Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    Chevy hasnt released ordering details for the ECO model yet.
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I was hoping that the LT would have higher than 45% North American parts content, like the LS I saw a week ago had, but I'm afraid it doesn't. I'm sitting in the waiting room of a Chevy dealer right now and the LT up front also has 45% N.A. content, but instead of its engine being built in Mexico (like the 1.8), the 1.4L Turbo is built in Austria. The trans in the LT is still built in Mexico (like the 1.8). I'm happy it's a Chevy built in OH, but disappointed in the parts content.
  • I understand your point. I look at the Cruze as a domestic since it's a U.S. company building it in the U.S. Most of the profits stay here.

I see Toyota's with 75% "domestic" content but realize most of the profits go back to Japan.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    edited October 2010
    quote uplanderguy-I see you conveniently left out the Pontiac Firebird, and full-size Chevrolet lineup (Impala, Caprice, et al) from '66-70--the standard bearer of full-size cars then, and best-regarded of that era, now--and built at Lordstown.

It's about math, not convenience. 40 years was the frame referenced in my post. Vehicles you mentioned were produced more than 40 years in the past. Also stated "that they ever produced" so best to include the '66 to ''70 products.

To be fair to Lordstown you are correct that Firebird and full size Chevrolets were produced there from 1966 up until 1970. Many of the vehicles that survived from this time period are very well regarded, specifically the Firebird and Impala. American automotive industry was truly world class during the 60's.

With the changes made to GM it's hopeful they will regain the status they earned earlier in their history compared to the reputation they earned in the late 70's, 80's and 90's.

Only time will tell, one observation I have is that the Cobalt/G5 had the worst fit and finish of any GM vehicle I've had the opportunity to experience during the past 5 years. Colorado/Canyon was also very poor early in it's introduction though it has improved in recent years.
    It's difficult to change an established culture.
    GM issues a press release a while ago announcing that 1.4L engines for Volt and Cruze would be built in Michigan. I'm not sure why the 1.4L in the Cruze you saw would be from Austria. Maybe that will change once Volt production starts but at some point you should see 1.4L turbos from the US.
    I am wondering what your specific experience with the Cobalt is, other than the typical "if it's a GM small car, it must be sh*tty" without ever truly experiencing one.

I have an '08 XFE sedan, 5-speed, ABS, air, and satellite radio. With my $2K in GM card savings, I paid $9,900 OTD for the car, and no they didn't make money on me in financing or extended warranties. The hard fact is, I ride 300 miles every other week with two coworkers, one of which has an '05 Honda Civic and an '09 Toyota Matrix. Both are significantly noisier on the highway than my Cobalt...and the one coworker is a Ford guy who wouldn't give Chevy an inch but brought this up to me without me saying a thing about it...although I agree totally. Also, the Matrix, even as a 'hatchback', doesn't have as much carrying space as my Cobalt's trunk..our stuff would fall up and out of it. The Cobalt has 'shock absorbers' on the trunk lid too, instead of the huge gooseneck hinges of the Civic. I know that perceptions are hard to change, however.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,689
    Had signed up online to get a Cruze brochure, instead got a "trailer" with another offer for a brochure. Confused here...I already asked for one...now I have to ask for another...what gives? This time, will I get the "real" brochure, or will it be another "trailer" with another app? Never happened before...is this something new from Chevy? Really want a brochure!!!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

edited October 2010
    I asked for a brochure at the dealership today and was told they had not gotten any in yet. And they've had three actual Cruzes in (first was LS, which was sold apparently, and now a 1LT and a 2LT).
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,689
    What do these include? Like a 2.0 engine with a moderate of extra's & an auto box. Nothing crazy. But suppose the brochure will have all the info I'm looking for.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• m6userm6user Posts: 3,016
    The profits that the 75% domestic companies make from parts stays in the US. Toyota makes money off the finished automobile.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,929
    I believe that these both get you the 1.4l turbo engine, and the AT, standard. the rest of the differences seem to fall into the "goodies" catagory, not mechanical.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (mine)

• I'm still waiting for my brochure as well. You can get most of the info on Chevy's website though:

Chevy Cruze Website

Go to features and specs and you'll see the various trim levels. My summary: 1LT includes everything I need except cruise control which comes in an option package that's about $500. 2LT is loaded with everything except Nav standard.
  • Yes, I agree completely. The minimal profit that suppliers make goes where ever they're located. The vehicle profit, which is significant and often more than what all the suppliers combined will make, goes to the parent company.

Even if the Cruze only has 50% domestic content, being built in Ohio by General Motors makes it a safe bet that 75% of the money stays in the U.S.

A 75% "domestic" Toyota on the other hand? More than half that money ends up back in Japan.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Here is Edmunds take on the Cobalt XFE -
    As far as fit and finish goes, the Cobalt has none of it. We're sorry to say that from the first day we had the car, its hubcaps buzzed and rattled with every road reflector and driveway entrance. Body panel gaps are large enough to actually see the scissor hinges when the trunk is closed. The metallic paint showed several spots of orange peel plus uneven application. And there's that wrinkly pinch weld running the length of both running boards that we haven't seen since, well, window cranks went away.

This car really is a throwback to a bygone era. How did we ever survive the 1970s? We must've had so much more time and patience.
    -end 2009 Cobalt XFE

Uneven panel fit and gaps on the body, uneven fit in the interior, and even the GM badges on the fender at two different heights are some of the items I have experience with.

Standard with the car. I must of looked at 40 before purchasing the one in my driveway and they all had fit and finish problems.

Inexpensive, a good value and so far no major problems to complain about. Fender had to be realigned when it was new, a recall was performed on the transmission and front rotors had to be resurfaced right after it was purchased. Rotors were likely due to car sitting so long before purchase, I don't blame GM for that.
    Recall was minor and performed during oil change.
    I don't drive this car daily though I have experience driving it. It is reliable but it is crude in some ways. Favorite feature is the Pioneer stereo.

I have plenty of experience with GM products. Have disassembled and built a couple of vehicles built at Lordstown. 350 with solid lifter cam and M21 tranny installed in an orange '74 Vega Wagon got me into way too much trouble when I was younger.

Would I buy a Cruze? No. I'm waiting for the 4.5L Duramax to show up in a 1/2 ton.
    Do I think that GM has impressively improved the Cruze compared to Cobalt, yes.
    Cruze needs time to prove itself one way or another in the marketplace.

GM earned it's small car reputation, Cruze is GM's opportunity to change perceptions.

You may think I'm talking out of turn, I think you have a chip on your shoulder.
    Wow, I'm going to turn 40K on my XFE any day without having the rotors turned. But then I bought my car when it was only in dealer inventory eight days.

What trans recall? I do think mine is stiff to go into first at times.

But I stand by my statements about road noise compared to Japanese competition. I think most people would find that hard to believe...unless they experienced it themselves.
    I think you have a chip on your shoulder.

You say that every single car built at Lordstown since 1971 is a P.O.S., and I have a chip on my shoulder? :)

I think there's a lot of people who have bought more than one new Lordstown-built vehicle and not been maimed or driven insane by doing so!

I've had three myself. (I'm waiting for the retorts now!)
    I guess another point I had is, anybody can complain (I do more than my fair share of it myself), but after owning one, do you think you could have done better with another car, at that price? And especially for me, anyway...one that was assembled in the U.S.?
    they dont mail out full brochures anymore. You can typically download them online though.
    First of all the Cobalt was rated average by CR in reliability and I've never heard anything about major reliability issues with the car.

Secondly, I can call BS on many of your claims since I've actually driven the car. The interior had tons of hard plastics and there were some areas where the panels had less than ideal fits. The build quality wasn't poor, but the design of some of the components left certain areas with a subpar finished product. Exterior fit and finish has been fine on the car I drove and others I've seen. GM hasnt really had exterior panel fit issues in many years. The Cobalt is quiet, powerful and has a compliant ride. As someone noted it has struts for the decklid which is uncommon in this class. It also has a hood strut which many pricier Fords dont even have. The Cobalt also had stuff like a TPS, trip computer, remote start, Onstar, oil life monitor, etc. which are all but unheard of in the competition. Edmunds is known to be pro import and I would take their cobalt bashing with a grain of salt. My only real complaints about the Cobalt (aside from dull styling) related to the uncomfortable backseat and some of the hard interior plastics. The car drove just fine and was very refined.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,370
    edited October 2010
    > Cobalt (aside from dull styling) related to the uncomfortable backseat and some of the hard interior plastics.

Actually the plastics are durable and will survive, unlike some other small cars I observe parking next to them with cracking interior plastics deteriorated from the sun's effect.

The drive is very comfortable; it's like a much heavier car most of the time. But it follows the road as soon a it starts to get wavy.

The cost for maintenance is great because I can actually do the oil and filter changes myself.

The economy is more than adequate since it's an automatic transmission.

Visibility from the driver position for parking is superb.

######

As for the people spending their time trying to criticize the new Cruze based on their dislike of some mythical GM scheme to defraud them with a poor product in the past, go get a life and take off those tinfoil hats. Art Bell's show is on nightly to get your fix of the past paranoia.

I've seen two, a midline and a topline model at the local dealer.

I suggest ignoring the off topic distractions and keep the topic on the new Cruze which looks great.
    From everything I've been reading on here the last couple of days I think I'll look for a used Cobalt. How could the Cruze possibly improve on that?
    I wouldn't think twice at all about buying another new Cobalt if I was looking for an econo car now. You might be surprised.

Saying that the Cruze "replaces" the Cobalt isn't entirely accurate. The Cruze is built at the same place, hence the Cobalt goes away, but if you look at a Cruze you'll see it's larger, more plush, and more expensive. When GM starts building the new Aveo or whatever it ends up being called, in Michigan, I think that will fall more in place in the lineup with where the Cobalt used to be.
    I wouldn't think twice at all about buying another new Cobalt

That's very obvious.

The Cruze does replace the Cobalt. Most compact cars are getting larger, more plush and more expensive. I'm pretty sure the industry and customers will cross shop the other compacts against the Cruze. The Aveo will compete against other subcompacts. You can't create a new category just by adding a couple of inches.

I'm interested in the Cruze but to say that the Cobalt was/is a great car is just not facing reality. Basing statements on "personal experience" is a statistical 0. I've rented Cobalts a couple of times on business and wasn't impressed but they were OK but I really didn't care for the interiors much. Average reliablity by CR is decent but doesn't make it a great car. Was it ever actually recommended by CR or a "best buy" or anything like that? Just about every auto mag panned the Cobalt(except the SS) over the years, not just Edmunds.

I've owned many, many GM cars over the years. My first was a 1960 Biscayne and my last was a 1993 LeSabre Limited. Had great luck with some and terrible experiences with a couple but probably average overall when compared to the rest of the industry. I absolutely loved the LeSabre and kept it for 13 years before giving it to Kars for Kids. But when I looked at my folder of repair bills I was amazed at how many times I was in for recalls, warranty work and fairly major repairs over the years. Literally, several thousand dollars. Just goes to show you how you can overlook those things if you really like the vehicle.

What I think the Cruze has going for it is decent economy, decent room and upscale textures/features rolled into one package. If the quality is there it could be a very nice compact car with room for adults. I just wish they would offer Homelink as I can't stand having garage door openers hanging from my visor.
    edited October 2010
    I don't believe I ever said the Cobalt was a 'great car', but I would call it a 'great value' and as a guy looking at college for two girls in the next couple years, that matters to me. I also like buying American and the Cobalt was built in my area. I stand by the statements about it being quiet on the highway compared to other, more revered small cars (although getting folks to believe this is probably nigh impossible). I do like the surprising small touches, even in an XFE. I saw on one Edmunds forum not all that long ago, a Benz owner talking up his outside temperature reading in the car and MPG calculator. Hell, even my Cobalt has those standard. Like someone else posted, having a hood that holds itself up without a prop, and a trunk lid without those stupid gooseneck hinges, is a show of some quality but is lost on most people.
    >Basing statements on "personal experience" is a statistical 0

That would include people's experience renting the base models, wouldn't it?

So, how does the Cruze look?
    I wasn't making a statement of fact....just a personal opinion.
    "I'm interested in the Cruze but to say that the Cobalt was/is a great car is just not facing reality. Basing statements on "personal experience" is a statistical 0."
  • scottlscottl Posts: 109
    I just priced a Cruze on Chevy's website, and comparably equipped, the Sonata is less than $1000 more than a Cruze.

Chevy is going to get killed on this car. The Sonata is twice as big, gets 35mpg and has a much better warranty.
    Ok, I should have cited the majority of professional auto reviewers, CR, JD Powers, etc. in mentioning that it wasn't a great car but I just wasn't trying to get that anal. If you insist we go there it would get boring and not pertinent to this discussion.

He was specifically refering to his personal experience with a car in supporting an argument....not just relating an experience. Besides he corrected me in that he said it was a great value(at the right price off MSRP) rather than a great car. With that I would tend to agree with him.