Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• fushigifushigi Posts: 1,218
    I've not witnessed any issues with Hyundai gas tanks and I don't recall reading of any here on the forum (though I could have missed the posts). Which models were affected? I ask as my wife had an '01 Elantra and my sister still owns an '04 Sonata. We both live in the snow belt so our vehicles are exposed to road salt.

I am familiar with the Sonata subframe rust issue, but that was fixed free of charge. There was also a front strut assembly rust issue on the Elantra which was fixed free as part of a recall campaign.

So yes, I freely admit that Hyundai has had probably more than their fair share of rust issues since 2000, but the ones I have heard of have been handled free of charge.

In an attempt to make this about the Cruze, when my wife was looking for a car to replace the '01 Elantra, the Cruze was on her short list. We liked how quiet it was. Power from the 1.4T was good. Ride was overly firm, though, and sitting in the passenger seat I couldn't get comfortable due to the position of the door arm rest. It was too high to comfortably rest my arm. The Cruze wound up as her second choice due to a few factors, which I've detailed elsewhere in the forums.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,579
    I'd put our car up against any others made today...this car has been the most reliable car we've ever owned...period! And with 100k coming within days, have no complaints about it. Excellent car which the wife might buy again. It'll come down to the Mazda3 and the Verano, but quality/reliability wise, I think Mazda will be the winner hands down. GM has done an admiral job with the Verano/Cruze but I still think the Mazda3 is the better car after owning one for over 6 years now.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• gpara
    Your posting was quite informative and compelling given your experience and occupation.

Eveyone needs to know the Cruze with the 1.4L Turbo engine does NOT have a timing belt that may break and destroy a $3-4000.00 engine like so many others ..

Also the engine block is Cast Iron, this is for a reason.

The Turbo is rather inexpensive to replace, earlier forced induction systems like the Ford Turbo T-bird of some 20+ years ago cost about $2500.00

The Cruze turbo is a mere $650 RETAIL and 2.0 hrs to R&R, btw it has a "core" charge so obviously it's an easy rebuild..

My attempt to purchase a Cruze has NOT been successful as of yet.

Dealership claims of "limited" availability yielded this:

www.cars.com
    Your Search Returned the Following
    1313 New 2012 Chevrolet Cruze models within 150 miles of your ZIP, 3016*
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The main item which moved the Cruze ECO up above the new SkyActiv Mazda3 on our short list was the exteme limitations Mazda puts on options for those of us who wish to stir our own gears. Prior to our discovery of how Mazda limits the options, the Mazda3 was our top choice for our new car; after said discovery, the Mazda3 was removed from the list entirely and every other car ratched up accordingly.
  • backy;
    Quote" what is the factual basis for your assertion? And have you owned any Korean cars, especially within the last 10 years or so, to allow you to make a good comparison of the quality of Korean vehicles compared to American and Japanese vehicles? "

Personally, no I have not but have several friends who own Mom & Pop repair shops and one pal with a 10~yr old Kia.

From my wrench pals, the Koreans have yet to match the Americans much less the Japanese in overall mechanical quality.

My pal who bought a Kia with a 100k "Bumper to Bumper" 7 yr warranty, well this may have been offered by the dealership in Atlanta, however it was NOT honored as it was explained to him.
    [*note* read the fine print]

A stab at Japanese cars, while generally durable, WHEN they DO break, the parts costs are usually 2-4x more than similar American parts.

To be fair, compare parts for a Benz or BMW,, OUCH, the words Break My Wallet [BMW] are now painfully clear.

On the BBC show, Top Gear, the coil pack went out on a 12cyl Benz 2-door coupe, I forget the exact price but it seems like some 1200q or $1800~

I hope no one thinks I have issues with ANY country !
    I'd buy a Chinese or Russian vehicle, given the right circumstances.

The One and Only issue I have with the Koreans is their treatment of canines. I do NOT object to the eating of dogs, I do however have a problem with the torture prior to slaughter.
    For centuries the method has been to induce torture to the animal, this causes large amounts of Adrenaline to be produced, which makes the meat more appealing to a certain culture group in Korea.

www.thepetitionsite.com › Animal Abuse › Farm Animals › Pets

You will find several websites that claim this to be an urban myth, much like you will find many sites claiming the dispersant used in the Gulf of Mexico to be as harmless as dish-washing liquid.
  • drvettedrvette Posts: 99
    edited December 2011
    M6user'
    "Nothing above was indicated to be in the past. You're the one that said "if I drive" which indicates to me present tense"

Sorry, you are correct, my continued and constant desecration of the English language continues to confuse those poor folks who attempt to decypher..

My apologies.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,628
    My pal who bought a Kia with a 100k "Bumper to Bumper" 7 yr warranty, well this may have been offered by the dealership in Atlanta, however it was NOT honored as it was explained to him.

It was not a manufacturer warranty. Kia has never offered a 7-year bumper to bumper warranty. I don't think much of warranties backed only by a dealer. I don't see what a dealer-offered warranty has to do with the subject of relative vehicle quality.

I also don't see how Korean dietary preferences have ANYTHING to do with a discussion of relative vehicle quality.

I hope no one thinks I have issues with ANY country !

I think you have made it clear that you have an issue with at least one country... which might be coloring your opinion of their cars?

I've owned or leased over 20 vehicles--American, Japanese, and Korean--including 3 Korean vehicles over the past 11 years. I'd put those Korean cars up against anything from America or Japan in the same price class over that time. And the quality has improved markedly in the past 10 years... really no comparison from what is available now vs. 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago.

Back to the Cruze... there's many things I like about it, including its quietness, well-trimmed interior, and great FE with the Eco. But I've decided to take it off my top-tier list for my next car after driving it in two one-week rentals recently. First, I found the steering more disconnected than I'd like. (These were LTs, btw.) Second, the rear seat is cramped for the size of the car--really no more usable leg room than in some smaller cars. Third, to get the Eco that I'd prefer will run around $19k. And I think there's some very good alternatives I like better for less money. If the Eco 6MT comes down in price before I am ready to buy, I might re-consider, but it would have to beat out the likes of the Mazda3 Skyactiv, Focus SE, Impreza, Elantra GLS, and Accent SE. And all of those but the Elantra are available as a hatch, which I prefer--another strike on the Cruze for me.
    I liked the SkyActiv auto I drove but the wife has since let me know that she wants at least the 2.3 liter on her next ride so that leaves the Mazda3s and the new Verano on her short list. I knocked the Focus off just because besides the leather, it's a Ford. The Elantra isn't entirely off the list, I do want her to drive one just to get her reaction. And even though she likes the 3 Series, she won't spend that kind of cash on any car.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited December 2011
    Interesting, the new 2.0 liter has almost exactly the same power numbers as the old 2.3 which used to be in the Mazda3 s models. Consider the following:

----------------------- 2009 2.3 liter ---- 2012 2.0 SkyActiv -----
    - HorsePower: ---- 156 @ 6,500 ------- 155 @ 6,000
    - Torque LBFT: ---- 150 @ 4,500 ------- 148 @ 4,100

Given that the output numbers are almost a statistical dead-heat, and given that the SkyActiv motor produces its peak numbers at lower RPMs, my bet is that, all else being equal (which it rarely is), the 2.0 liter SkyActiv motor would actually "feel" faster.

As a point of comparison, even though the Chevy Cruze "only" puts out 138 horsepower, by virtue of its forced induction it twists out some 148 LBFT of torque at an extremely low 1,850 RPMs, and as such, even though it has by far the smallest displacement of the group, it might could well "feel" the quickest (once again, all else being equal).

Given that I didn't get a chance to drive either the Cruze ECO 6-Speed or the Mazda3 SkyActiv 6-Speed, I can only speculate on the above.
    When I drove it last week, our '05 2.3 car felt livelier and had more torque...it just feels faster when you push the accelerator...even my 1.8 in my Civic seemed to accelerate faster! The Verano is looking better and better to be really honest! :)

Hmmm, sounds like the SkyActiv automatic transmission is so heavily optimized for fuel economy it refuses to gear-down for a little spirited performance. Remember when I said, "all else being equal"; apparently the transmissions are far from that. :)
  • gparagpara Posts: 23
    Hi group I was working on my 2011 cruze eco and was checking the calibration marks on the gauge, it starts to move at 120 and each mark after appears to be 10 degrees to 1/2 scale which was 198 but I noticed that the temp kept getting hotter, using scan tool to check temp, gauge stopped at 1/2 and never moved about, I let temp get to 235 before cooling fan came on and gauge still showed 1/2 or 198. I unhooked temp sensor and it showed -40 and shorted which showed 289 degrees F which all seemed normal. What good is the gauge if won't tell you that the engine is getting hot?????
    Any else notice this, I have 7k miles and never has it gone above 1/2 or will it drop down when running cooler as thermostat opens ect.
    This seems to be a software problem, since the gauge is run from the serial data from the engine computer????
    Any comments???
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,836
    edited December 2011
    gpara, as far as i understand, typical vehicle coolant gauges are programmed to behave exactly as you describe. they are not meant to read as linear gauges. the reason is to reduce the number of customers thinking something is wrong when coolant temp is within normal range, and costing service/warranty $ when there is no problem. in other words, knowing the real coolant temp can be considered "too much information" for the average driver.
    to see the real coolant temp, possibly you will have to start the car in a way that enables the dashboard's diagnostic mode, and then find the coolant-temp screen via some menu. not sure if there is a way to do that on cruze but if I find out, I will follow up here. On my pontiac the way to do it is to start the engine while holding the dashboard 'mode' or 'set' buttons down.
    also to nitpick, I'm sure you already know that the gauge is neither measuring engine temperature nor oil temperature - it is measuring coolant temperature.
    edited December 2011
    Simple answer, your car (as with virtually every other car these days) has want can euphemistically be called an "Idiot Gauge". Said gauge is slaved to the OBD-II system, and as long as the coolant temperature is within the acceptable range, the gauge won't move from the "normal" position. The problem with such gauges is that when things start getting too hot, you see normal-normal-normal-tooeffinghot!
    "I also don't see how Korean dietary preferences have ANYTHING to do with a discussion of relative vehicle quality"

If you had read CAREFULLY, you'd noticed that I do NOT have a problem with Koreans eating dogs, it was the "treatment" of the animals prior to slaughter that my was my issue.

"I think you have made it clear that you have an issue with at least one country... which might be coloring your opinion of their cars? "

Yes, in the respect of the [IMHO] inhumane treatment of the canines, I do reserve the option to be "opinionated" against Korea's auto industry.

Also, my 3+ decades with Southern Company, and the over 10k employees who post on intra-net boards and personal contact, has led to insight regarding most vehicle makers.
    The Koreans MAY have improved quality, but in the first decade or so, the build quality was somewhat reminiscent of the Yugo.

A discussion of this nature could also point the finger inwards, as WE, the police of the world, maintain our "Right-by-Might" to pursue High Seas Piracy,

[and 20 gazillion other World Court & Geneva Convention Rules violations]

by boarding vessels in international waters and seizing cargo supposedly bound for the USA.

One particular incident comes to mind.
    "1500~ Miles off the coast of Manila, the US Coast Guard seized some tonnage of Cannabis bound for the US"

Two things really bother me with our actions in this case.
    1 - The US' territorial waters do not extend quite that far
    2 - Why is the "US Coast Guard" involved with drug interdiction half way around the world ?

All of this is waaaaay OT, sorry for the rant,
    I'll get off my soap box now :shades:

Kudo's for calling me out on this or any subject BTW

Rusty Wrench
    aka
    DrVette
    Call me weird, but in forums like this dedicated to talking about cars, I like to talk about... CARS. If I want to discuss inhumane treatment of animals or action on the high seas, I know there's likely multiple forums that cover those subjects.

For example, I could say the Cruze is CRAP because everyone at GM is a lying, coniving thief who stole billions from US taxpayers. Now, that statement has NOTHING to do with the Cruze itself, and I don't actually think that way about GM and its loan from the Feds. But it's an example of how discussions like this could dive off into the deep end with irrelevancy.

So, let's talk about cars, shall we? I've noticed you have lots to say on that subject.
  • You have your opinions, and I have mine. I think the US will be found to be a terrible bully in the future history books, but that as you say is neither here nor there.

The vehicle choice discussion reminds me of an old saying;

"That's why God gave man a choice, Ford or Chevrolet"

Happy Holidays

Rusty Wrench
    aka DrVette
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,897
    You have your opinions, and I have mine

Yes, and all opinions about the topic are welcome. But not the other political and morality crap.
    Anyone know if and when the Cruze hatch will be available in the USA? I know it's available in other countries and it looks pretty slick. I prefer a hatch for my next car, so unless the Cruze is available in hatch form no later than mid-2013, it will be far down my list compared to other high-FE compacts that offer a hatchback/wagon.