Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Miles & Very Few Problems

2006 Cobalt LT manual...175,000 miles on it and never been stranded by car. Here are the maintenance items I have completed:

-driver side front wheel brg. @ approx. 135,000 miles
-pass side front wheel brg. @ approx. 165,000 miles
-New battery @ approx. 150,000 miles
-Installed new struts @ approx. 145,000 miles
-Changed plugs/timing belt @ 170,000 miles
-Have done front pads twice, and rotors one time @ 120,000 miles
-Always change oil at least every 4,000 miles

The car runs perfectly. The only issue I have is the steering column rattles (typical for cobalt) and I have had them since 50,000 miles and have gotten worse but still drivable. Also the control arm bushings need replaced according to mechanic but don't think I will be doing that too soon as it's not as bad as he says.

I am confident this car will get to 200,000 miles easily, and hopeful that it will break 250,000 and potentially 300,000. (I drive approx. 35,000 miles a year)

Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this same good luck with the Cobalt. There is a lot of bad publicity/discussion around the cobalt but I can't complain about a cheap new car lasting this long with barely any problems. Hondas have more things go wrong than this car. Let me know.

Comments

• cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 191
    Have seen a couple that come close to your mileage with few repairs other than maintenance and wear items. Have seen several with over 100K.

Personally my oldest is an 07 with about 78K and no issues.
  • sharkman1sharkman1 Posts: 19
    That's awesome! My '06 LS just turned over 100k & I was starting to thinking about the timing chain, but you have given me new hope
  • cmhj2000cmhj2000 Posts: 191
    Timing chains are one of those things that seldom get looked at. I will admit however, that I do replace chains on hi mileage vehicles. Many times I've seen, depending somewhat on the design that the chain was so stretched it was wearing into the cover.

Chain wear is effected by several issues including maintenance, type of oil and driving style.
  • horsey55horsey55 Posts: 15
    Great to read that your car has held up that well. I put about 8,000 miles on my '08 LS Coupe in 3 months last year, and it seemed like this car was going to get worn out real fast.
    I was lucky and got to work back in town again and am keeping the mileage down.It indeed is a nice commuter car. My struts blew out at about 20,000 miles, replaced under warranty and handled well by my dealer.
    I would like to upgrade to a bit nicer car, but this Cobalt has not let me down. It is a keeper.
  • Suggest you check out rvsmaster.com for a means of reducing wear on ferrometallic surfaces. Also, consider using TufOil (tufoil.com) in your engine and anywhere else appropriate.
    BTW I've got a 2007 Pontiac G5 (a Cobalt with a different badge) 2.2L with automatic transmission and 160,000 miles using these products.
  • We have a 2007 Cobalt LS that we bought in May of 2009. It had 175k highway miles when we bought it. The original owner had some sort of delivery route between Eugene Oregon and Seattle Washington. It is currently at 242k miles and still going strong. We have a rural newspaper route that puts an additional 80 miles a day on it. We have replaced tires, brakes, shocks, struts, instrument cluster, HVAC blower motor, serpentine belt and the alternator. We also picked up some new front seats from a wrecking yard for $150, the old drivers seat was completely worn down. Believe it or not we get 40mpg on the highway in this thing. It burns a little oil between changes and it has a leak in the brake system somewhere. We have to add brake fluid about every two weeks. The suspension has always been noisy as hell but it's pretty darn reliable considering the mileage.
  • ter06ter06 Posts: 1
    I have an 06 SS 2.4, im at about 175k - still runs like a champ. just a few things here and there but never left me stranded.

135k - timing belt replaced ( just looked worn so decided to get it over with. )

A/C died - was fixed but the dealer didn't seat the ground wire so it worked intermittenly for a while.

and the locking mechanism in the driver door stopped working (door wouldn't open) unless you tap 3-4x on the door while hitting unlock and problem solved, got old after the 1st time when i had to exit thru the passenger door.