think the discrepancy between my number and that from dealer is that they used interest compiled daily while we used simple interest compiled monthly. Well I guessed they pulled out all tricks in the books then. Anyway, thanks.
    When you say you got an Ody EX-L RES for $500 below invoice, does that mean you paid $26,900 plus TTL? Did they add any doc or admin fees? Thanks. I am considering making a 500 mile run to Houston for this deal if I can get it also.
  • sikhandasikhanda Member Posts: 4
    Yes, the price was 26860+TTL. The document fee was $50, Service duty was $5, and the rest was title, license and tax. You can (and should) ask for a total drive out price before you head out to Houston.
  • jmpelletjmpellet Member Posts: 19
    I have had no luck with any great (or even good) pricing in the Boston area. I am also willing to go to any nearby state. Please share any recent expereiences in this area. It will be much appreciated!!! I know I not looking at anything like what people are paying in Houston :)
  • med28med28 Member Posts: 17
    Rochester NY is about 6 hrs from Boston and back in April we got a EX-L DVD for $28,200. I can only imagine that there are better deals now. We purchased from Holtz Honda.
  • nj_ody_buyernj_ody_buyer Member Posts: 11
    I am in a situation to sell my 2003 Ody.
    Can I post details here?
    In case some one interested?
    (was not sure if it is allowed or not?)
    thanks