Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Future Models

Comments

• Options
    arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    this HAD to be what the next trooper was going to be...i remember seeing this in another car mag...i forget which one ...awhile back...when i look at this i see the almost perfect evolution of the present trooper, at least in my mind!...an updated, but still "classic" boxy trooper style and improved efficiency/fuel economy via a turbodiesel!...if only isuzu would bring the GBX or something similar to the US i would have my order in, in a heartbeat...and to think, we may have to settle for a version of the "yuhoe"...whats it gonna take isuzu???... or more correctly ...whats it gonna take GM, for you to leave isuzu alone!!!!????
  • Options
    cdpar5in2cdpar5in2 Member Posts: 6
    I am about to buy a new Limited, but just started to get cold feet as I read about the fact that this is the last year for this Trooper (is it a redesign or the end of the Trooper)? Any thoughts out there on what this will do to the value of the current style of Trooper? Also, does anyone know why Running Boards are no longer an option? I have them on my 97 and think they really add to the appearance.

As to the earlier posts on what is a good deal, I am paying 26,500 and am very pleased. Comments quickly please... I am supposed to buy in about 8 hours!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    resale is always bad on Isuzus. You buy em for as vehicles that will last for a long time. Hence the poor lease rates on them. They will however run for 200K+ miles w/o a major problem.

Running boards are easily ripped off. Look to the aftermarket if you must have em. Matt at http://independent4x.com makes nice side steps that are strong enough to lift the whole car with.

-mike

• Options
    beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    is bitchin'. Check out the cool link above. 21 inch wheels!!! My goodness. I have a feeling it will cost a bit more than a Trooper "S" though. I hope It makes a US appearance. The market could use a little shake-up. I wonder if GM will let it be sold here.
  • Options
    You won't see 21" rims on a production version. But hopefully we'll get at least a diesel option in the next trooper even if it is a re-badged version of a GM platform.

-mike
  • Options
    jimmyp1jimmyp1 Member Posts: 640
    Yeah, I agree Paisan, but what's this rumor about the Trooper being based on the Envoy? I thought it was to be Tahoe based.

Jim
  • Options
    There was an old report that it would be based on the Envoy, I think they scrapped the idea. At least that's the last I heard, was Yukon based.

-mike
  • Options
    http://www.motortrend.com/future/2002.html

Maybe we'll get an Isuzu Trooper!

-mike

• Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I can't believe it's the last day of August and we still don't have a firm idea on what the story is for the 2002 Trooper. It must be because almost nobody cares, and Isuzu doesn't bother to tell people about it because they don't want to spend money to give out info that so few people care about.

Last year, Ford was really tooting its horn about the all-new Explorer.

Generally, by this time of year it's pretty clear what's on tap for a particular model in the upcoming model year.

Man, I hope the Troopers remain Isuzus!
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I was reading Motor Trend on a plane today. They had a brief mention of the next Trooper in the "new" section. They said that it will be based on the new trailblazer platform. It will also have a V8, where the trailblazer may not? Maybe just to separate the Trooper from the others? It sounds as if it will be all GM, not just 49%.
  • Options
    I saw Paisan's link??? The hardcopy of Motor Trend for September has the exact opposite information as their web page?
  • Options
    If it's a v8 it's probably a tahoe platform. Who knows. I guess we'll just have to wait til spring and see what actually happens. This is almost as bad as the WRX unveiling, no one knew until a week before they announced the specs, what the car would actually have in it.

-mike
  • Options
    a manufacturer makes no attempt to generate any excitement, or at least some awareness, of an upcoming model.
  • Options
    Probably because they only sell like 10K units a year, and GM probably has them castrated as to advertising it.

-mike
  • Options
    It makes sense that Isuzu would not spend big bucks on such a limited-quantity seller as Trooper. But they could do a few things quite cheaply (e.g. a damn press release) that would get the word out to those who care.
  • Options
    Hi everyone! I was at the Isuzu dealer in NW Arkansas (Superior in Fayetteville) the other day to (finally!) schedule a time when I could get the recalls done. While I was there I found out some more info from the deducated Isuzu service advisor, who seemed to know what he was talking about. According to him -

There will be 2 new vehicles, one based on the Trailblazer platform that will replace the Trooper. It WILL be made at SIA, presumably. It WILL NOT have a GM engine, but rather a version of the 3.5L currently in the Trooper. It WILL have TOD, same auto trans as it has now. He said it will have a more rugged look than the Trailblazer as well, more like a Trooper. It's more of an off road vehicle than the Trailblazer as well.

The second vehicle will be based on the Yukon (not the XL, from what he understands) and will have TOD and an ISUZU gasoline V8. He wasn't sure about a V8 diesel, turbo or not. He likened it to more of a LC/LX470 competitor.

There are two pickups under development as well! One will be compact (Tacoma size), one will be "full size" (about like a Tundra).

I sure hope he is right. I can deal with a GM platform as long as the "heart" of the car and the engineering are primarily Isuzu. If these vehicles materialize, this could be a very exciting time for Isuzu and their enthusiastic supporters!

- Dave
  • Options
    This is the market Isuzu needs to be in. A vehicle with an Isuzu V8 would be a great, much less expensive alternative to the Land Cruiser.
  • Options
    The new pickup S10/S15 is going to be designed by Isuzu. So its natural that Isuzu gets a badged version of that. Hmm that is news Trailblazer with trooper driveline...

-mike
  • Options
    boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I think it makes sense that the Isuzu version have Isuzu drive train, it gives GM the flexibility to keep running the Isuzu engine plant instead of ramping up the 4.2L engine plant for bigger capacity. That way if the economy keep worse or the price of fuel goes way up and SUV sales go way down they can close one plant neat and clean rather than idling a lot of expensive new factory machines. Besides the Isuzu drive train is really pretty good.
    I hope the 2003 Isuzu Trooper, whatever the platform, retains its boxy practicality. I call it the "bigger on the inside than on the outside" feel. To me that is what makes the Trooper a Trooper. The GBX (GearBoX) concept was right on - it is a portable toolbox or toybox.
    On the other hand, if the Trooper is a close clone of the TrailBlazer, I would buy the GM version since I can get the employee discount about 15% to 20% off.
    This might be way out there, but I suspect that GM is using Isuzu as a test bed for new GM products. Example: The Vehicross was a new Isuzu, pretty well recieved, then came the Pontiac Aztec which looked to me like a poor implementation of the same sort of body design. I think Isuzu had a lot to do with design of the TrailBlazer chassis, and hence the new S10 pickup aka TrailBlazer Pickup is born.
    The Isuzu gas powered V8 does not make any sense to me since GM makes so many and they are the most fuel efficient and best performing of their kind. I think the Isuzu Tahoe would not have a large enough market to build a new engine for it. A diesel makes perfect sense since that is what Isuzu does best.
    Will TOD be available on manual shift versions of the Trooper?
    Will 2002 be the last stick shift Trooper ever? Or the last stick shift SUV ever?
    Will Isuzu ever bring fuel efficient diesel engines to the USA? It would take the S out of SUV but it would drastically reduce the cost to run them. I did read an article earlier this year in a magazine on an airplane that said there would be a hybrid Isuzu drive train that used the starter as the alternator and stored braking energy for the next acceleration. And I have visited the Ford future museum where they have a "Compression Ignition" engine hybrid that starts and shuts off so quick and efficiently that the engine shuts off at lights and while the electic motor starts you moving away from the light ther engine starts again. In a cold climate the engine could start and stop itself just often enough to stay warm enough to start right up when needed.
    Thank You
    BoxTrooper
  • Options
    I highly doubt you'll ever see it.

There has been a lot of rumors for 2 years about a v8 powered Isuzu, so hopefully that is what will go in a Trooper that comes on a Tahoe chassis.

-mike
  • Options
    catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Just returned from 3 months in Colorado mountains. Bought our 01 S model at Olathe Kansas. Fayetteville didnt have a one on the lot. We live in Bella
    Vista and Fayetteville is closest dealer. Do they have a reliable service dept? Have you used them and are you happy with them? Any help or names or suggestions would be appreciated.. We have had Zero problems and have 10 K already. Thanks--Mel
  • Options
    gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Go to www.thecarconnection.com to find out info on the new Isuzu designed S-10 replacement and the Isuzu conterpart. There is also a story about Isuzu and Toyota discussing the use of Duramax Diesel engines in Toyota trucks.
  • Options
    beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    I don't think we'll see this one anytime soon.

http://aolsvc.aol.com/news/photogalleries/gallery226_jr24_24_8.adp

• Options
    The new S10/S15 pickup/crew cab was designed by Isuzu for GM. It will be Isuzu except for the engine which is the I6 engine from the envoy, a good engine. Also likely get a duramax 4.0l option as well.

-mike
  • Options
    Does this mean the exterior/interior design, or did Isuzu have something to do with designing/engineering/manufacturing the mechanicals (chassis, tranny, etc.) too?
  • Options
    The engine is the I6 from the Envoy, but the rest of the truck is Isuzu desgin, test, etc. I believe GM will actually build them.

-mike
  • Options
    gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4357

This link tells of the Trooper's demise. 02 will be the last year, to be replaced with the Ascender - GM based SUV.

• Options
    Ascender will be a LWB Envoy. The only good thing is the I6. I'll likely be going to the TLC camp since it will be available with an Isuzu engine in 03 or 04.

-mike
  • Options
    Last I heard it was going to be the envoy frame with a V8 engine? Paisan, how do you expect to get to the TLC camp...did you get a raise. :-)

I plan on sticking with my Trooper until it stops running or I can afford the loss and a TLC all at the same time.
  • Options
    Well I'm planning on keeping my current troop for at least 250K miles. So I won't be in the TLC camp for a long while, and hopefully will be able to afford it then. :)

The new one will just be a LWB Envoy rebadged, nothing Isuzu about it, except the name. I6 engine.

-mike
  • Options
    I read something to do with the Tokyo auto show that Toyota is talking with Isuzu about providing 3L and 4L turbo diesels for its SUVs in the USA. Anybody heard more than that?
  • Options
    Yep in 03 or 04 Yodas will have Isuzu Diesel engines as options. Duramax Diesels are produced at an Isuzu plant in the midwest, and GM has told Isuzu it doesn't plan to block any sales to non-GM companies.

-mike
  • Options
    It sounds like GM, but I just wanted to make sure.

So Ascender is the name of the Isuzu badged version of the long wheelbase Envoy?

It's all a big shame.
  • Options
    It will be manufacturered at the GM plant in Ohio. I'd consider it if it werebeing made at the SIA plant and had TOD and Isuzu body and interior. It's gonna be another cheesy knockoff. You know the cheapo plastic knobs like in a pontiac, etc...

-mike
  • Options
    Well of course it will, it's a clone of the Envoy.

Also that rack will cost you about $10K+ Guaranteed it's not gonna sell for $22-$28K. More likely $28K-$40K especially after you ad some non-highway tires, skid plates, and a number of other std items on today's trooper.

-mike
  • Options
    basketballkidbasketballkid Member Posts: 25
    I saw a 2002 Trooper S at the auto show in Boston today. TOD was a $700 option.

Phil

BTW It was an automatic too.
  • Options
    in 2002 the S doesn't get TOD std on the AT.

I believe that they are clearing out the warehouse in Japan, and probably found a bunch of non-tod ATs, so they are blowing em out in the S models.

-mike
  • Options
    So does it have a 4 High, locked center differential? Not good for on-road, but good for serious off-roading.
  • Options
    Sean are you talking about the non-tod 4wd 2002 Trooper? It has the same Part-time 4wd system that the Rodeo and the pre-00 versions of the S Model Trooper had. 4-Hi, 4-Lo, 2wd. 4-hi locks it in at 50/50 torque split and can't be used on dry pavement.

-mike
  • Options
    That is what I am referring too. In deep sand I find the TOD system "slips" too much. Not really slipping, but switching from front to rear and back and forth, etc. 4Hi would be better in this situation. I would like to see future troopers with 2WD, TOD, 4HI and 4LO. Now I guess I would settle for just "future troopers"...Don't get me wrong, I like TOD for 90% of the time, but it has almost gotten me in trouble in deep soft sand, enough times, that when in rough unknown area, I just stick with 4LO. I have not had any worries about running in 4LO, you just have to keep it under 25 to be comfortable.
  • Options
    really I usually will run 4-lo up to 45mphish. Thats why I don't really see a need for 4-hi, cause if I need 50/50 torque split, 45mph is plenty fast for me to be driving.

-mike
  • Options
    Nice, the Ascendor is already behind the 8-ball. Envoy/Trailblazers will roll when in park. Very nice going by the General Motors Folks again!

-mike
  • Options
    Paison please tell Isuzu they can keep the Trooper going by marketing it as a station wagon. Station wagons are coming back into popularity. Trooper is a tall, capable and roomy station wagon with a huge moonroof, sort of a Volvo or Passat on steroids. All they need to do is put in one of those station wagon rear seats that folds down into the floor.
  • Options
    Well the wagon idea is the idea beahind the axiom. The problem with the trooper is that it doesn't meet MY2003 crumple zone requirements, that is why it needs a re-design. Outside the US it also gets a 3rd row of seats in it's current form. It's just bad marketing on Isuzu's part and the neutering of Isuzu by GM to foster their own sales. Back in '95 IIRC the Rodeo was the highest selling Japanese SUV. Go figure, the more GM takes over the worse a company gets.

-mike
  • Options
    While I may buy an Axiom next time, I won't be buying the Trooper replacement. I refuse to support a company that's trying (and succeeding) to put Isuzu down the tubes and is known for inferior quality products. The I6 may look great on paper but I'm not willing to take the risk of whether or not it's reliable and long lived. Add to that the points that paisan has already brought up...no doubt cheap upholstery, interior plastic and generally low GM quality (is that an oxymoron?) and, at least in my opinion, Isuzu has a real loser on its hands. True, I may not be looking for a positive side to all this, but really, there isn't one.
  • Options
    to the sheep who buy GM products and see the Isuzu as the same product with the 10/120 warranty. They're gonna need it.

-mike
  • Options
    fiveharpersfiveharpers Member Posts: 53
    Paisan, do you really think that GM will let them keep the 10/120 Warranty on these new models. I doubt it.

-John
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    The inline 6 that they use in the Trailblazer etc. sounds good, except for one thing. In order to get a low profile on the engine compartment, they ended up running the front axle THROUGH the oil pan...can you say seal failure? Just another thing to go wrong. Also makes lifting it for off-road use quite a bit more difficult, I'm guessing...
  • Options
    In the press release, I doubt they'll go back on it after releasing it. Although it may change a year later.

-mike
This discussion has been closed.