Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• eliaselias Posts: 1,898
    cans3, nice with the Cruze views. i'll be getting my new Cruze LS tinted next week. it's same styling as that LTZ basically but way lower $ ;) :) :shades: :shades: :shades:
    here the tint will be back windows only however ; front windows are not allowed to be tinted, except for 6 inch strip on top of windshield.
    .................................Cruze - be there - aloha.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent buyers of the Chevy Cruze, who previously owned a non-GM vehicle. If you care to share your comments, please email your daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5:00pm Pacific, Monday, August 8, 2011.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• I am considering a Cruze, but do not own one. For any of you who have already changed your oil canister, this question is about putting on the NEW filter, after you have removed the OLD one. Can you pre-fill the NEW filter with 8 ounces (or 100 ml) of new oil BEFORE you install the new canister back on the engine? Or do you have to install a dry filter, and start the engine to fill the canister with oil (which starves the turbocharger of oil until the canister has filled and oil pressure finally builds up)?

Other questions: Does the Reusable Canister Metal Shell come off as a one-piece cylinder with an end cap (like a soup can, open at the bottom)? Or does it come off in two pieces (a long hollow cylinder around the sides of the filter, and the end cap that has the 24-mm nut on it?)

Please comment on the ease and messiness of changing a filter. Thanks.
  • brueggiebrueggie Posts: 46
    I had ours recently done at the dealer - 1st oil change is free - and I asked the mechanic working on it what size socket he used to take off the filter. He picked it up and read off 15/16. I made the comment that it looked a lot easier than changing the canister on the new Equinox's and he said definitely. I guess when I go to change it at 10K miles I will have more to add here, but from what I can tell it doesn't seem to be very difficult at all. Don't know about the filling of the new canister with oil or not - may be best to ask the dealership, hopefully they would give you a straight answer!
    seems there are other reports of occasional bluetooth problems, and i am seeing the symptoms with my cruze-tooth too.
    sometimes the car bluetooth thinks it is connected, directs phone to call, but does not realize iphone has complied and says 'unable to call'. meanwhile the call is connected but either not available on the bluetooth, or has 1-way audio.

for now, the workaround is to make a test call to a machine before calling someone for real.
    if the problem occurs, i reboot my iphone. disabling/reenabling the bluetooth seems to work also.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,739
    I understand iPhones in general are balky with automotive bluetooth implementations. The problem is with Apple, not the car.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,232
    Agreed. If you look at Edmunds' Long-Term Road Test blog you'll see many entries noting BlueTooth issues and every single time the phone in question is an iPhone. I don't know why none of the IL drivers use Android (the market leader) or any other smartphone OS. I wish some of them would as it would provide a better reporting experience when talking about the cars they're driving, but whatever.

BTW, Apple's issues aren't just with BT. There are also posts about playing music while plugged in via USB that note issues that don't exist when using other USB devices.
  • smilonsmilon Posts: 6
    The oil filter is located on top of the engine built into the engine block. I recommend draining oil first, replacing drain plug, then removing plastic filter cap. Sometimes the cap is stubborn coming off. I bought a breaker bar with the appropriate socket. Replacing the filter is easy, it's a small paper cylinder with top and bottom made of plastic. Once you have replaced the filter,make sure you do not over tighten or under tighten the cap.The cap may also have a small rubber ring gasket. If you over tighten the cap the ring gasket will squeeze out and you may leak oil.This system is similar to the Cobalts which were very easy for oil changes.When you have tightened the plastic oil filter cap and added new oil, run the ngine and check for leaks around the drain plug and around the oil cap with your finger(careful it's hot).If you take it to anoilchange place be careful. They use recycled oil which may not be good for your engine. I prefer changing it myself or using a Chevy dealer.Smilon
  • I'm interested in the Cruze LS with manual trans - it's got everything I need except cruise control. Any way to get cruise on the LS? Also, for those that have the LS with manual trans, what rpm are you spinning at 60mph in 6th.?
    forget about the cruise control on the LS for 2011 but it maybe available in 2012 as an option, but also the LS seats lose a degree of freedom.

get the bluetooth for sure.

how often do you actually use cruise control, king dome?
    only on looooong cross-country cruises is it useful for me - barely usable anywhere on east coast where I drive.

maybe about 2250 rpm at 60 mph; i'll look closer if highway traffic ever goes that slow aside from onramps.
    there's NO TORQUE at 60 mph in 6th, of course, but keep it at more typical highway speeds 30% faster, and there's plenty for passing on flat highways.

solid/repeatable 35 mpg on the first few tanks.
  • Thanks for the note elias. I'm retired and my wife and I are constantly doing looong drives, so I use cruise often and gotta have it. I guess I could do aftermarket, but don't want to.
    you are most welcome, king.

on those looong drives the cruise is must-have.
    Maybe the Eco is for you if you prefer to row your own gears, for $2k more.
    or for $3k beyond that... have you ever driven a camaro?!

my loooong drive record is 1237 miles in one day. all in daylight, chicago to rock-springs wyoming, left an hour after sun-up, arrived at sunset. :)
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    What did you mean re LS seats lose a degree of freedom?
  • Wow, that's too long for us. We typically do 750 - 900 miles per day. And we are audio book junkies - you can really lose yourself for hours on the road in the stories. It's really kinda scary, like - 'how did I get to Las Cruces - last I remember we were in Tucson.' Last book was 'Shantaram', truly absorbing 40 hour 'read'.

AND I've just been looking at a very interesting online discussion on Cruze cruise control. It seems it's already there, on every Cruze - including LS. Folks are just replacing the steering wheel with one that has the cruise buttons on it ($100 or so) and it works. There is some difference of opinion on whether you need the connectivity option or not.
    edited August 2011
    king, that is awesome possibility about replacing the steering wheel so easily. Wow.
    also it's consistent with:
    LS has no nav option but has all nav software built-in and operable on the monochrome display, with directions/destinations programmable only by an OnStar rep. i only used it once, for the demo on the way back from dealership. i am anti-NAV!

backy, i read somewhere that the manual seat mechanisms change in cruze for 2012, and that there are fewer adjustments. it was a factor in my decision to go with 2011.

for audio 'book', I recommend Feynman's _6 easy pieces_ CDs .

ps - i find 900 miles per day the maximum anywhere near the left or right coasts but with the higher speeds allowed kindly by the constabulatory between illinois & CA, I've found it's possible to do more miles in fewer hours out there. :shades:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,681
    Shoot, the dual manual height adjusters were one of the features I really liked on the Cruze. It seems way too early to start taking features AWAY from the car, given the strong competition in this class. It's little things like that which let the Cruze stand out in the crowded field.
    yes, it's the height/tilt adjuster which is absent for 2012, making a 6-way manual seat instead of 8-way. i may not have discovered 5 of the ways, actually. maybe that's why they got rid of one of the adjustments - too complicated!?

the manual seat change it was a factor in my decision to go with 2011, along with 2013/diesel being just too long for my GM card rebate to wait.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,963
    A reporter is interested in talking with consumers about how fuel economy requirements are changing what people drive. He is looking for consumers who consider fuel economy their top consideration while shopping for vehicles that range from pickups to luxury cars to EVs. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply with your name, phone number and email address to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm Pacific this Wednesday, September 21st.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• gparagpara Posts: 23
    For all hypermilers, I installed a vacuum/pressure gauge to monitor engine load and throttle movement. It showed boost pressure of 15psi then backing down to 12 or so under heavy load. The cruze is an eco stick and I my goal of 50mpg average on trips is realized about 95% of the time. I drive 60mph interstate and 55 local roads but the trick is not to go into boost very often and keep vacuum as high as possible while no loosing any road speed. I also take full advantage of the decel fuel cutoff, works above 1300 rpm in all gears so if you lift your foot off it will shut fuel OFF completely until the 1300rpm is reached, you can downshift to next gear and keep rpm up to stay in that mode while coasting to stop instead of using neutral coast.
    The car delivers 54mpg at 60mph with 5 inches of vacuum load. I use 6th gear as low as 35mph, being carefull not to let the engine lug at those low rpms.
    Anyone else have any tips they have discovered with this great car????
    gpara, that is impressive. i haven't driven a tank of pure highway at 55 or 60 with my non-turbo cruze LS but the shift-light is always telling me to drive in 6th gear at 35 mph. it actually works on flat ground but i find it counterproductive with maintaining proper/low speed on back roads. so a full tank @ 60 mph may never happen for me, but I look forward to having the time to do that some year!

what are some of your actual mpg distance/gallons for an entire tank, with some non-highway driving included?

also to increase mpg you must minimize A/C use. I don't like A/C much but have not found a way to turn off the A/C compressor with HVAC in the defrost or defrost+feet position. Do you know how to turn off the A/C while setting on "defrost"? tnx!