Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Understand your reasoning. The Subey dealer here is offering leftover 04 Forester X automatics for $16,900 and wants close to $20k for an 05. Also offered me a nothing down, $249 a month plus tax lease on an 05 X automatic listing at $22,700 for four years and 48,000 miles with $470 down. The residual is 48%. Good deal?
  • You have to start the car with the parking brake already up for the lights to stay off.

Once the car is running pulling up the parking brake will have no effect on the headlights. At least this is my observation with my 2003.
  • steine13steine13 Posts: 2,428
    On my '99 Prizm, I can keep the headlights (including DRL) off if I have the handbrake up a notch when I start the car.

But on the 04 Vibe, NOTHING will keep them off. Thanks A LOT for ruining my night vision as I back out of my driveway. I really really really hate not being able to switch off the DRL's for short periods of time.

-Mathias
  • Montanafan, you are correct sir! I tried the flashlight idea and it worked perfectly. I going to see if I can construct a small covering that I can shine the flashlight into so that it won't be too much of a distraction (especially at the drive-in).

My Vibe is a 2004 base model, which was equipped with the Moon and Tunes and Power packages, automatic, and the same color body cladding. It listed at 19,000+ and I was able to get it around 16,000+. The driving position takes a bit of getting used to, but I really like the car. I also puchased a mat for the storage area and it does a good job of keeping things from sliding around.

What do any of you think about the floor mat quality?
  • mpgmanmpgman Posts: 723
    Focus offers a traction control option with certain prerequisites but not stability control. Ford discontinued what many regarded as a superb vehicle stability control system in 03, I believe.
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,548
    When I bought Vibe, because of minor "faux pax" in getting my paperwork right (wrong vin#...which caused me grief while transfering my tags) and the detail shop taking 3 hours to get the car ready, my dealer gave me a set of the rubberized ones made for my vehicle from Pontiac for my troubles. Very nice, very heavy. I think I'll like them even better when winter weather hits.

The standard floor mats are....well....pretty standard. They are no better nor worse than those you'd find in any Pontiac or Toyota.
  • That's nice of them. I've had mine a month and I seem to be wearing a "hole" where my right ankle rests when it's on the accelerator. I wish it had extra padding there so that it wouldn't wear so fast. Any ideas on keeping the floormats looking good for a s long as possible?
  • Is the GM Conquest still available for the Vibe?
    If so, how much is it now?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 7,548
    IF you have any sort of rainy/snowy weather where you are, I highly recommend the rubberized mats from Pontiac.
  • Yes it is. I bought a 2005 Base Vibe (5 Speed)this past Thursday in Wisconsin and got the $1000 conquest rebate on top of the $1500 rebate. To top it off I have $2800 on my GM Card Earnings and they have a $500 earnings bonus now if you redeem before end of Sept. I also had the GM Supplier Discount but was unable to use this with my GM Card Earnings. All in all I paid $12,900 (including tax) for the vibe. The only options I added were the Power Package Deal (Windows, Locks, Keyless Entry, Cruise). The price the dealer gave me prior to the discounts was $17,850.

So far after a few days I really like the car. I test drove the Corolla and Civic and being 6' 2" they were not big enough for me. I have so much head room and decent leg room with the vibe. The driver seat could have more (longer) support for the thighs, but after the first day I got used to it.

At this point I highly recommend the Vibe. It was a great deal for me and the 5 speed has decent acceleration.
  • - Sounds like you got a great deal on a great car! Congratulations, and keep us informed as to how things are going!
  • I just bought a 2005 vibe. Are there any good web sites to get accessories either through GM or through 3rd parties? Things i would be interested in are:

1. Bike Rack for roof
    2. Cargo Net (is it worth it? does it work?)
    3. Carpet for back area to stop items from swaying around (does it work?)
    4. Rubber/all weather mats for the upcoming wisconsin winter
    5. Seat cover for rear seat (my 7 year old is pretty messy :-)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
  • thelthel Posts: 767
    I use mine more than I thought I would. It works quite well at keeping stuff from sliding all over the place back there.
  • Be careful if you are going for the rear carpet mat. The 2005 Vibes with the Moon&Tunes package feature a subwoofer in the back which changes the shape of the floor. The current mats fits all the 2003s & 2004s and 2005s without the subwoofer. A new mat should be available this fall.

The rubber mats are great, fit right, look good.

Another thing to be careful of, is the factory mudflaps. From what I have read the parts books are confusing on the proper flaps. The 2004 Gray lower use a different flap the Monontones, such as you 2005. The 2003 flaps fit your 2005.
  • What is the Conquest rebates?

Thanks,
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    The Conquest rebate is for current owners/lessees of a non-GM vehicle... the "conquest" being GM has taken you from the manufacturer you might have been otherwise been loyal to.

kcram
    Host
    Smart Shopper and Wagons Message Boards
  • Do you use the cargo net with the carpet or just by itself. I do not have the rear carpet.
    Do you know if the rear carpet covers up teh tie down tracks and make them unusable?

Thanks,
  • I used the Conquest rebate last week to purchase my '05 vibe. All you need is your title for your non GM vehicle. I had a 1992 Ford Taurus. It was a nice deal on top of all the other rebates/discounts.
  • Thel, how much did they charge you for the cargo nets? I bought at cargo mat and the price was different at each dealership I called. The best price I got was $69.00.
  • - Definitely covered under warranty. My 03 Vibe AWD was pulling, and the dealer ended up putting 2 new tires on it. It certainly could be an alignment problem, but it could also be uneven tire pressures or a bad tire, among other things, so take it in and let them figure it out. Let us know what the problem is and what is done about it - good luck!
  • I've had my 2003 Vibe for a little over a year now. It is used mostly for taking my daughter to school (40 mile round trip) every school day; this summer included a 1000 mile trip, and a 300 mile trip. I got this car to do just the things listed above (especially the school round trip). My daughter was involved in the selection of the car; she liked the back seat better than that in the CRV. Getting almost 40 mpg on trips (over mountains). Would like a little more low end power, but really like the car (comfortable, good driving position, holds highway speeds easily) with the exception of the increasingly irritating matter of the dash display. Even with it lighted up, cannot see the gages AT ALL or with great difficulty when the sun is overhead.
  • cmortoncmorton Posts: 15
    What does anyone feel is the best tire pressure for ride quality and performance in a Vibe?
  • ctdetctdet Posts: 8
    I just started hearing a loud rattling in my passenger side window when I go over bumps. I am taking my car into service tomorrow for an alignment issue and will have this looked at. Anyone have any experience with this type of issue before?

How good is Pontiac Service at solving these types of issues. This is my first time dealing with service on a warranty issue (alignment and rattle). Any advice / warnings for me?

Thanks,

Mike
    2005 Salsa 5 Speed
  • I have noticed my front windows, when part way down, really move around a lot in the frame. I have also heard a rattling sound on the drivers side, but it wasn't until your post that I realize it could be from the window. I was going to have the dealer look at the window anyway. How did your service turn out?
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    yeah, the rattle when the windows are partly down has been pretty well documented on other websites. I have not heard of a case with the window in the full up position however.
  • Just wondering if this problem has been resolved. I just purchased a 2003 Vibe 2 weeks ago which is now in the shop for an extremely annoying rattle that is especially loud when I'm in gear and have my foot on the brake (stoplight, etc.). It sounds like it's coming from the rear passenger area, but I've rolled the window up and down with no changes to the rattle sound. The dealer is telling me they aren't hearing much of a rattle and that some rattling is normal. I can live with some noise, but this will drive me insane! Anyway, just wondering if you've been given any answers. Thanks!
  • maxx4memaxx4me Posts: 1,340
    sorry about that grandma. As the CEO of the NUMMI plant stated: "the Vibe is the worst car that has ever been assembled there." As a Corolla fan, I must agree. While my Vibe was one of the first AWDs off the assembly line back in 03, the car has performed well. I feel the interior quality is pathetic and will likely look awful as my 10 years of ownership roll on. I still have hope for all the Denso parts under the hood, and the '98 vintage Corolla engine and tranny are tried and true, so the Vibe should hold up mechanically. Rattles?, yep; I'll bet there will be plenty with the Vibe over time. Oh, and did I mention the worst paint job in the history of auto making???
  • bottgersbottgers Posts: 2,027
    Someone told me today they are. This raises a question. If these vehicles are built on the same assembly line, which build quality standard would they be built to? One would almost think Toyota would almost have to lower the standard of the Matrix because Pontiac isn't able (or willing) to build up to Toyota's standard.
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    JD Powers rated the NUMMI plant (the one they're built at, in Fremont CA where I live) pretty high. I wouldn't worry about either vehicle's quality.