Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe

I'm really excited about the Pontiac "Vibe" wagon that's being shown at the upcoming auto shows - I'm hoping for a tough AWD Outback- or PT Cruiser-type wagon with more "rugged" styling that Pontiac can deliver. I hope it comes out this year. It's supposed to be "affordable", and the picture on the pontiac website looks pretty good. I'd also be pretty happy with (wishlist):
1. above 22 MPG city
2. big wheels to go with the cool looking wells
3. a drop tailgate/liftgate sorta like the Aztek
4. configurable seating, like a flat-folding passenger seat, etc.
5. 185 HP or any good V6

Here's to hoping! I have a GM rebate, but no AWD wagons to choose from. Please get this right, Pontiac!

Dan

Comments

• dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    I've seen some pretty unbelievable stuff done to rentals. It's sad that people figure they should abuse vehicles because they aren't their own.

As for the Vibe GTs, if they or any other Vibe doesn't sell well, I'm sure you will see some incentives in a month or two. Hold tight, patience is a virtue.
    Looks like the Vibe is out! Check out the LA Autoshow pictures. Looks like a pretty neat little car. Hope they produce it.
  • peterjpeterj Posts: 8
    What a pleasant surprise. I hadn't heard anything about this vehicle until looking at auto show coverage. I'd agree w/ Edmunds assessment that where they missed (badly) with the Aztec, they may have hit the mark with the Vibe. I HATE the name, but other than that, this looks like an excellent, utilitarian but sporty wagon. The styling incorporates just about everything I'd change about the Ford Focus Wagon, while keeping what appears to be a huge interior. Looking at the pics on Edmunds where a couple of people are standing next to it, this car looks like it might be even taller than a Focus. AWD and lots of features too...standard OnStar and I'm sure standard satelite radio too by the time it comes out. I'm very, very interested...the first Pontiac vehicle I've been interested in since, well, ever.
  • The more I look at the Pontiac Vibe, the more I think the vehicle was heavily inspired by the Renault Scenic, a hot seller in Europe thanks to its roomy accommodations for its relatively small size.

Anyone who's seen pictures of the current Renault Scenic will note that the Vibe takes a LOT of the ideas pioneered by the Scenic.

Remember, the Vibe is built off a modified Toyota platform (in fact, it will be built at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA not far from where I live), so the car should be pretty reliable and frugal on gas.
  • I really like the looks. I was hoping for at least a liftglass so I could stick surfboards in, and the forward-folding passenger seat is perfect! So far, I'm pumped about the design. Now I hope I can get the 180HP engine with an automatic and AWD...
    I thoght it was built on a Subaru platform? Perhaps I'm thinking of another new GM car/truck?
  • To hell with the automatic! It's about time GM installed a 6 speed manual in one of their lower end cars.

DVD navigation, AWD, - it looks like a good design for a change!!
    No giant ribs! And < 20k!!!!
    I read an article recently and the plastic"ribs" will be phased out of all Pontiacs over the next few years. The Grand Prix is really the only Pontiac free of these right now. Judging by the Vibe and the new Pontiac/Opel Speedster coming out, things are definitely looking up!
  • Wow!! What a beautiful car/wagon!! Hopefully, the Vibe will be on sale by the time the lease runs out on my rattlebag gocart(aka sunfire)!! This car is going to sell like hotcakes if the price is competitive enough!! Way to go gm!!
    I'm geeked about the six speed manual too! After I posted here yesterday I stopped by the Pontiac site and read that they're going to pair the manual tranny w/ a 180 hp v6. Given the size of the car (power ratio) and the sixth cruising gear, you'd think it ought to be pretty easy on the gas and a blast to drive. Haven't seen what the curb wt. is.

These are great times if you're a fan of compact cars isn't it? PT Cruiser, Jetta Wagon, Mazda Protege Sport Wagon and MP3, new Impreza WRX, upcoming Focus sport variants...seems the list goes on and on. Like 'em or hate 'em, I really appreciate the styling and utility innovations that are being made in this segment and the choices in equipment we're getting.
  • Luckily my future wife is also a manual shift enthusiast. We will be in the market for a smallish utliity car in a few years to suppliment my Grand Prix GTP.

I am glad GM is making some sense for a change and coming out with some truly competitive small cars. Anything is better than Sunfire/Cavalier - but this at least is aiming for the the top.

The small car market is exploding again because some people are coming to their senses - you don't need a huge truck to get groceries.
    Couldn't agree with you more greywolf...this vehicle looks like a winner and I'm sure the Toyota variant will as well.

Fortunately my wife is also insists on rowing her own gears. Unfortunately, she's so anti-Pontiac that I probably wouldn't get a crack at this car until two or three years from now when it's time to replace my ride. We'll probably be looking at Passat wagons this summer, which isn't necessarily a bad thing...I just think this Vibe is likely to have a ton of capability at a lesser price, though I haven't seen anything about MSRP.

At any rate, you gotta love a woman who loves the stick, no? :)
  • Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix?

Ill take the Matrix thank you very much :)

P.S. They are the same platform, with the same engines... 130hp from the Corolla, and the 180hp v4 from the Celica GT-S
    Strange that the Pontiac Vibe will be made in California and the Matrix will be made in Cambrige Ontario. I figured they would be made side by side??

Matrix looks a bit too over styled. Perhaps the one at the show was top end model, but the Vibe looks better.
    I never thought I'd be writing this but I also agree that the Matrix (a Toyota!) is overstyled in comparison to the Vibe (a Pontiac!). My biggest problem w/ the Matrix, at least the top end model, is the gap in the lower, front facia which looks odd to me. It seems from a styling standpoint that Pontiac finally found a design where the back 3/4 of the vehicle blends with typical baudacious Pontiac front end.

As far as quasi-futuristic names go, I'll take "Matrix" over "Vibe" anytime. If I ever own this car, I'll probably be about 36 years old by the time I purchase it...I can just imagine at that age saying "yeah...I bought a Vibe, man..." People will think I'm going through mid-life crisis about 10 years too early.
  • I can't help but notice how much the vibe's front end looks like the sunfire. The grill, headlights and and the nose of it are all Sunfire. The engine looks like the evolution of the sunfire GT's 150 hp engine, and the target market of the vibe is the same as the sunfire's. Coupled with the rumor I heard that sunfire is going away (probably true, given how ugly the current versions are..i own a much better looking 98 GT) I would have to say this makes a nice replacement, if not a bold one since it's a hatchback which still isnt quite the norm for america yet. Good luck with it pontiac, maybe i'll replace my sunfire with it when it comes out ;)
  • The Vibe's engine has nothing to do with the Sunfire... Go read the reviews some more and see for yourself.

I think the Pontiac is too much like an Aztek, while the Matrix looks like a small M-Class (Thats a really good thing!) with some sports compact styling thrown in... Dont forget guys, these are not the Final versions either.
    rebelcool : I agree, the 2000 Sunfire makeover ruined a nice looking car. 99 or older models are very cool.

kostamojen: Nothing about Matrix (or Vibe) says M-class to me.

peterj : Hopefully all Matrix models don't look like to show model. I agree though, I probably won't buy one because at 32, I will look like I am trying to be 22.
  • Does anyone know when the Vibe goes on sale? Is it this spring or next?