Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Cruze

Comments

• igozoomzoomigozoomzoom Waleska, GeorgiaPosts: 790
    I've had my '06 Mazda3 s 5-door five years next month, which is two years longer than I've ever kept a car in 20 years of driving. I love it and have every intention of driving it several more years....BUT the upcoming Ford Focus looks SMOKIN' HOT!!! I knew that I'd love the 5-door from early prototype photos and I gravitate toward sport hatches also! But the 4-door Sedan is just as sharp...dare I say, it's almost SEXY!

The Focus 4-door would totally dominate in this class next year if the 2012 Elantra wasn't so damn good looking, too! Once these models are on the market, I can't fathom Toyota selling any Corollas to retail customers....maybe they should make them a fleet-only model like the Malibu Classic was for a few years? =) God only knows what the Civic will end up looking like??? What if it shows up looking like a mini Acura-TL....that would be hilarious!

None of these cars are serious enough driver's cars to hurt Mazda3 sales too much. Although the 3 i (entry, 2.0L models) may lose some sales to Focus and Elantra especially. Maybe Mazda will touch up the MZ3 to keep it fresh against these newcomers...and by touch up, I mean get rid of that stupid grin on the front!!!
  • uplanderguyuplanderguy Kent, OHPosts: 7,494
    I know where the Cruze is assembled, and know its NA parts content. I know where the Sonata is assembled, but I've never seen anyone post its NA content as per the window sticker. Does anybody really know what it is?
    I looked online, and the 2011 Sonata has 41% NA parts content...even less than current Cruzes.
  • I looked online, and the 2011 Sonata has 41% NA parts content...even less than current Cruzes.

Yes and 100% of the vehicle profit goes back to Asia. Hyundai/Kia have made great strides but unless you get a Genisis or Equus, they drive like tin cans on wheels.

Chevrolet built the Cruze to be a smooth and quiet "premium" small car and succeeded. The Sonota and Elantra are still too rough in NVH for me.
  • overbrookoverbrook Posts: 275
    I'd venture to guess other Hyundais have FAR less domestic content than the Sonata. CAmry and Accord are the domestically produced imports that have very high content. The majority of the models built here by foreign automakers have very low domestic content- they simply do final assembly here with lots of imported parts.
  • I thought this was a Cruze forum. Your post mentions almost every other compact other than the Cruze. Is it better suited for another forum??? Just curious.
  • Read the Ward's Auto Review at the link. "The Cruze is the most appealing car in it's class."

Ward's Auto World review
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    does anybody really know what time it is??does anyone even care about time??
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,154
    has anyone actually done any serious driving to a car with the 1.4l engine? I only recall 1 test drive report, that that was on an LS.

Should ahve taken the test drive yesterday when I was test sitting, but I know that I am not in th emarket anytime soon, so I didn't want to waste the guys time (plus have to give my personal info!). I happeneded to be the only customer in the store I think, and the salesfolks were just standing out front watching the world go by. Never even stepped into the store until the salesguy went to get a card and brochure. Never even gave more than my first name. Very low key.

This place also had 2 GS vettes on the showroom floor. All black coupe, and yellow convertible. Both manuals, bless their hearts.

and at least 15-20 Camaros all lined up out front.

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

Very funny! Thanks for the moment of irreverence!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,822
    And that was one of the MOST on-topic posts in this thread over the past 24 hours.... Sheesh. I took most of yesterday off for a visit from my 7-yr-old nephew (last seen in 2007!) and only hit the hot spots here... who would've thought that a discussion about a sedan, which few members have actually seen in person, much less driven, would be a problem? The answer is: not me.

Let's stick to talking about the Chevy Cruze, please. Most of you know where to find other discussions relevant to the off-topic conversation that's been occurring here, so please head that way if you wish to continue.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

A reporter is interested in talking with owners of the Chevy Cruze who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than Saturday, November 20, 2010 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Thanks for your consideration,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds Inc.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• scottlscottl Posts: 109
    Once the Sonata transmission line is up in Alabama, the NA content will be over 50%.

The Sonata was designed in California.

The people dissing the 2011 as tinny have obviously never driven one. The 2011 is new from the ground up, and solid as a rock, as every single review has noted. If GM enthusiasts want a scare, go test drive one. The Malibu just got a beat down, and the Cruze, being nearly as expensive as the Sonata, is doomed to sub-par sales.

Cruze away. GM is still one step behind the competition in almost every market segment, but that is an improvement over the five steps behind they were a few years ago.

From elsewhere on Edmunds:

Hyundai Sonata Speeds to Top of Sales Charts; Nudges Honda Accord Among Midsizers
    September 07, 2010

By Michelle Krebs

Hyundai Sonata 2011.jpg The Hyundai Sonata is racing to the top of U.S. sales charts.

In August, Sonata grabbed third place among midsize cars for the third time since it was vastly redesigned earlier this year as a 2011 model; it is nudging the rear bumper of the Honda Accord.

The Toyota Camry remained in first place in sales among midsize sedans, but the Sonata easily overtook Nissan Altima in August; it already had passed by the Chevrolet Malibu and Ford Fusion.

Overall, the Sonata has soared to sixth place among all vehicles sold in the United States -- it's highest ranking ever. It has been No. 1 for 22 of the past 24 weeks for shopping consideration among consumers visiting Edmunds.com.

And Hyundai has been selling only one version of the Sonata; hybrid and turbo models are upcoming.

August's Third Among Midsizers

In August, Hyundai sold 21,399 Sonatas, which allowed it to roar past the Nissan Altima to take third place among midsize sedans and close in on the Honda Accord, which was second behind the Toyota Camry. In August, Hyundai sold only 3,749 Sonatas fewer than Honda did the Accord.
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,154
    The Cruze is only marginally competing with the Sonata. Compact sedans and mid sizers might look the 'same" on paper, but they really don't compete that much. Most people want one or the other for size/functionality reasons.

I have a 2005 Accord, which I consider plenty big if not bigger than needed. The 2010 is way to large for my tastes, and the Cruze is pretty much just right. Heck, it is only about 8" shorter than my Accord, and probably as big as the one from a couple generations ago.

You are correct that prices could overlap, and some people may move up market for that reason (bigger size/same $). But normally, you get a choice of loaded small vs. stripper big.

Maybe the Sonata price point skews that, but again, many people don't want to supersize even if it doesn't cost much.

At least within a "family", you can compare easily. Honda, a great example. You could get a base Accord (DX) for the same price as a Civic EX (or about that). But, you give up the alloys, moonroof, etc. And many people want all the toys.

So, a 22.8K cruze has at least a moonroof that a Sonata GLS does not have. And the trunk is just about as big.

Now, when the Elantra shows up in a couple months, that will be a true knife fight!

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• You may be right about 2011 Sonata. The last one I drove was a 2009 and while it was okay, the NVH was like an Excel.

I agree few people will cross shop a big car like the Sonata (EPA Large Car) with a Cruze. The Elantra is the Cruze's competition. Hyundai's dealer network bothers me too. I'm 35 miles from a Hyundai/Kia dealer and 2 miles from a Chevy dealer and while styling is subjective, I appreciate the Cruze's understated elegance. The Hyundai Sonata (and upcoming Elantra) look like somebody melted the grille.
  • Chevrolet announced today that a manual transmission will be made available on all Cruze models with the 1.4T engine. This includes the LT and LTZ models.

Stir your own lovers rejoice!

GM Inside News
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,950
    I"m confused. Why are you posting on the Cruze thread? All you do is tell everybody what a fantastic car you think the Sonata is and dis GM. I know you are looking to buy a Sonata but are you going to all the GM car threads and doing the same thing? Just curious because it makes no sense at all.

I know a lot of people that buy Hyundais exhibit a slight inferiority complex and have to constantly bombard everyone with how great Hyundais are. I hope you're not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I think the Sonata is a fine car but why blow your horn on this thread so much. Do you consider yourself some sort of mesiah and feel you have to convert the masses to Hyundai and away from GM?
    The Sonata was sold in Korea before the US so I doubt it was designed in California- I have never heard that before.

I am well versed in the success of the Sonata and its a nice car but the idea that its head and shoulders above the Cruze is nonsense. If anything it sounds like the Cruze is actually as refined, if not more refined. I've been in both cars and the Cruze LTZs interior is actually nicer than the Sonata's interior. The Sonata's interior LOOKS nice, but in person its about on par with the Camry. The design details and the feel of the switchgear are not premium at all. It's perfectly suitable for the class however.

Your statements about GM's vehicles are out of line with reality and its apparent you wouldnt ever consider the Cruze so I don't understand why you are commenting here. The Cruze is the latest in a long list of very competitive vehicles from GM. You consider the Enclave, Malibu, CTS, Camaro, Equinox, etc. several steps behind the competition?
    I've noticed that people who like the Sonata want EVERYONE to declare it the best in class. It's like they can't accept that there are numerous compelling choices in this price class. THe fact that the Sonata is a nice car for the money doesn't diminish the Cruze in any way. I for one, am not a huge fan of the Sonata's styling. Its more interesting than Camry and Accord for sure but its not really my cup of tea. When I sat in the car I found rear seat room (leg and head) to be merely adequate even though its supposedly an EPA large car.
    Anyone who wishes to continue comparing the Sonata with the Cruze may do so by starting a new discussion on that topic. It's really not helpful here, and it clutters up this discussion for members seeking information on the Cruze only.