Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• paopao Posts: 1,867
    I filed the paperwork with the BBB for arbitration....sent same to the dealership owner.....with all my other documentation from the service department...names of the regional rep, my GM customer service rep and case number..and explained my issues to him and what I expected to happen.....giving them one final opportunity to make things right

got a nice response back from him stating he would make things right....and within 72 hours they took the vehicle back and replaced it with another one of the same level, with a few more options on it than the original model, since it was the end of the model year......at no cost to me....

my problem was they couldnt get a check engine light to ever go out and stay off...after 5 attempts.....now this was a brand new vehicle with lest than 200 miles on it.....it took me three months to get to this point....but I drove away satisfied....and still own the vehicle today...5 years later..and 115K on it
  • Winz,

A friend of mine that has been successful in Small Claims Court suggested us to do this:

Have documentation of all of GM service center trips and phone calls to the national customer service line (with their final say that they will not repair the car for you.

Also have a copy of the GM Bulletin Number: 060601025 about the 2007 Malibu shake (available inline).

Then, get several local repair outlets, like AAMCO, Pep Boys, etc. to give you a written evaluation that the car does have a shaking drivetrain defect (it is not a "CHARACTERISTIC") and an estimate (on the high side, like the entire transaxle needs replacing).

File a claim against the local Chevy dealer with the Small Claims Court, GM should be served and they will likely lose.

Sound like a plan?

I'm going to do it.
  • Has anyone else had this problem with a 2005 Malibu?

-The door locks lock and unlock erratically by themselves. After this occurs, a single beep sounds under the dash.

-The power door lock buttons don't work. The keyfob only works to lock the doors occasionally, but never to unlock.

-The alarm sets itself, and goes off unexpectedly when unlocking the doors with the key.

-The trunk unlock button doesn't work.

-The auto start doesn't work.

All of these symptoms started at the same time and have gotten progressively worse over time.

I would appreciate anyone's diagnosis.
  • gonogogonogo Posts: 869
    Some vehicles had trouble with brake lights not working right, turned out to be corroded connectors at the BCM.
  • He are having less serious but similar problems with our '04 Maxx. The alarm can be set off (occassionally) when opening an unlocked door (any door), unless we specifically lock and then unlock it with the remote. We had it in to the dealer yesterday, but the tech said the alarm was working correctly, whatever that means. We had an incident 2 weeks ago when someone in the car locked it from within and then unlocked it as my wife got in. When she tried to start it, the engine immobilizer kicked in because the alarm thought someone was trying to steal the car :mad: . CAA got it working again, but ever since, I think the computer in the alarm system is wonky. Thankfully, the car will lock and unlock when we use our remote.

If your problem isn't the alarm system itself, it may be some other sensor linked to it. Good luck.
  • I have seen others suggest that the BCM may be at the root of the problem. I have also seen others suggest that one of the power door lock buttons may be stuck in the lock position. These suggestions have been made to others with the same problem on this and other forums. I have yet to see anyone who has fixed the problem, come back and say for sure what the solution was.

I suppose I should figure out how to inspect the BCM. I think its located in the dashboard fusebox.

Thanks for the response.
  • I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but if the alarm is armed by the driver locking the door with the key fob or I think with the power doorlock and shuts the door, the alarm is supposed to go off when someone unlocks the car from the inside. I think this is designed to handle the scenario in which a thief breaks the window and unlocks the door to get inside the car. Malibus have no shock or glass breakage sensor for the alarm system.

Thanks
  • have a 2004 malibu classic. If I am valet parking the car and using the valet key, how do I deactivate the trunk release that is in the driver's door, so the valet cannot pop the trunk open? I have looked through the owner's manual, which, unless I overlooked something, merely warns that when valet parking, the valet key should be used.
  • Beyond pulling the fuse for the trunk popping solenoid, I'm not sure there is a way for a Malibu. Although, I'm no expert.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    Hello Javon,
    Does the key fob still work to unlock/lock the vehicle? If it does then it is possible the key fob works fine. I do recommend taking it to a service tech to have them look at the problem. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • sgr5516sgr5516 Posts: 156
    If you can lock/unlock doors with FOB and the lights flash after you hit lock then hit and hold remote start button, then FOB and Receiver are communicating and body control module knows you are requesting a remove start. See message 188 in "Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Electrical/Lighting Problems" for other conditions that disable remote start. I don't know how to create a link to another message.
  • javon7065javon7065 Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for the reply and the reference to the detailed reply. the lights do flash after hitting the remote start button so I will check out the hood wires.
  • I have herd this random lock/unlock is caused by heavy key chain. It seems that heavy key rings applying pressure on the switch may cause it. Lighten up the key chain and see what happens.
  • billymaxxbillymaxx Posts: 12
    My remote start on my 2005 Malibu Maxx went out and the Chevy dealer said it was the hood latch sensor that was the problem. The sensor was malfunctioning and the computer was sensing that the hood was open so the remote start would not work. They wanted $230 to replace the hood latch. Being the cheapskate that I am (and knowing I could replace the hood latch myself) I ordered the part online for $80 and put it in myself. A few bolts and unhooking a wiring harness & hood release cable and the latch was replaced and the problem was fixed. The GM part number for the hood latch assembly is #20763655.
  • tdunlaptdunlap Posts: 1
    Mine (05 Malibu Maxx) is doing weird stuff too.

1. The locks randomly lock and unlock (either while driving, or after parking and locking the door with the key or the fob).

2. The inside door lock button on the passenger side uit working altogether, and the driver's side doesn't work reliably.

3. Remote start doesn't work.

4. When exiting the vehicle and NOT locking the door (running into the store real quick), the alarm goes off when returning and getting in, unless I "unlock" (even if it's already unlocked) the door.

I've had the following problems and shutting the car off and back on has cleared it.

1. The power steering quits once in awhile displaying the warning.

2. The air conditioning sometimes quits cooling (the light won't stay on).

3. The seat warmer on the passenger side got stuck "on" once.

I found a used BCM for $50. Might try it.
  • guswojoguswojo Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Malibu LS. Over time, some bulbs on the dashboard instrument panel need replacing. How do I get at the bulbs to replace them?
  • I have a 2007 Malibu that has the same problem, and it will just keep getting worse, trade the car in!!! Mine currently is in the shop with (54,000)miles, and I have just been told that the motor is bad! A car should definitely last longer than 54,000 miles do some research on these cars and consumer complaints, trade it in for a honda or something in my opinion.
  • Hopefully someone on here will be able to give me some insight as to what is going on with my car. The car runs flawlessly as far as getting me from point A to point B, but does crazy weird things as I am driving. I do not have any remotes for the car, though the car does have a remote start feature. I have two keys for the car, and both of them have plus signs on them, both of them crank the car, and I get the same problems when I use either one of them. Here's what the car is doing..........

1. First off, the alarm does crazy things. If I close a door and then open it up a few second later without locking it and then unlocking it first, the alarm will go off. I also had the alarm go off the other day while the car was RUNNING. It also went off when I removed the gas cap to pump gas.

2. As soon as I crank the car, all of the gauges start going up and down like crazy and do not stop the whole time I am driving. The same thing applies to the electronic lights on the car, such as the airbag light, battery light, oil light, seat belt light, and all of the lights on the radio and console flash on and off too. The whole time this is happening, the security emblem light on the dash stays on, except to flash along with the other lights. Also, the radio will just display three long rows of dashes and says "locked."

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out. If you need anymore information on the situation just let me know. Thanks.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Good Morning:

QUESTION: Is your alarm an "aftermarket unit installed by the selling dealer," or is it part of the vehicle as it came from the factory? ----- If it is an "after market alarm," disconnect the unit, and see if you still have the symptoms. ----- This vehicle needs to visit the dealer! ------- Best Regards. ------ Dwayne :shades: