Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

12345679»

Comments

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    Dealerships in the PA area are closing. 3 dealers within 10 miles of me have shutdown in the last month? I asked my dealer what happened, and they said Isuzu came in, took all the cars, and took the franchise back. The closest dealer, if it is still open is 20 miles away.

I asked them what happens to someone who just bought one 2 weeks ago...tough luck, no warranty repair. They told me that I could probably weasel one last service and check, they might give me free diagnosis in the future, but that is it.

I guess I don't need to purchase an extended warranty, there might not be a place to cash it in.

Help! Anyone have/know of a good dealer in the Philadelphia area?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    Flemington Isuzu/Subaru is the best dealer in the Area. Well worth the drive. I drive down from NYC to get work done there. Also there used to be a big dealer out near the blue route forgot the name, but they did my hitch for me, part of a big auto-mall.

-mike
    Yikes...There is a dealer in Cinnaminson NJ, who is closer, I may check there first. If I have to drive 40 miles for service, do you think they will throw in a loaner hotel room for me?
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    Greenfield Dodge/Isuzu in Lawreceville, NJ and Lester Glenn in Toms River, NJ may be able to help you.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    Currently, you can get 0% APR up to 60 months or 2.9% up to 72 months. Amazing!

The other day I saw that Isuzu was offering 0% APR for up to 60 months, but the offer was valid for only 5 days or so (Feb. 14-19, IIRC). I just checked www.isuzu.com and I see that the offer is in effect for Feb. 20-28. It's hard to tell if this offer will actually end, or if will be extended for a while or even throughout the entire calendar year.

My hunch is that Isuzu will offer low-APR financing most of the year, but it probably won't be this good all year. Maybe on Trooper, since it's the last year for Trooper, but probably not on Rodeo or Axiom because those vehicles seem to sell much better than Trooper.

My next task is to convince my parents that they finally should buy a Trooper.
  • beer47beer47 Posts: 185
    If anyone is looking, I saw several '02 Troopers in Delaware yesterday. Not far from the Delaware Memorial Bridge. Email for details. Cheers
  • Boris2Boris2 Posts: 177
    I posted it in Isuzu Rodeo discussion area and Mike suggested I post it here as well... Hope you like it :-)
    -----------------
    Just wanted to share my recent experience with one of the Denver Isuzu dealer (actually that's one of the only 3 Isuzu dealers we have around here).

I dropped off my Rodeo at around noon two days ago for an oil change and my outside mirror control unit wasn't working right: instead of being 8-way it become 7-way with upper right not working. I called them 20 min before they close to find out if they even got a chance to work on it and was told that the car is ready and they just forgot to call me back. The oil change was done, but the control unit was not fixed because "They were able to adjust it any way they wanted to." When I asked the service manager to get out of his office and try moving it in "south-east" direction he said that all the techs are gone and I can leave it if I wanted to for another day, but "they were able to adjust it any way they wanted to." I just gave up and asked them to lock the key inside so that I can pick it up later on. Next morning, I found a huge oil stain on the garage floor... Since the oil level was fine, I thought that they just forgot to take the rubber pan off before draining oil and there was some extra oil in it. However, when I was leaving work that day, I found another stain on the parking lot and took it back and left it overnight asking them to finish it up by noon. They, of course, never called me back and when I called them at around 1 p.m. the service manager said that the technician was gone for lunch and there is no way to find out the status. The technicians, apparently, have pretty long lunches over there, since he left me a message that the car is ready at almost 4 p.m. I called to find out what the problem was but couldn't get any straight answer. They way I understood it from his mumbling is that they either forgot to replace the gasket on the drain plug or used incorrect one. Since this is not the first problem I have with that dealer, I really starting to get a feeling that they just use my car to train their technicians for oil changes and this time, they had whole bunch of high school drop-outs to train :-)

If anybody is in Denver area and want to find out which Isuzu dealer I strongly recommend to avoid, let me know :-)))
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    I bet the Isuzu dealer in question is handling Isuzu like a small sideline since it sounds like they both don't know what they are doing and they don't care.

My kid could not say Colorado when she was very young, so she called it Cadaroda (Cod-ah-road-ah).
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Posts: 2,554
    seem to take the approach that boxtrooper mentioned. Most Isuzu franchises seem to be bundled at dealers who have other brands, and Isuzu is just a 'bit player' in their operations.
  • Boris2Boris2 Posts: 177
    I guess you're right... the four dealers we got around here are sharing their property with Nissans, WVs, Saabs, Acuras etc.
  • I'm looking for a good Isuzu mechanic or Isuzu dealer in the Lehigh Valley area in Pennsylvania. Any suggestions?
  • satysaty Posts: 23
    help. I found a 2000 trooper s with 50,000 miles for 12,995. It's still in clean condition. My main problem is whether to purchase an extended warranty that would cover the car up to 5 years and 100,000 miles bumper to bumper for $ 1286. Any idea of what the remaining factory warranties are and how does they carry on to the second owner? I want to make a decision to buy this car by the end of today.
    I just checked out the 1999 warranty on a related Isuzu site. "is Extended to the first owner and all subsequent owners of the vehicle during the warranty period" is mentioned for all the warranties - 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 year (10 years for 2000s) limited powertrain, corrosion and emissions. I would call Isuzu to double check for 2000. I think I remember seeing the 10 year was only extended to the first owner and second got the 5 year on the powertrain?

http://www.isuzu-suvs.com/images/99trooperwarranty.PDF

However my opinion is that you should put that $1200 in a separate bank account and use it if you need repairs. If not, then you have that money to yourself. I doubt you will need a warranty repair for $1200? Let's say the tranny goes? $500? I guess engine failure would be a big one, but that might be caused by lack of oil or something dumb, and then not a warranty item. (I mention the oil thing because some of these trucks burn up to 1 qt./1000 miles - normal, but people who don't know, don't check and then voila - engine problem)
  • satysaty Posts: 23
    thanks sbcooke for your input on extended warranty. Any potential problems that are common with the trooper which I should be aware of?
    Wow where is that? IIRC the tranny runs close to $2K. TOD unit, electronics, A/C, ECU etc. All of which will cost a significant chunk of that $1200. I just extended my BtoB from 3/50K to 10/100K to mate up with the 10/120 powertrain.
    -mike
    There was a fuel line recall. You can read about it at iihs.org, it came out during crash testing. You should verify that your vehicle has had it done, and if not, get it taken care of.

I don't think there were any major problems with the 2000 year. Be advised that these trucks burn some oil, just normal behavior, there is a clunk that is audible when coming to a stop light and the transmission shifts from 3/2 to L, and that these are trucks not cars and the drive as such.

In regards to the transmission, yes a complete end to end replacement is probably more than I said, however, I cannot forsee such a major failure, so in my mind worst case is one of the components failing, so less than $2K, maybe more than $500?
    Most of the time I see AT trannies either listed as "fine" or "rebuild" haven't really seen much as far as varying in price depending on the parts themselves that break. Even on a RWD american car an AT rebuild runs around $1000-1200 IIRC. So I'm thinking ours would be somewhere above that.

-mike
    While getting my IMG replaced this week, I spent some time talking to my service manager. He was complaining about how bad Isuzu's support is...not for the customer but the dealer. He said that he is put in tough positions because of a slow parts distribution network, poor warranty pay-offs, etc. He has heard many stories from his rep regarding end of life...to re-vitalization.

Makes you wonder.
  • breakorbreakor Posts: 398
    Someone just got an AT and TOD unit for $255 for both- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=33727&item=2423339101

A TOD unit went unsold at $50 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&cate- gory=46104&item=2422695552

Just some food for thought should the time come for a major overhaul.
  • My wife and I are looking a purchasing a loaded 1997 Trooper (Leather, Towing Package etc.) from a local individual. The body and interior are in great shape the only problem is that it has 170,000 miles. He's asking $4500 for it (That''s well bellow KBB). Do these go "forever"? To have that many miles I'd expect it to be A LOT of highway miles. What do you guys think? Thanks!
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    Find a mechanic that specializes in Isuzu Troopers and take the 97 Trooper to be inspected. Pay particular attention to the engine / transmission since these are items that are most expensive to repair. Also, ask to talk with the mechanic that has been doing the maintenance to get any clues to possible upcoming expensive maintenances.
    That said, I think Troopers are fully able to go a half million miles. The chassis is very solid. The suspension is easy and inexpensive to upgrade (I suggest OME suspension upgrade kits) so it rides like new.
    There isn't a towing package for the Troopers that I am aware of, just a hitch. Some people add an axtra transmission cooler from a third party. Ask how heavy the trailer and how often the towing, heavy ( >3500Lb.) towing miles count double for wear on the tow vehicle.
  • mmorgalmmorgal Posts: 1
    I would not buy another product from this company. My daughter had a 2000 rodeo, and for no reason the engine siezed up. Oil was changed every 3000 miles, and the oil just left the block. No leaks, no oil on the tail pipe. I have read many stories about this happening, and no hel fron them.
  • bizeebbizeeb Posts: 1
    We have been offered to purchase a 1998 Trooper that is in good physical condition, one owner but it has a lot of miles on it. It has 160+ thousand miles. It has started using a little oil. It has the 3.5 engine. The asking price is $3,000.00. Is this a reliable car for a teenage boy?
    BTW many of the miles are miles driven on Hwy from Arkansas to Alabama and then Alabama to Florida and also day to day work.
    Thanks,
    Debbie
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I can relate. I had a 2001 Rodeo and the engine head gasket failed destroying the engine. Luckily I was covered under the powertrain warranty, though it took 4 weeks to get my vehicle back. Other than that, I really liked the vehicle. Ya never know.
  • rick2456rick2456 Posts: 320
    I had a 98 Trooper myself. The problem I had with it was the computer failed and it cost $800 to replace. I would have the truck checked out and if the mechanic ok's it, I would go for it. It is a tough truck for sure, but be aware, it cannot be driven like a car as they have a high center of gravity and will roll over if he tries to drive it like a sports car.
  • Sounds like daughter abused vehicle as any teen would do.
This discussion has been closed.