Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Malibu Maintenance and Repair

124»

Comments

• mtodd2mtodd2 Posts: 1
    I had a 2003 Malibu with the same issue. The signal/wiper switch that goes around the steering wheel needs to be replaced. It's shaped like a horse shoe and slips right over the top. took about ten minutes to put the new one on. So both levers on the steering wheel will be replaced at the same time because it's all one unit. The part cost me $94.00.... go into an auto parts dealer and they can look up the exact part for you
  • Remember the good old days when bumpers (front & Rear) protected your auto body from damage? Today the bumpers are a part of the body. My 2008 Malibu first showed its problem when parking vertically to a curb and as the bumper reached the curb it was so low it dragged over the curb and scratched the bumper. Since then when parking parallel I have come too close to another vehicle, and no old bumper to let me know I was too close, but just the scraping of the bumper paint. Or I backed into the vehicle behind me and guess what--a chip of paint gone from my rear bumper.

Alas!!!!!!!!! Is there another solution? Is there something that lets me know when I'm too close? Remember the wires by the passenger side of the car that would warn you when were too close to the curb--don't want to mark up the white walls!!

Any ideas? I'm spending over $1,000 to have my front bumper/grill repainted. {:--((((

Uncle Dewey
  • I was hoping our moderators, Kristie and Karens, would have some suggestions. Or someone else would say they have the same problems. If you own a later model Malibu, take the time to check the bottom of the bumper/grill, or other parts of the your front/rear bumpers. There must be a solution.

Uncle Dewey
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,824
    edited August 2012
    Moderators can't generally solve your vehicle issues - neither of us has a Malibu. We just moderate all discussions involving sedans and help get you to the discussion best suited for your question.

The solution for the rear would be to purchase an aftermarket backup camera.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kweb1990kweb1990 Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Chevy Malibu, 130,000 miles on it. I have replaced most things, spark plugs, starter, battery, ect. I have kept it maintained regularly. For the past 6 months or so I have had this unfortunate event where ALL of my gauges on my dash board drop to 0 while I am driving, while simultaneously the power steering goes out. So naturally, when this first started happening I would pull over and turn the car off. Problem was the car would not start back up for at least 15 minutes. I've taken it many places to be looked at, spent so much on diagnostic tests to get NO answers as to what is wrong. If I could get an answer I would happily fix it rather than continuing to drive around in it with my child, and even more bothersome now I am expecting. This should be my family car. The problem has steadily gotten worse and more frequent (from once a month, to once a week) and now, the car would not start back up at all, and with no idea what to replace to get it fixed. For a little extra information, the check engine light STAYS on, heres the kicker, no code comes up when the mechanics plug it in to a computer, like its not registering an issue of any kind. PLEASE HELP! I loved my malibu until recently, and if theres something I can replace to get it working SAFELY then I would love to keep it!
  • kweb1990kweb1990 Posts: 3
    This is the only solution I have been told MIGHT be the issue, but when I look this up, the problems don't seem to be the same. I seem to be having a lot of electrical issues (hints all my gauges going out) so I'm not sure if thats it. Its a pricey part to be so unsure about :/
124»