Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isuzu Off Roading/Trail Reports

123457»

Comments

• gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    It looks like two Holden Jackaroos came in 1st and 2nd in that offroad race that finished just the other day.

http://www.australiansafari.com.au/default.htm

• sbcookesbcooke Posts: 2,297
    http://www.australiansafari.com.au/img/day6/mediares/Safari-31.jpg

except something tells me he didn't hydro-lock his engine!

It looks like those have flared fenders at the wheel wheels on the front, without the molding.
    I'm wondering what the effect of hard offroading over big rocks is on the trooper. I was away the other week and went up a very rocky and steep mountain (part of the trail was a stream bed) in a chevy pickup 4x4. The person I was with was a little worried about the effects of this rocky trail on the frame of his truck. He used the term, twisting the frame, up such a trail. Since I will be back there with my trooper, I'm wondering, what type of effect can these trails have on the truck? Obviously, parts of the suspension could break, but is this frame twisting thing a possibility?
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It is possible if you go barreling through boulders at 30mph. Every time I've off-roaded with experienced off-roaders, we did like 5mph or crawl speed in any situations where the frame could come in contact with rocks and such. I rode over probably 50 boulders down in Uwharrie in July where I scraped the frame/skid-plates, etc against rocks and other items, no damage done to them or the car. I wouldn't worry unless you go speeding over them.

-mike
    Jakemm made a point in the rodeo section that his rodeo hits the spare and gas tank in deep sand. I've been in moderate sand a couple times in my trooper. Airing down is one thing of course but keeping your speed up, so you don't grind in and sink is another. With the rodeo 4Hi is probably best. With the trooper, TOD vs 4Lo is sometimes a toss-up since you can't always keep speeds much over 30 in 4Lo. Sbcooke also has had alot of exprience in sand.
    Hmm i can usually do about 40-50 in 4-lo in my trooper. Why the feeling that 30mph is the limit?

-mike
    In deep sand the trooper doesn't drag, but does touch the sand every so often, especially the gas tank. The first generation explorers are like a whirling dirvesh, dragging along the beach. The troopers just clear the sand(while driving). While parked it looks like there is a lot more clearance. I am thinking about adding OME springs, for load carrying and ride purposes, but that will also lift the body up an inch or so higher.

With a solid axle, only bigger tires will lift the differential higher from the ground, but body lift could/would help. 4-lo has a lot of gear resistance (i.e. come off the gas and you slow down) over 25-30, I think that is why people (including me) feel more comfortable at that speed.
    Tires will lift the body as well as the differential. Tires are the universal lift. But you sacrafice handling and Center of Gravity with them.

-mike
    In the Rodeo forum, mention was made to adding suspension lift. Springs/body lift will not increase minimum ground clearance, just the height of the body. Taller tires will add increased height to everything.

Over sand, I have found that the differential isn't as much of a problem hitting sand as the gas tank. Going over the undulating surface of the beach, the gas tank often "kisses" the sand; pounding across rough rough terrain at 5 MPH, you see imprints of the tank and center skid plate in the sand. Body lift would improve the overall performance on the beach. Wider and taller tires would obviously help do the same.
    Yeah, your reved pretty high at speeds above 30 mph, but you can go faster. It seems that I recall the manual saying something about keeping the speed low.
    I think at 50ish I'm at like 4500-5500rpms, can't remember now though.

-mike
  • The good news is the deep sand at Hatteras will swallow up most any vehicle. There are sections of the beach that are, simply put, treacherous.

I previously had a Jeep Cherokee which was a little less prone to getting high centered on the center mound of the tracks at the beach.

Based on your inputs I'll take a slightly different tack with the Rodeo. Upsize the tires (30x9.50), pull the spare and put in the back, and never let the RPMs drop below 3 grand in 2nd gear in 4W low.

Another interesting thought appears to be to relocate the gas tank to where the 15" spare lives. Anyone seen a kit for doing this?? The gas tank location on the '99 Rodeo appears to be a major hindrance for any sort of serious off-roading. Any one considered / relocated their fuel tank to pick up ground clearance? Basically the Rodeo has great clearance except for the gas tank and spare(15"). One of these is easily fixed, the other one???

Jake
    The Montero, I believe, is now unibody construction. Not great for hard offroad work--definitely not for rocky terrain. I believe the X-terra is full frame truck. Has anyone seen that offroad likes its been advertised?
  • Paisan do we have to preregister for the Paragon trip or do we just show up?
    Good question Troopin. Check out the paragon page and see if there is a pre-reg thing or just show up. I'll add you to the list on my page in case someone from the VX board decides to make reservations.

-mike
  • mkayemkaye Posts: 184
    Since this section of the forum was used, so I thought I'd toss in some web sites for off-road trails, for anyone in the southwest part of the US.

Great Western Trail, Arizona section:

http://www.gwt.org/gwt/azgwt.html

Arizona Off-Road:

http://www.az-offroad.com/

Off-Road article:

http://www.findarticles.com/cf_offrd/m1185/n9_v29/17097283/p1/article.jhtml

El Camino Del Diablo:

http://www.bushducks.com/tripreps/camino.htm

Various Trails:

http://www.4x44u.com/pub/k2/am4x44u/trails/locations/trailr2.htm

http://www.4x4now.com/

Grab some of these and list em on http://isuzu-suvs.com

-mike

• Hey everyone! Do you have any model year suggestions for a cheap off-road trooper to be used for play purposes only. Are there any big things to look out for when purchasing a used trooper?

Thanks,
    Brian
    What did those of you that went to Paragon Adventure Park think of it? Was it worth the drive/money? I am considering it since I am bored with the Pine Barrens and have been looking forward to going offroad soon.
    But be prepared to get damaged even on the "easy" trails. It's all rocks.

I'm thinking of planning a Pine Barrens Run sometime in June or July, would you be up for it?

-mike
    Thanks for the info. Not sure if that sounds worth it. Rocks would be intersting since I really have little experience with them, but it also seems like that kind of terrain would be harder on the truck even apart from visible damage.

Yes, depending on the date, the summer gets very busy with trips and picnic's, etc. A friend of mine just upgraded from a Montero to a Trooper and he is interested in hitting the trail too. The pine barrens is kind of vanilla, and I am gun shy of the water.

I am "jones'in" for some offroading. What other options are there in the tri-state region? I like the idea of having a destination, not just cruising around trails.
    Well then start planning for oct Uwharrie.

It's a haul, but well worth it. It's an experience. Camping, and difficult yet easy on your truck trails.

Other than PB and Paragon not much else in the tristate I know of.

-mike
  • emiuraemiura Posts: 59
    Came back from my annual Moab 'ZuZoo trip on Sunday. Been running with stock size tires for last 3 years, but I've finally upgraded to 265/75R16 this time, and that made it much easier to run trails. I've uploaded some pictures to Webshots:

http://community.webshots.com/user/emiura
    www.offroaders.com seem to find a lot of places in PA to go. Not sure if all the trails are legal? When I am up in the middle of the state you often see dirt roads that run up a mountain under powerlines...just too chicken to make the turn and head up them without knowing where I am and laws regarding.

PB would be OK. I am going to look for some forest information to see if I can find anything else too.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Posts: 843
    I did some rough rock mountain trails, the Borreggo Springs to Anza trail in particular. This starts out in the desert a hour and a half East of San Diego. It is hot and dry for growing California Dates down there. Anza is the top of the local mountain, it was snowing in Anza with heat ripples in the sunny air visible down below in Borrego once when I went. The trail starts in loose sand and cactus then gets weedy and goes through the tiny creek a while. I stopped there the first time (with only 1200 miles on my 1984 Trooper I got my first rocker panel dent) to see if I was still on the trail. I was, so I continued. The road gets steeper and turns to bare rock with big cracks that could tip you over. If tipped over it could easily mean a long bouncing fall down the mountain. This rocky part would benefit greatly from locking diffs. Anyway it is a fun 4 or 5 hours to go those 20 miles or so.
    I did some tire damage there too, I pulled back a flap of tread big enough to put my hand into, but it laid flat and I did not notice it till much later. The tire held air just fine, maybe because the original 1984 Trooper tires came with inner tubes.
    I will be in CT for a few days next month and was wondering if there were any good offroading locations? Anyone have any leads?
123457»
This discussion has been closed.