Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• pgdavidpgdavid Posts: 1
    Thought I'd better post my experience considering how much I learned from the rest of you.

Had to spend some time on email, phone, and at dealerships to finally get a price we could live with. I had gone in with pretty high expectations based on some of the stories I've read here, but in the end felt we got the best deal for this area, time.

I ended up buying my 2013 Odyssey Touring Elite in Smokey Topaz from Honda of Fife for:

$44,025 Starting MSRP

$38885.25 Base price
    $300.25 Vehicle Tax, License, Title and Registration fees
    $3771.87 Sales Tax (9.7 Yikes)
    $150 Doc Fees (Washington State Cap)

$42,607.37 OTD including $500 flex cash for financing through Honda

Overall, the experience was pretty rough. We went in because we were told we could be close to 40,000 OTD with the trade in of our 98 Honda Civic, but started out the process far from that. I put up as much of a fight as I could, and through our conversations with everyone in the area, felt we weren't going to get a better deal at this point. I don't think there are as many Odyssey's in lots as their used to be so we didn't have as much leverage as I would have liked. I also don't think there is any dealership incentive cash floating around.

I was most disappointed that I couldn't even get them to throw in the protection pack that was already on/in the van. You'd think they could handle the $400 dollar comp at this point but no dice.

In the end, we were pretty much at the internet price we were quoted initially minus the flex cash which was better than anyone else could offer in the color and trim package we wanted.

Hope this helps the rest of you!
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Posts: 108
    Just purchased a new 2014 EX-L here in Northern Virginia. We traded in a 2009 EX-L with RES that had 72K miles. I was unhappy to find that CarMax only offered $14K for the trade when KBB and Edmunds both quoted around $16K.

Anyways, in the end, we traded it in at the dealer. The original offer for the 2014 was their version of invoice $33,300 + $1,500 in dealer adds such as pinstriping, mud guards, wheel locks, etc. They offered $15K for the trade.

After all the haggling, I got the 2014 EX-L for $19K out the door which worked out as follows:

Invoice: $33,300 (MSRP $36,455)
    Dealer Adds: $0 Free
    Taxes: $1,450 (Virginia)
    Tags: $22
    Dealer Processing: $499
    Trade: $16,271
    OTD: $19,000

Seems like I did pretty good for a brand new 2014. I realize I could have done much better on a 2013 but like other people have said, the list of enhancements to the van are pretty extensive for a mid-cycle refresh and I couldn't picture being 4 years or so down the road not having those options on the van.

So, was getting the van for $3,100 under MSRP with free add-ons, and then getting $2,271 in my trade more than what Carmax offered a good deal?

Oh, and during financing, they said that they could only do 3.9% financing because it was a 2014. But then they offered me the exterior and exterior protection package for around $900 and bought down the interest rate to 1.9% for 72 months. The monthly payment actually dropped, which essentially made the protection package free. However, I do wonder if they were just playing games with me and if I could have gotten the 1.9% financing without having to get the protection package. They held firm that Honda Finance wasn't giving financing discounts on the 2014's. Anyone have thoughts on that?
  • brian125brian125 New york / S.C. myrtle beachPosts: 2,764
    You made a good deal getting a 2014 model in july for Invoice price. In addition the upgrade options are a nice touch that you will enjoy.

Penn Fed credit union may still be offering 1.9% for 72 months.

you could apply and pay off the honda loan if higher

2013 Genesis 5.0 R-spec, 2013 Accord EXL V-6, 2012 BMW x-5, 2012 ML350

• ellen24ellen24 Posts: 1
    May I Ask which dealer in Northern VA?
    Thanks!
  • billy3554billy3554 Posts: 148
    It is important to recognize new car dealers do not set interest rates. Interest rates are set by the lending institution and are not adjusted for additonal items purchased by the customer.

When a person decides to buy a vehicle the dealer F&I managers swing into action. They run credit reports and verifications and then contact a financial institution. For top tier customers they already know the information.

The finance institution will inform, or has informed for top tier buyers, the dealer the interest rate for which a customer qualifies along with the maximum dollar amount which will be financed. The F&I person will use those numbers to structure the best overall deal for the dealer.

For example, the financial institution may advise the dealer the customer qualifies for 1.9 percent up to $20,000. An unethical F&I person will tell the customer, he or she may buy the vehicle for $19,000 but at a rate of 3.9 percent.

However, the F&I person will then work magic for the dealer by informing the customer if they agree to buy certain extra products for an additonal $1,000, the amount needed to reach the $20,000 amount the finance institution will finance, the dealer will be able to reduce the interest rate to 1.9 percent.

In such as situation, the buyer believes they got the extras for nothing but in reality the buyer gave the dealer a hefty addition to its profit margin.

If the dealer wrote your contract at 1.9 percent, that is the rate for which you qualified regardless of whether you purchased the extra protection package.

This is why it is always good for a buyer to research financing before they go to the dealer. Such information will usually mitigate financing mischief in the F&I office.
  • jacobi2jacobi2 Posts: 1
    I'm considering pulling the trigger on one but I'm not sure the discount is steep enough.
  • rrbhokiesrrbhokies Posts: 108
    Thanks for the detailed explanation. I agree that the buyer should have an understanding of the finance options before going into their office. I think what may have happened in my case was accidental on their part. After he did the free "maintenance & protection" deal lowering the rate to 1.9%, apparently he was under the impression that I was purchasing a 2013 Odyssey. In that case, indeed, the 2013's should have been eligible for at least 1.9% maybe even .9% in which case he was playing around with the numbers.

However, after he started printing out the finance documents, he went "oh sh#t" and said he didn't realize I was buying a 2014, not a 2013. Then he went on to say that he couldn't offer me the 1.9% financing buy down because there were absolutely no incentives on the 2014's and that I would now have to pay 4.9% for 72 months because that was the best rate that Honda was offering on the 2014's. He offered to remove the maintenance and protection plan, but would have to leave it at 4.9% which jacked up my payments substantially.

I started to make my move to walk away and he called a few people on the phone and then agreed to "eat" the cost and left the deal as is at 1.9% for 72 months with the maintenance and protection plan.

The more I replay that back in my mind and hearing others say that the 2014's don't have any incentive money, the more I think it was a mistake on their part which they ultimately did the right thing and honored the original finance deal. So maybe, I did end up coming out ahead in the end, but only because they made a mistake. Seems like their effort to trick me into buying down the rate backfired only because he truly thought it was a 2013 and not a 2014.

Also, just to clarify, I re-looked at my paperwork. I paid $618 for a 30K Maintenance package that includes all scheduled maintenance through 30K. I also paid $499 for an exterior and interior protection plan that includes a top-coat sealer on the exterior paint as well as fabric and vinyl protection inside the car with a 5 year warranty against scratches, chips, stains, discoloration, etc.

"Buying" down the rate from 3.9% to 1.9% offset the cost of those two plans, essentially saving me $1,100 in interest charges over the 72 months. My monthly payment actually went down $2/mo.

So now I truly feel that I essentially got those two things for free, especially considering I could have been subject to having to pay 4.9% interest on the 2014. Thoughts? Still think it was bait and switch, or did they screw up?
  • It sounds like you got a good deal
  • cmr2cmr2 Posts: 1
    Woodland Hills, CA

Paid $32870 for 2014 Odyssey EX-L. MSRP was $36,455
    +$1117 in accessories, which included $234 installation charges.

Destination,doc,title,Tax were extra.

Dealer tried to add alarm, etch package, protection package but haggled out of them.
  • nautilus1nautilus1 Posts: 4
    Negotiated with several dealers in Houston for purchasing 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring. True Car/Consumer reports suggest $39,900 as target price. MSRP is $42,760. Dealer Invoice $39,104. The best price I could get is $41,000 plus TTL. Walked out of several dealers. Most wouldn't even go below $42,000. In the end, only Gillman Honda would sell it for $41,000. They all looked at Consumer Reports & True Car reports on the pricing & also disclosed to me their invoice. They all said the market is currently paying more for 2014 and therefore stats from true car & consumer reports data are too early to form definitive trends.
    Anyone have any better offer than $41,000 for 2014 Odyssey Touring? Is this a good price? Or Am I paying too much for it?
  • sjjohnnysjjohnny Posts: 4
    41 is too much for a 2014 touring. I am also looking for one and I already have quotes ranging from 800 to 300 dollars UNDER invoice.
  • I see Touring offered at 39,704 on truecar near me in Philly
  • kingmeatkingmeat Posts: 8
    About the same figure in Charlotte, 39,649. $40052 in Atlanta
    Thank you for all your response.
    I'll continue to negotiate and search.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,781
    2014 Honda Odyssey Touring Passenger Van in 40201
    MSRP PRICING:
    $42,710
    Target Price: $39,904
    Pricing as of 7/27/13 in zip code 40201
  • I found the information here helpful, so I thought I would share the stats from my purchase today. The 2013 Odysseys seem to be in short supply, many dealers within a 100 mile radius had 1-2 EX-L (without RES or Nav), there was one dealer in Roseville with 6 EX-L.

Here's what I got:
    28721.61 Cash Price (Including Destination Fee)
    $500 for the interior/exterior fabric protection
    $600 for 3 years maintenance package
    $3075 for TTL + $80 dealer doc fee

Total came to $33887 out the door

The dealer invoice was about $31000 (Maybe 33000, don't remember) on this car, MSRP of 36055. Vehicle also came with wheel locks and door guards.

I sent out an email last night to about 13 dealers, and got 5 offers before noon the next day. I used the lowest offer to get an almost price match at a local dealer with the color I wanted ($250 more than the online offer) This price beat the lowest "TrueCar" price of 30054.

Hope this information helps someone.
  • rangsrangs Posts: 3
    edited July 2013
    HI lornlyturtle ,

Can you tell us if $28721 included the Miltary & graduation incentive of $500 each? also were there any other incentive which was included to get it down to $28721?

Were you able to get it down to $30000 OTD?

thanks-Rangs
    Thanks to all for responding to my thread.
    Just thought I'll give you an update on 2014 Odyssey Touring pricing for the Houston area. Talked to about 6 dealers at length (via email, phone, and also in-person at the showroom) in this area. Even though True Car target pricing for 2014 Odyssey Touring for the Houston area (77002 - 77494) is $39,900 with MSRP of $42,760, no dealer as of now is honoring True Car/Consumer Reports target pricing certificate as of now. Looks like there are only a few Touring models available in inventory and/or en route, demand is high and so Touring models are getting pre-sold at only $500-$700 below MSRP. Maybe these early buyers aren't good negotiators or are not doing their pricing research/homework with true car & consumer reports, etc and making this a dealers market. C'mon Houstonians, wake up ;-)!
  • 28721 did not include either military or college incentives. It didn't include any incentives at all. I got that price by following the process outlined in my original post- emailing many dealers and asking for an offer.

With California TTL fees at about 3000 it would have been difficult to get the car at 30000 OTD.
  • mk2013mk2013 Posts: 2
    edited July 2013
    It's nice forum. Let me give details about my recent purchase

Bought: 2013 Honda Odyssey EX-L RES
    Base: $30000
    Accessories: $165
    Total OTD: 33905
    Bought Extended warranty $100 ded 8y/100K miles for $1300 + tax 91 ( this can be refunded later if i don't like it)

Got the financing for 0.9% for 5y/60m

Purchased dealer in NJ
  • which nj dealer?
  • mk2013mk2013 Posts: 2
    Garden state honda clifton
  • didureloaddidureload Posts: 9
    edited July 2013
    Bought new 2013 EX-L in NJ last evening.
    32k OTD
    probably paid 500$ more than i would have liked; but the dealer wont budge; didn't wanted to wait anymore.
    includes mud flaps, wheellocks, trunk tray.
  • bu96bu96 Posts: 19
    edited July 2013
    I hope someone can help advise if the quote I received is a good deal? I could hold out a few more months if absolutely necessary if it would make a significant difference, but would rather just pull the trigger if savings likely to be marginal. Delivery is in 2 wks.

Break down as follows:

Van: $41,447.00
    documentation fee: $250
    title: 33.50

Total before taxes: $41,500.50

tax: 6.75%

Thank you so much in advance for any help!!
  • lucasqlucasq Posts: 20
    Thanks for sharing your experiences here. May I know from whom you bought this odyssey?

Thanks
  • lucasqlucasq Posts: 20
    This is a really good price! May I know where did you buy it? I will appreciate it very much if more information regarding the person you dealt with can be provided. Thanks
  • vtoomuvtoomu Posts: 3
    Purchased on 7/20/2013
    Price paid out the door( including mud-flaps and NC taxes) $30,300.
    Took Honda Financing at 0.9% for 60 months.

Dealers in Raleigh area were unwilling to go below $31,700 out the door.

Very easy guy to work with. Sales guy was pretty much a straight shooter. Negotiated on the phone from Raleigh, NC over two days for a couple of times back and forth.

By the time I got there to pick up the van, he had it washed, full tank of gas and ready to go. The van had 8 miles on it. Definitely recommend. I was in and out of the dealership in under 45 minutes.
  • uma5uma5 Posts: 4
    Hi
    I'm in the market for a honda odyssey EX-L with RES. What should be the price i should be looking at. Which website do folks here use to get quotes from multiple dealers? Need some guidance please.
  • uma5uma5 Posts: 4
    30,000 sounds like a great price. I dont get any quotes below 31,800+ Is it safe for me to get it delivered from another location. In case of transmission issues or any other major issues, how do we deal with it.
  • EX-L w/RES
    I would suggest to shoot for 30,500 sale price