Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

arktrooper1arktrooper1 Posts: 101
edited March 10 in Isuzu
Have scheduled my first appointment with the dealer to have the oil changed at 5K mi. as well as the other things I listed above.

It is not the dealer I purchased from (they're in Kansas City) and I am hoping to get decent service at least. They are part of a large automotive group that sells a # of brands and I've heard mixed reviews. The other brand they sell at the Isuzu store is Daewoo.

The service manager told me that the fuel line mod would take 4+ hours which seems like a lot so if any of you could tell me if this is consistent with what you've heard or experienced on this recall I would appreciate hearing from you.

BTW, I would have prefered to buy locally but this dealer (Fayetteville) wanted $2K more than the dealer in KCK for the same vehicle but not in the color I wanted. I even offered to pay $500 more than I paid in KCK just to buy locally and they turned my offer down!

Comments

• paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    I'll ask the dealer where I'm getting my 2nd recall done today how long it should take, they could just be scheduling you for that long and not actually taking that long.

-mike
    Thanks

mike@iace.com
  • deimosdeimos Posts: 57
    Do you know of any extended warranty, here in Canada that will cover after market parts on my truck? E.g. shocks, torsion bar, whatever...
    Someone from the States was saying that he got them from WarrantyGold.Com and maybe they sell internationally as well?
  • I know my post should have been in "Maintenence...and I could have sworn that's where I put it. Guess I'll have to be more careful...LOL!
    -Dave
  • sdc2sdc2 Posts: 780
    Saw and 2000 LS advertised for $23,999 yesterday...what a great deal!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    It seems weird that we have to specify now that Troopers are available in 2WD. Either way, a great value on an LS Trooper-- very nicely equipped vehicle for 24 grand. People just don't know about the Trooper and all it offers...
    That's a good question...I didn't think to look. It did list heated seats and all that crap, but did not mention a moonroof. The ad said it was $7,6XX off of MSRP - does that help?
    Moonroof and 4wd being the only 2 major options on an LS. So I'd venture to guess a 2wd w/o moonroof.

-mike
  • gberrygberry Posts: 21
    The morning my 2nd recall for the fuel line was due to be fixed, I got a call - my daughter was in labor! She lives 4 hours away. I was a bit nervous about the whole thing (both the safety recall and the impending birth of our first grandchild!) so I went to the dealer first thing in the morning (ok, I know this isn't too rational and my priorities were a bit mixed up - what can I say? I was overwhelmed!) and told him my reason for being in such a hurry to get the job over and done with! He put 2 technicians on the job and they were done in 90 minutes - I thought that was really nice of them - and I left from there to drive the 4 hrs to the hospital (I'm in Baltimore, my daughter is in NY)! BTW - it's a boy! ; ) Needless to say, I will respond to Isuzu's dealer survey with positive comments this time around!
  • in September I was also offered a 2000 LS 4WD (no moonroof) for $24,000 and an LS 2WD for the same price I paid for my S TOD/Auto.

BTW, I got my 2000 S for $22,309.50 /w/ TOD/Auto, 6-disc CD changer, bug deflector, rear cargo mat and black tube side steps.

The dealer wss Don Stein Buick/Isuzu in Overland Park, Ks. (Kansas City) and the salesperson, Laura Rafferty was great to deal with. They're an old dealer (since 1958) with a great reputaion in that area. Too bad I live nearly 250 mi. away or I'd take the Trooper there for service!
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Give this dealer some credit for responding with some actual customer service and tell us who they are. I'm also curious to know whether it's the same Maryland/D.C. area dealer from whom I bought my 98 Trooper. I was treated very poorly, probably in part because I was an out-of-state (Michigan) customer who they would never see again. It's been over a year and I haven't written the letter to Isuzu USA and their local Better Business Bureau like I promised myself I would. Just thinking about the experience with that dealer still makes my blood boil, though.
    for bluedevils... the dealer that did my 2nd fuel line recall in 90 min. is Performance in Ellicott City, MD. A young fellow by the name of Todd is in charge of Isuzu service. Seems like a nice and very polite guy. However, I have to take the car in on Wed. to fix the transmission (downshifting problems)as well as the annoying dash rattle, so I'll let you know how they do!
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    At Nationwide Isuzu, I saw some really low prices ~22k on 2001 troopers advertised in the Baltimore Sun (Baltimore region). Might be worth checking out.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    What is the downshifting problem?
    as I explained on another board, there is a WHOOSH sound like a gust of wind under the car (really it's the sound of the engine racing, according to the mechanic) when I go uphill between 34 - 39 mph. This is due to a transmission problem where the car thinks it is going at a different speed/rpm than it actually is, and tries to "adjust" by "downshifting." What happens is a loss of power plus that awful noise unless I really floor the gas pedal to give more power.
    Now here is where it gets nasty: I took it to the dealer and it requires a 5 day wait to get the parts from Isuzu. They are willing to give me a loaner while they fix it (minimum 2 -3 days fixing time) but ONLY once it is in the shop under repair, and since they haven't gotten the part in yet, they don't want to accept the car. The reason this is bad is that I was told it is fine for local driving, but that it wouldn't be a good idea to drive the car long distances since the transmission theoretically could lock up. Unfortunately I need to drive to NY this weekend so I am still working on their supplying us with a rental car so I don't have to pay for one. Also forgot to mention that if I drive on city streets, if I keep the car in 3rd gear, it is fine even when going uphill @ those mph; it only makes the noise when the car is in "drive."
    The tech said that this is a MAJORIFIC fix. They basically have to tear apart the entire transmission to get to the parts that need replacing - he was worried that they might have to replace the whole transmission if tearing it apart proved too difficult. Fortunately this is not *my* problem! But I am disturbed that this car left the factory with the defect - this has been happening almost since day 1, but it took me awhile before I was systematically able to reproduce the problem for an accurate diagnosis. Will let you know how it goes.
    If anyone wants to try to reproduce the problem in their own truck: drive up a hill between 34 - 39 mph, putting your foot on the gas pedal only lightly.
  • sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Are you saying this is a know problem in all Trooper's? I have not seen a TSB about it? I will see if my truck does this tonight. I have noticed 2 things which might be related, but have passed them off. First, when the truck is very cold, and you engage drive the first time it sort of whooshes, I attribute this just the auto-choke being on? I have noticed a hard downshift around those speeds? When I step on it the truck sort of "slips" at those speeds? Rev then engage, but no whoosh? It is very quick, I have a lead foot so maybe that is why I haven't experienced that exact problem? I had the fluid level checked but it was fine. For my sake I hope the problem is only with your truck (no offense), but this is good info in case it is a widespread problem.
    Fuel injected vehicles don't have chokes. They achieve the same thing (increase fuel versus air mix for cold starts) by computer control of the injectors.

Possibly the whooshing you are referring to is the fan noise due to the cold-start fast idle.
    Although all these tranny's are known to have a "banging" from 2-1. This is normal and actually helps to prolong the life of the transmission due to less slippage. IIRC.

-mike
  • I just bought a 2000 Trooper LS 2WD with sunroof, leather, and wood trim for $23,300 in Dallas Texas. Drive out was $25,000. I love my new Trooper!
    Is the quality of the aftermarket leather good? Only Limiteds have leather from the factory.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.