Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2002 - 2.0L 4cyl 5M or 2.0L 4cyl 4A - Difference?

diana_elainediana_elaine Member Posts: 26
edited July 2014 in Hyundai
Hiya,

Wanted to ask: how can you tell the difference between a 5M and a 4A on the Hyundai Elantra?

I'm reading reports and the 5M seems much better than the 4A. Lots of problems reported with the 4A.

I have deposit on one now ... a 2002 .. but really want to know how to tell if it's the 5M or 4A. Anybody know?

Very important, picking car up today. .. unless I find out it's a 4A, then may change my mind.

Thanks
Diana

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Please ask in the 2002-2006 Elantra discussion here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9e737/5523

However, why not just call and ask the seller? Or, use Edmunds.com used car section, and look at the 2002 Elantra models? Without looking it up, it seems that "5M" stands for 5-speed manual shift, and "4A" stands for 4-speed automatic, in which case you should easily be able to tell the difference between an automatic or manual transmission.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    Please ask in the 2002-2006 Elantra discussion here:
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ee9e737/5523

However, why not just call and ask the seller? Or, use Edmunds.com used car section, and look at the 2002 Elantra models? Without looking it up, it seems that "5M" stands for 5-speed manual shift, and "4A" stands for 4-speed automatic, in which case you should easily be able to tell the difference between an automatic or manual transmission. The manual will have a clutch.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• diana_elainediana_elaine Member Posts: 26
    Thank you Kirstie: you were right, the 5M is manual transmission and the 4A is automatic.

I've backed out of the deal for now ... need more time to consider and look around.

Thanks for your help,
    Diana
This discussion has been closed.