Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1996 pontiac bonneville duct foor

santonio03santonio03 Member Posts: 7
edited July 2014 in Pontiac
Last night when i removed my motor blower i seen a door like flap thing right in front of the blower.... is that the duct door?

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    There are several doors...

That most likely was a recirculate/fresh air door.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• santonio03santonio03 Member Posts: 7
    What color is the vacuum tube that opens the duct door on pontiac bonneville 1996
    There are 4 of them...

ORN orange is recirculate door
    WHT white is the bilevel valve for AC and floor. White vacuum only gives floor I believe.
    GRN is the other end of the bilevel and when it's on with the white the valve is held midway and the air goes to AC/defrost direction AND to the floor for bilevel.
    BLU blue is the valve for defrost that closes to force air out dash ducts.

meaning the orange tube is for the vents?
    edited June 2010
    Nope.

The orange goes to the recirculation vacuum motor over above the driver's pedals. It lets the air from inside the car be mixed with some outside air and blown back through the system. I think that is probably the door you could see with the blower motor removed on the firewall.

The dash vents are the defrost door. It closes the duct going on up to the defrosters and makes the air come out the dash vents instead. At the same time the bilevel vacuum diaphragm is closed so no air goes out the floor vents; that means the air is all forced to go up toward the defrosters.

Do you have a problem? Is there a specific question or purpose you have? If I know your point, I may be able to help give you answers better.

Thanks for you help.. i have low air flowing through my vents.. when switch to floor or defrost i gets more air. i already clean my evap core. i think my door is not opening all the way.. are the doors control by accutators or vacuums? what is the exact color of the tube that control the defrost and vent.. i think i going to check for leaks or even replace the tube
    What kind of AC do you have? The digital readout with numbers for temperature settings? Or the stand type that just has a lever you move to adjust warm to cold?

MANUAL.. ALL MY SETTING WORK.(FROM VENT TO FLOOR TO DEFROST). EVERYONE I KNOW WHO HAS A 92-95 BONNEVILLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM AS WELL
    You have not stated what the problem is.

Saying everyone you know has the problem means nothing to me as to what your problem is.

low air flow from vents
    Thank you.

By "vents" I assume you mean the dash vents typically used for AC.

If flow normal when set to defrost and fan speed on highest?
    Does the air out the "floor" setting give a good volume?
    If so, I'd suspect, when in AC dash mode, some of the air is coming out the defrost along with the dash. 2nd would be that too much comes out the floor during AC because of the vacuum motor there not fully blocking off the flow.

Check the diaphragm with the blue tube going to it. Take off the driver's side hush panel under the dash to see the diaphragm that the blue tube goes to. With the blower motor running and control setting on AC, see if you can reach your finger behind the diaphgram and push the diaphragm toward the back of the can That's the way it should be sucked by the vacuum when "on."

If you can move it further, see if the dash vents are now giving better flow?

You can check to see if you're getting good vacuum to the programmer control box from outside by taking the violet hose off the black hose that comes in through the firewall on the passenger side. Let the running motor suck on your finger tip and see how strong it feels compared to the vacuum getting the blue tube at the diaphragm when the AC is called for.

You can do the bypass with aquarium tubing or 1/8 in internal diameter gasoline hose from auto parts store. Need about 1 - 1.5 inches length for each one.
    http://www.imcool.com/articles/aircondition/fix_vacuum_line.php

Another test I did was take a hose off one of the other motors and apply it to the blue diaphragm and change the AC until it actuated and see if the diaphragm sucks in fully with a different hose. That would tell you your vacuum from the motor is okay and you don't have a rotted hose or cracked reservoir for the vacuum under the front fender.

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.