Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Comments

• puffins,
    Not many here have pulled the trigger as I am about to do. Did they go under MSRP for you and if so , how much. I'm not ready to make an offer until I feel the market.

JP
  • MSRP was around $22.6k. Via email, a few dealers were willing to go to just below $22k, and then a couple were at the $21.2k range (including delivery), which was the breaking point I found.
    I still haven't seen any others on the road, but I needed new wheels as my other car had become completely unreliable. So, I may not have hit absolute rock bottom, but multiple dealers told me to take the $21.2k deal, for whatever that's worth.
    Very happy after a week of commuting, but time will tell.
  • chuck1chuck1 Posts: 1,405
    It doesn't look like there is a lot of "wiggle room" on the sticker price. It's not that uncommon when the manufacturer comes out of the gate priced competitively.

Can others chime in on the reliability of the 2.5 ? I am in sales and drive 125 to 150 miles a day and am looking at the Jetta. A bought a new '07 Accord in January of '08 and it has been trouble free and now has 85,000 miles on it. As a matter of fact, it's turning out to be one of the best cars I have ever owned.

Be real....should I consider the Jetta? (SE w/Conv. pkg. minus the sunroof).

Thanks!
  • Regardless of what puffins says, you cannot buy a 2011 Jetta SE Auto w/Conv & Snrf for $21.2k. The net cost for the dealer on this specific car is $21,311 and when you consider that there are still '10 models left, they are not ready just yet to lose money selling a '11 vehicle which has only been out a couple of weeks. Get Real!
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    edited October 2010
    I don't think anyone really knows the true dealer cost, except the owner of the dealership.

But I don't see that puffin mentioned an automatic. If it was a manual, then I can get $20,840-$21,140 from truecar or overstock in about 30 seconds. They'd add their "service/document fee" to that, but I happen to know the one who is quoted at $21,140 adds only $89...so that'd be right at $21.2K.
    I'm confused on Edmunds and some other places I see a base Jetta at MSRP of $14,995 and they also list a Jetta S at $15,995. But at vw.com the cheapest version they show is the S at $15,995. I also thought on the TV ads they were showing a price of $14,995, but I could be mistaken.

I'm just curious about this apparent discrepancy, no interest in buying one or anything...
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    along with the 2011 jetta's new lower price also comes with less standard features that were found on previous years jetta's such as 4-wheel disk brakes and 170hp engine which is only standard now on the top of the line model jetta's.....
  • Either way it looks like we could cut a few hundred off MSRP and feel better about ourselves. Paying MSRP is too nauseating for me.
    edited October 2010
    Let's be real here. Invoice IS NOT INVOICE. Only the dealer knows the true cost of the car.

For example - invoice $20,000.00
    2% Factory Holdback 400.00
    $19,600.00 True Cost I could buy the car for $19,800.00 and still have the dealer make $200.00. This is an example ONLY.

There are also other discounts such as a dealer committing to a large allocation of cars, there would be additional dollars in the deal for the dealer. In addition, The dealer (in theory) could sell a car BELOW COST but arrange the financing and make several "points" on the loan. Etc., etc.

isell-nothing personal intended here, but from what you have stated, I feel you are really have a lack of understanding on what dealers will and can do depending on the market they are selling to. There is a ruthless competitive nature of a market like Southern California where I reside. There are crazy deals out there for almost every make depending on how desperate any given dealer is.
  • It was an automatic and it was $21.2k delivery included.
    Not sure what get real means, I'm not saying that this is what the market is, just that those were the details of my purchase. I do think some of the dealers I was in contact with thought I was bluffing, but I did have this offer from two different dealers.
  • I did not mention in my last post that the " get real" comment indicates anger issues or a personality prob that is embarrassing but to move on to the topic, dealers need to get these on the road and make a new customer. I am already a good deal below MSRP without a struggle. "Get real" and go have a talk with your dealer and they will budge.
  • I cannot comment on the 2011, but I have a 2009 Jetta SE, a 2007 Jetta SE, and a 2008 New Beetle Convertible, all with automatic transmission and the 2.5 5 cylinder engine. All three have been great, with no engine or transmission issues. The 2.5 is peppy, but still gets good gas mileage. I am also a salesman and drive quite a bit on the freeways. The VW's all have exceptional seats and ride. I can drive 3-4 hours easily without having to stop and stretch my back and legs. I had two Toyota Camrys which while reliable were about the worst highway cars you could imagine.

The Jetta's 6 speed Tiptronic automatic is smooth, and does not jerk around when downshifting, such as on a long hill on the freeway.

Buy the Jetta - you won't be disappointed.

Bel Air Car Guy.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    edited October 2010
    I sat in the SE today. I agree, it reminds me of the sharky Mitsubishi Galant, a little of the 2000 Honda Accord headlight up front and the Audi A4 in the back.

The interior with its hard plastic did remind me of my old 1994 BMW 325is. Nothing bad and I just take it as German design.

I actually like this design and this would be my first VW if I buy but reading about the maintenance cost is a little discouraging. Is it really that high? :cry:

My current car is a '07 Honda Fit that just hums along $29 oil change after oil change and its now over 114k miles. Is the VW ownership experience drastically different?
    Bel Air Car Guy,
    Thanks!
    How many miles on the Jetta(s) do you have?

BTW-I really don't see the "big deal" with the hard plastics. As long as it is not what you rest your arm on, who cares?
    edited October 2010
    You do get three years of free maintenance on VWs.

Surely in 115K mi, you have done more than oil changes? Edmunds estimates $378 for the 60K mi maintenance on a Honda Fit; http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/select.html

On our 2005.5, if you follow the VW schedule it does not seem all that different from my 2007 Mazda. The significant additional items that come to mind are brake fluid changes are specified by VW and not Mazda and VW specifies spark plug change at 4 years 40,000 miles...but after warranty, I'd do these things (or not) on the same schedule for any car, no matter what the maintenance schedule says.

The biggest difference seems to be that VW has long lists of items to inspect and check. I don't know if these things are critical, I had them done at 20K mi and 40K mi, in case they might identify possible warranty problems. But I finagled my way into getting them done free or nearly free, rather than as part of the dealer's over-priced packages. On a new one, the 20K should be free and at 40K all you would have is a power train warranty.

Now that we are out of warranty, I also don't plan to pay for dealer maintenance packages and will instead order maintenance "ala-cart". I'll actually probably go to an independent mechanic, who I trust to point out any problems that he sees when the car is in for routine maintenance.

If I was one who went to the dealer and said "do the X mile maintenance", I think the main difference would be that the 20K mi VW package would cost about what the 30K mi Mazda package does and the 40K VW would be like the 60K Mazda. So if you do things that way, VW would definitely cost more...after the first 3 years.

VW does require synthetic oil, so changes are more expensive, but required less frequently.
    Thinking about the cost of potential ownership as well before I buy a Jetta. My '07 Honda Accord has had two brake jobs, both front and rear, several transmission "drain and fills". And of course oil changes done at the local "Speedy Lube". The brake jobs and transmission services I have performed myself. "Over the counter" parts are plentiful for this car.

The car has 85K on it. It appears that is a little hard on brakes.
  • My 2007 Jetta Se has 52,000 miles. The 2009 Jetta SE has 29,500 miles. Interestingly enough, the 2007 drives just as good as the 2009. Steering and suspension are still tight, no body rattles etc. Usually a car will loosen up over time, and the suspension becomes mushy, steering sloppy etc. Not so with the Jetta.

I also agree with the hard plastic not being a problem, unless it is an area you rest your arm or touch constantly. All cars use some hard plastic. Go look at a Toyota if you want to see cheap hard plastic!

Good luck with the Jetta.

Bel Air Car Guy.
  • kagedudekagedude Posts: 407
    edited October 2010
    Surely in 115K mi, you have done more than oil changes? Edmunds estimates $378 for the 60K mi maintenance on a Honda Fit; http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/select.html

Thanks for the info! I'll definitely keep that in mind on my next purchase. I actually do ala cart as well as the packaged service items are definitely just profit makers for the dealer. Regarding my Fit, all oil changes until the 100k mile tuneup schedule for the major maintenance items (radiator fluid at 101k, preventively changed the orig front brakes at 104k, battery at 107k and the orig spark plugs at 113k). Our dealer actually is nice enough to tell me what I don't need like my belt which I was worried about but the service tech said its not even near an issue. Maybe sometimes driving a lot is better for the car? :P I do want to avoid the surge of maintenance costs after warranty so I'd like to trade the car in and the new Jetta is what caught my eye. :blush:
    Much of those big "checkups" are inspect this, inspect that, and are totally unneeded.

At 60K the big "dollar amount item" is that most cars call for a transmission fluid exchange. That's about $100.00 to $200.00 depending on the car. The other $200.00 to $300.00 of the checkup dollars is paying a tech to look at your exhaust system and saying -"Yep! no holes have been punched in it!".

Total Ripoff! You can bet any place that changes your oil always keeps an eye out for things they can possibly do for you to increase the repair bill.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,721
    I might be pulling the trigger on a new 2011 Jetta SE lease. 15k, Sign and then drive Event.

My dealer might be able to absorb most of the negative equity on my current 08 G6 lease. I apparently could get a decent discount on top of the $500 discount for them being a GM dealer. So I could be looking at nearly nothing to roll into the next deal. Exciting!

I am looking at a white SE, with upgraded wheels! Very sharp. This model I want is on a black SE. But, I am not sure I want black. Though it does look very sharp.

I could be looking at $340-390 payment. I am waiting for them to work with GM. Not bad! Considering I am trading in a G6. Even with no discount my negative equity is down to $2,000. Not bad!!

Though, I am wondering if the Jetta SE with the convenience package has navigation??

I have been looking at a Jetta or Camry. I would like the Jetta.

Any advice is appreciated.