Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    edited January 2012
    The speed limit on INTERSTATES in New Hampshire is 65. On other limited-access and "other" roads it's only 55. Why are you fixated on interstates? Also in two other states in New England, CT and Maine, the limit on many highways is only 55.

Just because you are a "speed demon" on the highways of New England et. al. doesn't mean all Americans are. Those are the folks who have a chance to hit 50 mpg in a Cruze Eco, especially one with the 6MT. Unfortunately, looks like you wouldn't have a chance to do that. Unless you want to slow down a bit, take in the beautiful scenery of Northern MN as you drive through it on US-2. ;)
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Seriously? I don't think I'm focusing in interstates at all. I think a sustained 60 mph is way-way too slow to safely drive on most interstate stretches (assuming non-rush hour time), and 60 mph is rather fast for pretty much any non-interstate (unless we're talking roads like US-6 across Nevada, then 60 is once again too slow). Like I wrote earlier, I believe a sustained 60 is in that place where it is either too fast or too slow for safe operation in well over 90% of all driving environments here in the States.

At this point I'm done with this conversation; we're just going around in a circle.
    Shoot, you were just beginning to make sense:

I think a sustained 60 mph is way-way too slow to safely drive on most interstate stretches (assuming non-rush hour time), and 60 mph is rather fast for pretty much any non-interstate (unless we're talking roads like US-6 across Nevada, then 60 is once again too slow).

Agreed! (Except in the special case of interstates that wind through the hearts of big cities, some of those have 50-55 limits.)

Do you know how many miles of interstate highways there are in the USA? About 47,000. Know how many total highway miles there are in the USA? About 4 million. So interstate miles comprise less than 2% of all highway miles.

Conclusion: on the vast majority of highways in the USA, 60 mph is "rather fast." But a good speed at which to take a shot at 50 mpg in a Cruze Eco.
  • js06gvjs06gv Frisco, TXPosts: 178
    I manage two claims offices for a large insurance company and oversee a fleet of 65 cars. Over the years our vehicle choices have improved to decent, nicely sized cars (well, decent for company car standards - Magnum, Impala, current Taurus) but like most corporations these days we have looked for ways to cut costs. I thought it was enough of a step down when we went to all four-cylinder Malibus and Fusions last year but a decision was made to order some Cruzes for our office pool vehicles. The first one arrived on Friday and today one of the managers who reports to me drove in from our satellite office to my location for a visit. His first comment when he came into my office was "this thing doesn't have cruise control." After telling him that couldn't be, we went for a ride and he was right. Turns out that even though there is supposedly a fleet model of the Cruze, we're only getting the base LS. IIRC, cruise isn't an option at any cost on this lowest trim level. As for the car itself, I've liked the looks of the Cruze since it came out and have sat in a few but never driven one until today. Room, ride, fit and finish appear to be competitive, but man was that 1.8L one slug of an engine. I wasn't expecting a powerhouse by any stretch; just figured that 1.8 liters of displacement in a car of this size would be adequate. Freeway merging is white knuckle kinda stuff. I know the 1.4L turbo is the engine of choice in this car. I sure hope it moves it with more authority than the base engine. Too bad that this one feature sours the entire experience, at least with the slushbox.

I have three more of these things arriving in the next few weeks. I anticipate some grumbling among my employees.......

2014 Kia Optima SX Turbo, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2011 Ford Mustang GT, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,873
    No, they don't always use interstates, but there is not really an efficient way to get from Lexington, KY to Chicago, IL other than by using I-65. It would be a long and winding trip by any other method. I can speak from experience on this one, as I lived in Lexington for 6+ years and made that trip a number of times. Absent other info from the OP, one would assume he took I-65, on which the speed limit is 70 MPH. The relevance of those facts to New England driving experience escapes me.

It is highly likely - again, in the absence of other info - that the OP traveled a 70 MPH interstate averaging 60 MPH, which would generally be considered too slow, regardless of where you're from.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• m6userm6user Posts: 2,991
    edited January 2012
    I'm wonder if we're not confusing "unsafe" with "a pain in the a$$". Sure, slower traffic causes you to adjust/turn off the cruise or pull out to pass which is a pain but I'm not sure it's unsafe....especially on most parts of I-65. I think the feds/states have determined that the minimum "safe" speed is 45mph on most interstate hwys. Does a very slow driver cause some people to get mad, overreact and potentially cause a dangerous situation? Sure, sometimes, but whose fault is that....really?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited January 2012
    The slow driver. The fact is that it isn't "speed" that kills, it is "speed differential" that kills. If the average speed is say 75 mph (regardless of what is placarded on the road signs), and if 98% of the drivers are withing 5 mph of the "average", then the individual doing 60 (or less) is the one who is at fault for causing an unsafe condition.

Said another way, the individual doing 15 mph less than the average speed is no less of a danger to him or herself (and those around him or her) than the individual doing 15 mph more than the average speed.
    I don't want to start down this road, really, as that conversation has been held, and re-held, and re-re-held, over on the Auto News board, but I'll just say that vehicles travelling well above the prevailing speed of traffic, and vehicles travelling well below it, both present a hazard to other drivers... as well as creating the potential inconvenience of traffic pile-ups.

Since the original comment(s) related to MPG, I'll reel it back around to the original point, with which I agree - I don't feel that reporting 60 MPH MPG is representative of what the general driving population would experience on a similar journey, taking mostly 70 MPH speed limit roads.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

The relevance of those facts to New England driving experience escapes me.

Me too.
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,911
    edited January 2012
    it's easy to be 'fixated' on interstates, eh? also it's sometimes possible to drive 60 safely/with-flow-of-traffic on interstate in the right lane, regardless of the posted limit. I drive slow (60 mph) in right-lane especially when the left/middle lanes get absurdly stacked up with tailgators, but in 100k of driving i'll probably never find out what is the car's mpg on a roadtrip at 60 mph.

as for the 1.8LS, no cruise control but it's possible that swapping in the LT steering wheel will provide the full cruise functions. this would be consistent with some other things about the vehicle software too (for example, the non-nav/LS models paradoxically have full-function turn-by-turn nav, enabled one directions-set at a time by your friendly onstar rep.)

and I did indeed have one particular white-knuckle freeway merge with the M6 1.8LS after a fraidy-cat stopped ahead on the entrance ramp. aside from the starting from stop or slow-roll situation, with the M6 it's easy enough to keep the engine in the high-rpm power-band if you plan ahead. :
  • ken137ken137 Posts: 4
    I have a 2011 Eco that has an antifreeze smell when using the heater. It has gotten so bad that I try not to use the heater. My dealer has had 3 attempts to fix and still not fixed. Also, when I park in my garage after driving the garage ends up smelling like antifreeze. This car has had so many problems since I bought it last april. I just noticed yesterday that one of my fog lights has condensation in it. There is also a steering issue while cruising at highway speeds the steering will lock for a second and then break free. My dealer had 3 attempts at fixing this with the latest one they changed the entire rack.
    interesting re the antifreeze smell, Ken. please update here on the resolution. 3 attempts? count the days-in-shop - smells that make the driver nauseous could be considered drivability problem and maybe you can get lemonlaw swap/buyback.
    condensation in the foglight is normal in the vehicles i've owned with foglights. you can run the light and probably dry out the condensation when you see it, if you like.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,443
    Is it leaking antifreeze? Are there puddles under the car.
    Have the oil tested - that will tell you if it is leaking into the engine.
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,991
    I had a leak in a heater hose one time long ago and the antifreeze just soaked under the carpeting. Didn't drip on garage floor or nothing in oil.
    edited January 2012
    i'm up for diagnosing likely issues, but i hope that a dealership fixes it soon. due to the smell, there's no question it is leaking coolant somewhere, even if a non-measureable amount, and even if it is not found on the floor. there are 100 places it could go, including evaporating/burning-off.

due to recent experience, my #1 guess is thermostat/housing/rtv-sealant or any other sealant used for thermostat/housing. [ no idea if the cruze motor(s) thermostat is like that for GM LS2 however]
    to reproduce&find this leak, the dealership had to leave the car idling in the shop for a Long Time. For me it would be evident after driving & parking in garage- smell of coolant in garage - some tiny droplets on garage floor. Also it would be evident on a cold-start - the initial rush of air from vents would very smell coolant-ish. Again, root cause for it was thermostat.
  • This is a little late.
    I just bought a 2012 1LT Cruze and was told just about the same thing. The finance guy ran the VIN and the Cruze was eligible for my GM Card 2K rebate plus ONE of the following: USAA $750 or GM loyalty $500.
    Even the $500 Military credit did not work. No credit union either. But when I bought my 2011 Sierra all the rebates were able to be stacked.

I was getting 1K below MSRP on the Cruze but it was added back on because I was hugely upside down on my trade. Oh and this was in Northern California. Lots of inventory with all colors. Mostly Eco's and 1LT's with extra options. Very little 2LT or LTZ.

Anyway I love the car and I'm glad I bought it.
    If you recently considered a hybrid but decided on a fuel-efficient non-hybrid instead, please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, February 3, 2011 to share your story.
    Please include your daytime contact information and a few words about the decision you made.

• Getting 34.5 mostly highway on mine 2012 LT1 auto. I chose it over the Eco since I'm only leasing and the Eco upgrade wont pay for itself in 2 yrs. I also didnt like the smaller gas tank and special tires needed for it. It's been great so far.

I hit a lot of hills. Anyone know if shifting the automatic into neutral is bad for the tranny? Reason I ask is that it came with an updated loose manual page saying don't tow it in neutral with all four wheels on the ground.

Oh and save your breath if you feel compelled to tell me it's illegal tho....I already know that.
  • gparagpara Posts: 23
    Coasting down hill in neutral is OK as long as engine is running/idling, but you can use decel fuel cut off, back off throttle completely and let it go, decel works between 1100 and 1800rpm, shuts off fuel completely and restarts when throttle is pressed, I use it all the time when coming to stoplites or going down hill, really adds to the bottom line in fuel economy. Might as well take advantage of all the design efforts that went into car. Hills are the tuffest part for economy, I usually hold at "0" vacuum in whatever gear I can still climb hill and not loose too much speed, the turbo is nice but when you go into boost mode it uses more fuel than just keeping engine at load and no boost. I have tried using low boost 2-4 pounds but I can beat it by downshifting and keeping out of boost area.
    I would like to know if everyone is having issues with cold engine warm-up time???? I installed my own fully functioning coolant temp gauge and at any temp below 45 degrees warm-up time is very long especially if you driving for fuel economy. Today I did a 2 minute warm-up all accesories on, headlite bright, fan on high defrost heater control to cold. Drove 5 miles hard acceloration up hill, turbo boost and it was still at 180 after 14 minutes. Front shutter was closed the entire time and electric thermostat was still closed when I returned???????.
    I know that the engine is very efficient but quick warm-up is essential to fuel economy. 180 is not bad but specs call for 210 normal temp.
    Second test in 20 degree temp was worse, no warm-up after 7 miles engine temp was still 170 with 3 people in the car.
    I have installed a lower radiator hose coolant heater, it went bad after 5 uses, but it seemed to help if put on about 1/2 hour before I use the car. It did set trouble codes twice but not with any repeatability that I could see. Temp gauge would go to cold and check lite would be on and cooling fan running. Code set was for engine coolant temp sensor improper operation, but would only set about 4 miles into first trip ad then not every time. I had to clear codes with scan tool to restore everything to normal.
    How long does it take for your car to warm up on gauge 1 tick before 1/2????
    I expect automatics and standard models to heat up quicker because they waste more fuel.
    edited February 2012
    i have 1.8L cruze stick and it warms up about the same as you are reporting, starting in an attached-garaged at 20F above outdoor temp. i don't care so much when it gets fully warmed up, only when it will start giving cabin heat on a frigid winter morning, and that it warms up 10x faster than VW TDI did !
    maybe there is something funky with the Eco grille-flaps (?) - aren't there some closable flaps - like diesels use to block the radiator? on eco are they controlled by ECM? maybe they are a factor you can control or are malfunctioning? seems like they could affect coolant temp big time in winter.
    About the grill shutter, I have a switch on the shutter to monitor when it closes, it is closed the entire time. Heat will start at about 160 degrees.
    This morning I used lower hose heater, on 10 minutes started and idle 20 seconds, shut off and left it for another 10 minutes, my temp was at 150 1.5 miles out and at 4 miles was at 180 which is acceptable but I did not use the heater and I started at 38 degrees. This will do the job, I plan to remove heater and hose for warmer weather, already got a new hose ordered thru GM.
    I am surprised that the 1.8L warms up so slow, not known for it's efficiency.
    I think GM needs to offer an engine pre-heater for moderate to cold temps on all these smaller cars.
    Gary
    engine-block-heater is nifty option, I actually had one on an LG4 V8 - but it leaked after a few years - requiring freeze-plug-replacement !..

cool about the grill shutter. i was wondering what would happen if i took the eco grill shutter set up and put it onto the front of a 1.8L cruze. some sort of matter/antimatter implosion perhaps... ;)

g-man, the distances you are mentioning still seem amazingly low for anything resembling full warmup. these cars warm up SUPER fast in my opinion, since I am measuring by cabin heat not coolant temp. I dump max heat into the cabin intentionally, as soon as the coolant gets any warmth at all. the item i wish for is a heated steering wheel...

possibly consider that the engine is NOT warmed up when the coolant reaches whatever temp you want, 180, 195, 210, whatever... it takes another 10 minutes for the block to warm to that temp, after the coolant, man!

On the VW TDIs, some folks would put a foam tube thing around the grille/airdam crossmember, to physically block some of the grille, and to allow the engine to retain heat in winter. I never tried that and don't recommend it for your Cruze! There were some mornings/days where I would drive TDI 75 mph for 25 minutes and it would never get fully warmed up.
  • car has been in shop 15 days now and supposedly they have received the heater core so it should be installed today. I should know by tomorrow at the latest what the outcome is.
    Here's hoping it will be fixed, ken137 - best wishes .
  • budman21budman21 Posts: 7
    edited February 2012
    Have had my LT for about a month now. Very pleased overall. Minor things are lack of interior trunk release, only one convenience outlet, no cargo net, strong smell from off-gassing of plastics, and no light in glove box. Get the turbo version. You won't regret it.
  • 2011 Cruze LT1 Turbo. Now 30,000 miles after 13 months. No complaints except periodic rattle from drivers' side pillar. Each time I take it to dealer the rattle disappears but some other times it sounds like a pop can is in there. Mileage decent not great at 29-30 MPG HWY, but I do drive pretty fast. I like the way it drives and find the cabin comfortable and decent quality. Backseat is more or less unfit for adult humans.
  • Took a trip down to Austin, TX Saturday from Frisco, TX ~ 4 hour drive all highway. Filled up the tank the night before and averaged 42.7 down and then 45.3 on the way back without resetting the gauge. My instant/50 mile average touched 50.0 at one point and I drove an average of 67.8 mph with highway speeds between 70-80mph. Absolutely love this car!

2012 ECO ~7650 miles
    A reporter is looking to interview parents who own a Chevy Cruze Eco, Toyota Prius V and/or Honda Civic Hybrid. If you are willing to share your experience with the car, please email PR@edmunds.com no later than March 10, 2012.

at 15k miles, still no data to know what 1.8 M6 gets on 100% highway cruise. 33 mpg in commute/stop-and-go/highway/around-town; never zeroed the avg-mpg meter.

with fuel prices increasing, the tradeoff # of miles is decreasing, the tradeoff point where eco costs less overall than non-eco cruze. maybe tradeoff point is below 100k miles with fuel at $5/gallon ...

i'm hoping to trade for an electric-Cruze before 100k miles. (Volt!) Or a Corvette, not sure which.

btw, in the eco, isn't it sort of cheating that they increased mpg by reducing fuel tank size by 15% just to save the weight?