Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Herb Chambers advertised last weekend Odyssey EX-L for $26,600 and EX-L RES for about $28K.
  • Options
    OK - I had the wrap installed and it is horrific. I thought it was a custom fit piece and it is a piece of crap K-mart look product.

Has anyone had a true professional leather wrap put on?
  • Options
    mehulj72mehulj72 Member Posts: 30
    Hi,

This is my first post. My local dealer BernardiHonda.com is selling Honda Odyssey fully loaded for 22500. I'm not sure if it is LX or EX but will check and post update after that. Anyone intereseted can directly contact dealer in Natick, MA (phone number is available on there website).

Best Luck
    MJ
  • Options
    user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    jminor.
    awsome!

so - was it from a metro ATL dealer or Sam's Club?

what's the agreement w.r.t. installed options (if any) when the car comes in, and is/was there any "performance" period w.r.t. delivery? ;)
  • Options
    ;);)

so sam's club huh? so happy 4 you. ...maybe others in metro ATL... we didn't pursue that avenue.

actually - care here w.r.t. "dealer's cost".

i know you're psyched and capable of installing the options yourself. r u going to be able to get the car u want with what u want on it (or not on it as the case may be)?

see - the "dealer's cost" might be above...say the prices from those two web-sites we discussed in an earlier post. and that might be OK, the qn is, how much more than the cost to you? if yours in color x shows up, but dealer's cost is $460 for a $226 roof rack, is that good?

any additional fees in there?

also, what kind of performance on delivery? one week / two? how much of a deposit? what happens if the car doesn't materialize in stated timeframe?
  • Options
    andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    So did you pay $135 for that leather steering wheel wrap?
    Yeah, aftermarket will just never look as good as factory installed.
    So are you going to take it off or what?
  • Options
    meyhoedmeyhoed Member Posts: 1
    jminor, which dealer did you use in atlanta...and can you share via board or email the contact. Please email me. I went thru COstco who referred me to Hennessey in Woodstock who would not budge off 1500 over invoice. Please give more info. We are in metro atl and looking for lx or Ex/l
  • Options
    mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    Jminor- awesome! I hope your transaction goes smoothly.

Other Atlanta folks, don't be afraid to look out of town. The 4 or 5 big dealers in town are all still getting too much from too many buyers for Ody's. I bought my '01 EX in Memphis in Oct 2000 b/c the dealer there was $300 below MSRP and no extra garbage added. My '03 is waiting for me in Houston at $351 under invoice (see post 4389).

How to:
    1. Check this Board for the deals in other towns. Anywhere you can drive in a day or fly for under $100 one way - Nashville, Jacksonville, New Orleans - anywhere Airtran and Delta both fly) Note the fees and extras on the deal sheet, that's where they get you (anybody seen a deal sheet from GP Honda lately - mandatory prep packages!)
    2. Get it all in writing (Your cost + all fees and extras = DRIVE OUT PRICE)
    3. Give your refundable deposit
    4. Call those Atlanta dealers back, show them your deal, and give it one more shot. If they get within about $500, it may not be worth flying.
    5. Call the day before you go to confirm everything
    6. Get a friend or your beloved to drive you there, or, fly one way.
    7. Pick up your new Ody and smile all the way home 'cuz you just saved a grand or two.
    8. When you return to GA you have 30 days to register at your county tag office, then the state will bill you for sales tax (you won't pay any in the other state). That gives you and extra 30 - 60 days float on the sales tax amount.

Happy hunting fellow Odysseyers!
  • Options
    biglelebiglele Member Posts: 3
    I am in Hudson valley region in NY. The best price I got for Odyssey EX was $26K (invoice $24,663). Is this good? Please share recent experience in this area. Thanks.
  • Options
    jminorjminor Member Posts: 13
    Can't access your email so shoot one to me.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please, no ads on Town Hall. Try eBay Motors or one of our partners.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Guys,

I've following data.

Mazda MPV LX
    All Season Package + GFX Package + Power Sliding doors + Traction control will cost around 21200 (due to my company discount).

Honda Odyssey LX
    standard without Power doors is available from local dealer for 22400.

What should I do ? Mazda is having lots of features for some what less money. Whereas Honda has great reputation along with good resale value.

Any idea ? I was previously decided on going with Mazda but after seeing Odyssey LX for 22400 I'm bit confused.

thanks in advance

MJ
  • Options
    msknopfmsknopf Member Posts: 12
    Just went thru the same aggrevation and decided to go for the Honda LX even though paying $3,000 more. The local dealer in NYC couldnt locate the MPV with traction control and the smaller cargo space, less horsepower and general reputation made us gunshy with the MPV (altho we spent about 3 hours at the dealer and they were great and if they could find what we wanted we probably would have pulled the trigger). I made some calls around NYC and westchster and not many Honda dealers had a LX and the ones that did refused to budge off of MSRP, although most were willing to make a deal on the EX for about $1,000 off MSRP, most likely bc there have more EX inventory than LX. I am surprised to hear about the 22,400 quote, where was that from?
    Michael
  • Options
    Michael,

Contact bernardi honda in Natick, MA and you will get LX for this price. I got quote from Nashua, NH of 1500 USD less then MSRP (which is not good price compared to 22499). I think I'll miss sliding doors and power seat on LX compared to MPV.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I am going to keep it on and I paid $119. Best I can tell is that its the same wrap on all the Honda accessories site.

If I had known then I would have bought the wood/leather wheel for $360. I was hoping someone on the board would tell me their experience or offer a better product to look at.

Live and learn I guess. Shame on Honda for not offering it standard on EX and above models as standard equipment.

Hopefully my experience helps others...
  • Options
    garyw,
    is it that it wasn't installed correctly or the quality of the material is poor or both?

this shows the procedure:
    http://www.handaaccessories.com/odyssey/steeringcover.pdf
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    garyw:

I don't know what your leather steering wrap looks like. I bought mine (Honda) online and paid around $40 bucks. Put it on myself. It only took me less than 2 hours. It matches all the spoke look very nice. Granted it doesn't look like those Lexus put on factory stitched. Wheelskin (OEM for Honda) sells different color for Odyssey but the holes doesn't match Odyssey steering wheel spokes.

bjk
  • Options
    nygiants8690nygiants8690 Member Posts: 3
    Need some input.

White 2002 EX-L put in service 8/02 in great condition with 15K miles. They agreed to install a cassette deck and paint pins stripes on it. Drive away price is $24157.00

The other van is a new Sage Brush Pearl 2003 EX-L. Also with cassette deck installed. Drive away price is $26833.00

Which one is the better deal?
  • Options
    new2600new2600 Member Posts: 1
    I just got my odyssey ex from (Houston) Goodson North Honda at invoice price. I have my own finance, however, they didn't give me fair price for my trade-in. I first quote it throught their Internet department, and they are very straight forward.
  • Options
    bsumardibsumardi Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking getting my Ody from dealer in Houston and I live in Atlanta. What should I pay to dealer in Houston? If I pay sales tax there what do I do when I register in Atlanta?
    Any help in this matter is really appreciated.

Benny
  • Options
    What is good site / place to get Honda Odyssey Accessories ?

thanks

MJ
  • Options
    Sorry guys I forgot to say but I bought Odyssey EX from Natick, MA for 25860 + tax + registration. I'm picking up delivery in this week. I want to know where can I get good accessories for steering wheel ?

MJ
  • Options
    ajacat1ajacat1 Member Posts: 87
    We're now considering an Ody EX cloth and wondering if anyone's had exceptionally good price experience with anyone in the Portland/Seattle area, or even eastern or Southern Oregon.

tia--
  • Options
    Just bought mine from Beaverton Honda after 6 weeks of trying every dealer in the tri-state area. No one is discounting very much. I paid $25,800...Captial Honda in McMinville was willing to sell me an EX-L for $26,990 but they had none in stock.

Good luck...if you want me to refer you to Beav. sales rep let me know. He is straight shooter who has been there 7 seven years.
  • Options
    tjowen2tjowen2 Member Posts: 1
    I found a 1999 Odyssey with 119k miles for 10,000 dollars. Does any one have that many miles on theirs? Is it worth it, or should I move on?
  • Options
    I'd like to know that salesman's name. And any details you want to share, e.g. was it end of month, was it on hand or a locate, etc...

thanks very much
    Carolyn
  • Options
    Is it LX or EX ? If it is EX then this is most amazing deal you got.

MJ
  • Options
    Well, we're actually thinking about it, not necessarily doing it.

My question: if a dealer quotes you straight KBB for your car (and you've seen it processed and you know it was entered correctly), is that a decent amount to expect?

I'm asking because Edmunds is so much higher than KBB--if I get only KBB am I getting ripped off?

thanks
  • Options
    tomp711tomp711 Member Posts: 13
    LX
  • Options
    You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but please, no direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information.

And an article of interest:

What is the "Kelley Blue Book" Price?

Steve, Host
  • Options
    bdorbdor Member Posts: 4
    Garyw,

We also have been looking in the PDX area for a few months and you're right. No one is discounting......where are the dealers like the ones in Houston TX where EX-L goes for 25500 +? My bone with PDX dealers is their attitude. Almost like "we sell Hondas, so pi-- off if you don't want to pay full MSRP+" We're not in a real rush, but need to pull the trigger in the next 1-2 months. Do you think any PDX or PNW dealers will begin to move a bit with 04 Sienna's showing up more and more? Not many of the Honda dealers in PNW really have that many Ody's on the lot........
  • Options
    Sorry again Steve for crossing a line I didn't know about--won't happen again...

And re KBB--so with the trade in value, I would assume the obverse would hold of what's in the story--that one could expect to get *more* than what KBB lists as "trade-in value"? This particular dealer's argument was that banks set the trade in prices and that's all they'll go for. I can just say, then, that I'll accept the TMV trade in value and if it doesn't fly then I'll know I should move on?

thanks for any further clarification--trade-in newbie here; and *still* can't decide between Ody (good general all-arounder), Quest (where my heart is), and MPV (where my wallet is)! Thinking of waiting to see the new MPV, but by then the good deals on the Ody will be gone--...of course I could wait for the '05 MPV and and and...
  • Options
    Die by the books. It depends on the part of the country, but lots of banks go by the Nada "yellow" book for values. Go figure.

Best bet for trade-in is to sell it yourself. But that's a lot of hassle and you may not want to meet strangers at the local buy/sell lot (much less your home), etc. The real problem with a trade-in is that there's a glut of cars, new and used, on the market now and used cars prices are dropping.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    or at least that's what they told me. I remember NADA in the east, at any rate.

We don't want to sell--I know it's the best deal but we haven't changed out the timing belt (Camry w/85K), we'll have to put up with people whining about it...although maybe we could give it a shot and if it doesn't work, just sell the car to a dealer? There's no CARMAX around here, unfortunately.

I wonder why there's a glut of cars. Interesting concept. Are people selling more cars than they're buying? Or is it a glut of new cars that's leading to a glut of trade-ins? I'd be interested to hear more.

Re PDX sales: try internet sales at the various dealerships--I just got quoted (I hope this will be o.k. to post--) 1K under MSRP for an EX from Dick Hannah...and waiting for the others to come back too. Beaverton sounds the best, though.
  • Options
    Incentives and low/zero interest rates have enticed a lot of people to buy new or trade up. So they are more used cars out there, and their value has been depressed because you can get into a new car pretty cheaply.

And the manufacturers continue to crank out cars - some say that it's cheaper for the Big 3 to continue current production levels and give big incentives than it is to shut down plants. The reason given is that the Big 3 still have union commitments to make that don't justify shutting down the plants even in the face of over-production.

A lot of these theories may not hold true with Honda and some other import brands, but the glut has still affected pricing across the board.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I am a tough car negotiator...nevery have paid more than invoice until the Odyssey. You are right on, the local dealers stock is low and people are waiting in line for them.

The Sienna is having no impact here. There are so few of them and most Honda buyers are still buying Honda judging by local sales. Making it worse it that the 04's are coming so the 03's are really low in volume.

At least resale value will be high locally. The few used '02 units are so overpriced because those people paid MSRP++.

Just my opinion w/experience but I recommend buying at a price that doesn't make you feel ripped. We happened to get silver which helped.

I also spoke with the Houston/Chicago dealers but shipping killed the deals. About $1200 to Oregon.

All my contacts were internet based until I closed at Beaverton. It made no difference....this includes the Seattle/Idaho dealers. Expect to pay $1000 below MSRP with some work to make it happen.

Hope this helps...
  • Options
    sounds like automotive deflation at work...

thanks for the information. count me in as one of those hordes hoping to move up from our Camry to a van because of low/0 interest financing...
  • Options
    bdorbdor Member Posts: 4
    Thx for the input. Has anyone tried Costco auto purchase program in PNW or elsewhere? I'm wondering if that has any impact on price for Ody?

Drove by B'ton Honda today and didn't see 1 Ody anywhere........Did you have to wait long to take delivery of your silver Ody? I just need to figure how far out from delivery I need or order?

thx again,
  • Options
    related to #4444,

I closed deal for my EX 2003 Silver color yesterday and I'm expecting delivery this week either today or Wednesday. I bought it from Natick, MA.

MJ
  • Options
    mattingamattinga Member Posts: 4
    I test drove a Odyssey and REALLY like it, but I think I like Sienna better. The decision will come down to the better deal between Odyssey Ex vs. Sienna LE. My question with Honda dealerships in general is that of added dealer costs. It seems all Honda dealers I have encountered in the Atlanta, GA area want to add dealer extras such as splash guards, VIN etching etc... Typically, there are 3 or 4 different items that inflate the cost $1200-$2000...PLUS this "admin" fee (which I think is real bull) of $500. This is not restricted to just the Odyssey, but pretty much any new Honda car. I'd like to buy this Honda, but how do I get through this BS? Do any Honda dealerships not do this, and not jerk me around? Does Toyota try to do the same thing?
  • Options
    w902l2w902l2 Member Posts: 1
    Saw the post about looking for prices in Oregon. We just purchased (still waiting for it to come in though) an Odyssey from South Tacoma Honda. They had the best deal by far. About $500 under MSRP. Honda of Fife (ALWAYS arrogant jerks) were asking $5K over MSRP!! SoTac didn't even have any in stock, so we are having to wait about two weeks, but we are getting the exact one we want - Drk Red, EXL with RES. So far SoTac has been very classy, even for a Honda dealer.
  • Options
    jminorjminor Member Posts: 13
    My email is in my profile. Drop me a line. I might have a good reference for you.
  • Options
    jachimjachim Member Posts: 1
    I just closed a deal at Penske Honda in Indianapolis, IN for an EX. Didn't get teh great deals I have seen posted here, but settled for $300 over invoice + tax. There is something to be said for buying local. I did look for the best price within 500 miles and then shopped that to the local dealers. Penske met the price.
  • Options
    Just picked up my Honda Odyssey LX from local dealer in New York. Paid $24,600, with a dealer installed Honda CD player, plus TTR.
    Called about 10 dealers in New York area and most either didnt have LXs (low demand) or wouldnt move significantly off MSRP. None would meet the price offered by my local dealer. Ditto with some of dealers recommended on this board. However, almost all were willing to deal on EXs, starting around 26,500 but LX fit our needs (and auto sliding doors were way too slow).
    My car died and family vacation coming up so needed to move quickly. Overall happy with my Oddy, the dealer and the price.
    Michael
  • Options
    On my new LX the Dealer offered the opportunity to pay for all 36 month regular scheduled service up front for $895 rather than paying as you go, which they estimate to cost approx $1800. Seems like a good deal but I have no idea what 36 months of service should cost. What can I expect to pay for service? Is this a good deal? Thanks in advance
    Michael
  • Options
    You can check The Edmunds Maintenance Guide and add up what we think the various services should cost.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    oakenwidowoakenwidow Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up my Honda Odyssey EX from the local dealer here in MI. Got it at near invoice price (Unfortunately, the purchase agreement did not give the base price they charged for the EX only the total with accessories before TTL,etc)
    Total including 6 Disc In Dash CD, Tow Pkg, Cargo tray, Splash Guards, Door Edge Guards, Air Deflector, and Fender well trim was $26460.24
    The local dealer initially offered me $2000 off MSRP. Went to a dealer 30 miles away and got a better offer (about $300 less) and "at cost" prices on accessories I was interested in. Took this back to the local dealer who said they would match the price. After that I faxed a letter addressed to both salesmen/both dealers telling them the model, accessories, and out-the-door price I wanted and asked them to fax their reply by 5 p.m. the same day. The local dealer gave me the price/deal I asked for. I was THRILLED! Got within $100 of dealer invoice on the base price of the EX!!
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    This has been over discussed in other forums...but..

Many cars just won't bring what the "books" and "The Internet" say they are worth.

One of many examples would be Chrysler/Dodge mini-vans. A lot of these get traded on Odysseys.

Unless they are really something special, I know, we don't want them. We will wholesale these as will many other dealers.

We make phone calls to the wholesalers who are already choking on them. If we get lucky they might offer us 2000.00 below book value.

Not picking on Chrysler mini-vans but they are a good example.

By all means, if you don't like what is being offered, run an ad and try to sell it yourself.

Chances are, the dealer doesn't want it anyway.
  • Options
    scotty99scotty99 Member Posts: 9
    Called Internet Sales Managers in Union, Morris, and Bergen Counties, and wound up with the following:

2003 Odyssey EX-L Sagebrush
    Price: $27,020
    Tax: $1621
    Registration+"clerical": $226

Total: $28,867

I did call McDavid Honda in Houston, they agreed to $25,500 and would ship for $850. However, I got squeamish about what potential issues with damage in shipping, manufacturing defects, etc.

Called the dealer where I test drove the car, and asked the salesman for his best price. wouldn't budge off of $28,500. It pays to pick up the phone...
  • Options
    sepysepy Member Posts: 5
    Got 2 quotes for a Silver 2003 Odyssey EX-L for $25860.00 including destination of $460... you need to pay the tax +lic... if you need more info let me know, I'll give you the sales person info....