Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• That seems odd. I know the size rankings are based on volume and the cruze has almost as much interior volume as the Malibu which is a midsize according to the EPA. I believe the Cruze has around 94 cu ft of passenger volume. Its definitely on the upper end of the compact segment in terms of length, weight and interior space. The trunk is best in class.
  • It may get changed. The EPA lists the Cruze at 94 cu ft passenger volume and 16 cu ft trunk volume for 110 total! These numbers differ slightly from Chevrolet's which came in at 94.6 and 15.4 but the total is the same.

Technically the Cruze squeaks into the mid-size class and yes, the trunk is huge for a car in this class.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    This looks better than the sedan IMO. Don't keep it in Europe, wouldn't cost much to bring it here. If not, I'd probably go with new Focus or Forte hatch for my next car.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,737
    Mentioned this car to the wife at lunch a bit earlier & she screwed her face up. Just said that we need to test drive one seriously as it's going to be on the "short list" when we start looking. Dealer right across the street...a plus...same dealer is our Mazda guy...another plus. Actually like the dash layout...not as good as my Civic's but she's used to that kind like on her M3s. We're not Ford folks either but also will be putting the Fiesta on that list also. She basically goes by how it looks & drives & if she can see the front of the hood. If she can find 1 with this combination...it could be her next ride. Hopefully we'll have a choice. Let's hope the Cruze makes the list!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,418
    saw that in a magazine today (AW). Looks pretty good, but hard angle to really see it from.

If they would have brought this in, it would have vaulted way up my short list!

heck, go all the way and make it in a real wagon format (like the former Focus wagon) and I would really be interested!

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

just used the Chevy site (not very good working one). To get a moonroof on an LT2, you are almost up to 23K. And that doesn't even seem to have bluetooth or a USB port yet!

that could be a tough sell, since there is some serious competition at that price point. Even a Civic EX is a bunch cheaper (although without leather and a Power seat)

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    edited September 2010
    LT2 does have BT and USB standard. This is shown right on the cruze section of the Chevy site. The Cruze isnt going to be the cheapest in the class, its a larger, more refined car for more money. Its more akin to the 3 or Jetta than the Civic or Corolla. Things have reversed because in the past people would buy American to spend less money and make compromises in the process. Now its the Honda that is cheaper and compromised.

I got $22,245 for an LT2 with sunroof. I'm pretty sure a comparable civic lacks quite a few features found on such a cruze including Onstar, USB, leather, heated seats, remote start, 6 speed auto, 10 airbags, etc. You pay more to get more.
    I came out with 22,700, but that included the convenience package (or some such) that had something important in it.

That Chevy site was very clunky to use (on my PC at least). I based the USB/bluetooth comment on how they listed it as a feature on the LTZ, but not the LT2.

I guess based on MSRP that is probably close to what a Mazda3 grand touring (with HID, leather, etc.) goes for. But, as with likely the cruze, most volume will be at the cheaper levels.

At least the Cruze offers a power drivers seat. That is something I am not looking to give up, unless they go back to real 8 way manual adjustability! And mazda and Honda don't have it.

• well according to the chevy site BT and USB are standard on LT2 and LTZ. This is shown on the "build your own" page that shows the highlights of whats offered on each model. The LT2 is in the middle. I would think most Cruze's will be LT1s and LTS2s. The base car has a decent price but I doubt its really going to be the retail volume leader with the 1.8L engine. That's probably for fleet use primarily. As small cars get more high tech and efficient they are going to get more expensive. The new Jetta is priced very close to the Cruze and the SEL model starts at about $22k with a manual transmission.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Posts: 574
    edited September 2010
    The LT2 Driver Convenience Package costs $475 and includes: auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, covered visors, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-color, manual-folding mirrors and Rear Parking Assist.

It's not something I would order but the heated mirrors are nice to have. The rear parking assist on a car this size is not needed and I don't like the looks of the "buttons" across the rear bumper.

I'm looking for an LT1 with cruise & alloys at around $19,900 or an LT2 at $21,400.
  • I like the ads for this car. In spite of the critcism of the styling I think the LTZ in the ads looks pretty good.
    edited September 2010
    Never thought in a million years that I'd ever like a domestic product ever again, but 2 have caught my eye. The Cruze looks very appealing but am also drawn to the Caddy CTS...saw one up close last night & wow...killer car! Always had Caddy's in my younger years...folks loved 'em, but this CTS looks amazing. Also, the Cruze RS in the dark grey is beautiful...very aerodynamic!

We might find a Cruze in our garage next year if I can get the wife to try one...feeling the earth move a bit under my computer...lol! It looks that good!!!

The "Import" Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

This mean they are out at the dealers now? I drove by a Chevy place today (did not stop), and didn't see any positioned out front. You want a Camaro, they had at least 10 lined up along the road.

The Chevy store is right across the street and have yet to see one. See Camaro's & Malibu's parked up front but no Cruze's as of yet. Would think the South Florida market would be on their initial launch lists also...?

• I have to say initial distribution for the Cruze has been poor. I have 4 large Chevy dealerships within 30 miles of me and none of them have even one Cruze to display.

I'm disappointed with the roll out. :( Let's hope GM gets their act in gear so we can at least look at a car that's been on sale world-wide since last year.
    edited September 2010
    Production just started about 2 weeks ago so its going to be a while before the car is widely available. I would think by late October every dealer would have a few in stock. I think they are running 3 shifts at this plant so there should plenty out there very soon. With all the ads I've seen people will be looking for these cars soon.
  • use the vehicle search feature on chevy.com. Lots of times very new models arent on display out front after they first arrive at a dealer.
  • Believe me, people are looking now. :)

Yes, I used the vehicle search at chevrolet.com and found 1 Cruze within 50 miles of me. That's 1 out of 7 dealerships! :(

Not to be negative but; this car has been in production for over 3 weeks now and I have to believe there's a problem in Lordstown. The start-up must be very slow or there'd be 20,000 Cruze's available by now and clearly that's not the case.

My guess is they're only building a handful every day which might be good in the long run. ;) I believe you're correct. It will be the end of October before they are widely available.
  • They had already built some units before the "official" start of production. I think they are going full bore right now but it takes a while to ship cars all over the US and Canada. When Gm released monthly sales data they also release production data. When the September sales come out we will see how many Cruze's have been made. I'd imagine at least 10k have been made.
  • Did a search on chevy.com and 16 models were available within 25miles of my zip code. On cars.com 13 models showed up.
  • Do you live in a major metro area? I live in a smaller area of under 300,000 people but we're 400 miles from Lordstown. Been waiting for these all year and am surprised by the distribution thus far.

Like you noted earlier, we're a month away from "full" distribution. With the TV commercials running nation-wide on Labor Day weekend, I expected a bit more availability. :confuse:
    I live in Philly. Most models in inventory were 2LS models with the 1.8L engine for about $18,000. When I went to cars.com I got totally different models, mostly 1LT models with the 1.4L engine for about $19k-$20k.

I'm still waiting for someone to do a real road test of this car.
    7200 Cruze's were made in September. I'd imagine thats half of where they expect to be if running full tilt.
  • "7200 Cruze's were made in September. I'd imagine thats half of where they expect to be if running full tilt. "

Wow! Thank you for the info. Yes, Lordstown can crank out 20,000 Units/Month so that figure is very low. It makes since though with the limited distribution we've seen. A slow start is fine as long as they get things right the first time. I'll be patient and hope to see these on the road and at dealerships everywhere in November. ;)
    Found 6 down here...with each Chevy dealer getting 1 each. They really need to ramp things up a bit...and soon! Why on earth did they not have about 10k units waiting in the wings and then start mega production...a better solution as this car is very much anticipated by the general public looking to see if Chevy can compete with the Coronda's and everything else in this category. It's gotta be better than the dismal Cobalt.
    So come on Chevy & GM, get your act together!!!

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I just saw my first Cruze as I dropped our van off at the Chevy dealer for Monday service. I like the styling, and even for an LS the car had a really quality feel to the interior. Then I saw the window sticker....45% U.S. and Canadian content, and both the engine and trans assembled in Mexico.

I feel hugely let down.

I know they have to compete with all the foreign manufacturers that don't have 100 years of history here, and the related legacy issues, but I'm still disappointed.

I'll take some solace in the fact that it's built 40 miles from where I live, and the parent company is an American corporation, but I think this car may be off my 'short' list when I'm ready for another car.

I'm too lazy to check the window sticker, but I'm nearly certain my '08 Cobalt had 80% U.S. and Canadian content, and with automatic trans both engine and trans were built in U.S. (my car is a 5-speed and the trans was built in Italy).
  • Remember you saw an "LS" with the base engine. The "LT" will be the volume model and it has a different engine.

The line is often blurred between foreign and domestic, but a GM car built in Lordstown, Ohio is domestic in my book.
    That is the NA content on the Corolla? How about the civic? I can guarantee the next Focus wont have high domestic content because like the Cruze it was primarily developed overseas.

The 1.4L turbo is made in American to my knowledge. The 1.8L in the LS obviously isn't.

The Cobalt was generally a NA only product which is why its local parts content was higher. The Cruze sold in the US is largely unchanged from whats sold in Europe and Asia- this is how things work when you have a global product.
    The corolla, Sentra, Jetta and 3 aren't built in the US so the Cruze already has an advantage over them in that regard. The new Focus will be built here but I dont expect high levels of domestic content.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    Your point is well-taken; I guess I'm just an old-fashioned guy at age 52. Plus, my entire life, I've lived 40 miles from Lordstown, OH...grew up that far east of them, in PA, and now live that far due west of them.