Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110
    edited October 2010
    --

On the Cruze...

Why is there some kind of lock\unlock button on the center stack?

What is the lock\unlock button for?... The radio?... The HVAC?

--
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,630
    well, that is normally the symbol for th epower locks. Possible that they have 1 center mounted button instead of having one on each door.

I beleive this is a common way to do it in Europe for some reason.

If nothing else, it saves costs, only having 1 instead of 2!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

• overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    The center mounted lock button is found on the Regal and Equinox too. The Focus has this as well. You really dont use the lock button much on modern cars so its a nonissue to me.
    The 1.4L turbo is made in the US so the LT and LTZ models with have more US content.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,986
    I use the lock button constantly on my Buick. Just a habit I got into with my previous car when I open the drivers door to get out; I push the lock button to invoke the delayed locking function. If I were to buy a Cruse I guess I'd have to retrain myself to use the remote.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• homerkchomerkc Posts: 113
    Will the Cruze with 1.4 turbo be available with a manual trans (other than the ECO)? I'm not willing to give up my manual trans, but don't want the ECO with various stuff removed to max out EPA ratings.

Anyone know?
  • homerkc: The base Cruze LS comes with a manual tranny as standard equipment. This car has the 1.8L engine of course.

If you want the 1.4T engine and a stick shift, then you have to go with the ECO model.
  • ab348: I'm the same as you. I use the lock button on the driver's door every time I get out of my Lucerne. I noticed in pics of the Cruze that there is no lock button on the door so the center console it is..... :surprise:

I agree it's no big deal though. Use the remote or hit the center console button after you crack the door open. Works for me. I do want to downsize from my Lucerne next year and the Cruze is at the top of my list. The 60-series tires on the LT should ride well and they say it's as quiet as a Lexus. :D
    I have never used the button on the door to lock it. Just the remote, so I may not even know there no button on the door!

also, maybe there will be a future SS model with some more HP and a 6 speed stick and sporty suspension.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (daughter stole that one), and 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again)

Originally they said no SS version was in the works but later reports suggested that GM was again working on high performance models aside from the V series Cadillacs and ZR1. I think there will be a lot of pressure on Chevy to do an SS and hopefully they will comply. They already have the 2L turbo so its a no brainer.

I think the center locks are going to become more and more common. I rarely use the button so it doesn't matter to me. The car unlocks automatically when you shift into park and the doors can be locked with the fob.
  • I saw an LT2 at my local dealership today and was very impressed. It does look far better in person than in photos. Almost a German look that reminds me of a small BMW. This will be my next car.
    funny you said that because when I saw it in the flesh at Philly auto show I too thought it reminded me of a 3 series sedan for some reason. There is something about the arc of the roof that reminds you of more expensive small sedans- it also reminds me of the Volvo S40 sedan.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hello folks,just returned from my local chevy dealer down here in pembroke pines fla to check out the new 2011 chevy cruze.in my opinion this car is a rip-off for the price and the features and the lack of power.they had 2 cruzes on the lot.1LS model and 1 1LT model.the 1LT model with the turbo engine had a msrp of $19,100.00.......that's alot of money for a compact car with only 140 HP,no standard cruise control or rear disk brakes.......on the other other hand i also looked at a 2011 mazda 3 across the street from the chevy dealer.msrp for 2011 mazda 3 I touring is $19,500.00 and includes 148 HP,cruise control,rear disk brakes,better handling and much better resale value..chevy is charging way to much for to little of a car when it comes to the cruze..there are far to many better choices out there for almost $20,000.00.......
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    You could already tell "better handling" from a test drive and you can also predict resale value?
    Sounds like your mind was already made up before you tested the car. You failed to mention Corolla, Focus and Sentra dont have 4 wheel discs standard. The 3 is one of the few compacts that has them across the board.

How do you know resale for Cruze already? You have secret info we don't? The Cruze hasnt even been tested with real numbers yet but early reviews have been impressed with ride and handling. I'm pretty sure a Cruze 1LS has better mileage, better tranny, more space, larger trunk and Onstar vs Mazda3.
  • How can a car be a "rip-off" if you didn't buy it? :P

Chevrolet developed a premium small car in the Cruze. The 10hp difference you noted means little. It's torque that counts and where in the rev band it's produced. 148hp at 6,000 rpms means next to nothing for the average driver who never goes over 5,000 rpms. The Cruze will be quieter and ride smoother than the 3.

If you can't afford a quality 2011 vehicle that stickers for under $20K, hit the pre-owned lot.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    edited October 2010
    All 3 of you are making statements without even driving this poor car...and the funny part is y'all don't see that you're doing the same thing. Guys, y'all are turning this forum into a pissing match about which team is better and making opinionated statements to back up your claims. Stop already!! Jeeez louise!!

Once we get to drive it can we make "personal opinions" about the car...PERSONAL OPINIONS ARE NOT FACTS...just individual perceptions. It seems the same 3 "chevy " guys are pushing some sort of agenda here, biased based on their liking chevy . I personally want to drive all the cars, back to back if possible, to come up with "my opinions" based on real time experience. So enough with the pissing already and go drive 'em so y'all can make an honest assesment.

Backy, I'm depending on you to do the test drives, as these other folks in here already have tainted opinions. At least you go in with no preconceived notions when you test drive. Backy...I'm counting on you!!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,730
    could be doors or windows.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    The locks have the traditional lock/unlock icons which means they are for the locks and not the window lockout feature. Agreed that it's an awkward position for them, but maybe it's a reminder thing since it's near to where one will be pulling the key out. Not a bad location...really.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• You're right that I have not test driven the Cruze yet but objective statistics are available from many road tests. 10 Airbags is an objective stat. 68dBa interior sound level at 70mph is objective as is the fact that lower profile tires ride more harshly than higher profile.

There are hundreds of cars being made that I will never drive. Does that mean I have no quantifiable opinion of them? Does a summation of a dozen independent road tests mean anything? It must or we'd have many automotive journalists out of work.

I'm a quality engineer who used to work for GM in the 1990's by the way.
  • hilltrothilltrot Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    You mean you walked across the street from the Mazda dealership where you worked to lie about the competition. At $19,500 you get cruise control on the cruze as well. You're argueing for 8 more horsepower which gets worse mileage than an SUV.

The Mazda is noisy, noisy, noisy. The automatic transmission is old and dated. You also have to pay $1000 more for an automatic. The interior quality as well as seats are inferior on the Mazda. The Back seat of the Mazda 3 is so small as to be unusable. Etc, etc.

I'm not going to say there is no reason to buy a Mazda, but you are seriously one-sided in your opinion. If you are willing to murder your ride quality, noise levels, build quality, ownership costs, and interior comfort for a better handling car, go for a Mazda. It's an ok car. Hell, I've driven a 2003 Mazda Protege5 105,000 miles and didn't even think twice about buying a crappy Cobalt. But at the same time Mazda hasn't made me want to upgrade either. And I've done a number of Mazda test drives.

The cruze, however, is a car I'm looking forward to having.

The Cruze
    So you are suggesting one cant learn anything about a car unless they are test driving it? Honeslty, most test drives are 15min at the most and don't tell you much about a car. You are really overstating the value of a brief test drive. If research and comparison of specs and reviews wasnt important sites like edmunds.com wouldnt be successful. Whether you like it or not lots can be learned from reviews and internet research. What we know so far is that the Cruze is quiet, has class leading airbags, standard 6 speed transmissions, lots of space, class leading trunk. a few exclusive features and great safety ratings in Europe. Sorry, but that does count for SOMETHING in my book.What do you plan to learn during a test drive that would drastically alter your perception of the car?
    Good point about the auto. Its standard on LT and LTZ and competitors prices dont include optional autos which typically cost about $800-$1000. Automakers know few get the manuals but listing each trim with a manual allows for lower prices to be advertised. Ford said 90% of compact buyers get automatics and thats why the new Focus wont offer a manual on SEL or Titanium trims.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,447
    It stinks to be in the 10% though. Stuck with all the bottom of the rung models. I would pay extra to not have an automatic.

I would like an ECO with leather seats and a stick. No chance that will be available. Fortunately VW has a few diesel models that could work.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Here is to GM making a better quality product than they have ever done in the past.

Here is what was previously been built at Lordstown:

1971-1977 Chevrolet Vega
    1971-1994 Chevrolet Van
    1971-1994 GMC Vandura
    1975-1977 Pontiac Astre
    1977-1980 Chevrolet Monza/Pontiac Sunbird
    1978-1979 Buick Skyhawk/Oldsmobile Starfire
    1982-1994 Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac J-2000/Sunbird
    1995-1997 Chevrolet Cavalier/Pontiac Sunfire
    1998-2005 Chevrolet Cavalier
    1998-2005 Pontiac Sunfire
    2005-2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
    2005-2009 Pontiac G5/Pursuit/G4

There is no a quality winner in the bunch.
    It requires a lot of faith in GM to believe they will now operate differently than they have for 40 years.
    Local dealer in NJ put a banner on their Sunday paper ad that the Cruze was now in stock. So they must be getting out there.

• uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I see you conveniently left out the Pontiac Firebird, and full-size Chevrolet lineup (Impala, Caprice, et al) from '66-70--the standard bearer of full-size cars then, and best-regarded of that era, now--and built at Lordstown.
  • lexan1965lexan1965 Posts: 118
    edited October 2010
    I've bought Dodge for the past 15 years or so, it's time for a change! This past weekend the wife and I were cruising (no pun intended!) through a chevy dealership in town. They happened to have 2 new Cruze LS models sitting right in front. We went inside and asked to take a test drive. The exterior catches your eye right off, very pleasing lines. As soon as we got into the Cruze and shut the door it was quiet! The dashboard "wraps"around you and the seats hug your body. Mind you, I'm 6"-4" and weigh 250 lbs. and I had plenty of room from my legs to the top of my head. As we took off into traffic, onto a busy highway, the Cruze offered plenty of "pep" with the 1.8l engine as we merged into traffic. The cornering and handling was very impressive to the both of us. The sound-deadening materials Chevy put into the Cruze is everything they are advertising, very quiet! No road noise at all, and the engine is barely audible unless speeding up onto an on-ramp or passing. Although this was only the LS model we were both very impressed with our 20 minute test drive. I have 4 months until my Dodge Caliber is paid off and then I'm buying a Cruze! We're planning on getting a LT1 or LT2 when ready for the extras we want. If I was going to buy a car with the basics on it, I would have bought the LS we drove in a heartbeat...only $18,100. If you haven't test driven one, do it!
  • Are you sure the ECO model will not have leather available? I hadn't heard that yet.
    You provided no proof of anything you stated. The cobalt was actually rated average by CR in reliability. It wasnt recommended because of its road test score. The Cruze wasprimarily developed overseas so its engineering has nothing to do with the old American cars on your list. Different GM, different people, different era. Do you really think the average prospective Cruze buyer under 30 knows much about the Sunbird or Vega?