Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Comments

• mariobgoodemariobgoode Posts: 114
    edited July 2010
    My experience with the weather here in the Northeast has been positive. Nothing remarkable, from my experience. Engines in general generate lots of heat when they are running, and I believe diesel engines run hotter, but not too hot to require extensive precautions. I could be wrong.
  • I'll see one on Saturday and post my observations. Just saw an ad for a Honda Civic hybrid with a manual six for 2011. If the new Jetta is not as good as the current one, I might want to test drive that Honda.
  • I am sorry, but I might have posed the question incorrectly. What I was looking for to ask was whether you had experienced the lack of heat in the winter when driving a car with a diesel engine...

Thanks..
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I can see what you mean. However, I think consumers reacted a bit this way before the previous model came out brand new. It definitely looks much older than ever before. I think most of us would agree we would pay more to keep the integrity and quality within the car. It would be a huge disappoint and a bad business decision on their part to compromise this.

One of the reasons our family loves VW is that it is a solid car. Drives great! and it is fun!! If I wanted to buy a look alike Kia, I would go get one.

On that note, I have not tested one, I can only hope they didn't do what some are speculating. Just first reaction reviews.

Who knows, perhaps VW knows what their doing? I am planning to look very closely at the Jetta SEL. But not having the 2.0T is disappointing. Go in with a bang VW!!!
  • I apologize for not being clear. No, I did not experience lack of heat in the winter. The heating system or equipment was adequate, and like I said, unremarkable, or average. In case you did not read my previous post, I do a lot of driving between NYC and the Pocono mountains, so a deficient heating system would have been easily noted. I wonder if other guys in this forum had a different experience.
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    I can understand wanting to sell more cars, after all it is a business, they want to make money. I knew I've this look before (Jetta VI) and sure enough, an older Passat was it (90's?).

While the Golf and Jetta Sportwagen carry on they put the Jetta name on this NCS Jetta VI....I wish they would have called it something else and continued Jetta V production, oh well, I have mine, but if it comes time to replace it, I'll stay away from Jetta VI.
  • As a former owner of new V6 Passats in 2000 and 2002 I decided to test drive the '11 Jetta. The Passats were the best driving cars I've ever had, but their poor reliability drove me to Honda and Toyota. In terms of the '11 Jetta, I found the interior quality has declined some, but still better than the Japanese competition despite all the negative press. Only the loss of the sliding center arm rest put me off and since it's a comfort issue for me, it could be a deal breaker. In terms of driving, despite the "de contented" rear suspension, the ride/handling balance was very good. The steering, while losing some of its former road feel, was precise and tracked in a straight line with few steering corrections needed. For me, the main problem of the de contenting was a lot more wind noise. When I returned to the dealer I walked over to two Jettas on the show floor. One a '10 and one an '11. When I opened the front door of the '10 there were two gaskets around the perimeter of the door and only one on the '11. I presume at least some of the increased wind noise came from this move. In the end, when I first drove a new Passat in 2000 I said WOW, this is better than anything out there. For me, at least, the new Jetta has lost that. If I haven't found something else when the NMS arrives, I'll give it chance, but I'm passing on the Jetta.
    Thank you for you take on the new Jetta. Sounds like it is a decent contender.
    I am still going to test drive it and see what I think as well. I would be willing to get one. Hoping it hasn't grown up so much that VW regrets it, along with myself.

Apparently, my dealer did say they are leasing well, meaning the residuals are pretty good now. Many are doing a $0 down deal with a good lease.
  • ike3ike3 Posts: 81
    edited October 2010
    Had a chance to sit in the U.S. base model (S), 5 speed. Kudos on the standard heatable outside door mirrors. Also kudos on fully adjustable
    front seats with seat height adjustment on both driver and passenger seats.
    However, no optional winter package is being offered on the S model. I
    don't see heated front cloth seats nor heated washer nozzles available.
    The Canadian model of this very same trim level does make it available as
    an extra $275. option. Trendline or Trendline Plus model. This seems to
    apply only to the 2 litre engine only. Higher trim levels I did not check, nor
    would I want...the expense of the vehicle ramps up quickly with the larger
    2.5 litre engine.
    Also..for the S model only...there is no satellite antenna installed. And I
    understand that given the trim level. But why hide it with a black plastic
    cover that looks chintzy?
    Last beef...no armrest available for the S model? Not even as an option?
    I hoping it is not their intention to sell mostly S models. Because, it really is stripped down. I don't think the SE is much more, if you want a bit more features. The S model really doesn't even look like a VW at this point. The SEL is the only model I have my eye on. Plus, I want Red!! Apparently, per the website, it will not be available until later. And, the 2.0T is not until later. But, with all that, the 2.0T would put my into nearly $26,000 for the car! Worth it? I bet. I want to test drive! My dealer has yet to have any.

But, with that said VW is a brand where there is car pretty much for any taste, but wrapped up with VW flavor. I am sure the S still drives quite well, perhaps better than most base model cars.
    Hey bvdj84, yes, the S model is decontented, but compared to a base model
    Civic, this vehicle shines. Yes, it does lack steering wheel controls, bluetooth,
    i-pod input and cruise control (?). But does come standard with vehicle skid control (some call it stability control), ABS, remote keyless entry, fully up and down power windows on all four positions, split folding rear seats and air conditioning. Leaving out an armrest in the center is something that VW has
    done in the past with the Rabbit/Golf 2 door.
    However, I can't justify spending $26,000 for a fully loaded model, with the
    2.0T or TDI version. For that kind of money, I could get into a higher pedigreed car, such as a Volvo C-30 hatchback or Mini.
    I haven't seen any reviews yet for the Jetta S model and the smaller 2 litre,
    8 valve motor. Based on the price-point its a good value. I know I'm giving
    up a number of things. I just wished that a winter package was made available. I live 2 hours from the Canadian border, but I can't legally import one brand new from a dealer there..due to 'franchise agreements' and regulations.
    Well, I really cannot wait until May when the 2.0T comes available! So it is either get the 2.5. Which would be okay. I already have an 08 Jetta SE now. But, its not my car. My car's current lease will be pushing into mile overage in about 2mths, so I must move on a car soon. The new Jetta is leasing quite well now apparently.

At this point, they should offer a winter package. As an accessory for those who want a certain feature, but don't want to go up in trim. You could just go up to the SE.
    True, could go to SE...but more money, less fuel efficient, motor i hear is a little rough. Also gets me into other things I don't need...such as larger wheels.
    Leasing it would be just a slight bump-up in monthly payments. In past, I usually just buy it and trade in if I keep less than 3 years.
    Winter package should've have been made available for the S trim in U.S.,
    but knowing what VW has done in the past...they'll introduce it in March!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    "the S model is decontented, but compared to a base model Civic, this vehicle shines."

Equipping it with the ancient 2 L, 8 valve engine goes beyond "decontenting".
    Yes, thanks for reminding me of that fact. I'll choose my words more carefully.
    The engine being used is ancient, a direct descendant of the original 1.5 or
    1.6 litre block used in the 70's into the early 80s. I'm not happy about that
    either. Other than that, the features were generous. Of course, for modern
    needs, such as Bluetooth, Sirius-XM satellite radio, navigation, and the missing armrest, then you get the bigger 2.5 engine...for thousands higher.
    Perhaps a different car for you all together. See, I am not so sure it was the right move for VW to even lower their price to begin with. They want the brand to be more accessible, however people were already buying them with the higher price. We want that quality and build. Not a cheaper price at the expense of quality. The price wasn't bad to begin with. It was reasonable.

If they keep the SE and SEL models flowing, that will keep the car successful! The S is a bit disappointing. Though, I have noticed that many didn't buy the S to begin with, I see many SE, TDI', GLI, and wolfsburgs. A few S models here and there.

I saw a 2008 RED Wolfsburg 2.0T the other day and it was gorgeous!! That was one sharp looking car. I want it! I am not sure the new Jetta will be able to pull that feeling off.
    I agree with ya.

And speaking of '08 Wolfs, I have one and love it, same engine as the GLI, but my insurance is cheaper. Let us know if ya get it.
  • Saw the 2011 Jetta today. I believe it was an SE because it had a 2.5L engine. I'm looking for a 6M TDI, so I just checked out the interior and exterior. From the back, the car looks like an A4. Lots of room in the trunk and in the passenger compartment. The interior finish is not much of a departure from the 09 Sportswagen I have, just a little tweak here and there. Not Audi caliber, but not Audi-priced either. Obviously, does not look like a Japanese car, has a European feel. Nav is improved (touch-screen), radio antenna is similar to other Euro sedans (like sharks' fin), turn signals, too. Option for keyless ignition with start/stop button,

Those looking for high-end features (i.e. HID/Xenon lights, active cruise control, lane departure alerts, etc.) at a bargain price will be sorely disappointed. For the price, the car is OK, meaning, it's reasonably priced. The saying, "You get what you pay for" seems appropriate in this instance.

I'd buy one if they can meet my specs, above. I'm very happy with my TDI wagon, I'll trade in my 06 330xi for the 2011 Jetta, with a big smile. If they will offer 4motion, so much the better.

Enjoy the ride. M
  • orbit9090orbit9090 Posts: 110
    edited October 2010
    Finally got a chance to sit inside a new 2011 VW Jetta.

Here's our humble opinion:

Once squeezed down through the low door opening and seated, it became apparent the Jetta sits too low and cramped compared to our Saturn ION.

The Jetta's drivers seat travel was impressive but the steering wheel did not telescope-out enough to accommodate the lengthy seat travel. Yeah, the Jetta's back seat is a little bigger than last years...big woo.

The Jetta's levers and switches seem cheap and flimsy compared to our Toyota Corolla.

The Jetta's exterior styling is non-existent. In person, the Jetta's bland lines somehow impersonate the unfortunate Mitsubishi Galant.

We obviously don't have overly high standards, owning an ION and a Corolla, but nonetheless, we were so disappointed in the new Jetta, we did not even bother to drive the thing. :sick:

If you have even lower standards than we do, you may be fine with it, but it is still overpriced.
    Thats what I've been saying, as a Jetta V owner, the Jetta VI is not very good. No way I'd think about Jetta VI........drum brakes?? Huge trunk hinges that take away useable room in there, and yes I have needed all the room in the trunk a few times.

The list goes on and on................is this just a bad dream?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    edited October 2010
    We obviously don't have overly high standards, owning an ION and a Corolla, but nonetheless, we were so disappointed in the new Jetta, we did not even bother to drive the thing.

Oh my, that is certainly a bad sign for this new Jetta...getting dissed by Ion owners. :surprise:
    Yeah, I got a little uneasy, reading the ION and Jetta in the same sentence.

:)

Thanks for the reviews.
    Get used to it.....Jetta VI is meant to get people into showrooms....." $15,995 new Jetta" VW dealers gotta pull bait 'n' switch on people now, thats gonna go over well.
  • chuck1919chuck1919 Posts: 176
    I too sat in an 2011 Jetta to day. One word sums it up - "Industrial". The interior while functional is downright plain. It reminds me of sitting in someone's delivery truck.

Let me be honest, I have never owned a Volkswagen. IMHO- this new Jetta is going to "BOMB".

Volkswagen has never understood the North American market. The "old VW BUG" sold on price alone.

After that it's been all downhill.
    They took the best seller here (in Germany Golf outsells Jetta 130-1) and decided if we like sedans they will give us what we want.....a big appliance.

Unfortunately they may sell alot of em on price, I hope you are right and it doesnt sell and they will realize they goofed. Time will tell.
  • tacalintacalin Posts: 7
    edited October 2010
    at the right moment, I think.

I leased a VW Rabbit 2007 and as my lease will end in january, I wanted to see what option the dealer will offer me. I was looking mostly for a TDI one. Jetta 2011 was up at the moment (july) and at least in the pictures looked nice.

This monday, I was at the dealer to see the new Jetta and I was really disapointed. First of all, the armrest is cheap (no more leather on) and is not sliding, nor vertically adjusted. The vents in the back of the armrest are not there anymore, the finish of the clothing is cheap too (on the door for example), the plastic on the dash is harder and looks cheaper too. So much for the aspect.

For the "inside" things, I really am disapointed to see the return of the torsion bar in suspension and also the return of the hydraulic steering assist instead of the electrical one.

I asked the dealer if for the high line trim I could have some more quality and he told me that there is nothing that he can offer me and that this is the way VW decided to cut the production cost. In my opinion, this is not a good direction for VW and I think that the Jetta 2011 will be a big fiasco for VW.

Fortunately, I was able to find a last model of a comfort line Wagon 2010 full equipped (in Canada is named Golf Wagon). For me, it's surely a good choice, since the interior and the functionality are similar to my Rabbit.
    They should have used GM as an example of what not to do. More is not always better. Now is not the time to test out a new approach. Stick with what you know VW! You simply can't cut costs down on a car that people look for quality on and will pay the money for! People will notice! This is what sets VW apart from others, that you can get a reasonable priced car that feels expensive! I might have my mom keep her leased 08 Jetta!!

I will test drive one! But, it will be an SEL.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    There is only one small rubber gasket around the door windows. My '07 Accord has at least two very large rubber gaskets.

I would insist in driving a demo car on the freeway to determine noise levels....
  • Just wanted to add that I commute around 45 miles and around 1h30m / day and the interior & comfort of a car seem to become so important when you spend as much time in your car