Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
Here's where we'll discuss the new Cruze!

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
Share your vehicle reviews

Comments

• tunisjstunisjs Posts: 4
    sorry, if im off topic here but im unable to find a cruze site, the one listed on the chevy page jumps to here. i sat in a daewoo lacetti (i.e. cruze) during a visit to korea last week and picked up some literature. im not a gm fan but was very impressed. Im 6'2", 200lbs and fit well, front and back. good driving position, nice looks, while parked and while observed driving on street. a substantial feeling car. unfortunately i couldnt test drive one. i have also seen them chevy badged in singapore. i cant wait to drive one in the u.s.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    What do you think about the price? Base will start ~ $17K.

The base price is fine but the LT1 starts at $19K without cruise control, alloys, remote start, etc. At $19K GM needs to offer these items std.

I assume the LT2 will be optioned the way I'd buy the car and guess that's going to be $21K. Too rich for my blood. If Chevy offered the LT2 at $19K, then they would sell like hotcakes. It's a big, good looking car for the class.

GM is leaving room for rebates and I will buy if I can get what I want for under $20,000.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,951
    When you look at what you can get well optioned up in the midsize class and compare it to the Cruze, suddenly the Cruze doesn't look so good. Especially considering you're only gaining 3-4 mpg over some of the midsizers.

I like it but they will have to give discounts right off the bat almost to compete pricewise.
  • kplacerkplacer Posts: 94
    I just drove a Cruze LT at a GM event. It was only about a 10-minute drive around town so it was not comprehensive, but I was very impressed. My car had the turbo engine and it was powerful, if a bit noisy when you put your foot in it. I would take that engine over the standard one I think based on the power. It was not as quiet as the Buick Regal I drove a while back but I suppose that is not unexpected in a Chevrolet. The interior design was outstanding. Mine had a red and black interior and the red seat fabric was also applied to the dash -- not sure about the practicality of that, but it looked great. Dash design was very good and modern. Not sure about the pricing on the car I drove but I think it is a very competitive design. I currently drive a Buick and I would not think twice about moving into one of these. They may be a smaller car, but it did not come across as cheap and is miles ahead of the Cobalts I have driven.
  • overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    I think people expecting big rebates soon after the car goes on sale are going to be disappointing. GM's newer products (Equinox for example) are not really cheap. They are far better than the cars they replace and for the most part dealers are able to sell them without rebates. The Cruze charges more because its a more refined car and CHevy obviously thinks people will be willing to pay for the refinment and features. Mazda doesn't price the 3 to beat out the corolla or Elantra on value. The car costs more because its better equipped and better appointed than its lower cost competitors and Mazda is fine with that. Chevy is taking a similar position with the Cruze- you get what you pay for. If you want class leading mileage and a class leading interior and a huge trunk you will have to pay more than you will for a Corolla with a 4 speed automatic and a hard plastic dull interior.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 573
    Any word on a launch date? I heard 3Q10 or September and now we're hearing Fall 2010 or October.

Is a firm date available?
  • overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    After labor day. I believe production has already started but they are saying availability by September.
  • Chevrolet now has the Cruze up and running on it's website........

Cruze Website
  • I heard these will be hitting dealerships in the 2nd half of September.

I'm glad GM went with 60-series rubber on the Cruze LS and LT. The 2LT has optional 215/50R17 tires, but you can get a loaded Cruze 2LT without being forced into low-profile tires. This is a good move on GM's part with only the LTZ having the 45-series rubber standard.

60-series tires ride better than 50-series and I appreciate Chevy offering us a good range of tire/wheel options.
  • Are supposed to start this week. Production is underway and supposedly most dealers will have them by end of the month. I am surprised they are advertising the car before its really available on dealer lots.
  • I am surprised they are advertising the car before its really available on dealer lots.

I am a bit surprised as well. In my case it is pleasantly surprised. :)

The Cruze has been a "Future Vehicle" for so long, it was finally good to see Chevy update their website and provide us with ALL the details.

I've heard these will be hitting dealerships the week of Sept. 19th. :D
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,626
    Would prefer 65 series sneakers but 60's will work fine. We have 55's now but really like more rubber on the road. Car doesn't look 1/2 bad for an American car, we've been foreign car buyers since our last GM in 1985. So the Cruze is pretty good to even make it onto our short list. If the seats are pretty decent and my wife can see the end of the hood, it could very well make it into our garage as wifey's new ride. Looking forward to test driving it when it debuts along with the others on our short list.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• well official production started today and shipments start next week. I hope they are going to make enough cars so they dont end up with an Equinox problem. I believe they are running 3 shifts so they should be able to meet demand. I saw one of the commericals last night.
  • things have come a long way since '85. I'd argue that the average "American car" is better looking than the average product coming out of Toyota or Honda.
    And I'd argue for the other side...personally prefer the Japanese/Korean/German product so much more than the American rides. The Sonata/Optima & the new Jetta/Golf to just name some. The Cruze has sparked my interest though and if it has the fit/finish & mileage of the overseas competition, we'll be sure to give it a test drive. Our local Cheby place is right across the street with the Mazda dealer which is next to the Hyundai/Mitsubishi dealer which is next to the Vdub store. Great location for us. Our Honda/Nissan/Kia store is across town, maybe 8 miles away which also works.
    Luckily, our time frame is such that we can try all the models on our short list & have plenty of time to research. I really want stability control & am willing to wait for a 2011 model if need be.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Early reviews of the Jetta have noted its competent but cheaper all around than the old model. THere are quite a few features on the Cruze that cannot be had on any Jetta for any price including power drivers seat, Onstar and auto climate control. On top of that the Jetta gets worse mileage unless you opt for the TDI. I believe the 2.5L (only acceptable engine in that car) gets 23/31 vs 24/36 for the non Eco Cruze. Granted the jetta has more power and will be faster but 0-60 times arent usually what people care about in this class.

The sonata delivers lots of value but I think the styling of the base model suffers greatly compared to the SE with its larger wheels and additional chrome trim. Interior wise, the Cruze has better materials IMHO. Sonata is faster and larger though.
  • Reliable sources place the 2011 Cruze LT (1.4T w/auto) at 24MPG City and 36MPG Hwy. Has anyone seen the official EPA numbers yet?
    Excellent materials from the one's I've sat in. If the Cruze has interiors like the other Chevy offerings, I'll go the Hyundai route, thank you very much. Personally think the Cruze is going to have a hard time against the new Elantra coming out which will be it's direct competition. Really believe that the Elantra will steal many of the sales away from Chevy. But we'll still keep it on our short list anyways.